Fitness Club In Chiang Mai

johnburger

I know it is a silly question but does any one know of a fitness center with well maintained equipment and knowledgeable staff willing to help you even if you are not a good looking young chic but a wrinkled up old geyser?

I used to go to the Dongtawan central hotel but the equipment was never kept up and asking for information was a no no unless you were a good looking young chic. But the pool was nice.

I've been a member of a number of fitness clubs. One constant seems to be a consistent problem is keeping the equipment in proper repair, even after they have raised prices by 30% or more. I think it just part of the mai bpen rai attitude that permeates Thailand. I personally have settled at Fitness Thai primarily because they have a large selection of free weights and weight machines and my primary fitness goal is resistance training. What ticks me off the most is when they can keep the iron pins used to adjust the weight stacks connected to the machine, and why they can't keep the simply mechanisms in repair (belts, chains, seats, and pins primarily). And on a good day, only about 70% of the treadmill are working...maybe. But I've seen worse that is far more expensive. If I want to swim I go to the public pool. They also have a number of studios for aerobics, aerobic dance, spinning, and yoga. The group exercise is probably a plus if you're into that sort of thing. I'm just not.

Centra is OK is you just want a place to do modest resistance training and cardio, and they have a pool and a whirlpool and a pleasant 4th floor view of the city, but you're gonna pay much more. And they have the same sort of problems with maintenance. If budget's not a problem...then, no problem.

Edited by connda

The Shangri-la Hotel on Chan Klan, THB 20,000 per year, excellent gym, showers, sauna, whirlpool and swimming pool, usually empty in the early morning, never gets really busy anyway..

Do they have any one with knowledge enough to help an old git set up an exercise program and is the equipment maintained?

Fitness Thai has personal trainer's. I've seen them work with clients and they do a good job (especially if you're a hottie). They can tailor a program for you based on your wishes and goals. They have various price packages for their trainers.

Shangri la was 29k last time I checked 2 months ago. If it was 20k I would join.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All the gyms jacked their prices by 30% or more over the last year from what I can tell. Shangrila markets to a hi-so clientele, so if your pocketbook fits, enjoy.

Hi All, Thanks for the descriptions here. My question is even a bit more specific: does anyone know of any gyms in Chiang Mai that have bosu balls?

I'm looking for a place with a great free weight set up, my routine is all free weights:

- a proper squat rack with NO guide-tracks for the bar

- dead lift capabilities

- good range of dumbbells (kettlebells would be awesome too, but I'm not expecting that)

- box/boxes for step-up and jump routine

- bosu

My inclination is that Crossfit Chiang Mai would be a good place to find this kind of setup, but in addition to being pretty pricey you're not allowed to go and train individually as you would at a normal gym.

Any suggestions for most suitable place?

I'd be willing to go to any part of the city for that ideal setup.

Thanks!

Hey Crumple, I train over in City gym, it is the best gym in town for free weights, olympic size plates, Olympic Barbells, power rack, squat rack and heavy dumbells, it's got everything and yes a proper squat rack with no track guides. I train as a powerlifter and have competed in a few strong man events in the past so the bulk of my training is heavy Squats, Deadlifts and bench pressing, similar to what you are looking for, fees are 500 baht a year and pay as you go 30 baht each time, don't expect air-con and a swimming pool, it's a powerlifting gym, you can park outside and there's a shower in the back, you can google City Gym for map, send me a mail if you wanna do some deadlifts, oh and you can use chalk (they encourage it) and train bare foot if you want.

I found City Gym today for anyone interested. I've attached a Google Placemark that shows the location of the gym. Happy training!

City Gym Chiang Mai.kmz

Fitness Thai has personal trainer's. I've seen them work with clients and they do a good job (especially if you're a hottie). They can tailor a program for you based on your wishes and goals. They have various price packages for their trainers.

Too bad the trainers don't teach proper gym etiquette--rack your weights, use equipment for it's intended purpose and finish in a reasonable time so someone else can use it, don't tie up gym equipment while you play with your smartphone, etc. Perhaps the trainers don't know gym etiquette.

It's also puzzling that Fitness Thailand has money for big LCD TV's but no money for pins, belts, cables, or even a sufficient number of "Under Construction" signs to put on all their broken equipment.

The worst part is that they remain the best (or the least bad) option in Chiang Mai for someone looking for a big gym with lots of equipment.

Surprisingly after one mnth at Harris I find it is the best gym and huge pool (a bit chemical but I haven't compared to others which might be too) for my needs. Befriended the hotels parking attendants and now they find me a space right in front next to the Lamboginis, good coffee right before turning into the back lot etc all makes for nice experience unlike the horror of a parking lot at FT

Perhaps fool proof but never had much luck with idiots tongue.png It's on the 6th floor of the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel (not the hotel next to KSK Mall called Lotus something else). Go into the back lot, the one after the mall not the side lot before, and go around the back, not into the parking structure, and there is the hotel. Or you can enter that lot from another entrance on a side street. You can also get there by going thru the mall by taking a back elevator near the parking garage and going thru a lobby or even a back corridor from the bowling alley and end up inside the back of the gym. The easiest is to go into the lobby of the hotel and go up the elevator. They have a Facebook page which is linked to Bing maps if you don't know the area and this link http://www.chiangmaiplaces.com/949-harris-healthe-fitness-center. Good luck and just consider walking around for an hour looking for it your first workout which is even free!

Shangri la was 29k last time I checked 2 months ago. If it was 20k I would join.

All the gyms jacked their prices by 30% or more over the last year from what I can tell. Shangrila markets to a hi-so clientele, so if your pocketbook fits, enjoy.

Shangril-la membership can be had for under 25K quite easily and it's an excellent gym.

I have asked twice and been told 29k is the price. Could you pm me a contact because I would be very interested for 20k. Many thanks.

No I cannot - and I did say "under 25K", perhaps try asking if you can join a group of like minded individuals, or similar!

Here's a pic as promised. Another good thing is the a/c works well so I hope in hot season it will be a nice refuge. Also the pool was nice, a bit chlorinated for my liking, but at 30 mt long great for laps.

Are there 50 meter pools, also, in the Chiang Mai area? It is so nice when you can swim and do 50% less turning around.

There are two that I know of. One at the "new" 700 year centre outside of the city, and another one at a posh (?) hotel, also far outside the city. I can't remember the name of the hotel any longer, possibly out on the Mae Rim road, but perhaps some other member here can?

While I too like 50m pools, they are both too far away for me to bother going there, though I'm considering trying the hotel pool again, as my previously regular 25m pool have unfortunately reduced their closing time from 21:00 to 20:00.

Slightly amusing, this hotel has/had two locations in Chiang Mai. On inside the city, and another one far out in the wilderness. I remember going to it with a tuk-tuk my first time in CM, being pleasantly surprised by the low fare the tuk-tuk driver quoted me after I showed him the hotel on my map.

After some initial confusion, the staff at the hotel made me understand the hotel had two locations, and that I wanted the other one and that it was "far away, very expensive to go".

Being a young man traveling on a limited budget, I was not sure what "very expensive" meant.

A friendly off-duty policeman (or so he claimed) hanging around nearby and apparently noticing me entering the hotel and then leaving, with me studying the map and perhaps looking confused regarding what to do now was quite helpful however. He explained to me that, yes, it was indeed far away, and it would be best if I took a bus. He could even drive me to the bus station if I wanted.

Unlike what one might now think, he did not then proceed to drug and rob me. Instead he drove me to some place (I had no idea where at that time) on his motorbike. He then stopped one of those yellow/white/whatever buses that drive down the same road all the time, explained to the driver where I wanted to go, and asked him to let me know when I should get off. The cop then told me it should cost me 10B, or something like that, before he went on his way. Presumably to continue beating up his wife and extort other people.

I have asked twice and been told 29k is the price. Could you pm me a contact because I would be very interested for 20k. Many thanks.

I asked as well and was told 29K. I asked for a discount and was told they don't do them. They offer a 'corporate' and family memberships but you need a certain number of people to get a few K knocked off. I'm still considering paying 29K as the facilities are so good.

I also looked at

B2 - too small and quiet. Year membership is 20K but he would discount and give to me for 16K The police is too small to enjoy.

Chiang Mai Orchid - this used to be the place to be seen 10 years ago; lots of youngish well-educated farang hunters. The facilities are terrible now but only 8K.

Chiang Mai Orchid - this used to be the place to be seen 10 years ago; lots of youngish well-educated farang hunters. The facilities are terrible now but only 8K.

Never mind the facilities. Are the youngish women still there? (And not the same women that were youngish 10 years ago. ;-)

Never mind the facilities. Are the youngish women still there? (And not the same women that were youngish 10 years ago. ;-)

That's why I checked it out. I think the new generation has moved on to more modern gyms.

Here's a pic as promised. Another good thing is the a/c works well so I hope in hot season it will be a nice refuge. Also the pool was nice, a bit chlorinated for my liking, but at 30 mt long great for laps.

Are there 50 meter pools, also, in the Chiang Mai area? It is so nice when you can swim and do 50% less turning around.

I was mistaken (again), dbl checked the length and it's 50 mt (3 mt deep in far end) after wondering why someone would need a bigger pool then they have. Attaching photo proof! (disclaimer I don't own the hotel or even the water in the pool)

post-101742-0-60035700-1384305717_thumb.

I asked as well and was told 29K. I asked for a discount and was told they don't do them. They offer a 'corporate' and family memberships but you need a certain number of people to get a few K knocked off. I'm still considering paying 29K as the facilities are so good.

I also looked at

B2 - too small and quiet. Year membership is 20K but he would discount and give to me for 16K The police is too small to enjoy.

Tell them to call you the next time they open a group and they do so quite frequently, by putting together a number of people who don't want to pay the full price is how they discount.

• Like 1

Ratti Lanna Hotel on Chang Klan Rd has a nice gym and lovely pool. About 6000 baht for 6 mo, or so I've heard. Getting fat again, time to go back.

I agree with you Frank, its a bit out of the way for some but the gym is well looked after albeit a tad small. When I resided in Galae Thong apartments I used to go there a fair bit. Never very busy and the steam room was great after a workout. The pool is also very relaxing within a nice established surroundings.

Very friendly staff with complimentary towels and free water...just take your own drink boittle.

Havent been there for a long time so cant comment re membership fees.