Yingluck Urges T A T To Attract More ' High-End Tourists' Into Thailand

webfact

PM urges shift towards high-end tourists

BANGKOK, 22 March 2013 (NNT) - The prime minister has urged the Tourism Authority of Thailand to attract more "high-end tourists" into the country.

According to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, only 20 per cent of foreign tourists last year were from "high-end" markets. She urged the TAT to introduce measures to increase the proportion to 30 per cent.

She also asked the TAT to introduce measures to extend tourists' length of stay from five days to six days, and to keep the total number of tourists to an appropriate level in order to prevent deterioration of natural resources and overcrowding at Suvarnabhumi international airport.

Last year, Thailand saw a record number of 22.4 million tourists. The number makes it the 11th most popular destination in the world, and the 3rd in Asia behind China and Malaysia.

However, the average spending of a tourist is only 3,000 baht, or about 100 US dollars, per day.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-22 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they could always re-introduce that gold card scam ... :)

good luck wîth a strong baht and a trip to the international land of hookers becomes more and more costly with currencies dropping in value and a world recession

• Like 2

How about an improvement of services before Thailand thinks of increasing high end tourists. I should think that wealthy tourists aren't interested in dealing with the neanderthals lurking in/outside Suvarnabhumi for a start.

? Peking man is already established here.

Not sure this program is going well. Thailand seems to be flooded

with Chinese and Russians on budget tour packages, and then throw in

the Indians on top of that. Definitely would not make me want to

open a five star restaurant here.. :-)

Got any problems with Chinese, Russians and Indians?

• Like 1

Not in Thailand, less is more [charges to each] or preferably more is more but still charge more.

Greed the TAT way.

less tourists is more environmental friendly.

I understood the point, I'd just respectfully suggest that the vacation business community here sees little benefit in a "leave only footprints" or "leave the natural environment for our grandchildren" approach.

• Like 1

Nope I love them all. Simply pointing out the fact they are generally

on packaged tours, and would not even remotely fit into a definition of a "

high end tourist" as outlined by Yingluck.... Next question ??

• Like 2

They are complaining that the average tourist only spends $100 a day ! That is more than enough for a

comfortable day. We have never spent more than that on average for 2 people and that includes 3 star hotel, food, drink and transport over a 2 or 3 week period. Oh Dear ! They only want us to stay for 6 days now.

I am sure some people have had enough after 5 days.

The problem being the "HI-So tourist" is looking for the "real deal" not knock off fake products from China, also something more than a pit stop for a beer, crap street food & an all night shagging center (or short term room)

ZhouZhou, I think that his point was the fact that Chinese and Indians, as well as many (but not all) Russians tend to on average spend a lot less than Americans, Brits, Aussies, Swiss and Kiwis. He doesn't have a problem, he is communicating fact. Quality is not quality in Thailand, it is generally about getting people to spend more. quality actually means higher spending in Thailand. Quality Tourist means Higher Spending tourist.

Chinese tourist spend less money in beer bars or what? and that is a problem.

according to what some members said here on the board, members from the countries you mentioned above as the bigger spenders, they hesitate to spend money on anything Asian made and prefer imported products from their english speaking people countries because they believe its better.