Security Truck Driver Denies B500K Phuket Cash Heist

Lite Beer

Security truck driver denies B500k Phuket cash heist

Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-36914-0-47693100-1364453448_thumb.j

Sampan Inaksorn (blue shirt) is brought into Chalong Police Station after his arrest yesterday.

PHUKET: A security truck driver, arrested on a charge of stealing B500,000 from KasikornBank while delivering cash to ATMs five weeks ago, has denied carrying out the theft.

Sampan Inaksorn, 34, who is a driver for the security company and Kasikorn affiliate Progress Multi Insurance Broker, was arrested at the bank’s Dilok Rd branch in Phuket City yesterday (March 27) as he waited for a consignment of cash to be loaded into his armoured truck.

On February 16, Sampan and two bank staff collected B3 million from the Dilok Rd branch to refill ATMs at 10 points around Phuket.

When they reached the last ATM, at the PTT gas station on Chao Fa West Rd in Chalong, the bank staff found that B500,000 has disappeared. They reported the disappearance to Chalong Police Station.

Policemen had already investigated the two bank staff who were with Sampan on the day of the theft and have concluded that the two were not culpable.

But Sampan told police after his arrest yesterday, “I have worked for the bank for more than six years. That day, I and two bank staff collected B3 million from KasikornBank. I have no idea what happened to the money.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/security-truck-driver-denies-b500k-phuket-cash-heist-38229.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-03-28

It looks like the BIB are taking a guess on this one? If he keeps his nerve he might just get away with it as the police rely totally on "re-enactment of the crime" as the only evidence against the defendant!IMHO

It could have been someone in the counting room short change the ATM cartridge.

That wouldn't be the case , I used to work in a bank and you fill the cartridges yourself and then the ATM counts them

One thing I notice with thailand is the ATMs are not really that secure , what is stopping someone with inside access from going to the machine and just opening it up ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

It could have been someone in the counting room short change the ATM cartridge.

That wouldn't be the case , I used to work in a bank and you fill the cartridges yourself and then the ATM counts them

One thing I notice with thailand is the ATMs are not really that secure , what is stopping someone with inside access from going to the machine and just opening it up ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Are you telling me the amored truck drivers also count the money and put it into the ATM cartridge and then also load that cartridge into the ATM - wow, that's great Thai multi-skilling. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan