U.s. Fully Certified Teacher: Trouble Finding Work In Chiang Mai

Hi all,

I am currently teaching in the United States, but I'm looking to relocate to Chiang Mai, Thailand. My partner of 4 years is being stationed in Chiang Mai for his job with the U.S. government, so I'd prefer to teach in Chiang Mai-- though I can flex on my teaching location if I have to. I have a bachelors degree in Secondary Education from a Big 10 University in the United States. I am fully certified to teach secondary Social Studies and secondary English Language Arts. I have taught English Language Arts full-time at the 7th grade level for two years in the U.S. I also taught A.P. Psychology, Civics/Government, World History, and U.S. History during my teacher training hours and student teaching. Additionally, I am wrapping up my corps member commitment with the prestigious American non-profit organization Teach For America. I've had many ESL students in my classrooms in the past and I have volunteered as an ESL tutor with a local non-profit organization.

I have submitted my cover letter, CV/resume, and photo to every international school in Chiang Mai. The exceptions being a Christian school that wants volunteer teachers and a school looking for teachers that speak German. Even though most of these international schools don't start unti August, only one is hiring for positions I am qualified for. That being said, I doubt I will make their short list as they want someone with IB teacher certification.

Ideally I would like to teach at an international school in Chiang Mai, but as of right now that is not looking promising. Here are my questions for any folks out there with helpful advice.:

1.) I've started applying to several private Thai schools with English and/or bilingual programs. So far, because I can't be in Chiang Mai until the first week of June, I've had no bites. Several schools (Varee, Dara, etc.) didn't seem interested because of my start date. (At least, I assume that's the reason.) Any suggestions on other legitimate schools worth applying to?

2.) I am a traditionally certified teacher with a bachelors in education and over two years of full time experience teaching. I am certified in English Language Arts and Social Studies. However, I do NOT have an ESL credential (i.e. TEFL, CELTA, etc.) Should I be concerned about earning this certification? Also, are there any recommended fast/cheap online programs that are legitimate?

3.) I am nervous about just showing up in Thailand without a job. Several people have mentioned that just showing up and dropping off my CV in person is the way to go. Perhaps I need to be more flexible, but this makes me nervous. I'd like to secure employment before heading over. Any advice on this one?

4.) Any recommendations on colleges in the Chiang Mai area that might hire someone with my qualifications?

5.) Are there any reputable international schools in the Chiang Mai area that I should try applying to? The ISAT web site seems to have a comprehensive list, though it looks like I'd have better luck in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai. However, with going rates of 30,000-35,000 baht per month, I'd prefer not to have the added expense of weekend flights to Chiang Mai to visit my significant other.

Thanks for any input or helpful feedback!

-B.

I got my international school job in Chiang Mai largely by chance and good timing. I teach in the same areas and grade levels as you.... sorry but I am not going anywhere, so no chance of this job becoming available at my school! smile.png

Ajarn.com wont show many, if any, vacancies for Chiangmai international schools - most advertise via their web pages and get enough applications that way.

Some of the schools already know their vacancies and are actively looking to fill them, others are wildly disorganised and wont even know who is staying or going yet, so dont lose hope.

For the IB school, I am assuming it is PREM that you are talking about. They are by far the best paying school in Northern Thaland. I personally would have no chance there, because of a lack of experience, but if you have a few years under your belt there is no harm in putting in an application.

Keep an eye on Nakorn Payap International (NIS). A little birdy tells me they may have a few vacancies pop up. Also Varee, which is a Thai school, has an international program... I will reserve my comments about what I really think about the quality of it, but that would also be worth a look. There is also a startup international school in Chiang Rai (the name escapes me) they havent even had a graduating class yet, so they are really new, but that also means there might be some job opportunities.

Drop me a message if you want some more info, I will be happy to help.

Edited by DaBloodyMess

I had a similar experience. I have more that 20 years of teaching experience but when I tried fishing for work in Bangkok while I was in the US, I got nothing, not even the courtesy of a reply to my emails. When I arrived here, it was not hard at all to get offers.

I think they're not really interested in spending the time on you unless you're here and ready to start working.

Attrayant.

You've hit it right on the head, in essence if you apply through one of the international teaching placement agencies via their job fairs often you will be interviewed via Skype and the hiring process goes from there.Bear in mind though that the greater majority of the applicants are already in the international circle.

As someone who is and does become involved in recruitment I do receive applications from far flung corners of the world,However there is little evidence of any teaching history in Thailand and it's a case of thank you but no thank you to those applicants. If it's a case of I am arriving shortly well there is a chance an interview might be arranged,

Bethanieg.

When you arrive go out and knock on school doors, remember although that your experience in the U.S.A. is excellent it won't in many cases mean much here to a Thai admin dept,don't set your sights too high, sadly here its a case of luck, knowing the right person, all down to Sods Law.You have a wealth of rich experience so don't get disheartened about the issue, hiring for some Thai schools will begin in earnest in late April for the Thais school year.

International schools ?

Well there are many with the title in there school name, however when one digs into the school in a large number of cases the term ''International,'' is best described as '' a romantic notion.''

As an aside I suggest that you go to the ISAT site ( International Schools Association of Thailand ) where if you haven't been to the said site you may find it interesting and hopefully beneficial in your search for suitable employment

Good luck and please keep us informed as to your progress if you have the inclination and the time, your experiences could well benefit those to come via the same route as yourself..

• Like 1

As an aside I suggest that you go to the ISAT site ( International Schools Association of Thailand ) where if you haven't been to the said site you may find it interesting and hopefully beneficial in your search for suitable employment

Unfortunately their teaching positions page is under construction (I assume that's what "on progress" means). But the site is interesting. I had never heard of them before. I'll keep checking back to see if they start posting openings.

Thanks, everyone. I went through the ISAT list a while back and sent a cover letter, CV, photo, and references to all of the Chiang Mai international schools listed. (The site is down now, but the same list of schools can be found on ISAT's wikipedia page.) Unfortunately, most of them just aren't hiring for the positions I am qualified for at this time. All but one of the international schools did at least respond to my e-mails, but they only offered to hold on to my information should a need arrise.

I did just get a job offer from Montfort College teaching middle school social studies in their English program. If anyone can offer me insight on this school, please private message me. I'm interested in knowing more about the school from your perspectives. Additionally, I'm a bit skeptical and trying to verify that I'm actually being offered a legitimate job-- never know when employment via the internet is a scam. Please private message me if you can offer any insight.

Thanks!

If you want the 'true blue' places, you need to go ISAT or have a local connection and be willing to accept a less rewarding contract by going outside that system. If they're not hiring, they're not hiring.

Chiang Mai- for whatever reasons it is popular- IS popular, and you will find that the supply-demand curve has the usual economic consequences, especially as many well-educated semi-retired folks are up there.

If you were more flexible about the place, you'd have more options.

'30,000-35,000' is NOT the going rate at real international schools for truly qualified, licensed, home country, etc., teachers.