Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

I think the real reason for this destruction is so someone at City Hall can create a flat space to rent out all those vendor tents.

They tried to set the tents up on top of the undulating landscaping, killed all the plants and didn't really work out.

Then later set the vendor tents up on the road, creating real traffic chaos.(since they already rent the left lane to vendors)

I will predict the new flattened beachfront will be turned into a trashy market.

An under appreciated asset of this town of few redeeming features is about to be degraded even further.

Sad for the people who would sit under the trees. And sad for me, who really appreciated this natural asset. Sure it was not pristine and it was seriously degraded but the problems were not irreversible, and it was the one thing that made this town pretty when driving along beach road.

• Like 1

An under appreciated asset of this town of few redeeming features is about to be degraded even further.

Sad for the people who would sit under the trees. And sad for me, who really appreciated this natural asset. Sure it was not pristine and it was seriously degraded but the problems were not irreversible, and it was the one thing that made this town pretty when driving along beach road.

Indeed. If there are two things that Pattaya (and Thailand and SEAsia in general) knows very little about they are intelligent planning and ensuring a tasteful environment.

So let me get this straight. They are going to make the beach as narrow as it was 10 years ago? I remember vaguely that ir was difficult and unpleasant to walk through at that time.

Will it keep the ladies of the night out? I doubt it. As long as there is a place to stand and walk .

If they are adding just one "lane" to the road, it seems to me there will be areas to walk and possibly sit. The pavement is quite wide in most places.

So if it to be a 5km stretch of stalls, does anyone think it will be successful?

I predict we get a lot of empties during the low season and then....?

today i just had to let loose on some one..i found a guy ,he looked like a planner.and i let him have it...i felt a bit better.....did anyone consult me did anyone consult any of the buisness , no ,i was thinkng bout listing my condo as i live on soi 1 just off beach road...i have had enouhg of this destruction all to make way for the tour buses....and the tour groups,then i found out the wideing will only go from the curve from pattaya nrth rd to the end of soi1...some how they feel this will reduce traffic.....we will see.but this much we know...beauty here is second to $$$$....old growth coconut trees are nothing here,if it gets in the way of toursim.....some how i doubt it will stop at soi1 far to many machines,....

i found out the wideing will only go from the curve from pattaya nrth rd to the end of soi1

Are you sure about this ?

If you walk the length of Beach Road, its quite easy to tell whats going to be removed, by the markings on the trees and pavement.

i found out the wideing will only go from the curve from pattaya nrth rd to the end of soi1

If you walk the length of Beach Road, its quite easy to tell whats going to be removed, by the markings on the trees and pavement.

no...i was told this by a local....we have all see stupid rediculous projects,but the beach is the soul of pattaya,this changes everything.....

i have just recently bought in pattaya(3 mnths ago) i now own on soi 1 and beach road,this affects me,is there no transparancy to this city councel,do projects just get passed by councel,this was a huge change that will affect many many peoples liives,and they just send in the eqiupment and start ripping up trees,this attitude of ''mai pen rai''is just not cutting it anymore...as i spoke with abeach front vendor whose life will be affected all he could say is ''dont worry to much''.WORRY.im way passed that.i am just furious ,the tour bus industry will win,and all these korean and indians that need to get to the parasail on time,and back to thier hotel for the buffett,end up destroying the only beauty we had left here,the canopy of those trees,and the beach front will change forever,a 3 lane freeway..f@*&

The Beach Road widening project was announced by City Hall in Feb/March 2012, so why all the surprised posts? Sorry for the poster who bought a condo in Soi 1, unfortunately many people overlook the due diligence project plans by Council search that they would do in their home country

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

no...i was told this by a local....we have all see stupid rediculous projects,but the beach is the soul of pattaya,this changes everything.....

But they have already gone past Soi 1.

i am hoping that we will see an improvment ,mabey they have plans for lane closures,part of the day,and if the regroom the beach( as i am told they will) with some mature trees it may be tolerable,if this is done well and desinged with some good landscaping,the beach may look fine,one thing for sure is,and im sure this was a big part of this plan,the homsteads on the locking brick work will have no place to camp,and the festival vendors wil have an easier and better place to setup....i have my fingers crossed on this one....

They have started widening the road also up in Soi Watboon , near sukhumvit rd. Not sure how far they will go . We have a lot of traffic here so hopefully it will be wider all the way down to beach rd.

Edited by balo

But they have already gone past Soi 1.

update ...2 km's,......

Why don't they simply prohibit parking in the left lane like they did last week during the music festival and create some dedicated parking areas for the buses to pick up tour groups ?

Cause that is too easy, better to tear apart the road for a few years.

They could always have police, police the street so not only parking, but double and triple parking does not occur, but again, thats too easy

They have started widening the road also up in Soi Watboon , near sukhumvit rd. Not sure how far they will go . We have a lot of traffic here so hopefully it will be wider all the way down to beach rd.

dont think they are widening the road they have been installing new water main and new waste water something to do with the new condos springing up along here be glad when its finished our water is of and on most days

Let me get this right...

They are tearing up the newish sidewalk brick paved area (and trees) to add a car lane that will all bottleneck at the turn at walking street, yet they currently allow one full lane to be consumed with vendors and bikes?

Who comes up with these ideas? Just when you think they can not out-dumb themselves, they blow past all past records.

Let me get this right...

They are tearing up the newish sidewalk brick paved area (and trees) to add a car lane that will all bottleneck at the turn at walking street, yet they currently allow one full lane to be consumed with vendors and bikes?

Who comes up with these ideas? Just when you think they can not out-dumb themselves, they blow past all past records.

What a mess! This pattern of "insanity" started way back in 2003 or so when they chopped down most of the old-growth umbrella trees to plant those stupid palm trees. The city is being planned for cars and not people, but, oddly, the people doing the planning do not understand the concept of parking lots, which would help solve at least some of the traffic problem. They also refuse to enforce traffic laws, which could tackle the illegal parking problem. This is a no-win situation..........climate change, along with overdevelopment and idiotic behavior (cutting down the old-growth trees that actually acted to hold the sand in place) is causing massive beach erosion. If they are not careful, the new construction will cause more, not less erosion. Parts of the beach near Walking Street are already gone. Next, they will do the same in Jomtien where large sections of the beach are gone. I have no idea how they will deal with the narrowing of the road past Soi 16, going south towards the new condo developments. This is not going to work! I think we need "one way traffic lanes," "enforcement of traffic rules," "parking lots," and "people movers" (e.g. electronic buses).

• Like 1