Songkran Alcohol Ban Mulled In A Move To Reduce Deaths During Holiday

webfact

So this proposed new measure will keep death & carnage off the roads during the festival period ??

By baning the sale of alcohol over the three day festival, widely publicised beforehand of course so Joe public can stock up on their favourite brew, still enjoy their 3 day beer fest & the government keeps it's revenue coming in, problem solved!!

PROBLEM NOT SOLVED!!

Are they not capable of thinking any policy through to the end ??

People will stock up on alcohol ahead of the festival & still feel the need to drive.. this will never stop drink driving in a million years !!

Police mounting road blocks on every corner with the advisory reading: if you drink & drive during this period you WILL be banned automatically for a year, you WILL go to jail for 6 months, you WILL pay a huge fine, your insurance cover WILL double in price..

As in other countries this WILL have more effect !!

Only problem with banning them from driving is that this will not stop the guilty from driving

They do not care about drunk driving ... so they will not mind driving with no license

Name them ... shame them ...

...and impound the vehicle, whoever it belongs to. Claim the vehicle by paying a HUGE fine within 30 days or it goes to the auctions. And this goes for failure to produce a license or insurance and extend this to motorcycles i.e. no crash helmet, more than two on a bike etc., etc.

Exactly----this is such a simple solution,and can you imagine the crowds that would turn up at the Auction? You may even sell the vehicle back to the original drunk ,then next month you do him again and start the process all over again!!! Make sure the money from Auction proceeds goes in the right direction [if you know what I mean] and the whole system could be totally cost effective--------- OK LETS DO IT --------- Dougal the Kiwi

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't comment here much, I see a big enough community of bored expats who do enough of that for me.

Normally i read an article i find interesting then quickly look at some of the comments afterwards, same old non constructive rubbish from the same old people living here with nothing to do but bash every idea or news item posts.

I've lived here for a couple of years now, of course things are different to your home country, you are in THAILAND, generally people try and come up with initiatives they think will help the country not make it worse, some are good, some aren't, hopefully they will learn from what works and what doesn't. It will take time here, just like it did in your country...

Unfortunately the corruption here makes it very hard to successively implement polices and safer regulations like we are used too. The government needs funding to do this and when police, government officials, business owners are all on the take, what does it leave for the people? Not much.

Many of your useless comments sound like they are coming from lonely people who couldn't find happiness in their own country so now you come here and try and bring everyone and everything else down around you (because its cheaper and you are comforted by the pretense that you really are handsome).

Most of you are retired, and by the looks of it have bugger all to do (apart from complaining about the place you choose to live) so why don't you get off your ass and try and come up with a few good ideas yourself and do something about it, start a charity, build a website that educates Thai people on something you feel they can improve on, offer your time and services for community projects, start a campaign about driver education and compulsory licencing using licences that cannot be forged, rally to start a program in high school to teach kids about road safety and driving. The list goes on. Then you will at least end your days here knowing that you made a difference in your life. And hopefully put forward some constructive alternatives to problems you see and do something about it. Posting an idea on thai visa then going to read your book isn't doing anything for anyone. I'm saying this to the guys who do nothing with their day apart from going to get a coffee, read a book, watch tv, play golf, go to bars and basically do <Snip!> all to help anyone else.

I'm not immune to the frustration that goes on in Thailand, but if I want to take advantage of all the good things in this country, I should probably try and do something to make the bad things better.

Are u for real?????

Try do anything here and the police will get u for not having a work permit.Also,if i retired in the uk,i have a right to moan about stuff that isnt right and i dont have to get involved in community work,and i believe most that come on here are not bored,what is wrong with gaining info from this board and others,Are u a teacher????

I agree with your reply; apart from the last remark. Why "teacher"?

Can't see how you could base his reply on being a teacher. Or are you one of these expats who are bitter and jealous towards teachers for no apparent reason? Yeah, sure there are some idiot teachers out there, but the biggest idiots you meet out and about are usually tourists or expat wannabe playboys.

Bizarre remark that ruined a good reply.

There's one reason for drinking and driving that is hardly ever mentioned: In most of Thailand, there is no functional taxi or public transport system, and that includes most of the cities as well as all rural areas. If you want to get home, you have to drive. While I certainly agree that one shouldn't drink and drive, Thailand seems to be based on people providing their own transport, drunk or sober.

If you were a cabbie would you take a drunk home, even if he/she paid up front? What would be your reaction if he/she threw up in your cab? You have to clean up the mess, you can't easily get rid of the smell either. You are off the road and not earning while you are cleaning up. Many mini-cabs in the UK used to put a surcharge of 50 pounds for offenders. They probably charge that twice over now.

I don't comment here much, I see a big enough community of bored expats who do enough of that for me.

Normally i read an article i find interesting then quickly look at some of the comments afterwards, same old non constructive rubbish from the same old people living here with nothing to do but bash every idea or news item posts.

I've lived here for a couple of years now, of course things are different to your home country, you are in THAILAND, generally people try and come up with initiatives they think will help the country not make it worse, some are good, some aren't, hopefully they will learn from what works and what doesn't. It will take time here, just like it did in your country...

Unfortunately the corruption here makes it very hard to successively implement polices and safer regulations like we are used too. The government needs funding to do this and when police, government officials, business owners are all on the take, what does it leave for the people? Not much.

Many of your useless comments sound like they are coming from lonely people who couldn't find happiness in their own country so now you come here and try and bring everyone and everything else down around you (because its cheaper and you are comforted by the pretense that you really are handsome).

Most of you are retired, and by the looks of it have bugger all to do (apart from complaining about the place you choose to live) so why don't you get off your ass and try and come up with a few good ideas yourself and do something about it, start a charity, build a website that educates Thai people on something you feel they can improve on, offer your time and services for community projects, start a campaign about driver education and compulsory licencing using licences that cannot be forged, rally to start a program in high school to teach kids about road safety and driving. The list goes on. Then you will at least end your days here knowing that you made a difference in your life. And hopefully put forward some constructive alternatives to problems you see and do something about it. Posting an idea on thai visa then going to read your book isn't doing anything for anyone. I'm saying this to the guys who do nothing with their day apart from going to get a coffee, read a book, watch tv, play golf, go to bars and basically do <Snip!> all to help anyone else.

I'm not immune to the frustration that goes on in Thailand, but if I want to take advantage of all the good things in this country, I should probably try and do something to make the bad things better.

A very 'refreshing to read' post, thank you-------- Dougal the Kiwi

The ban on alcohol during Sangkran will work about as good as the ban on alcohol in parliament. OH! my mistake that was not alcohol, it was ear medicine. Best cold remedy in USA is Jack and honey. cowboy.gif This is like old wine, new bottle. ph34r.png

There are at least 4 bars in the UK Houses of Parliament, and a disco. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a massage parlour too, manned by personable Thai ladies of course. There have been several cases of MP's drunk and participating in debates in the chamber, George Brown, erstwhile Deputy PM and Foreign Minister, being one example. Churchill was fond of his brandy too.

Regardless of Songkran, I have been driving in Thailand for over five years, have clocked up more than 100,000 kms but have NEVER had to have a breath test!

SO ?--------- I"ve been in Thailand longer than you and never cought HIV-----------Dougal the Kiwi

bigbamboo, on 23 Mar 2013 - 04:15, said:

As usual the Thai authorities missing the target completely. It isn't the sale of alcohol that kills during Songkran it's the half wits who drink and drive.

I have seen many check points, where the police openly wave-on pick-up loads of party goes that are singing and prating around in the back and in the cab, only to get the call 10 minutes later that a pick-up has crashed in to the centre dyke with bodies thrown all over the place, and that rubber necking has caused further multiple accidents; this causes serious delays, which ultimately encourages frustrated drivers to display further erratic driving skills.

All the drink/driving legislation in the world won't work without enforcement.

Thailand already has already beefed up its drink/driving laws to a level which should by now have dramatically reduced the carnage on the roads. But they won't until they applied more stringently and impartially.

Otherwise, drunken drivers, along with robbers, rapists and murderers in this crime-infested country, will continue to act as if the law is a feeble ass to be ignored or bought off.

Convincing crooks, including drunken drivers, that crime doesn't pay means having a government which practices what it preaches, a police force rewarded sufficiently to banish routine bribery, and - equally important - a dedicated, squeaky clean legal system free of cronyism and corruption.

On this last point, while researching the subject, I came upon a website run by a law firm which woos falangs staying in Thailand

The leading article postulates a scenario where a foreigner has crashed a friend's car following (and I quote) "a pleasure trip . . . to a club, get drunk and then for the sake of achieving the thrill you get out on the road . . . and push the accelerator to the limit".

It goes on to advise the irresponsible driver, whose criminal behaviour has luckily not caused deaths or injuries - to call a lawyer, because "Thai lawyers know the DUI (driving under the influence) laws inside out and they are bound to find a loop-hole to get you to go Scot free. . . "

Cheers! Oh, and happy Songkran.

Edited by metisdead
: Font
  • Like 1

It was actually very nice and far more interesting than this thread...

Over to Boris Johnson as he plays with his winkie behind Timpkins Major;s bare bottie...

Quite so.

How was the chip sarnie?

More laws = more criminals.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Did they stop to think of the unintended consequences of an even temporary prohibition.

Thailand seems to becoming more like my country, Australia, everyday. A 'nanny state' where the government just keeps interefering and intruding in peoples daily lives at every turn, Where there is a knee jerk rule, order or law implemented to solve every problem, crisis or situation.

Once upon a time Drink driving in Australia was a 'culture', an 'attitude', a 'habit'. it was bragged about. Joked about. It was socially acceptable, routine. Those of us from Western Cultures know that Drunk Driving is not something you can solve by this type of knee jerk draconian government decree. When I was a kid with my father, and later when I first got my own car and driver's licence, everyone drove drunk! It was part of our culture. Things started to change in the early 1970's. Breathalyser Machines, Random Breath Testing. 'Booze Buses'. Graphic, shocking advertising campaigns and stiffer penalties in the courts for offenders, education progams. Much progress has been made to curb the practise, and cut the road toll, but even 40+ years down the track, it is still a work in progress. Often to the frustration of the Police and the Paramedics who have to clean up the carnage.

You won't solve this problem problem by punishing the entire population for the crimes of a minority, even if you do hold the high moral ground. Attitude is the most difficult human trait to change. The only way you can really do anything about it, is to change attitude and make it 'Socially Unaccpetable' within the community. Not an easy task, and not made any easier by pullng stunts like this.

Besides. We all know exactly where we can get alcohol in Thailand, when, and wherever we need it. And if you don't, then I suggest you get out more.

What is a bit strange about your post, is that you give your comical proposals a flavor of seriousness.

Can you imagine, now farangs will become volunteers, and tell all these Thais to go on this farang website that shows all the dangers related to their living habits.

We farangs know better right. We drink responsibly. We drive responsibly.after al.

Where Thailand has failed miserably, us farangs can have success.

We will tell them, no more passing at high speed, no more driving these silly noisy motorbikes, with a cigarette in one hand, and a mobile in the other.

And they will listen to us of course.

Thailand is incompetent. But no fear, farangs are here!!!

I was sitting in the pick-up with the misses on Jomtien Beach Road during Songkran a couple of years ago. True to form we weren't going anywhere fast but we were getting close to the apartment. A ' foreign ' guy came past us riding down the centre of the road. He was already wet and attracted several more buckets of water as he rode by ( not from us ). He was waving his fist at the assailants and hurling verbal abuse -- we had to laugh. A few minutes later, he came back in the opposite direction, still waving his fist and another tirade of abuse at the revellers. Get this, a few minutes later he passed us AGAIN. Maybe he hadn't showered for a few days ?

I was sitting in the pick-up with the misses on Jomtien Beach Road during Songkran a couple of years ago. True to form we weren't going anywhere fast but we were getting close to the apartment. A ' foreign ' guy came past us riding down the centre of the road. He was already wet and attracted several more buckets of water as he rode by ( not from us ). He was waving his fist at the assailants and hurling verbal abuse -- we had to laugh. A few minutes later, he came back in the opposite direction, still waving his fist and another tirade of abuse at the revellers. Get this, a few minutes later he passed us AGAIN. Maybe he hadn't showered for a few days ?

Sounds like a private detective keeping his eye on YOUR movements

So this proposed new measure will keep death & carnage off the roads during the festival period ??

By baning the sale of alcohol over the three day festival, widely publicised beforehand of course so Joe public can stock up on their favourite brew, still enjoy their 3 day beer fest & the government keeps it's revenue coming in, problem solved!!

PROBLEM NOT SOLVED!!

People will stock up on alcohol ahead of the festival & still feel the need to drive.. this will never stop drink driving in a million years !!

Police mounting road blocks on every corner with the advisory reading: if you drink & drive during this period you WILL be banned automatically for a year, you WILL go to jail for 6 months, you WILL pay a huge fine, your insurance cover WILL double in price..

And as in other countries, driving will resume, anyway they can accomplish it. There is no sure way of stopping a drunk driver, with a Gov't that runs on corruption and bribery and a citizenry, that cares not one iota, for any law!

• Like 2

I'm sure this article has been "copied and pasted" from the year before and the year before and the year before.guitar.gifcheesy.gif

Yes the same talk about ban the Alcohol every year...

It's not just the alcohol that is the problem, if it had not been so easy to bribe police officers here with 100-200 bht probably more had leave their cars home.

In my Ban, the two cops are the drunk drivers in reality. Any hour of the day or night these two are $%^&faced drunk an driving wherever they please. sometimes just bouncing between the lines, othertimes totally out of it. Funniest when they can't figure out, how to get in the driveway. How do you combat this situation ?

PROBLEM NOT SOLVED!!

Only problem with banning them from driving is that this will not stop the guilty from driving

They do not care about drunk driving ... so they will not mind driving with no license

Name them ... shame them ...

...and impound the vehicle, whoever it belongs to. Claim the vehicle by paying a HUGE fine within 30 days or it goes to the auctions. And this goes for failure to produce a license or insurance and extend this to motorcycles i.e. no crash helmet, more than two on a bike etc., etc.

Exactly----this is such a simple solution,and can you imagine the crowds that would turn up at the Auction? You may even sell the vehicle back to the original drunk ,then next month you do him again and start the process all over again!!! Make sure the money from Auction proceeds goes in the right direction [if you know what I mean] and the whole system could be totally cost effective--------- OK LETS DO IT --------- Dougal the Kiwi

Really??? you think this is the answer and the simple fix. What if there is a loan on the vehicle, then the owner wont care and now you have a problem that the bank owns the car. So then people now walk away from the loan and the bank is left holding the bag. This will effect the economy in the long run. Also, I don't believe the laws in Thailand gives the govt the right to confiscate property for a traffic violation. Even though a person is driving drunk they still have rights. I'm not justifying someone driving drunk, but your thinking is that of a Totalitarianism government.

That's interesting; concern for the usurers loaners on vehicles - in regard to confiscating vehicles. It would seem that; even if a vehicle is confiscated, its owner still has an obligation to pay. OK, on 2nd thought, I can see there's less recourse for the loaning company, though one would think they could work something out with the police re; getting a vehicle back, if not paid for. The police don't own vehicles they impound - though they probably think they do.

26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand... So how about 'driver education'? Every idiot in Thailand knows how to go fast as putting the pedal to the metal ain't difficult!! But teaching them to 'drive' would go a long way to avoiding accidents,

by not overtaking on unbroken lines,

observe speed signs,

driver courtesy etc... ah silly me... Songkran... the excuse to party for a week and enjoy water fights, play music past the point of distortion and drink Leo whilst watching your girlfriend in a wet T Shirt.

They would have to apply some logic to where the broken lines are first. I see plenty of spots where they have broken lines on curves and other places where you can't see the oncoming traffic.

Speed limit signs? How many of those have you seen in Thailand?

They need to put up speed limit signs. As much as I hate the police speed traps in the USA, the only way they are going to get people to slow down is to arm the police with radar guns and allow the roaming officers to use them all the time instead of setting up road blocks.

26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand... So how about 'driver education'? Every idiot in Thailand knows how to go fast as putting the pedal to the metal ain't difficult!! But teaching them to 'drive' would go a long way to avoiding accidents,

observe speed signs,

driver courtesy etc... ah silly me... Songkran... the excuse to party for a week and enjoy water fights, play music past the point of distortion and drink Leo whilst watching your girlfriend in a wet T Shirt.

They would have to apply some logic to where the broken lines are first. I see plenty of spots where they have broken lines on curves and other places where you can't see the oncoming traffic.

They need to put up speed limit signs. As much as I hate the police speed traps in the USA, the only way they are going to get people to slow down is to arm the police with radar guns and allow the roaming officers to use them all the time instead of setting up road blocks.

Yes, at first glance that seems like the answer, but if you've noticed, there are relatively few police cruisers, usually Honda Accords. Most police are driving old Isuzu pickups and motorbikes. I don't think they're gonna chase down smokey and the bandit in those things.

I suspect the reason we don't see a proper Highway Patrol in Thailand is budgetary. Probably not enough money to fund a national program of cars or even big bike cruisers like this:

1212462808_1.jpg

* I just realized I pasted an old picture from the early 80s TV show CHiPs. Those bikes are really old!

Edited by keemapoot

observe speed signs,

Yes, at first glance that seems like the answer, but if you've noticed, there are relatively few police cruisers, usually Honda Accords. Most police are driving old Isuzu pickups and motorbikes. I don't think they're gonna chase down smokey and the bandit in those things.

I suspect the reason we don't see a proper Highway Patrol in Thailand is budgetary. Probably not enough money to fund a national program of cars or even big bike cruisers like this:

1212462808_1.jpg

* I just realized I pasted an old picture from the early 80s TV show CHiPs. Those bikes are really old!

Don't forget. You may be able to outrun my old Chevrolet but you can't outrun my new two way. All they have to do is radio ahead to have a cop further down the road pull them over.

Besides a lot of the speeding that causes accidents is taking place close to town and should not be such a problem to catch the speeder at the next stop light or when they meet up with slower traffic.

Are u for real?????

Try do anything here and the police will get u for not having a work permit.Also,if i retired in the uk,i have a right to moan about stuff that isnt right and i dont have to get involved in community work,and i believe most that come on here are not bored,what is wrong with gaining info from this board and others,Are u a teacher????

I agree with your reply; apart from the last remark. Why "teacher"?

Can't see how you could base his reply on being a teacher. Or are you one of these expats who are bitter and jealous towards teachers for no apparent reason? Yeah, sure there are some idiot teachers out there, but the biggest idiots you meet out and about are usually tourists or expat wannabe playboys.

Bizarre remark that ruined a good reply.

Perfectly legit question.It sounds like u work in Thailand and most guys are teachers.Far from being jealous, i think the teachers would have to be jealous about me,as i dont need to workand havent since 50 yo.I have respect for most teachers,but i could never do that role,as the pay is terrible most of the time.

observe speed signs,

1212462808_1.jpg

Yeah, REAL Kawasaki's with 4 cylinders, not the mamby-pamby 2 cylinder jobs they churn out now.

To answer your reply Ericthai / 171, this system has been going on for many years in the UK ( don't know if it still is though ). Especially in London, Manchester and most airports you park your car illegally and the flatbed truck comes along and removes your vehicle to the pound. Same goes if you don't have a valid road tax disc on the screen. It used to cost around 65 pounds to get your car back, plus outstanding fines etc. Don't claim your care within the designated period, and your car goes to auction or if it's a wreck, it goes to the breakers yard for crushing. Same should happen here, and don't think for one moment the banks and finance companies will ever lose out.

• Like 1