Working Of Aliens Act Of 2008

Section 4 (Sub-paragraph 6 ) stipulates that an Alien (Non-Thai National ) engaged in the Education field is exempt from the requirement of having to get a Work Permit to work legally in Thailand.

Anyone know if this law has been amended in any way since then or are there other laws that override this Executive decision ?

Any information would be appreciated

ALLIENS ACT WORKING PERMIT.pdf

Section 4 (Sub-paragraph 6 ) stipulates that an Alien (Non-Thai National ) engaged in the Education field is exempt from the requirement

of having to get a Work Permit to work legally in Thailand.

Anyone know if this law has been amended in any way since then

No it hasn't.

or are there other laws that override this Executive decision ?

No there isn't.

The law is quite clearly laid out.

Though the Thai officials don't want to abide by it, so don't.

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1

Section 4 (Sub-paragraph 6 ) stipulates that an Alien (Non-Thai

National ) engaged in the Education field is exempt from the requirement

Anyone know if this law has been amended in any way since then or are there other laws that override this Executive decision ?

Not applicable to the occupation of teacher in formal, in-formal or non-formal educational institutions in Thailand.

Not applicable to the occupation of teacher in formal, in-formal or non-formal educational institutions in Thailand.

Under which law?

Source please.

• Like 1

If this law is not applicable to the occupation of teacher which Act of Parliament or which Royal Decree or which Amendment has been passed into law to exclude teachers from this exemption?

Edited by oompie69

Under which law?

Source please.

Working of Alien Act BE 2551 (AD 2008), Part 2, Section 9 until Section 28.

Edited by aidenai

If this law is not applicable to the occupation of teacher which Act of Parliament or which Royal Decree or which Amendment has been passed into law to exclude teachers from this exemption?

Sorry if I appear stupid but I cannot find any reference to the exclusion of those employed as teachers in Thailand in The act.

Under which law?

Source please.

Working of Alien Act BE 2551 (AD 2008), Part 2, Section 9 until Section 28.

Incorrect.

There is nothing in there that backs up your statement.

(Link to Working of Alien Act BE 2551 (AD 2008) is in the OP)

This has been discussed before. If you read the item referenced carefully, you will find the following:

Section 4, Part 6:

'(6) as a person who performs duties or mission for the benefit of

education, culture, dft, sports or other activities as may be prescribed by the Royal

Decree;'

This is NOT referring to a common garden-variety working teacher.

Where does the act state that?

I presume that officials and ministries demand teachers need them, but where is it stated? in the act it clearly says that they are exempt if they 'are performing duties for the benefit of education'. A garden-variety working teacher is clearly doing that, in a legal and official sense.

Edited by Almera

@oompie69 and @Almera, I'm getting curious why you both are disputing the fact that foreign teachers need a work permit. Care to share?

I just read the act as posted in the OP and it clearly states they don't. smile.png

Interesting.

But then, Thailand is always interesting. smile.png

Edit:

Why are you posting false statements such as Post 7? I'm curious.

Edited by Almera

@oompie69 and @Almera, I'm getting curious why you both are disputing the fact that foreign teachers need a work permit. Care to share?

I just read the act as posted in the OP and it clearly states they don't. smile.png

Interesting.

Are you currently a teacher in Thailand, Almera or do you want to be one?

Interesting.

Are you currently a teacher in Thailand, Almera or do you want to be one?

No and no, what's with the focus on the poster rather than the points? Actually don't bother answering. Never mind.

If you want to discuss a point, feel free to do so. If you want to argue, you run the risk of getting suspended.

Great.

I'm looking forward to Ijustwannateach backing up his statement/answering them. :)

This has been discussed before. If you read the item referenced carefully, you will find the following:

Section 4, Part 6:

education, culture, dft, sports or other activities as may be prescribed by the Royal

Decree;'

This is NOT referring to a common garden-variety working teacher.

Where does the act state that?

I presume that officials and ministries demand teachers need them, but where is it stated? in the act it clearly says that they are exempt if they 'are performing duties for the benefit of education'. A garden-variety working teacher is clearly doing that, in a legal and official sense.

Almera, not everything is written into law with its details of precedent as clearly as everyone would like. But I know I'm correct in my description. You have every right to disagree, but you will be wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Ijustwannateach

Ijustwannateach, on 24 Mar 2013 - 20:22, said:

Almera, not everything is written into law with its details of precedent as clearly as everyone would like. But I know I'm correct in my description. You have every right to disagree, but you will be wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Oh sure, I've no doubt ministries and officials are demanding teachers need them, that doesn't make the law wrong, it just means that they are ignoring/not following it. smile.png

As the law states, they do not need them. This is obviously ignored by the Thais. smile.png

Edited by Almera
  • Like 1

Proof in writing is all that I asking for.Is anyone else able to supply same or point me in the right direction?

Having an opinion is the right of everyone but if you do not have verifyable information to substantiate your opinion then your opinion is open to be challanged.

I am not into this for the argument but am seeking the de facto rule as it stands now backed by the substantiation thereof.

Edited by oompie69
  • Like 1

substantiation

Now this is a teacher. biggrin.png

I think I've already explained the situation. There is no law that overrides the Act that states that those here for the benefit of education (which is obviously any teacher here) are exempt from needing a Work Permit. But the Thai officials and ministries don't know/care/follow it, and demand them anyway. smile.png

Edited by Almera

substantiation

Now this is a teacher. biggrin.png

I think I've already explained the situation. There is no law that overrides the Act that states that those here for the benefit of education (which is obviously any teacher here) are exempt from needing a Work Permit. But the Thai officials and ministries don't know/care/follow it, and demand them anyway. smile.png

Thanks Almera.Taking issue with the Thai officials and the Ministries about this is a fight for another day.But to enter the fray you had better be equiped with the right weapons thus my quest for information.

^ I can't foresee anyone showing any Acts or Legislation that override the Working of Alien Act of 2008 which states those here for the benefit of education (which is clearly all full-time foreign teachers) do not need a Work Permit.

Section 4, Part 6:

Decree;'

This is NOT referring to a common garden-variety working teacher. This is referring to a person with a special commission directly from the government who is regarded as a kind of consultant. There are a few of them around, including on Thaivisa. But this is by no means an 'out' for getting a work permit to work legally as a teacher- unless, of course, you have that special visa status. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, you don't have it.

I've done something like this before - guest lecturer at a college. There was paperwork to do, but certainly no requirement for a work permit for such a short job.

I've done something like this before - guest lecturer at a college. There was paperwork to do, but certainly no requirement for a work permit for such a short job.

Pity there isn't any Thai Act that differentiates between these sorts of positions and full-time positions.

^ I can't foresee anyone showing any Acts or Legislation that override the Working of Alien Act of 2008 which states those here for the benefit of education (which is clearly all full-time foreign teachers) do not need a Work Permit.

I guess you have to continue your discussion with Chaninat and Leeds, Thailand Attorneys then. They interpret the law as:

The Alien Working Act does not apply to members of diplomatic or consular delegations and certain related persons, certain persons related to the United Nations, certain persons working in Thailand pursuant to an agreement between Thailand and a foreign government or international agency, certain persons stipulated by Royal Decree and certain persons authorized by the Council of Ministers.

Best of luck. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I guess you have to continue your discussion with Chaninat and Leeds, Thailand Attorneys then. They interpret the law as

Law firm's stated interpretation overrides legislative Acts. cheesy.gif

I've heard it all now. biggrin.png

Edited by Almera

I guess you have to continue your discussion with Chaninat and Leeds, Thailand Attorneys then. They interpret the law as

Law firm's stated interpretation overrides legislative Acts.

I've heard it all now.

Well, at least they know how to interpret the law and know about jurisprudence in regards to this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by aidenai

^ So that's a 'No, I cannot show any legislation that overrides the Working of Aliens Act which clearly states that those here for the benefit of education (which is clearly all full-time teachers) do not need a work permit' then.

Okay, gotcha. :)