BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Hi-So Holidays Harder To Afford For Phuket Tourists

@NKM

You're well known for your "Chicken Little" syndrome.

Been hearing it for years from numerous people, yet every year more and more tourists come.

All the problems described have been in Phuket for decades, yet every year sees more records broken for tourist arrivals.

The sky has not fallen and it won't fall in eight years time, either.

• Like 2

precisely why i avoid Phuket like a plague. In Bangkok I can have a world class meal for 300 baht, be treated no differently than any of the other middle class Thais sitting next to me, with genuinely great food. After dinner, I can jump into an air conditioned cab, pay 70 baht for a ride halfway across town, and maybe even get a smile at the end of it. If I want the beach, I can go down to Sam Roi Yod or Baan Krut, where nobody hassles me, quotes me farcical prices for a tuk tuk ride, nor any other aggravation. It's a pity such a nice place became one of the world's biggest eyesores.

Really now? I suspect you should review your understanding of the therm "world-class" or ease up on the hyperbole.

In a "world-class" eatery, it is unlikely you could get a beer for 300 Baht, let alone an entire meal.

I asked the very same question, still no responce........

This kind of thing irks me no end, and is in the same vein as people saying street food is the best.... followed swiftly by the complaints about being sick

So then you guys are sayin' that McDonald's is not world class? Even after I've spent my ฿300?? ermm.gif

Edited by iSabai
  • Like 1

Phuket is now a high cost place to visit. It is not cheap. Price fluxuations,are normal. A shit hole hotel in London costs a small fortune. English people the world over are know for whinging and moaning and,want cheap. But their own country is,expensive.

If people dont want to.pay the prices ANYWHERE they will not go to that place and numbers will determine pricing.

Same in Phuket. I agree the place is getting expensive but that is more Patong. Other parts are better.

If too expensive to go... Stay home

I agree with this ..The main point being not ALL of Phuket is ridiculous pricing ..Patong for sure ..But , the Island is much more than Patong .

Last time in Patong , I noticed it seemded to be even more xxxxy than Kata ..used to be the other way round . There are still some good spots , its not all about Patong.

precisely why i avoid Phuket like a plague. In Bangkok I can have a world class meal for 300 baht, be treated no differently than any of the other middle class Thais sitting next to me, with genuinely great food. After dinner, I can jump into an air conditioned cab, pay 70 baht for a ride halfway across town, and maybe even get a smile at the end of it. If I want the beach, I can go down to Sam Roi Yod or Baan Krut, where nobody hassles me, quotes me farcical prices for a tuk tuk ride, nor any other aggravation. It's a pity such a nice place became one of the world's biggest eyesores.

Really now? I suspect you should review your understanding of the therm "world-class" or ease up on the hyperbole.

In a "world-class" eatery, it is unlikely you could get a beer for 300 Baht, let alone an entire meal.

I asked the very same question, still no responce........

This kind of thing irks me no end, and is in the same vein as people saying street food is the best.... followed swiftly by the complaints about being sick

So then you guys are sayin' that McDonald's is not world class? Even after I've spent my ฿300?? ermm.gif

Thats one thing that I sure dont understand in THAI ............Macdonalds , such great food everywhere and dudes consume this S*it ,

When travelling I always go for the local street food rather than over-priced and tourist oriented restaurants.

when travelling, I dont make rules and wide sweping generalizations about what i do and do not eat.

I eat whatever the hell i please.

In fact i do that when i am at home too.

Edited by candypants

@NKM

Been hearing it for years from numerous people, yet every year more and more tourists come.

All the problems described have been in Phuket for decades, yet every year sees more records broken for tourist arrivals.

True ..

BUT , far from the same levels of Drama for " Decades " . Check how many place to stay in Phuket 25 years ago ..It will suprise .

I love Phuket ...however the planning on the Island ( of development ) could have been a little better .

Maybe try somewhere else in Thailand if Phuket is too expensive?

a bottle of beer that costs 70 baht (just under £2)

Since when is £1.57 'just under' £2?

You can get lovely freshly squeezed OJ from a street vendor for ฿20 (75 satang north of 43p at today's rate)

Certainly you meant 10 Baht fo fresh squeezed and 7 Baht for the slush variety.

Aussie dollar still looking good , has only dropped 2 baht. from 32 to 30. six years ago it was only 25 baht .

That's what I was thinking when I was reading the article.

Obviously the author is upset because his country's currency has dropped.

Not all currencies are dropping vs the baht.

But yes, things are more expensive than they used to be. (it's called inflation)

One item I've bought here year after year is Havana Club 3 year old rum. It was about ฿530 or less for years. Then suddenly ฿680 this year. That's not inflation, that's greed, like may things here. Plus the exchange rate should lower the price for most imported items, not raise them, including fuel. Again, greed.

Edited by Jimi007

The Thai government should take time to think about the value of the Thai baht as they rely heavily on tourism from the west, which if they do nothing, will rapidly diminish.

Tourism to Thailand accounts for between 5% to 6% of Thai GDP. If most tourists are now coming from Russia, China and Australia, then the percentage from Western tourists is probably less than 3% of GDP. Kind of makes your statement that the Thai government "relies" on it, rather silly.

The major benefit of a strong Baht is cheaper energy costs as oil is denominated in US dollars. If oil is cheap, the cost of most manufactured products also become cheaper due to either oil as a source for a raw material (i.e. plastics, fertilizers) and/or transportation costs go down. This leads to higher profits for Thai manufacturers.

Otherwise I agree, but high Bath will make the labor expenses higher when exporting the products out of Thailand.

Oil and gas prices are defined by the supply and demand. USD is only one way to show the price.

Ita a vacation for most, if you dont save for your vacation then you shouldnt take one. If you cant afford a beer dont buy one. Thailand has plenty to offer everyone.

Edited by jrincon17

Oil and gas prices are defined by the supply and demand. USD is only one way to show the price.

Yes oil is traded in US Dollars, but if you think the price of gas is based on supply and demand you have been duped into oil company rhetoric!

Yes oil is traded in US Dollars, but if you think the price of gas is based on supply and demand you have been duped into oil company rhetoric!

Fine "supply and demand". Yes it's an cartel, but it still does follow the same rules, even if there is a latency between changes.

It was quite interesting to hear few years ago how Canada is selling it's oil to USA, and then import oil from Venezuela for their own usage, which the USA can not do.

Messy world of politics and economy.

@NKM

I've heard the "killed the golden goose" thing before KB, not sure what the "Chicken Little" thing is.

Anyway, there maybe more tourists coming here, but they are Chinese and Russian. Neither nationality are "starry eyed" enough to go back home, sell their house, and come back over here and buy a bar girl, property and and a bar/salon, and send money to Issan.

All those hundreds and hundreds of farang beer bars and businesses - what do you think will become of them in 8 years time????

Of course, the sky will not fall down on Phuket, but the real question is, what is the Phuket administration doing to "hold the sky up?"

Answer - absolutely nothing.

Edited by NamKangMan

I must say I enjoy when NKM and KB are sharpening their nails.. Please fight.

This is quite related to this discussion http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/627804-yingluck-urges-t-a-t-to-attract-more-high-end-tourists-into-thailand/

Thailand wishes to get more quality tourists who spends more while they are staying here. Basically the trend is at least noted on the top level of the country.

You say,who wants to holiday in England? The answer is,most of the world.It seems all of the world wants to visit England and no one wants to go back to their own country. England is a great place. When I tell people I am from england they always say the same thing,"You are lucky".

Even though we are ruled by a bunch of anti-british politicians (I mean Cameron,the Lib/Dem Con and the establishment)the indigenous people are sharp,modern and very intelligent. We are lucky to live in such a well organised country.Such a beautiful country,too.Could it be that people envy us!

Isn't England the place with never ending rain and grey skies? (At least it is in most movies :-)

English weather is pretty much like the state of New York, some days good, some days bad, some years we have too many grey days, and other years we are spoilt with lots of blue skies. We don't try to paint our country with rose coloured specs, so in movie and TV we portray it as it really is, sometimes raining and some days sunny

English weather, from what I've been told is more closer to Seattle than New York.