Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Let me get this right...

They are tearing up the newish sidewalk brick paved area (and trees) to add a car lane that will all bottleneck at the turn at walking street, yet they currently allow one full lane to be consumed with vendors and bikes?

Who comes up with these ideas? Just when you think they can not out-dumb themselves, they blow past all past records.

You're dead right - they only finished the upgrade a year or so back and it was OK as far as I was concerned - space to walk and, for people that didn't want to sit on the beach, to picnic etc.. Its hard not to take the cycnical view and surmise that the authorities are executing yet another project in order to skim off their 30 - 40 - 50%.

For me, Pattaya has a lot going for it, but the prime reason I re-located here was to enjoy the beach. I go there 3 - 4 times a week for several hours at a time. Widening the road is not going to help anyone, it will certainly make it harder to cross a la 2nd. And as for the disgraceful pedestrian crossings they put in (with the adjacent photo's of you know who), dare I say another project for profit scheme. ?

Ah well, there are plenty more beachside retirement destinations in SE Asia and further afield. Sometimes a change is as good as rest.

(I am glad I didn't buy a property here though - I can be out in a month and spend some time in Bali, Vietnam maybe, West Java, Malaysia etc..).

• Like 1

<deleted>!!

"During even days walking on Pattaya's upcoming Beach Promenade will

be permited from North to South, during odd days from South to North

only. Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome's famous Thappraya 2310 Security Group will control the observance of the new regulation, 24/7.

Too true - it really beggars belief that people can come-up with these schemes.

I'm still disappointed that PM IK isn't being investigated re harbouring a fugitive / not helping the police with their enquiries (but I guess I know the answer to that question already).

If they had some consultant Landscape architects or designers or qualified horticulturalists with some voice that would be listened to , then a lot of the palms could have been dug up , and with sufficient root ball can be replanted after construction. Palms are often used for short term "greening " and then transplanted .

Perhaps the "better class " of tourists that Thai government is trying to encourage are oblivious to the natural or the built landscape and so it would be a waste of funds that could be better directed to concrete for stalls selling fake goods.

Thanks for posting this. The project looks quite interesting and if (I admit it's a big "if") the final results are anything like the drawings it will be an improvement.

Nobody likes change, especially badly thought-out change, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment. Pattaya is changing, like it or not, and if the changes increase the revenue from tourist groups, so much better for the city.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this. The project looks quite interesting and if (I admit it's a big "if") the final results are anything like the drawings it will be an improvement.

Nobody likes change, especially badly thought-out change, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment. Pattaya is changing, like it or not, and if the changes increase the revenue from tourist groups, so much better for the city.

Pattaya is primarily a beach resort.

I've watched some of these tour groups over the last few months: a bus will dop them off on Beach Rd and they then traipse, en masse, across the beach to a waiting a boat that ferries them off-shore for a para-glide, island trip etc..

Few hours later they return, and the trek is reversed. The only time they pause is to pick-up the pre-packaged photos from a display on the promenade. They then get back on the bus.

I've yet to see even one member of one of these groups spend more than 30 secs on the beach.

I'm sorry, but I'd hate to see what we currently have at present down on Beach Rd, sacrificed to make it easier for these 'tourists' to come and go.

As for giving 'them' the benefit of the day; well I'm sorry, but after seeing City Hall and their range of acolytes, spin-off 'businesses', news organisations, tourist police etc in action over the last few years, I'm certainly not. My opinion is that the whole f**king lot of them are a disgrace to Thailand and I live in Pattaya in spite of them, not because of anything they offer to visitors and expats.

• Like 1

They have started widening the road also up in Soi Watboon , near sukhumvit rd. Not sure how far they will go . We have a lot of traffic here so hopefully it will be wider all the way down to beach rd.

dont think they are widening the road they have been installing new water main and new waste water something to do with the new condos springing up along here be glad when its finished our water is of and on most days

the widening is first ,then the pave it,then they rip it up and do the water system,then repave it.again....the thai way of a new highway....

No, it will clearly be a major degradation.

You've missed the whole point of why these large and useless, even harmful, works contracts are awarded. As others pointed out, the traffic problem could be greatly improved by as much or more without any digging or widening at all.

Somebody's concerned about revenues, yeah.

Let me get this right...

They are tearing up the newish sidewalk brick paved area (and trees) to add a car lane that will all bottleneck at the turn at walking street, yet they currently allow one full lane to be consumed with vendors and bikes?

Who comes up with these ideas? Just when you think they can not out-dumb themselves, they blow past all past records.

What a mess! This pattern of "insanity" started way back in 2003 or so when they chopped down most of the old-growth umbrella trees to plant those stupid palm trees. The city is being planned for cars and not people, but, oddly, the people doing the planning do not understand the concept of parking lots, which would help solve at least some of the traffic problem. They also refuse to enforce traffic laws, which could tackle the illegal parking problem. This is a no-win situation..........climate change, along with overdevelopment and idiotic behavior (cutting down the old-growth trees that actually acted to hold the sand in place) is causing massive beach erosion. If they are not careful, the new construction will cause more, not less erosion. Parts of the beach near Walking Street are already gone. Next, they will do the same in Jomtien where large sections of the beach are gone. I have no idea how they will deal with the narrowing of the road past Soi 16, going south towards the new condo developments. This is not going to work! I think we need "one way traffic lanes," "enforcement of traffic rules," "parking lots," and "people movers" (e.g. electronic buses).

I like the idea of electronic buses. Maybe driverless trams following set routes, payment by swipe card all the traffic clogging baht buses removed, a proper metered taxi service for longer journeys................sorry I was dreaming!

if you read this carefully,the mayor has in his infintie wisdom,devised a law...since the new walk way is so narrow,he plans to enforce walking laws ,really.....odd days we walk nrth to south,even days we walk ( or as he puts it''promanade''...) south to north..oh ya i like this idea...

if you read this carefully,the mayor has in his infintie wisdom,devised a law...since the new walk way is so narrow,he plans to enforce walking laws ,really.....odd days we walk nrth to south,even days we walk ( or as he puts it''promanade''...) south to north..oh ya i like this idea...

Quite brilliant, then he builds a hotel at each end where everyone can spend the night before walking back the following day!

Let me get this right...

You're dead right - they only finished the upgrade a year or so back and it was OK as far as I was concerned - space to walk and, for people that didn't want to sit on the beach, to picnic etc.. Its hard not to take the cycnical view and surmise that the authorities are executing yet another project in order to skim off their 30 - 40 - 50%.

For me, Pattaya has a lot going for it, but the prime reason I re-located here was to enjoy the beach. I go there 3 - 4 times a week for several hours at a time. Widening the road is not going to help anyone, it will certainly make it harder to cross a la 2nd. And as for the disgraceful pedestrian crossings they put in (with the adjacent photo's of you know who), dare I say another project for profit scheme. ?

Ah well, there are plenty more beachside retirement destinations in SE Asia and further afield. Sometimes a change is as good as rest.

(I am glad I didn't buy a property here though - I can be out in a month and spend some time in Bali, Vietnam maybe, West Java, Malaysia etc..).

ouch...i bought my condo 3 mnths ago,beach rd and soi 1....hahah right next tto the beach/freeway....god..the good news is i see apattern here...in 2016 they will rip it up and try something else....

Why don't they simply prohibit parking in the left lane like they did last week during the music festival and create some dedicated parking areas for the buses to pick up tour groups ?

Cause that is too easy, better to tear apart the road for a few years.

They could always have police, police the street so not only parking, but double and triple parking does not occur, but again, thats too easy

they tried this a few years ago and all the scooter rental gangsters went to city hall,and rallied....a few days latter the parking ban was lifted...

Let me get this right...

ouch...i bought my condo 3 mnths ago,beach rd and soi 1....hahah right next tto the beach/freeway....god..the good news is i see apattern here...in 2016 they will rip it up and try something else....

Good - look on the bright side - I like your optimism.

My comment wasn't really aimed at you, but there have been a number of threads in this forum on the arguments for buying vs renting in Pattaya and Thailand in general. Both sets of protagonists have made good arguments, but personally I lean to the renting side of things, at least for the time being.

I've found the recent high-season to be the worst few few months I've known in Pattaya and if things on the beach deteriorate further, then I might look further afield. I've enjoyed my time living here but for me, the downsides are starting to outweight the great nightlife, sea, beach, places to eat, proximity to BKK / SVP etc..

On the light side, I just asked a Thai girl why the traffic jam is so bad (pointing at the traffic jam along Beach Road that is being caused by the construction) and she said "...they are trying to make it like Bangkok." :) And they are succeeding! Congratulations! This place really is a lesson on how to screw things up.

upon much thinking about this,i have calmed down (a bit),this is about politics more than anything else, a little man with a big promise to rid pattaya of an image and we all know waht that image is...is actually a very diabolical plan,widening the road has now accomplished several things,traffic issues,ladies,campers,scooter traffic on the sidewalk,and the revenue will just keep pouring in..as the coaches pile up,now they can just park and idle all day long....yes i have calmed down and i was a fool to think that a town hall meeting would have been nice this is thailand....and the moto here is '''the thai way,or the the hyway''...the end....

What it could turn into and I hope it doesnt. Just my wildest guess.

Yes more lanes added for more traffic and many times more people and business. Then the harness of this traffic. Across Thailand are ACCESS FEES to parks including beaches. All it takes with this new construction is to put up a wall (between the street and new beach walkway) and have controlled access to collect fees to the beach.

So the problem of jet ski scams may go away as the new business model is to make EVERYBODY PAY to access the beach. Currently a falang with a Thai driver license pays the same rate as Thais and the tourist pay much more to enter parks etc.

Just my wildest guess.

They just don't get traffic, traffic control & movements & parking requirements.

Widen Beach Road so it then stacks up at the WS corner & 2nd Road lights.

i thought the word was that all the bars between Beach Road & 2nd Road were being replaced with family friendly entertainment areas.

How will the traffic cope with all these extra people, at least bar mongers walk or Songtheaw it everywhere.

i don't have an answer, that's coz I am not as smart as Pattaya City Officers....

More reasons to look elsewhere for a more relaxed environment to live

..pictured here during a 7 hour debate regarding how to divide this months banana money

attachicon.gifGood Idea Bozo.jpg

Love it, Looks so realistic violin.gif

i have just recently bought in pattaya(3 mnths ago) i now own on soi 1 and beach road,this affects me,is there no transparancy to this city councel,do projects just get passed by councel,this was a huge change that will affect many many peoples liives,and they just send in the eqiupment and start ripping up trees,this attitude of ''mai pen rai''is just not cutting it anymore...as i spoke with abeach front vendor whose life will be affected all he could say is ''dont worry to much''.WORRY.im way passed that.i am just furious ,the tour bus industry will win,and all these korean and indians that need to get to the parasail on time,and back to thier hotel for the buffett,end up destroying the only beauty we had left here,the canopy of those trees,and the beach front will change forever,a 3 lane freeway..f@*&

Welcome to Thailand...maybe you can sell your condo to one of those Koreans or Indians?

i have just recently bought in pattaya(3 mnths ago) i now own on soi 1 and beach road,this affects me,is there no transparancy to this city councel,do projects just get passed by councel,this was a huge change that will affect many many peoples liives,and they just send in the eqiupment and start ripping up trees,this attitude of ''mai pen rai''is just not cutting it anymore...as i spoke with abeach front vendor whose life will be affected all he could say is ''dont worry to much''.WORRY.im way passed that.i am just furious ,the tour bus industry will win,and all these korean and indians that need to get to the parasail on time,and back to thier hotel for the buffett,end up destroying the only beauty we had left here,the canopy of those trees,and the beach front will change forever,a 3 lane freeway..f@*&

Welcome to Thailand...maybe you can sell your condo to one of those Koreans or Indians?

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

This is the dumbest idea since the Mayors father sold a site in a forest reserve to be used as a garbage dump.

(sentenced to 5 years in jail but jumped bail)

Edited by DiNiro

Let me get this right...

Have fun in west Java!

Good - look on the bright side - I like your optimism.

My comment wasn't really aimed at you, but there have been a number of threads in this forum on the arguments for buying vs renting in Pattaya and Thailand in general. Both sets of protagonists have made good arguments, but personally I lean to the renting side of things, at least for the time being.

I've found the recent high-season to be the worst few few months I've known in Pattaya and if things on the beach deteriorate further, then I might look further afield. I've enjoyed my time living here but for me, the downsides are starting to outweight the great nightlife, sea, beach, places to eat, proximity to BKK / SVP etc..

There are so many more important and urgent improvement that Pattaya needs, not reconstruction of beach road.

The biggest issue are the sewers. The sewers need to be cleaned and enlarged to prevent flooding of streets. Every rainy season, or even a heavy rainfall, we have to wade through sewage in the streets and close businesses.

Next, is making decent sidewalks.