App Launched To Reduce Brit Road Accidents While Travelling In Thailand

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know every Thai driver seems to be lacking in the brain-cell dept. when it comes to driving, but wait on..

How many times have we seen a Farang couple rent a m/bike, then wobble off down the Soi (going the wrong way down the 1-way St.)..all this while he's wearing nothing except a smile & his flip-flops/thongs + shorts, she's no better with a bikini-top, shorts & plastic sandals..the single helmet the rental cowboy offered them is now in permanant residence..nice & cosy in the basket..they're still giggling away when after 5 mins of riding they've managed to slalom around 6 on-coming vehicles,..5 minutes! What about the rest of the day?, what about when these 2 muppets meet the main flow of traffic? Oh <deleted>! Yes we hear many horror-stories about tragedies abroad, but hey..wait on..many could have been avoided with half an ounce of common sense..something many Tourists seem to leave behind when they go on their Jollies.

Once we're all buckled-in onboard the plane, maybe just after the 'Oh <deleted>** we're gonna crash' video, the airline could then run a 'Dipsh**s abroad' video highlighting the aftermath of road accidents..such as amputated limbs, or the Embassy contacting the next-of-kin..Shock-tactics MAY hit home..?? (sorry to be quite blunt about this folks).

+1

They talk about drinking and driving is a problem. My problem is driving and drinking! After driving on the road with these Thais I need a drink!

• Like 1

No motorbike licence from your home country or Thailand and it should be policy to not rent a bike, the majority of tourists have car licences they just want to save a few baht.

Watching some of they 20 year old backpackers driving out of the bike hiring places, is like watching a kid learning to ride a bike without stabilisers. I genuinely feel scared for them, even if it is a twist and go.

it would be appreciated if somebody could tell me the official rules of the road ,or is there a book to read or a piece of paper with something written on because I AM SICK AND SACRED WHEN DRIVING AT NIGHT WHEN SOME IDIOT IS DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH OUT THE CAR LIGHTS ON !

I am curious why only Brits need help and they create an app to assist.

Because a Brit has been paid serious cash to come up with a crap idea to help with safety, it's the countries that drive on the other side of the road that need the app even more.

Pixelated crash sceens in the holiday brochures is a better idea.

it would be appreciated if somebody could tell me the official rules of the road ,or is there a book to read or a piece of paper with something written on because I AM SICK AND SACRED WHEN DRIVING AT NIGHT WHEN SOME IDIOT IS DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH OUT THE CAR LIGHTS ON !

But if you knew the official rules of the road, you would be in a minority group and still it would not change the deathwish of other drivers. If you do not know the official rules of the road why are you driving on them? If you did have a book or piece of paper something written on it, how does it help you when you are involved in an accident? Do you show it to the other driver to make sure they know that they are in the wrong? Edited by Buckaroo
  • Like 1

The real scoop is the relatively low death toll on Thai roads considering the driving habits.

According to the article in the OP, Thailand had "only" 9,205 traffic deaths in 2011, which surprised me.

We can compare that to the following figures from the year 2000, from countries with approximatively the same population as Thailand:

France: 8.079

Germany: 7.503

UK: 3.409

Switzerland: 592 (but with only 8 million pop, multiply by about 8) = approx. 2400 equivalent.

Agreed, nowadays the figures in Europe are much lower, by about half.

BUT: what gets me thinking is how reluctant I am today to take the car to go anywhere in Switzerland or to drive long distances, because of the PITA it is to drive, because everything is forbidden, no place to park, parking tickets, ridiculous speed limits and the high risk of getting caught speeding exceeding the limit forced upon us, police looking for yellow jackets in the car, etc. driving in Europe is constant stress.

I wonder if nazism on the roads for the sake of safety is really worth it if it only achieves to halve or quarter the road deaths if compared to a country like Thailand, where driving remains a much more enjoyable experience than in Europe.

The figure for deaths is only the ones who actually die on the spot. It does NOT include people who die in hospital

as a result of the accident. The UN figure is 26,000+ killed.

69000 incidents Hmmmmmm Anyone who lives here know's that is a huge underestimate.

This article is convoluted. Is it talking about educating Brits on how to drive? Why not bring Thailand up to global standards. The Wai may be heralded and seen in public but put a Thai behind the wheel of any vehicle and look at the Jekyll and Hyde scenario happen. The statistics are staggering by why not report the numbers for 2012 or in fact, shows meaningful stats like how many involved tourists?

yes yes.. once the car door is shut Buddhism and “ Thai love Thai “ goes right out of the window.

The real scoop is the relatively low death toll on Thai roads considering the driving habits.

According to the article in the OP, Thailand had "only" 9,205 traffic deaths in 2011, which surprised me.

We can compare that to the following figures from the year 2000, from countries with approximatively the same population as Thailand:

France: 8.079

Germany: 7.503

UK: 3.409

Switzerland: 592 (but with only 8 million pop, multiply by about 8) = approx. 2400 equivalent.

Agreed, nowadays the figures in Europe are much lower, by about half.

BUT: what gets me thinking is how reluctant I am today to take the car to go anywhere in Switzerland or to drive long distances, because of the PITA it is to drive, because everything is forbidden, no place to park, parking tickets, ridiculous speed limits and the high risk of getting caught speeding exceeding the limit forced upon us, police looking for yellow jackets in the car, etc. driving in Europe is constant stress.

I wonder if nazism on the roads for the sake of safety is really worth it if it only achieves to halve or quarter the road deaths if compared to a country like Thailand, where driving remains a much more enjoyable experience than in Europe.

The figure for deaths is only the ones who actually die on the spot. It does NOT include people who die in hospital

as a result of the accident. The UN figure is 26,000+ killed.

69000 incidents Hmmmmmm Anyone who lives here know's that is a huge underestimate.

I don't know how huge is it?

I would guess there is a lot of minor mishaps with no damage reported same as in any country.

an app. excellent.

the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is surely worth all the tax money. good to see that they look after their citizens.

must be feel good to be british and have that app on the iphone. share it also with other tourists like Indians(who have probably been the coder who wrote that app)n and all the others.

really brilliant idea. thumbs up 3x.

You mean as opposed to doing sweet FA. If it saves one life then it will have been worth it.

And of course , it allows you to post some more of the negative racisit xenophobic comments you enjoy to entertain us. What does your government do to promote awareness of road safety?

• They need a proper training and education system for drivers with minimum amount of practice time in control of a motor vehicle
  • Yes but it won't happen any ttme soon. Anyway it's not needed see below.
  • The driving tests need to be improved especially the practical element with the introduction of one-on-one examinations and assessments
  • A wonderful source of bribes for the examiners. Could be almost as attractive asa police job.
  • A points system needs to be brought into effect ensuring unsafe drivers are taken off the roads and there is more driver responsibility
  • There is already a points system which mirrors the British one.
  • A plate system needs to be brought into effect. L plates for learners and P plates for new drivers. They need to display them at all times for a set period of time.
  • They won't bother to use them and if caught a few Baht will solve the problem.
  • More rigorous vehicle checks including an MOT type system for older vehicles.
  • There is already such a system. If I remember correctly after the vehicle is 7 or 8 years old. Any problems found can be eradicated with Baht.
  • The Police need more sophisticated technology to track vehicles and licenses.
  • They absence of such technology does not inhibit there primary role which is to collect money.
  • Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased.
  • More money to disappear into someone's pocket.
  • Instant bans for drunk drivers.
  • The ban will be ignored and any subsequent problem will provide another source of income for the BIB.
  • Vehicle seizure and impound for offenders.
  • Dream on. This happens with bikes in many places and as soon as money is paid the bike is released.
  • Pedestrians must be considered at all times. Failures to stop at road-crossings or for pedestrians should be punished severely.
  • It should be but it won't be.
  • Budgets increased for road infrastructure and better public transport options.
  • Goody goody more money for my pocket.
The problem is Thailand and until Thailand changes things will continue as they are.
Go back to where you came from then, I came here to get away from all that you have posted above

So your an anarchist then?

Agree that repressive police state mentality with CCTV everywhere is good to get away from. But, some laws to protect citizens do need to be in place. There are many countries with worse driving habits than Thailand - India and Russia spring to mind. The alternative seems to be draconian enforcement of traffic laws. Sad comment in human nature. Here, you can already use a car to kill innocent people, and still get off with a suspended sentence, as long as you have enough money and the right connections. Stopping that bullshit might be a start.

The original article said "In Thailand - a country with 50,000 British residents and more than 870,000 British visitors every year - there were 68,852 road traffic incidents, resulting in 9,205 deaths involving both Thai residents and tourists in 2011" but it didn't say how many incidents involved British drivers so why do they think we Brits are more risky than other nationalities then?

It isn't an app anyway it is a webpage with links and not much road safety info but general hints and tips.

It never said that Brits were more risky than other nationalities, it's advice given to Brits when travelling to other countries. Maybe if other agencies from other countries did the same there would be less than the quoted figure of deaths involving both Thai and tourists.

Actually it says "High numbers of crashes involving British tourists and expats" so it is not really saying they are more risky but that they have lots of accidents which I am willing to bet it connected with drinking and driving as lets face it the Brits drink like crazy!

Crap - try doing some research before you make unfactual racist stereotype comments. Alcohol consumption demographics are easy to research.

We all know that Thai driving standards are very poor but to get them changed will not be done overnight (if ever).

For the non-Thais driving here now, their driving, using the same driving style as at home can be positively dangerous to themselves. In order to survive without an accident you need to change your driving style.

A couple of basic points, first assume that every other driver is an idiot about to do something stupid, it's surprising how many times the other driver confirms that assumption. Also at traffic lights never think that because you have a green light that it's necessarily safe. This applies especially if you are first in line when the lights go from red to green.

Waking up in hospital, or worse in front of the pearly gates, and claiming 'but I was in the right' is probably not worth it. Change your style and be more alert.

Good point above about headlight flash, yes it means 'I'm coming through'. Two flashes mean 'I'm definitely coming through' and three flashes mean 'didn't you see my other flashes'.

When driving in Thailand u need to drive as if u r taking a permanent UK advanced driving test. Assume anything that moves or could move is a potential hazard. A Thai road 'hazard' can attack u from any angle, any place, at any time. One particular danger is when u approach a road junction

• Like 2

We all know that Thai driving standards are very poor but to get them changed will not be done overnight (if ever).

For the non-Thais driving here now, their driving, using the same driving style as at home can be positively dangerous to themselves. In order to survive without an accident you need to change your driving style.

A couple of basic points, first assume that every other driver is an idiot about to do something stupid, it's surprising how many times the other driver confirms that assumption. Also at traffic lights never think that because you have a green light that it's necessarily safe. This applies especially if you are first in line when the lights go from red to green.

Waking up in hospital, or worse in front of the pearly gates, and claiming 'but I was in the right' is probably not worth it. Change your style and be more alert.

Good point above about headlight flash, yes it means 'I'm coming through'. Two flashes mean 'I'm definitely coming through' and three flashes mean 'didn't you see my other flashes'.

When driving in Thailand u need to drive as if u r taking a permanent UK advanced driving test. Assume anything that moves or could move is a potential hazard. A Thai road 'hazard' can attack u from any angle, any place, at any time.

One particular danger is, for those of us used to driving on the left, is when reaching a T junction, we instinctively look right then look left, then right again. In Thailand u must look left first because Thais often blindly turn right at speed, on the wrong side of the road and could hit u just when u r looking right..

an app. excellent.

the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is surely worth all the tax money. good to see that they look after their citizens.

must be feel good to be british and have that app on the iphone. share it also with other tourists like Indians(who have probably been the coder who wrote that app)n and all the others.

You mean as opposed to doing sweet FA. If it saves one life then it will have been worth it.

And of course , it allows you to post some more of the negative racisit xenophobic comments you enjoy to entertain us. What does your government do to promote awareness of road safety?

"FA"? "FA" stands for what?

i also dont get the point why you call my comment "negative racist and xenophobic".

what is your issue that i give this project a triple thumbs up? any kind of road safety awareness program should be welcomed.

The original article said "In Thailand - a country with 50,000 British residents and more than 870,000 British visitors every year - there were 68,852 road traffic incidents, resulting in 9,205 deaths involving both Thai residents and tourists in 2011" but it didn't say how many incidents involved British drivers so why do they think we Brits are more risky than other nationalities then?

It isn't an app anyway it is a webpage with links and not much road safety info but general hints and tips.

It never said that Brits were more risky than other nationalities, it's advice given to Brits when travelling to other countries. Maybe if other agencies from other countries did the same there would be less than the quoted figure of deaths involving both Thai and tourists.

Actually it says "High numbers of crashes involving British tourists and expats" so it is not really saying they are more risky but that they have lots of accidents which I am willing to bet it connected with drinking and driving as lets face it the Brits drink like crazy!

Crap - try doing some research before you make unfactual racist stereotype comments. Alcohol consumption demographics are easy to research.

Yes, and I would like to participate in this research. If you would like to research my drinking habits as an example and of course pay for the drinks, I would be happy to volunteer. thumbsup.gif

an app. excellent.

i also dont get the point why you call my comment "negative racist and xenophobic".

what is your issue that i give this project a triple thumbs up? any kind of road safety awareness program should be welcomed.

"FA?" "FA" stands for what?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Good comments on here. I suggest that the contrast made between accidents in Britain and accidents involving Brits. in Thailand, proves that the Thai's just either cannot drive of they don't give a toss for anyone other than themselves.. There is no excuse for the bad mannered Thai's, plus many of them have no driving licence, road tax or insurance. What the report doesn't advise is who caused the accidents ! I think I'll move on soon as Thailand seems so anti foreigners in every aspect of life.

• Like 1

an app. excellent.

doing sweet <deleted> All (FA) is English slang for 'doing nothing at all'.

an app. excellent.

"FA?" "FA" stands for what?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Whats so funny about someone not understanding English slang?.. And pretty dated slang at that. If u havent noticed there r farang from all over the World in Thailand and posting on here.

A couple of basic points, first assume that every other driver is an idiot about to do something stupid, it's surprising how many times the other driver confirms that assumption.

Also at traffic lights never think that because you have a green light that it's necessarily safe. This applies especially if you are first in line when the lights go from red to green.

When I was learning to drive my instructor said "coloured lights can never stop a car so check for danger before proceeding" . Although not a timid driver, I have always driven as if the other drivers were wanting to crash into me. Only a few times they managed to get me.

In Thailand you need to totally rely on your wits and never assume anything, especially near traffic lights.

I am sure this will generate many responses, but lets not get carried away with bringing Thailand up to "western' standards.

I am very happy with the no points system here for infringements, travelling up country I can save several hours by travelling around 160KPH and well worth paying the police a hundred or so baht three or four times each trip. God forbid they ever allow police to impound vehicles.

A lot of ex pats came to Thailand to get away from over zealous legislators in Europe.

Having driven for seventeen years in Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia and other countries without an accident, I for one don't want to see more legislation.

Perhaps we should insist that tourists are not allowed self drive when hire of car and driver is so cheap.

Agree wholeheartedly, I have driven for over 30 years in the Uk and 10+ years here in Thailand and I know where I prefer to drive and it's not the UK! Driving here is still fun.

• Like 2

This article is convoluted. Is it talking about educating Brits on how to drive? Why not bring Thailand up to global standards. The Wai may be heralded and seen in public but put a Thai behind the wheel of any vehicle and look at the Jekyll and Hyde scenario happen. The statistics are staggering by why not report the numbers for 2012 or in fact, shows meaningful stats like how many involved tourists?

The main issue is Thai driver manners and arrogance IMO. With no way to address this nor the ability to administer severe and enforceable punishments a solution is impossible.

They are deficient on the roads in so many areas that they need a panel to get together and start to piece together a workable for the longer term. Unfortunately the buffoons only seem to have hair-brained schemes to paper over the cracks and ensure the status quo of bribery in lieu of punishment is maintained. If we had efficient enforcement then these suggestions (among others) would help;

• They need a proper training and education system for drivers with minimum amount of practice time in control of a motor vehicle
  • The driving tests need to be improved especially the practical element with the introduction of one-on-one examinations and assessments
  • A points system needs to be brought into effect ensuring unsafe drivers are taken off the roads and there is more driver responsibility
  • A plate system needs to be brought into effect. L plates for learners and P plates for new drivers. They need to display them at all times for a set period of time.
  • Advertising revenues for safer driving and antisocial road behaviour need to be increased.
  • Pedestrians must be considered at all times. Failures to stop at road-crossings or for pedestrians should be punished severely.
  • Budgets increased for road infrastructure and better public transport options.

There's a few to get us going, not really difficult to make a difference if they really wanted to.

Thailand is a "developing country". Is there any agenda for anything ?? (apart for corruption). The penalty for being drunk at the wheel is non-existent, so if that is a bench-mark, what realistically can ever be achieved ?? Life has little value compared to the Western World, sad, but true.

• Like 1

The main issue is Thai driver manners and arrogance IMO. With no way to address this nor the ability to administer severe and enforceable punishments a solution is impossible.

They are deficient on the roads in so many areas that they need a panel to get together and start to piece together a workable for the longer term. Unfortunately the buffoons only seem to have hair-brained schemes to paper over the cracks and ensure the status quo of bribery in lieu of punishment is maintained. If we had efficient enforcement then these suggestions (among others) would help;

There's a few to get us going, not really difficult to make a difference if they really wanted to.

yak yak yak your dreaming, wasting your interlect and time. try and think posative where change can be accomplished.

I am sure this will generate many responses, but lets not get carried away with bringing Thailand up to "western' standards.

I am very happy with the no points system here for infringements, travelling up country I can save several hours by travelling around 160KPH and well worth paying the police a hundred or so baht three or four times each trip. God forbid they ever allow police to impound vehicles.

A lot of ex pats came to Thailand to get away from over zealous legislators in Europe.

Having driven for seventeen years in Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia and other countries without an accident, I for one don't want to see more legislation.

Perhaps we should insist that tourists are not allowed self drive when hire of car and driver is so cheap.

Agree wholeheartedly, I have driven for over 30 years in the Uk and 10+ years here in Thailand and I know where I prefer to drive and it's not the UK! Driving here is still fun.

perhaps you are sane , no drugs in your body , no alcohol. no dont give a ,,,uck maybe you dont think you are the most important thing in the world, you are not Thai your view has no merit.

• Yes but it won't happen any ttme soon. Anyway it's not needed see below.
  • A wonderful source of bribes for the examiners. Could be almost as attractive asa police job.
  • There is already a points system which mirrors the British one.
  • They won't bother to use them and if caught a few Baht will solve the problem.
  • There is already such a system. If I remember correctly after the vehicle is 7 or 8 years old. Any problems found can be eradicated with Baht.
  • They absence of such technology does not inhibit there primary role which is to collect money.
  • More money to disappear into someone's pocket.
  • The ban will be ignored and any subsequent problem will provide another source of income for the BIB.
  • Dream on. This happens with bikes in many places and as soon as money is paid the bike is released.
  • It should be but it won't be.
  • Goody goody more money for my pocket.
The problem is Thailand and until Thailand changes things will continue as they are.
Go back to where you came from then, I came here to get away from all that you have posted above
So your an anarchist then?

Agree that repressive police state mentality with CCTV everywhere is good to get away from. But, some laws to protect citizens do need to be in place. There are many countries with worse driving habits than Thailand - India and Russia spring to mind. The alternative seems to be draconian enforcement of traffic laws. Sad comment in human nature. Here, you can already use a car to kill innocent people, and still get off with a suspended sentence, as long as you have enough money and the right connections. Stopping that bullshit might be a start.

No I am not an anarchist, there are already some laws in place to protect citizens, the thing is a few laws could be too many for one person and not enough for another. I came here from a NO country, where I was not aloud to do this or that, or I couldn't go here or there. To be here and enjoy the freedoms that I have available to me, brings me some of my greatest joy, and I would hate to see that eroded due to a nanny state.

If you really want people to drive in a safer manner don't give them rules and regulations, don't give them more safety features, airbags and emergency computer control systems. Weld a two foot long metal spike to their steering wheel pointing straight at the drivers head,then you will see them drive understanding that they are in control of a lethal weapon.

Just treat anything else on the road as potential pain or death and drive acordingly.

Now where's me jetpack and bicycle?

Edited by Buckaroo

I think the problem for us Brits is we mostly drive the correct way, In Thailand anything goes and there's no deterant, Also a sense of fair play but in Thailand its any one for themselves. and if you are a falang you where in the wrong lane as soon as you get off the plane.o

just a few words thats all , ppl ere might find it interseting or had the same thing happen to them ...... lived and been sriving here in thailand for some 13 years now ......

2 days ago i was driving back from korat to saraburi minding my own busince sitting the middle lane driving doing about 85/95 klm ... when some thai <deleted> over took me and then side swipped pushing my car over the armoc barrier and flipped and rolled both his car and my are total right off's ..... yep you gused right as well he had no linice and no insurance ..... i,m 59 and have driven all over the world and never had a ccident .... driven H.G.V in the uk for years and road trains in oz ......

thai's will never learn how to drive ... because they think they are the best drivers in the world ..... waste of time tryingt to teach or help them ......