BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Immigration Warns Of Drive On Foreign Stay Reports

so if my mum visit me and stay at my house I have to contact the immigration for that ? For hotel its normal I guess that is why we fill up this form on arrival .... Reminds me when you travel to Moscow , they keep your passport one hour for registration ...

If you own the house apparently.

Which of course, you don't. Even if you like to think that you do!

Glad my gf doesn't live in Phuket! This would be an incredible hassle every time I go up to spend time with her for a few days. Typically don't stay in a single place either. Sometimes at her parents house, some time in her room at her shop, some time at her grandparents house, some times at her friends' house... some times even on the farm! Would have to register all of these places? Insane...

Of course this is the law throughout Thailand and not just Phuket.

The Phuket Immigration are simply taking the time to inform hotel staff of the existing law.

So if you rent a house and relatives come to stay with you what is the requirement there?

Why is this topic causing so much confusion. If you rent the house you ARE NOT the owner, so it's not your responsibility to tell immigration of the foreigner staying there.. it's the responsibility of the OWNER.

Even if you rent, lease or have an usufruct you are still not the legal owner.

Glad my gf doesn't live in Phuket! This would be an incredible hassle every time I go up to spend time with her for a few days. Typically don't stay in a single place either. Sometimes at her parents house, some time in her room at her shop, some time at her grandparents house, some times at her friends' house... some times even on the farm! Would have to register all of these places? Insane...

The law applies to all Thailand.

It's not you that have to report it's your gf, parents and grandparents that has to report.

If far away from Immigrations office the report can me made at local police station within 24 hours of you arriving.

So if you rent a house and relatives come to stay with you what is the requirement there?

Why is this topic causing so much confusion. If you rent the house you ARE NOT the owner, so it's not your responsibility to tell immigration of the foreigner staying there.. it's the responsibility of the OWNER.

No, as head of the household it's your responsibility.

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

In person at the respective office, or

Through an authorised person at the respective office, or

By registered mail, or

Via internet.

• Like 1

I would guess that at present a very small percentage of small hotels/guesthouses do report their guests to immigration. They could be in for a shock if even half of these start to comply with the law.

A short time ago Bangkok immigration said the same and also stated that the need for compliance would go nationwide so it's no surprise.

Anyone here do it? Online or with paper? How much hassle is it?

• Like 1

It sounds like any foreigner staying anywhere has to be reported. As one person said, perhaps your relatives putting it on their entry form ought to cover it, or give them a heads up as to an 8k/day packet of "tea money" coming a cop's friend's way.

As is almost always the case in Thailand there are dozens of grey areas left to the individuals interpritation hence the question.. For example even if you buy the place you are NOT the owner as you would be in your home country.

Okay lets take this one step further...

If you are living in Thailand, does this concern to Everyone?

You have retirement Visa...

You report every 90 Days at Immigration...

You are living in your Family Home...

Does your wife have to report you are living here? Would you not normally living in same house as your Spouse? This is already reported every 90 days on form submitted each time at Immigration...

Our is this another way to have some Official pocket 8,000 Baht?

• Like 1

*scratches head*

so... if someone owns a house through the company route... does he, as the company director, have to report himself to immigration?

BS, MORE BS, ALWAYS BS... They never get bored ?

I dread the additional chaos this will cause at Jomtien immigration if it starts to be enforced in the Pattaya area.

• Like 1

Actually that fine is ฿5,000 according to the stamp on my 90 day report.

2000-5000 baht, usually 2000 baht.

*scratches head*

so... if someone owns a house through the company route... does he, as the company director, have to report himself to immigration?

"House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

As head of household, yes.