Songkran Alcohol Ban Mulled In A Move To Reduce Deaths During Holiday

webfact

The reality here is that there needs to be a societal change. But before some say it'll never happen, remember it did, in your home country and it took years, really decades..

In most western countries there was a gradual process of making drunk driving a social issue, in that a man staggering out of the bar to his car and weaving off was no longer "one of the boys" but an embarrasement. That bar owners would and felt a duty to confiscate keys and call a taxi.

This took years and one only has to look at movies and TV from say the 60's and 70's to see the gradual changes. It's odd how the first thing one sees are the cigarettes, then the drink. Today both would be reduced or even excised at the script stage. Hard men neck one beer [sponsored] and that's it today.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality here is that there needs to be a societal change. But before some say it'll never happen, remember it did, in your home country and it took years, really decades..

In most western countries there was a gradual process of making drunk driving a social issue, in that a man staggering out of the bar to his car and weaving off was no longer "one of the boys" but an embarrasement. That bar owners would and felt a duty to confiscate keys and call a taxi.

This took years and one only has to look at movies and TV from say the 60's and 70's to see the gradual changes. It's odd how the first thing one sees are the cigarettes, then the drink. Today both would be reduced or even excised at the script stage. Hard men neck one beer [sponsored] and that's it today.

Sad to admit but the day that the drink drive laws came in to force in the UK, a bunch of us went out, got tipsy and drove a few hundred yards home - in protest.

In those days there was nothing like the number of vehicles on the road that there is today.

In the countryside, it was less of a problem because of the lower traffic density but they brought the laws in anyway and, yes it took years before it became un-cool to be a drunk driver.

So let's hope that the powers that be can eventually get a grip on the problem.

I'm not holding my breath, the UK police were not corrupt and enforced the laws, this is the first problem to solve. The rest will easily fall into place after that.

If the law is implemented it will kill tourism during this holiday period. It isn't the tourist drinking and driving. The law here is negotiable and as long as the law is negotiable we can expect more car accidents regardless of alcohol prohibitions even during Songkran when the highways are jam-packed with people visiting relatives or taking holiday.

Deploy the Military Police for the major accident black spot locations & give them BIB power of detention for the Songkran holidays. Hold all those detained for DUI, say three days and subject them to military discipline regulations, shave their heads etc. e.g. for the period double the usual DUI fine, BIB to issue fines with receipts, overseen by a MP officer.

Can establish detention tent camps monitored & patrolled by Thai army. Would be cost justifiable

Do not advertise campaign prior to Songkran, repeat each year with different locations/check points.

• Like 2

I assume this is part of PM Yingluck's request to attract more high quality tourists and get rid of the lesser elements. Obviously HQ tourists don't drink, visit temples, and admire Thai culture which is a strictly non-alcohol thingy

Simple set up road side check points and move them around. Anyone over the drinking limit .8 take away their vehicle or the vehicle they are operating. Then sell them for auction in a month. This would seriously restrict the idea of drinking and driving.

prohibition never worked and will never work....they should know that.!

1)the people in this country are dangerous and dont know how to drive..it is a fact !

2)the road are mostly in bad condition.in my place they put ciment to repair .....or live the hole.

3)they dont know how to drink ! (they usually do it quick, start early in the morning, when they drink they dont eat, and they do it until they are in coma)

4) i dont know the reason why but there is a real alcool problem in this thai society.

5)the prohibition is very strict, not fair, for only all big shops, but on all retail ones they all make provision and will sell to you alcool at anytime later on.or the people buy before the restriction...thats it!

6)i my opinion for driving it is better doing it on the right side than on the left...just think why..there is many logical reason !.

7)Prevention by EDUCATION is what people need.....! not the stick !

There's one reason for drinking and driving that is hardly ever mentioned: In most of Thailand, there is no functional taxi or public transport system, and that includes most of the cities as well as all rural areas. If you want to get home, you have to drive. While I certainly agree that one shouldn't drink and drive, Thailand seems to be based on people providing their own transport, drunk or sober.

Edited by zakk9

The ban on alcohol during Sangkran will work about as good as the ban on alcohol in parliament. OH! my mistake that was not alcohol, it was ear medicine. Best cold remedy in USA is Jack and honey. cowboy.gif This is like old wine, new bottle. ph34r.png

prohibition never worked and will never work....they should know that.!

1)the people in this country are dangerous and dont know how to drive..it is a fact !

2)the road are mostly in bad condition.in my place they put ciment to repair .....or live the hole.

3)they dont know how to drink ! (they usually do it quick, start early in the morning, when they drink they dont eat, and they do it until they are in coma)

4) i dont know the reason why but there is a real alcool problem in this thai society.

5)the prohibition is very strict, not fair, for only all big shops, but on all retail ones they all make provision and will sell to you alcool at anytime later on.or the people buy before the restriction...thats it!

6)i my opinion for driving it is better doing it on the right side than on the left...just think why..there is many logical reason !.

7)Prevention by EDUCATION is what people need.....! not the stick !

Regarding your #4:

About half of all Asians lack an active enzyme which breaks down acetaldehyde, a toxic chemical derived from ethanol found in most forms of alcohol. As a result, when they drink they often get sick to their stomach or turn red in the face. Most westerners have this enzyme, and consequently they need to drink much more to get drunk or turn red.
Some Asians turn bright red after only a few sips of alcohol. If they continue drinking they often vomit because their bodies reject the alcohol.
These interesting things can be seen in this link
There are many more articles on this subject.

Based on that chart from Road Safety & Nat'l Police, the safest vehicle you can drive in Thailand is a Farm Truck. I've always wanted one of these, now it's confirmed:

Home%20made%20truck2.JPG

Fancy driving that from North Isaan to BKK or further South?

Not allowed on main highways, and they have take a mile to stop.

Based on that chart from Road Safety & Nat'l Police, the safest vehicle you can drive in Thailand is a Farm Truck. I've always wanted one of these, now it's confirmed:

Home%20made%20truck2.JPG

I see them often on main highways between major towns in Isaan on my drives there. Granted they are probably just going a short distance from farm to farm, and they are always in the motorbike lane going very slow, but I've never seen one stopped by police anywhere.

• Like 1

First and foremost the police would have to have total commitment--here goes, Have -aquire /build a police house in every village, all control then--he would know by walking around meeting the people getting to know the families, stop drugs underage-drink driving-domestic violenceorder in each village should be paramount. Families having to control their offspring as the law is near.

It is too simple an idea, and would spoil the gambling establishments. accident time with police at hand in all areas. like in an amper/town area in issan 90 police all at the police station in an evening waiting for the call out. Problem here NO CONTROL. only at crash helmet check points

Home%20made%20truck2.JPG

The safest form of transport. Hmmm. Maybe, until you are on a very dark country road and one comes past you, going in the opposite direction. And you didn't even see it until it was level with you (no lights) This has happened to me. Nearly 5hit myself.

jb1

• Like 1

Police mounting road blocks on every corner with the advisory reading: if you drink & drive during this period you WILL be banned automatically for a year, you WILL go to jail for 6 months, you WILL pay a huge fine, your insurance cover WILL double in price..

or Blow up THIS CARTOON and stick it on every street corner around Thailand....A picture says a THOUSAND WORDS.

post-171219-0-24756000-1364030677_thumb.

• Like 1

Home%20made%20truck2.JPG

Maybe not allowed but for many In Issan. The only form of transport.

• Like 1

it would seem to me they are missing the point.

A driving ban would be much more effective.

can you even imagine, the politicians in any western country even suggesting an alcohol ban over the xmas new years period?

talk about having a shaky qrasp on reality

• Like 1

Home%20made%20truck2.JPG

So do some Ferraris.....

• Like 1

Home%20made%20truck2.JPG

So do some Ferraris.....

And others on Tollways !!!

I'm sure this article has been "copied and pasted" from the year before and the year before and the year before.guitar.gifcheesy.gif

Yes the same talk about ban the Alcohol every year...

It's not just the alcohol that is the problem, if it had not been so easy to bribe police officers here with 100-200 bht probably more had leave their cars home.

Just use the massive funds they give to the 'village funds" to provide free booze for everyone who turns in the vehicle keys for the duration of the holiday. You could reduce vehicle road traffic, those who desire are pissed out of their mind and just think of the votes you would pick up.

Tink outside the box.

26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand... So how about 'driver education'?

You obviously didn't read that other news report a few weeks ago, that stated that it was the foreigner that needed to educated that this was the way they drive in Thailand.

Classic - you're right I missed that. Would love to read it if you had the link? I read the one on Farang not understanding 'Thainess' (thank goodness), but the issue on driving here now that would be a laugh. Cheers

Again?

Didn't we see this same article last year?

Has TAT approved it? This ban would do wonders for the tourist business that our puppet PM wants increased. Oh right... she wants the 'Quality' tourists. Guess they don't drink.

Here's an idea... get the cops out in force and actually doing their job. No 100 baht and you get to go on your way BS. If you are caught driving under the influence, you car is impounded for 7 days, starting right NOW, and you get hit with a 10000 baht fine (payable at the courthouse only). You also get to pay for the 7 day storage of your vehicle.

Oh, and any cop who takes a bribe gets an automatic termination notice.

Yeah right, like any of that would/could happen in Thailand LOS (Land of SCAMS).

Pigs might fly!

So this proposed new measure will keep death & carnage off the roads during the festival period ??

By baning the sale of alcohol over the three day festival, widely publicised beforehand of course so Joe public can stock up on their favourite brew, still enjoy their 3 day beer fest & the government keeps it's revenue coming in, problem solved!!

PROBLEM NOT SOLVED!!

Are they not capable of thinking any policy through to the end ??

People will stock up on alcohol ahead of the festival & still feel the need to drive.. this will never stop drink driving in a million years !!

Police mounting road blocks on every corner with the advisory reading: if you drink & drive during this period you WILL be banned automatically for a year, you WILL go to jail for 6 months, you WILL pay a huge fine, your insurance cover WILL double in price..

As in other countries this WILL have more effect !!

ha, this is true-but consider the ecosystem that imposes so much control; a government with that much power results in a populace less powerful- I'd rather have more freedom and be encouraged to take personal responsibility for my behavior

For you perhaps.

But in the land of irresponsibility, how could it be so?

Average 40 people killed on Thai roads each day of the year. Estimated % that's alcohol fueled = at least half

Average number daily killed by ganja (pot) smokers = around zero

Average number annually of law-breaking activity by people stoned on hemp = zero
(it's not possible to get stoned smoking hemp)

Both ganja and hemp are illegal and can get a person thrown in jail - for having just a smidgen of the stuff.

Beer and hard liquor is drunk by everyone, including politicians and judges. Indeed, Thailand's drug czar is an alcoholic. Is this crazy or what? IT would be ludicrous except for that fact that alcohol is by far more harmful than all other recreational drugs (all of which are illegal) combined. It's like Thailand's leaders are so drunk, they don't know shit from shinola, and wind up enacting laws which oppose common sense and decency.

p.s. I haven't drunk alcohol or smoked hemp for several decades. All drugs should be legal, taxed, and screw-ups dealt with by counseling. Ronald Reagan and all other country-leading idiots since him have tried to outlaw drugs, and they've all failed miserably - indeed, every leader in the past 50 years who clings to the ridiculous 'war on drugs' has only made things worse overall.

• Like 2

How about banning the throwing of white paint/chalk and water at vehicles on the road. It is astounding to see ever year all this dangerous nonsense on the roads. If people want to celebrate with water and white stuff, do it in a park, at a school, at home, but NOT on the roads. That is surely the main reason for the traffic accidents during Songkran.

Also, even if the rate of alcohol related accidents is 7%, how does anyone know that the rate of alcohol intoxicated drivers is not actually higher than that? If it turns out that, say 10% of those driving are actually drunk, then this means that a higher percentage of sober drivers actually are involved in an accident. And what if the person at fault (say in a clear case of rear-ending another vehicle stopped at a traffic light) was sober, but the other person who did nothing wrong happened to be drunk. Then the stats will show alcohol was involved, even though it did not contribute in any way to the accident.

• Like 1

Average 40 people killed on Thai roads each day of the year. Estimated % that's alcohol fueled = at least half

Average number daily killed by ganja (pot) smokers = around zero

Average number annually of law-breaking activity by people stoned on hemp = zero

(it's not possible to get stoned smoking hemp)

Both ganja and hemp are illegal and can get a person thrown in jail - for having just a smidgen of the stuff.

Beer and hard liquor is drunk by everyone, including politicians and judges. Indeed, Thailand's drug czar is an alcoholic. Is this crazy or what? IT would be ludicrous except for that fact that alcohol is by far more harmful than all other recreational drugs (all of which are illegal) combined. It's like Thailand's leaders are so drunk, they don't know shit from shinola, and wind up enacting laws which oppose common sense and decency.

p.s. I haven't drunk alcohol or smoked hemp for several decades. All drugs should be legal, taxed, and screw-ups dealt with by counseling. Ronald Reagan and all other country-leading idiots since him have tried to outlaw drugs, and they've all failed miserably - indeed, every leader in the past 50 years who clings to the ridiculous 'war on drugs' has only made things worse overall.

I remember reading some years ago that some drugs created extraversion in people (alcool, nicotine perhaps), while other drugs created introversion (ganja). The extraversion drugs are allowed, as long as they do not modify the state of consciousness, like Cocaine, Ice, Heroin, Peyote.

Something about these introversion drugs that leaders do not like. Some of them drugs very innocuous, as you point out.

• Like 1