Danish Businessman Attacked And Robbed In Pattaya

webfact

The Dane explains that the attack was ordered by the owner of a property

that he was leasing from her and carried out by her staff and her

husband. The money was brought into the meeting to pay for a renewal of

the lease.

Sorry, he deserved to get robbed. Pay in advance! Pay in cash! Pay 40% more! No thanks, here is a security deposit. Give me your bank account and I will transfer my payments to your bank. Pay in advance (please give me a 10% discount).

Well I know what I would do after I was healthy.

When you will visit Thailand for the first time in your life ?

• Like 1

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the lease.

Sorry, he deserved to get robbed. Pay in advance! Pay in cash! Pay 40% more! No thanks, here is a security deposit. Give me your bank account and I will transfer my payments to your bank. Pay in advance (please give me a 10% discount).

That exactly show that you never had done any business in Thailand !

The 420.000 was the agreed price after discount for 1 year, payment up front etc.

So please do not waste our time with your ideas !!!

The problem here is that she did not sign the contract and tried to cheat him out of it, it is seen many times in Thailand, therefore never come alone to such things etc.

She comes from a rich family, but how did they become rich ?? Many families are rich the criminal way !

As i wrote very early in this thread, 2 of the richest families on Phuket have members sitting in for murder, Bayshore family and the thaworn family, some of the biggest hotel owners on the island, killed some because of greed !!

But they did not get away with it as they had expected !!!!!

So the Dane shall of course fight them in court, get compensation of several millions etc.

But it is riscky !!

the lease.

For the last 18 years, twice a year, now living here for 2 years, and have never had any problems, but then I wouldn't pay anyone, anywhere, in any country, in cash for any amount over 30,000 baht. Especially for something that I don't own, like rent. A car, a motor bike, a watch, a TV, computer, etc. sure, I have it in my possession and a receipt and I walk out the door with it. For rent? Crazy, "no BiB he damaged my house so I evicted him and he hasn't paid his rent either" ... "wait wait that is not true I gave them 420.000 for a year!" ... "mai koh chai English, receipt? damage?"

All business is not done in cash here. Only the crooked business.

I bought my car via a bank transfer. I pay my rent via a bank transfer. I pay my utility bills via bank transfers and it was buying a property here it would be with a cashier's cheque made out to the vendor and crossed a/c payee. And if I couldn't do that then I wouldn't do it at all.

A cashier cheques here are not the same as in other countries !

I just tell you what is going on !

I also think it is total crazy, but even some of the real big companies do it that way !

Maybe a lot of it is tax fraud, but for sure most is because people don´t trust each other.

Most car companies does not accept cashier cheques, i seen that, i tried that, but i took the car salesman to the bank and gave him the money there, then i not have to go anywhere with them 5555 !

I agree with you KBAA, I have never seen any business here in Thailand done with anything but cash. Cars, houses, etc. and etc.

Reminds me of Mexico 40 - 50 years ago. I ran a business down there, all cash.. Same here 40 - 50 years later. coffee1.gif

the lease.

For the last 18 years, twice a year, now living here for 2 years, and have never had any problems, but then I wouldn't pay anyone, anywhere, in any country, in cash for any amount over 30,000 baht. Especially for something that I don't own, like rent. A car, a motor bike, a watch, a TV, computer, etc. sure, I have it in my possession and a receipt and I walk out the door with it. For rent? Crazy, "no BiB he damaged my house so I evicted him and he hasn't paid his rent either" ... "wait wait that is not true I gave them 420.000 for a year!" ... "mai koh chai English, receipt? damage?"

18 years on the bottom of a vodka bottle i can read !

Here is it very normal that rent is paid up in advance for a year or more, that was the contract for, but she would not sign it !

One more who not have a clue about what is going on in this country, so pay 10-100 Million in rent in advance !!!

But of course it is so much money that you not understand such things, just have to figure out how to pay for the next bottle of vodka !!!!

Jeez! where does this shit end? I love Thailand I really do but these stories (irrespective of the fact I cannot stop reading them) really make me angry, we all love money and some of us might well consider doing questionable things in the pursuit of it. However, these stories of Thai people willing to injure maim and even murder farang's to steal their money and posessions sickens me to the core. What's wrong with these people? Thailand.......so beautiful and so deadly.

Thai people willing to injure maim and even murder farang's

Does it only bother you that they are willing to do this to farangs?

If I was a criminal and I read what many foreigners say here about Thais and Thailand combined with the fact foreigners generally have more money and often easy targets, I think they would be my main target. Tourists are targets all over the world and although certainly nothing to brag about the murder rate in Thailand is about equal to that in the US and its neighbor Laos. Keep in mind that news in general is generally negative and highlights the worst part of society but that the news you read here is geared for the foreign community and it will contain every incident against a foreigner that will get our attention. There is a violence problem here without any doubt but the vast majority of farangs that travel here don't experience violence and are much more likely to do harm to themselves through excess party and things like driving a motorbike while intoxicated and/or without a helmet.

No doubt these incidents are sickening and it is good to be aware of them but they are not the norm and the vast majority of people, like most places, are good people. One great lesson most can learn from this culture is to focus on the good while being aware of the bad. Too much focusing on the news anywhere can make somebody have a negative outlook.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

the lease.

The 420.000 was the agreed price after discount for 1 year, payment up front etc.

The problem here is that she did not sign the contract and tried to cheat him out of it, it is seen many times in Thailand, therefore never come alone to such things etc.

She comes from a rich family, but how did they become rich ?? Many families are rich the criminal way !

As i wrote very early in this thread, 2 of the richest families on Phuket have members sitting in for murder, Bayshore family and the thaworn family, some of the biggest hotel owners on the island, killed some because of greed !!

So the Dane shall of course fight them in court, get compensation of several millions etc.

But it is riscky !!

Yes please, I agree to a discount of 40% increase? And I have to pay in cash so you can then avoid taxes. And you want me to pay you where? Yes I am dumb let me carry it with me, in a clear plastic bag for all the world to see.

I have never done business in Thailand, like this, but I would not do business, like this, anywhere. This is the silly Thai mentailty. "Oh this is how it is don,e in Thailand" ... "Who gives a F how it is done in Thailand, there are other places to rent. Bye bye."

We have a saying. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

/ Quote /

the lease.

/ quote /

18 years on the bottom of a vodka bottle i can read !

Here is it very normal that rent is paid up in advance for a year or more, that was the contract for, but she would not sign it !

One more who not have a clue about what is going on in this country, so pay 10-100 Million in rent in advance !!!

But of course it is so much money that you not understand such things, just have to figure out how to pay for the next bottle of vodka !!!!

Yes, you can clearly tell by more poor use of English that I am a heavy drinker, and the best I could do was come to Thailand so I could drink Thai whiskey.

So you are stupid enough to pay 10 or a 100 million in advance, good for you. I guess you believe corruption is acceptable too.

I wonder if we'll see any follow-up on this in the press - or is that a silly question? coffee1.gif

I think you already know the answer.

With most of these stories we can only speculate and will probably never get to know the full facts, so what`s the point of assuming anything?

In a day of two this thread will be at the bottom of the pile and the story forgotten, never to rear it`s head again.

the lease.

But it is riscky !!

Yes please, I agree to a discount of 40% increase? And I have to pay in cash so you can then avoid taxes. And you want me to pay you where? Yes I am dumb let me carry it with me, in a clear plastic bag for all the world to see.

I have never done business in Thailand, like this, but I would not do business, like this, anywhere. This is the silly Thai mentailty. "Oh this is how it is don,e in Thailand" ... "Who gives a F how it is done in Thailand, there are other places to rent. Bye bye."

We have a saying. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

You may be missing something.

He was paying in cash. Why on earth, if he was just being ripped off, would they feel the need to try and basically kill him for the money.

She could have just taken the money, not signed the docs and then told him to leave and she could have walked out with the money. No problem for her, his word against hers.

But now she has ordered (allegedly) the goons to get him and it is on video so she is in a pickle.

I just don't see the logic in it. She could take the money and run. But she decides to try and kill him instead.

I would guess, and a wild guess, that the guy was more then happy that his property/lease of whatever business it was earned enough money in the last year or so that he was ok with the increase demanded. So he thought that business was good and the extra demanded meant he still was making a nice little profit so went along with it.

He's also done business with her before so didn't think there would be an issue with his life being in danger.

It sounds all quite reasonable to me on his part. But on her's? Just taking the money and saying he never paid would be the logical thing to do instead of bodily harm which will now cause her grief.

sorry but the story does not add up.

For starters the owner of LK Metropole and the rest of same brand is the same family.

This family certainly has enough money.

Why would he pay 300 000 or 420 000 for the lease? key money? or rent? who pays rent upfront?

He says he has been renting for 2 years already, but usual business lease contracts are 3 by 3 and so on.

So either he is not telling the full truth or is confused.

Another rather funny part, he claims he does not want to name the person but yet names the business they own, which is commonly known to everyone in Pattaya

For starters the owner of LK Metropole and the rest of same brand is the same family.

Why would he pay 300 000 or 420 000 for the lease? key money? or rent? who pays rent upfront?

He says he has been renting for 2 years already, but usual business lease contracts are 3 by 3 and so on.

Another rather funny part, he claims he does not want to name the person but yet names the business they own, which is commonly known to everyone in Pattaya

Well for the last part of you query I will guess, again.

He may be of the view that naming the business place is a lot safter than naming the person. For defamation reasons.

Isn't it quite handy for some that he does?

Edited by FDog

Because leases are USUAL 3 years it is not possible he had a year by year contract ?

Because leases are USUAL 3 years it is not possible he had a year by year contract ?

It is possible, but you will find the said family does not do year by year.

This i know for a fact, because i rent from them

They also do not ask for yearly rental upfront

Also if it was year by year, i would imagine he would have said that he paid last year with no problems.

I am only guessing but it is also possible that he did not pay rent for a very long time as well as the meeting was NOT with the said family.

Edited by lemoncake

He may be of the view that naming the business place is a lot safter than naming the person. For defamation reasons.

sorry i do not follow you.

what is handy for some that he does?

and what you will guess again?

Only fools do business with Thais.

Keep thinking that. More money for those of us who do.

Keep thinking that, more money for the Thais who'll do you.

So, when are you leaving, and have you got any bargains for sale ?

Sorry, just saying it is handy for some that he does name the place. So those that do business with them can be a bit careful.

If they so wish.

Sorry, just saying it is handy for some that he does name the place. So those that do business with them can be a bit careful.

If they so wish.

notedthumbsup.gif

though i found them to be pretty good and fair so far, they even agreed to register the contract(lease) which is very rare for landlords in Thailand

If they so wish.

notedthumbsup.gif

though i found them to be pretty good and fair so far, they even agreed to register the contract(lease) which is very rare for landlords in Thailand

If your lease is more than 3 years it has to be registered by law.

If they so wish.

notedthumbsup.gif

haha, i guess you have not rented business premises yet.

ask thai landlord to register and see what the response would be.

If you get a yes, he/she would expect you to pay land tax and withholding tax

very very few do it by law and even then it gets little bend, because they register the lease at 1/3 of what is actually being paid

very very few do it by law and even then it gets little bend, because they register the lease at 1/3 of what is actually being paid

you're probably right about that, however registering a lease cost only little money. and when it's not registered the landlord can do what he wants because you don't have a valid lease.

So if he decides to cancel the lease or rises the price there is nothing you can do.

you're probably right about that, however registering a lease cost only little money. and when it's not registered the landlord can do what he wants because you don't have a valid lease.

So if he decides to cancel the lease or rises the price there is nothing you can do.

you are absolutely right, and it is one of the reasons why so many landlords do not want to register it at all and those who may consider it expect you to pay all the money they would have to pay(taxes)

It is really difficult to find a fair landlord who is happy to go (closely) by the book.

With the OP it seems he did not even have a lease, this is why i am saying the story does not add up, and the amount of money is rather a large sum to be a "businessman" without any papers

Good for you, Ive bought my cars with cash, my motorbikes with cash, pay my rent with cash, pay my utility bills once again, with cash. Infact everything I can I try to pay with cash.

By using cash there is a very minial digital footprint other than the withdrawal of said cash at my Kasikorn bank branch which updates my passbook for easy tracking.

It seems that you may have more to hide than I do.

The whole point of not using cash is because the bank transaction, be it a transfer or a crossed cashier's cheque, gives you some traceability if you get ripped off. This can only be to my benefit and there is no way I can possibly lose anything from it.

do you really believe the point of using cheques,credit cards,bank drafts etc is for our benefit ? ,........its just so our govts can trace everything we do and everywhere we go , that goes for cctv too, its not there for our benefit its for big brother !

Can't understand why anybody would do business here. There's too much corruption. Just stick to being a tourist.

So, you're a tourist ?

so your thai are you ? , or is it some sort of crime to be a tourist ?..... admittedly in many cases we have to do business with thais for accommodation , food ,car hire and 100s of other services , but going into a business deal with a thai is not a smart move from my experience and that goes for so many other farangs too , sure shit happens everywhere and things do go tits up , but in most other places you can go to the police or a lawyer and have an even chance of success , try doing that in thailand especially in in a case like this danish guy doing biz with some gready thai hi-so family , ..... i will bet you he gets no justice , the same as every other farang who has been robbed by a thai biz partner ....................you may not be a tourist but unless you've experienced the thai racist system robbing you blind you may as well be, as you dont know what that experience is like , i hope your lucky enough not to . .........don't get fooled into the false sense of security cos you have a wonderful marriage with your younger thai wife either,.....................nothing lasts forever, least of all a business in thailand !

This statement is factually incorrect.

He did name the person and the family that he believes tried to kill him.

It's in his facebook posting. He just didn't want the name published in the newpaper article.

we all love money and some of us might well consider doing questionable things in the pursuit of it. However, these stories of Thai people willing to injure maim and even murder farang's to steal their money and posessions sickens me to the core. What's wrong with these people? .

Keep calling yourself "farang", and they will more likely see you as something different, and that makes you an an even easier target of scams, and killings.

Please, don't be silly I call myself by my name? The term Farang is the most widely used name for westerners living in Thailand and one which everybody knows. Poimtless inane comment.