App Launched To Reduce Brit Road Accidents While Travelling In Thailand

webfact

App To Reduce Brit Road Crashes Abroad

LONDON: -- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has launched a new app which gives specific road safety advice to Britons driving while travelling abroad.

High numbers of crashes involving British tourists and expats in popular destinations, including Thailand, Australia and Spain, has sparked a campaign to improve road safety.

Road conditions, driving standards and laws vary widely - and some countries experience much higher rates of road traffic accidents and fatalities than the UK.

In Thailand - a country with 50,000 British residents and more than 870,000 British visitors every year - there were 68,852 road traffic incidents, resulting in 9,205 deaths involving both Thai residents and tourists in 2011.

In contrast, 1,901 people were killed in road accidents in the UK in 2011.

After natural causes, road crashes are the most common cause of death for British nationals in Thailand.

Mark Kent, ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand, said: "British nationals using the roads in Thailand should bear in mind that road laws and driving customs here are different from those in the UK and road conditions, driving standards and road traffic regulations can vary.

Full story: http://news.sky.com/story/1069680/app-to-reduce-brit-road-crashes-abroad

-- sky news 2013-03-26

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safer driving abroad: Brits urged to take more care on holiday roads

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) has today launched a campaign to help Brits use the roads safely overseas and stay on the right side of foreign traffic laws.

The initiative is in response to FCO staff based overseas reporting a high number of traffic incidents affecting British tourists and expats in popular destinations such as Thailand, Australia and Spain.

After deaths from natural causes, road incidents are the most common fatality for British nationals in Thailand and cause a high number of hospitalisations. According to FCO staff in Thailand, the majority of accidents involve motorcycles and scooters.

Mark Kent, the UK ambassador to Thailand, said: “Accidents do occur and not all tragedies are avoidable, but the outcome could be very different with many lives being saved and critical injuries reduced if people adopted the same safety precautions abroad that they would naturally take at home.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/driving-abroad-fco-tool-helps-1784166

-- Mirror 2013-03-26

The real scoop is the relatively low death toll on Thai roads considering the driving habits.

According to the article in the OP, Thailand had "only" 9,205 traffic deaths in 2011, which surprised me.

We can compare that to the following figures from the year 2000, from countries with approximatively the same population as Thailand:
France: 8.079
Germany: 7.503
UK: 3.409
Switzerland: 592 (but with only 8 million pop, multiply by about 8) = approx. 2400 equivalent.

Agreed, nowadays the figures in Europe are much lower, by about half.

BUT: what gets me thinking is how reluctant I am today to take the car to go anywhere in Switzerland or to drive long distances, because of the PITA it is to drive, because everything is forbidden, no place to park, parking tickets, ridiculous speed limits and the high risk of getting caught speeding exceeding the limit forced upon us, police looking for yellow jackets in the car, etc. driving in Europe is constant stress.

I wonder if nazism on the roads for the sake of safety is really worth it if it only achieves to halve or quarter the road deaths if compared to a country like Thailand, where driving remains a much more enjoyable experience than in Europe.

• Like 1

This article is convoluted. Is it talking about educating Brits on how to drive? Why not bring Thailand up to global standards. The Wai may be heralded and seen in public but put a Thai behind the wheel of any vehicle and look at the Jekyll and Hyde scenario happen. The statistics are staggering by why not report the numbers for 2012 or in fact, shows meaningful stats like how many involved tourists?

The main issue is Thai driver manners and arrogance IMO. With no way to address this nor the ability to administer severe and enforceable punishments a solution is impossible.

They are deficient on the roads in so many areas that they need a panel to get together and start to piece together a workable for the longer term. Unfortunately the buffoons only seem to have hair-brained schemes to paper over the cracks and ensure the status quo of bribery in lieu of punishment is maintained. If we had efficient enforcement then these suggestions (among others) would help;

• They need a proper training and education system for drivers with minimum amount of practice time in control of a motor vehicle
  • The driving tests need to be improved especially the practical element with the introduction of one-on-one examinations and assessments
  • A points system needs to be brought into effect ensuring unsafe drivers are taken off the roads and there is more driver responsibility
  • A plate system needs to be brought into effect. L plates for learners and P plates for new drivers. They need to display them at all times for a set period of time.
  • More rigorous vehicle checks including an MOT type system for older vehicles.
  • The Police need more sophisticated technology to track vehicles and licenses.
  • Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased.
  • Instant bans for drunk drivers.
  • Vehicle seizure and impound for offenders.
  • Pedestrians must be considered at all times. Failures to stop at road-crossings or for pedestrians should be punished severely.
  • Budgets increased for road infrastructure and better public transport options.

There's a few to get us going, not really difficult to make a difference if they really wanted to.

''If we had efficient enforcement then these suggestions (among others) would help;''

You know very well it is not the case, so why bother with suggestions???

And it always amazes me that people think that training for is required for driving. Hello!!!

These people drive very well, and even way before they do get a drivers license. The 12 year old drive very well, and just not old enough to realize that they can get away with murder. They do when they reach 17 or 18.

They just drive irresponsibly, because the system allows it to be so.

Changes have to come from the head...and it will not be very soon...

• Like 1

an app. excellent.

the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is surely worth all the tax money. good to see that they look after their citizens.

must be feel good to be british and have that app on the iphone. share it also with other tourists like Indians(who have probably been the coder who wrote that app)n and all the others.

really brilliant idea. thumbs up 3x.

• Like 1

The figure of 9205 for road deaths seems very low to me. But have no definitive figures, I guess the 2012 figures are not available yet as they are still deciding what that figure should be.

Recently The Nation in an article used a figure of 'up to 26000 killed in road accidents per year in Thailand' which I think is closer the the real figure, but again no proof.

Article here http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

• Like 2

Given the state of Thai driving and law enforcement, an app is not needed. An SMS will suffice:

1. Don't drive 2. Don't be a passenger 3. Never be anywhere near a road or sidewalk

could all be condensed to:

1. Don't leave home

I truely believe that if a little research was done on traffic accidents here in Thailand you would find that someone invloved with that accident was either drunk on booze or high on drugs. I have seen too many and many are drunk. It does not matter if the driver is thai ot a forienger. Someone was under the influence os a substance.

This article is convoluted. Is it talking about educating Brits on how to drive? Why not bring Thailand up to global standards. The Wai may be heralded and seen in public but put a Thai behind the wheel of any vehicle and look at the Jekyll and Hyde scenario happen. The statistics are staggering by why not report the numbers for 2012 or in fact, shows meaningful stats like how many involved tourists?

The main issue is Thai driver manners and arrogance IMO. With no way to address this nor the ability to administer severe and enforceable punishments a solution is impossible.

They are deficient on the roads in so many areas that they need a panel to get together and start to piece together a workable for the longer term. Unfortunately the buffoons only seem to have hair-brained schemes to paper over the cracks and ensure the status quo of bribery in lieu of punishment is maintained. If we had efficient enforcement then these suggestions (among others) would help;

• They need a proper training and education system for drivers with minimum amount of practice time in control of a motor vehicle
  • The driving tests need to be improved especially the practical element with the introduction of one-on-one examinations and assessments
  • A points system needs to be brought into effect ensuring unsafe drivers are taken off the roads and there is more driver responsibility
  • A plate system needs to be brought into effect. L plates for learners and P plates for new drivers. They need to display them at all times for a set period of time.
  • More rigorous vehicle checks including an MOT type system for older vehicles.
  • The Police need more sophisticated technology to track vehicles and licenses.
  • Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased.
  • Instant bans for drunk drivers.
  • Vehicle seizure and impound for offenders.
  • Pedestrians must be considered at all times. Failures to stop at road-crossings or for pedestrians should be punished severely.
  • Budgets increased for road infrastructure and better public transport options.

There's a few to get us going, not really difficult to make a difference if they really wanted to.

It's a great list and would bring the Thai economy to a crawl in short order if actually implemented (especially the drunk driver ban). And it would conflict with the solution they already have in place to reduce the potential of (more?) overpopulation. Alas, the solution is a double-edged sword w/r to expats and tourists.

Edited by MaxYakov

Besides intersections the flashing lights also indicates, I am on the wrong side of the road and I am going to be on the wrong side of the road when you arrive in front of me. Slow down and drive onto the shoulder so I can stay on the wrong side of the road.

Foreign drivers should definitely know these customs.

I love driving in Thailand, especially in the rural area I live.

I really cannot agree with a massive, bureaucratic clampdown but the police in Thailand are pretty much like the police anywhere and go for soft targets. Particularly speeding, its obvious and its fun to police it and the drivers are good for a bribe.

Thai drivers from my experience are something like 50 times more cautious than Australians, and mostly a lot more courteous, explaining why Australians need many more road rules and fines. Its that sort of place and the State always needs the fantastic cash flow, the fines are providing every week.

Thailand is inflicted with a small but deadly group of aggressive drivers, who are not like other road users.

There are however very obvious hazards on the road, I would start giving my attention to.

In the country areas, kids as young as six head off to school on a motor bike with four or five other kids on it. Whereas that in itself is not necessarily dangerous, these kids should be licensed, at least, so they know the road rules. The motor bikes frequently have no tail lights and are without rear view mirrors, meaning they are not that interested in what's coming up behind them, so when they make a turn, you know they haven't looked behind themselves.

Motorbikes driving at night down the wrong side of the road, confusing the hell out of oncoming traffic. Motor bikes, rice and rubber tractors that have no tail lights, you suddenly find almost under you in the middle of the night.

The shocking trait that large vehicles and others have of travelling on the wrong side of the road, overtaking on blind corners, overtaking where there are no gaps in the traffic to pull into and some of the worst offenders are commercial bus drivers, who seem to think that size is all. I encountered one driving down the wrong side of a median strip on a six lane highway. Just wanted to overtake the slightly slower traffic on his side of the road.

Whereas I like driving here, am very reluctant to catch a bus.

I have always thought that a defensive driving course, necessary for road professionals in Australia should be standard fare for any driver, anywhere.

• Like 1

Another pointless App and a hideous idea. Most tourists will travel at the mercy of locals, taxi, bus or tuk tuk. When the tourist get off the plane and a Thai taxi driver accosts him to come to his meterless cab with the seatbelts disconnected (as most are) I'm sure he will be thinking about this App.

Most Brit's driving motorbikes in Thailand have never ridden one before. Same goes for most tourist. Check see if they have a FULL motorbike licence if not don't let hire. If the police stop them tell to get off and walk and take their licence away. I driven in Thailand 7 years without incident, I have a full UK bike and Car licence for over 50 years. But only ridden a bike once the was enough for me. Last time driving in Pattaya the expats drive like the Thai's, shortest route not round a bend across it, wrong against the traffic. I get so pis**d off with idiotic expats and tourist riding bikes.

OH ! Just woke up don't let them rent a bike!!!! my god no money, Take their licence, no tea money!!!!!

Will the app come with a breathalyzer?

And regarding the flashing of lights...I know in the dark provinces it means give me the right of way, but 90% of the time when I flash my lights in Bangkok the other driver understands that I am yielding the right of way. Driving in Bangkok is like driving in another country compared with anywhere else in Thailand.

As for Thai driving habits, as long as you realize that Thais drive cars pretty much the same way they drive motocy you can be fairly certain to avoid what you believe are crazy moves on the road. Makes sense when you consider that many (most?) Thais have been driving a motocy for 6-10 years before they get behind the wheel of a car.

• Like 1

The figure of 9205 for road deaths seems very low to me. But have no definitive figures, I guess the 2012 figures are not available yet as they are still deciding what that figure should be.

Recently The Nation in an article used a figure of 'up to 26000 killed in road accidents per year in Thailand' which I think is closer the the real figure, but again no proof.

Article here http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

the figures seem real enough:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

Also, I wonder how many of those deaths are due to emergency medical services not being as performant as in Europe?

Another pointless App and a hideous idea. Most tourists will travel at the mercy of locals, taxi, bus or tuk tuk. When the tourist get off the plane and a Thai taxi driver accosts him to come to his meterless cab with the seatbelts disconnected (as most are) I'm sure he will be thinking about this App.

Where are all these meterless taxis in Bangkok? I haven't seen a taxi without a meter here in probably 10 years. And I take taxis almost daily. As far as seatbelts go, well when in Rome etc etc. I understand the risks and never wore a seatbelt in the U.S. either. To be honest, unless you're on the expressway the traffic in Thailand rarely moves fast enough for a seatbelt to make much of a difference.

• Like 1

Given the state of Thai driving and law enforcement, an app is not needed. An SMS will suffice: 1. Don't drive 2. Don't be a passenger 3. Never be anywhere near a road or sidewalk could all be condensed to: 1. Don't leave home

Don't leave home with a destination of Thailand (maybe SEA in general?), anyway.

the figures seem real enough:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

Also, I wonder how many of those deaths are due to emergency medical services not being as performant as in Europe?

In defense of the EMS services, its difficult to get there fast enough when no one will yield to you and you can't use road shoulders because they are already clogged with other cars using them as a lane or with street vendors and double parked cars.

The laws are all in place for the Thai people to obey an follow, but unfortunatly when the the police dont even know the law themselves there is no regard or respect. this leads to disabediance on an unprecedented level.

Brits coming here should be taught the imorality that is the norm, ie look after yourself because others are out to get you and if you are walking in the road chances are someone WILL run you down.

If you want to rent a motor bike or car you better learn to NOT follow rules. Ie stop at a traffic light when its changing to red will cause the car behind to hit you or swerve around.

If you are in a hurry dont use the right side of the road to "overtake" its far easier to use the hard sholder or empty left lane.

etc etc,

Someone should make an app to "Un-teach" driving skills to forigners comming here. and perhaps some sort of treatment to make them, uncaring, arogant, stupid, and install a dont care a shit about you attitude while waring a soppy smile all the time.

And if you do hit the jackpot and kill someone on the road dont forget to lock in that big soppy smile. tongue.pngwai.giflaugh.pngwink.pngsmile.pngthumbsup.gifI

I agree with your post, except that I do believe that policemen do know the law.

Problem is there are 2 lists:

The jing law

And the mai jing law.

The jing law has to do with murder, rape, theft, drugs, underage sex, and perhaps violence.

The mai jing list is the rest, the mai bpen rai one...

• Like 2

The report gives numbers of UK tourists/residents, but does not give the number of these UK citizens involved within the RTA total.

What is the significance of RTA per head of population ? Why not relate RTA to the total number of vehicles on the road, when comparing between countries?

The APP should be welcomed as a positive contribution, but sadly, it is likely to be ignored by most, as are the many other warnings and driving advice about careful driving in a foreign country. The information is there already.