You're Fired

Roco tomazi !!most contracts state 8.00 till 4.30 ok, but thai director expect more , thai teachers do more, farangs who insist my contract states! in my opinion leave themselves open for dismissal. Teachers are there to teach/help children. Go the extra mile do a little bit more , i did when i was teaching my contract stated 12 hours per week many weeks i did more than 20, i was helping children only children get a good education.

Any person not prepared to do that !!get out of teaching!!

Edited by Rolo Tomazi

Happy to share , contract 12 hours a week only 12 hours no more ,pay 10.000 baht per month. I was never asked to do anymore, i did to help the children, poor underprivieged hill tribe children in northern thailand.

Roco tomazi !!most contracts state 8.00 till 4.30 ok, but thai director expect more , thai teachers do more, farangs who insist my contract states! in my opinion leave themselves open for dismissal. Teachers are there to teach/help children. Go the extra mile do a little bit more , i did when i was teaching my contract stated 12 hours per week many weeks i did more than 20, i was helping children only children get a good education.

Any person not prepared to do that !!get out of teaching!!

Generally I agree with you; putting in some extra effort, going the extra mile, staying an hour longer than required - that's a good thing to do and if anyone feels like doing that it'll probably benefit him/her.

Years ago I gave a group of the six worst students of the class 3 hours a week extra lessons so they'd able to keep up with the rest of the class; it was an interesting experience. I did that because I had only 15 contact hours a week

but had to be present 40h. But watch out, my experience is that if you give Thais a helping hand, they readily take the whole arm!

I assume your contract states 40h/week, which is standard, and you have 12 contact hours. Or do you just show up for 12h/week? In that case I'd like to know how much you get paid, if you care to share that information.

You seem to have a good attitude, helping and caring for Thai children is a good thing, I myself have a 13-year-old daughter here (she won the speech contest in her changwat twice).

But I don't agree that not doing more than stated in the contract is a reason to get fired. Or that a teacher should get out of teaching if not prepared to do that.

I teach my 16h/week at school, stay from 8 to 4:30, and that's all they get from me. None of the other teachers work "overtime". I have private students after school and 20h/week total

is all I can handle.

If they change the contracts back to 12 months a year I'd be willing to put in more of an effort, but I have to pay the whole of April out of my own pocket.

That leaves me without gas money for the "extra mile"! :)

labor courts are generally in favor of the employee. if you are in fact a legal employee.

if there is no evidence of written reprimands, the employee will generally win.

After your 3 month probation, they must show that they have a valid reason to dismiss.

if they have not documented your supposed failings, you will win.

but i seriously wonder why anybody in their right mind would put up with this shit.

Edited by candypants
  • Like 1

Happy to share , contract 12 hours a week only 12 hours no more ,pay 10.000 baht per month. I was never asked to do anymore, i did to help the children, poor underprivieged hill tribe children in northern thailand.

You were not a full time teacher. You were part of the teachers assistant program. A bit different. For most of us it is a job/career (our income) . Not a step up from volunteering. If we have a contract it should be adhered to by both parties just like any other job. Simple really. Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Quote: "... I was called into a meeting to be tolded that the school teaching department wanted to end my contract a month early."

Remember the threads on Assumption College Bangkok (?) here? Themw anting long-serving teachers to sign undated resignation letters?

Thai Labour law has severance based on the length of service. Even if this was your first year at this school, there will be 30 days severance

plus notice period. Q: What does your contract say? Mine were for a month's notice after the probationary period.

Someone's getting that money - I found out how this works when a colleague had to return to the U.S. due to a family emergency.

Her workload was spread and all others were paid a few grand extra.

The school's tactics were brilliant. First, they stalled and held the meeting after payday. Then they offered a few grand extra -

keeping the bulk of the over-payment in their wallets. And last month, they stopped the payouts...

Q; Has anyone asked you to resign? Don't! Unless you want to throw away good money. an amount which would allow you

to fly home or have splendid holidays and buy a new laptop here.

By resigning, you are making their day.

Employers can terminate all contracts at any time. No one cares about the grounds, unless it's criminal or harmful behavior towards the employer.

25 years of service? Same as 5 months' service. The difference will be the amount of severance.

Google Thai labour law, see this explained by lawyers. There were changes from 120 days to 100 days, but a minimum of 30 days severance plus notice period is a must IMHO.

Not sure if a school can automatically end a contract by making it just for 1 year. The position remains, but this is beyond my understanding. (That's why I hired a lawyer).

Q: where are you? Go to the nearest Labour court in your region. Bring a translator (YMMV - I had major issues despite having a translator available over the phone).

They will write this up and then invite the parties to a settlement conference / arbitration meeting.

You don't have to pay one Baht and the court's attorney will work on your side.

At the hearing, they put pressure on the employer to settle this - as they don't like lengthy cases over some b.s.

like established practices like severance.

Time is on your side (I have yet to read the whole thread). But insist on their written termination and then

make them pay.

(I found some schools try out how far they can go? One government high school wanted to pay nothing, nada for October!

It took a few days for them to *get* that the xx months times yy,000 Baht contract doesn't have a no-pay-during-hols-clause).

And directors are increasingly hiring Asians and Africans (saving 1/3 to 1/2 based on what I know about specific cases).

It's all about the money - the rest is just conversation (Gordon Gecko in Wall Street)

Collect the 1 months notice (pay) and move on.......... not sure why this is an issue given there is only 1 month left on the contract ?

Plus the severance which is ingrained in Thai labour law!!

Likely, you will be entitled to 2, not 1 month's pay!! thumbsup.gif

Spoonman they want to end the contract this month with a weeks notice, and no pay in April. It's a problem because we would not have a work visa and have to leave Thailand within a week.

They are not paying for next month, they are not giving him a month, just a week sad.png

Both of you should go to Labour Court.

It's free and a pleasant experience - if you bring your own translator (YMMV - a judge in Bangkok told me, there they have translators and attorneys waiting). At the Region x court, the staff spoke some English and I had to be on the phone for like 2 hours over small and unimportant details.

BTW, a letter from an attorney might change all this over night. I paid 5,000 for the preparation and the balance was 15,000.

The stakes are higher for me and there are 2 separate courts involved.

TBH, this sounds like the nearest to a sure thing. Go for it, together.

If you dislike doing it yourselves, a Thai lawyer need not be frightfully expensive.