App Launched To Reduce Brit Road Accidents While Travelling In Thailand

webfact

Very good rules we miss in Thailand according the UK site

Many countries in Europe have unusual road laws which Britons may be unaware of.

These include:

:: France - drivers are required to carry a breathalyser

:: Belarus - it is illegal to drive a dirty car

:: Serbia - drivers must have a tow bar and 3m of rope in their vehicle

:: Spain - if you wear glasses, you are required to carry an additional pair when driving

These kind of things we really don't need in Thailand. I like it the way it is.w00t.gif

We don't have "these kind of things" in Thailand, but did you know that it is illegal to drive a car while not wearing a shirt in Thailand ? ... and of course you must be wearing underwear, since it is illegal to go outside your home in Thailand without underwear. I hope that these things are mentioned in the 'app'.

It has been illegal not to wear a shirt in Thailand for years, whether or not you are pissed! And, if you are pissed, they probably will ask you to put on a shirt, then take cover under a tree until you are sober enough to drive away - Curiously, has anyone here ever been breathalysed? I have never seen a machine here, nor ever asked to give a sample whether breath urine or blood! I was pulled once on one of those MEGA COP MONEY days where they just pull everyone, they smelled alcohol on me, and simply asked if I liked Thai Whisky - I told them I only liked beer and that was the end of it. Two days later, I was drinking a couple of Changs in a small mom and pop store, and it turned out that the owner was the head cop from near my place - I had had a little over the limit - I had bought him a beer, I didn't know at the time he was a cop, but his wife gave me his card with a tel. no. and told me to give him a call if I ever got stopped in his jurisdiction! A couple of cops turned up in a pick up as I was leaving and one of them managed to get my bike started, as I couldn't get it going! Some good, some bad!

Edited by Briandajew

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good rules we miss in Thailand according the UK site

Many countries in Europe have unusual road laws which Britons may be unaware of.

These include:

:: France - drivers are required to carry a breathalyser

:: Belarus - it is illegal to drive a dirty car

:: Serbia - drivers must have a tow bar and 3m of rope in their vehicle

:: Spain - if you wear glasses, you are required to carry an additional pair when driving

These kind of things we really don't need in Thailand. I like it the way it is.w00t.gif

We don't have "these kind of things" in Thailand, but did you know that it is illegal to drive a car while not wearing a shirt in Thailand ? ... and of course you must be wearing underwear, since it is illegal to go outside your home in Thailand without underwear. I hope that these things are mentioned in the 'app'.

Those illegalities must be part of the mai jing list, the mai bpen rai list......surely...

This article is convoluted. Is it talking about educating Brits on how to drive? Why not bring Thailand up to global standards. The Wai may be heralded and seen in public but put a Thai behind the wheel of any vehicle and look at the Jekyll and Hyde scenario happen. The statistics are staggering by why not report the numbers for 2012 or in fact, shows meaningful stats like how many involved tourists?

The main issue is Thai driver manners and arrogance IMO. With no way to address this nor the ability to administer severe and enforceable punishments a solution is impossible.

They are deficient on the roads in so many areas that they need a panel to get together and start to piece together a workable for the longer term. Unfortunately the buffoons only seem to have hair-brained schemes to paper over the cracks and ensure the status quo of bribery in lieu of punishment is maintained. If we had efficient enforcement then these suggestions (among others) would help;

• They need a proper training and education system for drivers with minimum amount of practice time in control of a motor vehicle
  • The driving tests need to be improved especially the practical element with the introduction of one-on-one examinations and assessments
  • A points system needs to be brought into effect ensuring unsafe drivers are taken off the roads and there is more driver responsibility
  • A plate system needs to be brought into effect. L plates for learners and P plates for new drivers. They need to display them at all times for a set period of time.
  • More rigorous vehicle checks including an MOT type system for older vehicles.
  • The Police need more sophisticated technology to track vehicles and licenses.
  • Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased.
  • Instant bans for drunk drivers.
  • Vehicle seizure and impound for offenders.
  • Pedestrians must be considered at all times. Failures to stop at road-crossings or for pedestrians should be punished severely.
  • Budgets increased for road infrastructure and better public transport options.

There's a few to get us going, not really difficult to make a difference if they really wanted to.

''If we had efficient enforcement then these suggestions (among others) would help;''

You know very well it is not the case, so why bother with suggestions???

And it always amazes me that people think that training for is required for driving. Hello!!!

These people drive very well, and even way before they do get a drivers license. The 12 year old drive very well, and just not old enough to realize that they can get away with murder. They do when they reach 17 or 18.

They just drive irresponsibly, because the system allows it to be so.

Changes have to come from the head...and it will not be very soon...

That might be so, but the driving norms that they use come from their family or associates, many of whom have developed very bad habits.

Cutting corners & not giving way to oncoming traffic when making a turn are two of these.

Also many young people do not feel that they need to get a driving licence.

The original article said "In Thailand - a country with 50,000 British residents and more than 870,000 British visitors every year - there were 68,852 road traffic incidents, resulting in 9,205 deaths involving both Thai residents and tourists in 2011" but it didn't say how many incidents involved British drivers so why do they think we Brits are more risky than other nationalities then?

It isn't an app anyway it is a webpage with links and not much road safety info but general hints and tips.

It never said that Brits were more risky than other nationalities, it's advice given to Brits when travelling to other countries. Maybe if other agencies from other countries did the same there would be less than the quoted figure of deaths involving both Thai and tourists.
Actually it says "High numbers of crashes involving British tourists and expats" so it is not really saying they are more risky but that they have lots of accidents which I am willing to bet it connected with drinking and driving as lets face it the Brits drink like crazy!
But do the Brits have any more accidents than other nationalities? It's still good that this advice is given, maybe other governments could do the same for their expats and hopefully save someone of any nationality.

Thanks for the info! I've been driving here for over ten years, and never have I once seen flash left constant right, or a flash left constant right, usually it just means the <deleted> forgot to turn the switch off... "The Thoughtfull driver" - Have you ever been on a road here...there are no thoughtfull drivers, they will pull up to a junction and block anyone trying to turn right or left rather than wait, imagine you are queuing in a lane of traffic wanting to go ahead, the light is red, on your left side there is a junction, there is no way you can move, so, instead of leaving the left junction open for oncoming traffic turning right, you sit there in you SUV blocking any oncoming traffic - They are so stupid that they cannot even see that this just causes more blockage at the lights! - Thoughtfull drivers my ARSE - What spaceship did you just get off!

Can you tell me what flashing constant right means in the fast (Right hand lane) for 10 KM? or flashing constant left for 10KM means? Is this some sort of indication that sometime in their lives they actually intend to make a turn? But we have to guess whether it will be today or tomorrow?

Also, an interpretation of the motorbike signals, where they leave the left indicator on for half an hour after turning out of the Big C car park onto a three lane highway then decide to cross the three lanes to the right to make a U turn? - In fact, is anything you posted in any highway code in any country in the entire world? Or are you just imagining it?

An indicator is an indicator - It isn't a game of guess what the idiot is going to do in the next 10 KM!

You need to get a job writing the Highway Code for Thailand - then we can all understand it!

This time only 6 out of 10 for the rant, but not bad at all.

I too have been driving here for over ten years on bikes and in cars and pickups. Do I get a medal for not having any accidents?

Amazingly - given the number of complaints about white commuter vans and taxis - you will find in Phuket that it is quite common for these tin boxes full of farangs to be driven by a "thoughtful" driver who does indeed indicate right then left when avoiding someone turning right. I do it too. I also look in my rear view mirror to check the vehicle behind me has also avoided the vehicle turning right. And I often see that vehicle indicate right then left.

So I come from planet Phuket, not a spaceship. I wonder how you manage to avoid having an accident with your attitude.

Regarding cross-roads and junctions, it is normal in Phuket to let vehicles coming from the opposite direction turn across your path when the traffic lights go green. This is so that the cars from the opposite direction that want to go straight on are not held up for long. It may hold YOU up for a few seconds, but overall it helps to keep the traffic flowing.

Regarding indicators left on, aren't they easy to detect? Why make such a fuss? If it's a bike, just give him a couple of quick toots so he knows you are there and then pass him.

Highway code? Here's a start

• Like 1

A total waste of time and effort and does little if anything to even begin to eleviate the problem. When are the foreign embassy's going to stop kissing ass in this country and putting out shallow meaninggless reports. They know full well the main causative reasons and the inept nature of any form of enforcement to any of the regulations.

Thai's drive and behave the way the do because they do not know any better, however, they do know that they can get away with it. A program to rectify this would go a long way in reducing the stupidity and resultant carnage on the roads.

The new British Ambassabor is simply ass kissing in the long established format of the foreign office.

Glad we now have an app because these old guidelines still seem to be in use:

Rule 1: Stop drinking after the 12th beer.

Rule 2: If you can't manage to get your key into the motorbike, ask your new lady friend to do it for you.

Rule 3: If you put your helmet on over your eyes, no one can see you either.

Rule 4: Check your breath; if it smells like alcohol, go buy some gum

Rule 5: When starting your bike at 4am, be sure to rev the engine as hard and as loud as possible to scare away the coppers.

Rule 6: Look in the mirror... if you see 3 heads, you're the middle one.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

This article is convoluted. Is it talking about educating Brits on how to drive? Why not bring Thailand up to global standards. The Wai may be heralded and seen in public but put a Thai behind the wheel of any vehicle and look at the Jekyll and Hyde scenario happen. The statistics are staggering by why not report the numbers for 2012 or in fact, shows meaningful stats like how many involved tourists?

Educating Brits about the fact that flashing your lights going through a junction means you are coming through, will at least save a few Brits the odd heart attack.

And that in Thailand a red light means you speed up not slow down.

A total waste of time and effort and does little if anything to even begin to eleviate the problem. When are the foreign embassy's going to stop kissing ass in this country and putting out shallow meaninggless reports. They know full well the main causative reasons and the inept nature of any form of enforcement to any of the regulations.

Thai's drive and behave the way the do because they do not know any better, however, they do know that they can get away with it. A program to rectify this would go a long way in reducing the stupidity and resultant carnage on the roads.

The new British Ambassabor is simply ass kissing in the long established format of the foreign office.

It's not just for this country, it is for many that Brits travel to. The British foreign office also know they cannot have any influence on the causative reasons for this ineptitude in Thailand, all they can do is warn their citizens about it, which is what they are doing, how is that a waste of time? Edited by Buckaroo

Educating Brits about the fact that flashing your lights going through a junction means you are coming through, will at least save a few Brits the odd heart attack.

Yes, I have to adjust to the British meaning when back in the UK each year. I wonder if I am the only motorcyclist here who actually finds riding in Bangkok rather relaxing? It's all about your approach to riding here. Just expect the unexpected and you can't go wrong. Keep your speed reasonable and don't forget that all important "Lifesaver" look over the shoulder. I often play a game of "I spy with my little eye the Thai rider who checks behind him before moving off." Big fat ZERO most days. 99% of bike riders here wouldn't know clutch control if it came up and bit them on the A**#. But I digress..

9000 deaths per annum on Thai roads is a gross underestimate. When I lived in Korat the police ran a poster campaign setting out the number of deaths each month on the roads. It seemed to average about 70 a month. Let's first assume all deaths are recorded which is unlikely.Then lets say the average for each of the 76 provinces is only 35 per month, half the Korat average. That produces 31,920 road deaths each year. This is a good deal more plausible and seeing the unrelenting carnage that goes on year after year even that is probably not a true figure.

We all know every Thai driver seems to be lacking in the brain-cell dept. when it comes to driving, but wait on..

How many times have we seen a Farang couple rent a m/bike, then wobble off down the Soi (going the wrong way down the 1-way St.)..all this while he's wearing nothing except a smile & his flip-flops/thongs + shorts, she's no better with a bikini-top, shorts & plastic sandals..the single helmet the rental cowboy offered them is now in permanant residence..nice & cosy in the basket..they're still giggling away when after 5 mins of riding they've managed to slalom around 6 on-coming vehicles,..5 minutes! What about the rest of the day?, what about when these 2 muppets meet the main flow of traffic? Oh <deleted>! Yes we hear many horror-stories about tragedies abroad, but hey..wait on..many could have been avoided with half an ounce of common sense..something many Tourists seem to leave behind when they go on their Jollies.

Once we're all buckled-in onboard the plane, maybe just after the 'Oh <deleted>** we're gonna crash' video, the airline could then run a 'Dipsh**s abroad' video highlighting the aftermath of road accidents..such as amputated limbs, or the Embassy contacting the next-of-kin..Shock-tactics MAY hit home..?? (sorry to be quite blunt about this folks).

• Like 2

• They need a proper training and education system for drivers with minimum amount of practice time in control of a motor vehicle

Yes but it won't happen any ttme soon. Anyway it's not needed see below.

The driving tests need to be improved especially the practical element with the introduction of one-on-one examinations and assessments

A wonderful source of bribes for the examiners. Could be almost as attractive asa police job.

A points system needs to be brought into effect ensuring unsafe drivers are taken off the roads and there is more driver responsibility

There is already a points system which mirrors the British one.

A plate system needs to be brought into effect. L plates for learners and P plates for new drivers. They need to display them at all times for a set period of time.

They won't bother to use them and if caught a few Baht will solve the problem.

More rigorous vehicle checks including an MOT type system for older vehicles.

There is already such a system. If I remember correctly after the vehicle is 7 or 8 years old. Any problems found can be eradicated with Baht.

The Police need more sophisticated technology to track vehicles and licenses.

They absence of such technology does not inhibit there primary role which is to collect money.

Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased.

More money to disappear into someone's pocket.

Instant bans for drunk drivers.

The ban will be ignored and any subsequent problem will provide another source of income for the BIB.

Vehicle seizure and impound for offenders.

Dream on. This happens with bikes in many places and as soon as money is paid the bike is released.

Pedestrians must be considered at all times. Failures to stop at road-crossings or for pedestrians should be punished severely.

It should be but it won't be.

Budgets increased for road infrastructure and better public transport options.

Goody goody more money for my pocket.

The problem is Thailand and until Thailand changes things will continue as they are.

• Like 1

• Yes but it won't happen any ttme soon. Anyway it's not needed see below.
  • The driving tests need to be improved especially the practical element with the introduction of one-on-one examinations and assessments
  • A wonderful source of bribes for the examiners. Could be almost as attractive asa police job.
  • A points system needs to be brought into effect ensuring unsafe drivers are taken off the roads and there is more driver responsibility
  • There is already a points system which mirrors the British one.
  • A plate system needs to be brought into effect. L plates for learners and P plates for new drivers. They need to display them at all times for a set period of time.
  • They won't bother to use them and if caught a few Baht will solve the problem.
  • There is already such a system. If I remember correctly after the vehicle is 7 or 8 years old. Any problems found can be eradicated with Baht.
  • They absence of such technology does not inhibit there primary role which is to collect money.
  • Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased.
  • More money to disappear into someone's pocket.
  • The ban will be ignored and any subsequent problem will provide another source of income for the BIB.
  • Dream on. This happens with bikes in many places and as soon as money is paid the bike is released.
  • Pedestrians must be considered at all times. Failures to stop at road-crossings or for pedestrians should be punished severely.
  • It should be but it won't be.
  • Budgets increased for road infrastructure and better public transport options.
  • Goody goody more money for my pocket.
The problem is Thailand and until Thailand changes things will continue as they are.
Go back to where you came from then, I came here to get away from all that you have posted above
  • Like 1

9000 deaths per annum on Thai roads is a gross underestimate. When I lived in Korat the police ran a poster campaign setting out the number of deaths each month on the roads. It seemed to average about 70 a month. Let's first assume all deaths are recorded which is unlikely.Then lets say the average for each of the 76 provinces is only 35 per month, half the Korat average. That produces 31,920 road deaths each year. This is a good deal more plausible and seeing the unrelenting carnage that goes on year after year even that is probably not a true figure.

Learn to read the OP

We all know every Thai driver seems to be lacking in the brain-cell dept. when it comes to driving, but wait on..

How many times have we seen a Farang couple rent a m/bike, then wobble off down the Soi (going the wrong way down the 1-way St.)..all this while he's wearing nothing except a smile & his flip-flops/thongs + shorts, she's no better with a bikini-top, shorts & plastic sandals..the single helmet the rental cowboy offered them is now in permanant residence..nice & cosy in the basket..they're still giggling away when after 5 mins of riding they've managed to slalom around 6 on-coming vehicles,..5 minutes! What about the rest of the day?, what about when these 2 muppets meet the main flow of traffic? Oh <deleted>! Yes we hear many horror-stories about tragedies abroad, but hey..wait on..many could have been avoided with half an ounce of common sense..something many Tourists seem to leave behind when they go on their Jollies.

Once we're all buckled-in onboard the plane, maybe just after the 'Oh <deleted>** we're gonna crash' video, the airline could then run a 'Dipsh**s abroad' video highlighting the aftermath of road accidents..such as amputated limbs, or the Embassy contacting the next-of-kin..Shock-tactics MAY hit home..?? (sorry to be quite blunt about this folks).

+1

Learn to read the OP

The OP talks about 62,000 accidents and 9000 deaths. I'm talking about 31,000 deaths. Learn to read.

• Yes but it won't happen any ttme soon. Anyway it's not needed see below.
  • A wonderful source of bribes for the examiners. Could be almost as attractive asa police job.
  • There is already a points system which mirrors the British one.
  • They won't bother to use them and if caught a few Baht will solve the problem.
  • There is already such a system. If I remember correctly after the vehicle is 7 or 8 years old. Any problems found can be eradicated with Baht.
  • They absence of such technology does not inhibit there primary role which is to collect money.
  • More money to disappear into someone's pocket.
  • The ban will be ignored and any subsequent problem will provide another source of income for the BIB.
  • Dream on. This happens with bikes in many places and as soon as money is paid the bike is released.
  • It should be but it won't be.
  • Goody goody more money for my pocket.

A great and accurate list.

I do have one question

"Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased"

Are you suggesting they introduce road rage such as is so normal in North America it never makes the news papers any more.

That would certainly give them some anti social behavior to remove,

Or were you talking about their politeness you know when one car double parks to rush into a store and holds up a string of vehicles.cheesy.gif

Learn to read the OP

The OP talks about 62,000 accidents and 9000 deaths. I'm talking about 31,000 deaths. Learn to read.

You like all the other posters are over looking the fact that the first hour after an accident is the most critical one to receive medical attention.

Thailand is not set up for that hence more deaths than you would see in the same amount of accidents in many of the western countries.

• Like 1

These numbers are crazy!! Who did the survey? If this is true and the Brits drive on the same side of the road, what does that say about the tourists/residents who come from countries that drive normally on the other side of the road?

Learn to read the OP
9000+ deaths that involve Thai and tourists, not 9000 deaths on Thai roads. My eyesight and reading capabilities are fine, how's yours? Edited by Buckaroo

Learn to read the OP
9000+ deaths that involve Thai and tourists, not 9000 deaths on Thai roads. My eyesight and reading capabilities are fine, how's yours?

You need to bring yourself up to date. The numbers quoted by the FCO are no longer valid. The Thai Vice Interior Minister recently publicly stated the actual figure is closer to 26,000 killed each year in traffic accidents in Thailand. Go to URL for more info.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

If you factor blood alcohol level into the statistics for British tourists (or ex-pats) who die in driving accidents, you might get a different view of the dangers of Thai roads. Driving while drunk, while on holiday (or going home to your house after drinking at a bar, for ex-pats). The penalties in the UK for drunk driving are severe, and it's a police state so UK drivers are much more careful when driving after imbibing. When they come to Thailand the false deception of being free to drink and drive without consequences appealing. If you would just attribute this factor into the statistic it might alter perceptions of the dangerousness of Thai roads as opposed to the carelessness of UK drunk drivers.

Edited by me313
  • Like 2

How many tourists will bother with this ridiculous app ? In my time here I find visitors fall into two main categories, 1. " I've been here many times and know what's what " or 2. " I'm always extra careful when on holiday overseas ".

I am sure this will generate many responses, but lets not get carried away with bringing Thailand up to "western' standards.

I am very happy with the no points system here for infringements, travelling up country I can save several hours by travelling around 160KPH and well worth paying the police a hundred or so baht three or four times each trip. God forbid they ever allow police to impound vehicles.

A lot of ex pats came to Thailand to get away from over zealous legislators in Europe.

Having driven for seventeen years in Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia and other countries without an accident, I for one don't want to see more legislation.

Perhaps we should insist that tourists are not allowed self drive when hire of car and driver is so cheap.

" travelling up country I can save several hours by travelling around 160KPH and well worth paying the police a hundred or so baht three or four times each trip"

Whereas in principle I can agree with your logic, you are adding to the problem (no matter how good a driver you think you are wink.png ) as your stopping time is out the window for any "unexpected" events.

Keep it safe; reduce your speed to 120kph and have half a dozen changs before setting off for the higher speed experience. Saves a bit on fuel (for the car anyway) as well.

I know several Thais and Farangs that do exactly this on a daily basis..................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Most Brit's driving motorbikes in Thailand have never ridden one before. Same goes for most tourist. Check see if they have a FULL motorbike licence if not don't let hire. If the police stop them tell to get off and walk and take their licence away. I driven in Thailand 7 years without incident, I have a full UK bike and Car licence for over 50 years. But only ridden a bike once the was enough for me. Last time driving in Pattaya the expats drive like the Thai's, shortest route not round a bend across it, wrong against the traffic. I get so pis**d off with idiotic expats and tourist riding bikes.

OH ! Just woke up don't let them rent a bike!!!! my god no money, Take their licence, no tea money!!!!!

That goes for Thais as well. Most Thais haven't driven a car before and they are on the road. Many of these young girls get a foreign bf that buys a new car for them and jump right in and start driving! Never driven a car before.