Phuket Crackdown On Russians Heads North

webfact

people you all sound like u've been paid by Russians smile.png really there's too many of them there, they are trying to survive doing anythibg that brings money ( remember the couple of Russians who were offering to tourists make photo with their monkey ) its rediculous!!! Soon you will see beggars and street bums from CIS countries !!! Really, i hope this will help to clear up the space a bit. Thailand is a nice place no need to fill it with rubbish people.

Did it ever occur to you the Russians with the monkey were "hired/employed" by a Thai so they would ALL make money????

Maybe the Thai guy with the monkey couldn't sell any photos because he couldn't speak any Russian, and the Russian tourist couldn't speak any English.

how much common language is required by someone with a monkey and a camera ?

• Like 1

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute folks. Thailand tourist association wanted these high quality tourists from Russia. Now that they have arrived and sought to establish Russian tour agencies and other businesses serving the greater russian tourists the Thai business association is up in arms over incursions by Russian business into their previously held manopoly?

This is pretty much a central issue to Thai's everywhere in Thailand. We want tourists as long as we control the tourism trade. Any non-Thai enterprise is not welcome regardless of the needs of Foreign tourists. As a foreigner you are simply not allowed to do business in thailands tourist business unless owned by a Thai.

There will no doubt be more flashing of nationalism by all parties but in the end, if you are not Thai, I would begin the long and painful process of packing up my business and moving to another location more user friendly. Read the small print: Thailand is for Thais. Tourists and all foreigners simply leave your money at the last gate before departure. We only want your money and recent studies show that the Russian Chinese and Indian tourists spen less than 3,000 baht per day, so no loss if they never return. Incidentally same attitude as before just a different group of tourists. Nothings changed.

Spot on! Places like Phuket had no Russians before the Tsunami and it did fine without them. Same as when the US navy stopped bringing its crews regularly to Phuket for R&R nothing changed. Patong has not stopped developing. Indeed I believe the Tsunami was the single most contributor to the increase in tourism to Phuket. The advertising they received free of charge from all the news coverage and documentaries cannot be bought.

This kind of makes me think about freelance situations...

If I were to work as a freelance web designer but 100% of my clients are overseas in North America and Europe, would I considered to be working illegally? I wouldn't reach out to the local thai community at all given all the risk. But overall does working for multiple companies in let say USA but living in thailand constitute as Illegally working here? I would love to know.

people you all sound like u've been paid by Russians smile.png really there's too many of them there, they are trying to survive doing anythibg that brings money ( remember the couple of Russians who were offering to tourists make photo with their monkey ) its rediculous!!! Soon you will see beggars and street bums from CIS countries !!! Really, i hope this will help to clear up the space a bit. Thailand is a nice place no need to fill it with rubbish people.

I agree , too many rubish people in Thailand ....you included ....

thank you laurent, but no i am not included, did nobody teach you not to assume you know everything ???? i am not in Thailand, i am looking at this mess from a side. Since it has become the place for downshifters from all over the place is a mess. If you want to serve the russian tourists you can always do it legally, you cant be a guide, but you can be a translator, coordinator, manager, whoever. Have a proper paperwork done and be free from all this crackdown crap.
  • Like 1

Did it ever occur to you the Russians with the monkey were "hired/employed" by a Thai so they would ALL make money????

Maybe the Thai guy with the monkey couldn't sell any photos because he couldn't speak any Russian, and the Russian tourist couldn't speak any English.

how much common language is required by someone with a monkey and a camera ?
dont bother asking, this is another case where the person doesnt know what he is talking about, the monkey belonged to another Russian who had left the country and left/sold this "business" to the couple, who later were arrested without proper documents to own the monkeys, or workpermits. Edited by LazyCat

Luckily we won't see this problem developing here in Chiang Mai. The smoke-filled, polluted air will kill everyone off, regardless of nationality, first.

dont matter the air to the Russians, CM has no sea :)) russians tend to like living by the sea :) so you guys are safe till you have the sea :))

According to Phuket Employment Office records, there are currently 1,005 foreigners of 17 nationalities registered to work in Thalang, including 109 English, 99 Russian, 80 French and 69 Italian nationals. Well what are the other nationals employed? Either I am stupid or they are just pulling at straws again!

And how are they stealing Thai's jobs..... Are there any Thais living and working on Phuket who speak fluent Russian????????????????????????????????????

They are targeting the Russians simply because they fear them most. When it comes to organised crime Russia is a serious player, the incumbent Thai Mafia (and official cronies who reap the benefits - Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada) are terrified that the Russians will take over the old rackets and put them out of . So yes, in effect, the Russians are stealing the jobs of local people, however the local people concerned just happen to be the thieving sea pikeys who make a living robbing and extorting tourists.

another Witches hunt ..... When Thais will speak Russian they will be able to complain , but Russians dont speak English so 2 choices , you forbid them to come to Thailand and you will see a lot of hotels and places closing down Or you accept the fact that there are people more qualify to take care about those tourists. How many Thais work illegally in foreign country ?

I'm not so sure about Russians "not speaking English"... Most Russians I've met speak far better English than 99,9% of the Thais I've met - including teachers who've been teaching English for 20 some odd years and can't speak a single proper phrase.

Get real guys. If you're from the UK, US or Oz then this is just the sort of action your countries would take if people were working illegally. Very few Uk citizens speak Russian or Chinese but it doesn't people from those countries visiting the UK.

The problem with the Russians is their mafia tendencies - just look at Pattaya now. If we want to stay and live in this country let's support initiatives like this designed to sweep away this criminal element. On to Pattaya next please

Frankly, Idon't understand the commotion. Theire are rules and law's who have to be followed, its simply as that. And the immigration laws are very easy to understand in Thailand. Also the rules to obtain an WP en bussinesslicense are also very easy to untderstand.

So if somebody break them, its normal that some action is taken.

I for myself, wil never visit places like Pukhet and Patttaya again, because IMHO they are renegate towns, with or without Russians, and there is litle difference between the tourists and those who work in the leisure industry in both towns.

PS; sorry for my misspelings, English is not my native language

For myself, I've lived in an Western European town, who was invaded by Russian bussinesmen(?) also there the law had to cleaned up those bussinenes, The Russians also took over many retail shops by force, especcially in the retail diamonds en jewelry shops. Most of them not legit and real scam experts in fake goods. And by that, I don't mean a fake designer purse.

I can testify by experience that Russians are certainly not the most friendly people on earth, and compared with them the Cosa Nostra is kindergarten stuff.

There are a number of clubs advertising openly on Pattaya TV they have only Russian, Slovenia etc girls working there............that would be a duck shoot for any immigration officer

The Russian mafia are powerful no one is touching those places. I have heard stories that when they want Thai residency they order it and its delivered within one week. Unheard off normally..

when I read your comments than I feel like in a bar with guys and everybody has already 1 bottle of whisky inside,

to explain for yo, I am german, lived 20 years in Czech republic, now since this ear in Chiang Mai, worling all over europe, so I saw a lot in my life and

all the time the same,

1. All tourist who come to thailand, wnt to get a great value for their money they spend, this means also the like to understand and communicate, and it is their

right becuse they spent money

2. Yes if you see many russians you will see many very rude russians, same you see germans, english dutch if they are in holiday in Gran Canaria or mallorca,

3. if you have many tourists of 1 nation at a place soon will be there restaurants, bars, touroffices, real estates, laywers and so on of this nation. because

there is a market.

4. the guys who think the problem will be solved if police get all russians, thinking like a kid, because then there will be the next nation who will be guilty

for problems in thailand, same in all countrys some groups a declared to be the problem

the problem is not illegal workers, the problem is that thailand is a country with a law what doesn´t work, because nobody care, court not work, everybody has

the feeling that 90% of all people are corrupt but nobody do anything until he is the target. here in thailand exist a daily discrimination of foreign people even it

is against the thai constitution, but who cares? beacause 99% of farangs living here are older and not fighting anymore against bad things in the world,

even bad things make their life worth.

Why does not everybody spent 10 US Dollar. 300 bath, 10 euro in a fond and we hire the best 10 laywers in thailand and go to court in thailand and international courts against all what thai goverment and law make bad for foreigners and breaking international law`? If the money would be invested on the right was, in PR and press even the goverment would finished because if they would have in press all the stores about corruption and breaking law they could hide it,

and let say 1000 000 farangs living in thailand x 10 US Dollar is 300.000.000 bath a year, enough to teach thailand goverment and state what means democracy and law.

And may be something would change to a better way in thailand. And farangs woud be respected like a part of this country, because organized the would have power. More public power th any other thai organization, 10 US Dollar can change your life in thailand :-)

• Like 1

There are a number of clubs advertising openly on Pattaya TV they have only Russian, Slovenia etc girls working there............that would be a duck shoot for any immigration officer

You will find out that most of those girls have a WP classed in the category as "entertainers" rolleyes.gif .

who like russians ?only russians like russians

When I can work out the difference between the men and women I will tell you.thumbsup.gif

You're kidding right? Give me a good looking Russian babe with a real nose and proper sized legs over the pug nosed bandy legged Issan bar dregs any day of the week. And as for working out the difference between men and women, its not Russia with the transgender/tomboy/lesbian epidemic!

• Like 1

The Russian mafia are powerful no one is touching those places. I have heard stories that when they want Thai residency they order it and its delivered within one week. Unheard off normally..

Another one of those, a man told me in a bar stories.

• Like 1

No one is saying Russians can't work, they just have to abide by the rules like the rest of us, the jobs listed on their WP will never be jobs that can be done by a Thai, and this is all policed at the application stage, I think they should target the Indian suit makers next, I'm sure they can't all be Thai nationals (I know some are). And yes Russians are needed as tour operators and real-estate negotiators, but only in a role as translator. The ones with the big bucks don't work illegally, they may employ people illegally though, but they shouldn't should they!

another Witches hunt ..... When Thais will speak Russian they will be able to complain , but Russians dont speak English so 2 choices , you forbid them to come to Thailand and you will see a lot of hotels and places closing down Or you accept the fact that there are people more qualify to take care about those tourists. How many Thais work illegally in foreign country ?

I don't think there a vast number of Thais (or any others) that are lining up to go to Russia........whistling.gif

You are wrong. Please, take time to visit a Russian embassy in BKK to see a line of Thai nationalities waiting for a working permit to go Russia. Rich Russians hire servants, not skilled professionals, and it is now a sort of cool to have a Thai maid. Does it include sex services, I do not know. In Germany, some Thai ladies are making money from it illegally. This is a reason why the German embassy is so hesitant to issue a visa to enter Germany to any young Thai lady.

who like russians ?only russians like russians

When I can work out the difference between the men and women I will tell you.thumbsup.gif

You're kidding right? Give me a good looking Russian babe with a real nose and proper sized legs over the pug nosed bandy legged Issan bar dregs any day of the week. And as for working out the difference between men and women, its not Russia with the transgender/tomboy/lesbian epidemic!

Why would you come to Thailand seeking a Russian woman when I hear (just a rumour) that Russia is full of them?wink.png