BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Immigration Warns Of Drive On Foreign Stay Reports

A few years ago whilst staying in a CNX gh , a huge 'skinhead' type Serbian did a runner owing a months rent. He had used a photocopy of his passport.

The landlady reported it. Two days later Immigration and 'others' turned up and checked her records. They said the guy was on thier wanted list and made her promise to submit a detailed guest list everyday. Which she faithfully honoured.

A guy would come round each morning, collect yesterdays form and leave a new form to be filled in.

Months later after returning from Laos, in the same gh, reception where called by the consulate asking to speak to me (family emergency-go home asap). The consulate had found me via the guest reporting system and so I was able to say goodbye to my farther.

This system is priceless for safety and emergencies. It should be strictly enforced.

Of course, there is also the "mobile phone system" to use in cases of emergency as well. smile.png

Was going to say the same thing......everyone has a mobile phone. There reasons are rubbish. When you enter Australia you write your usual place of residence (where you will primarily be). Nothing more is needed.

It's a whole lot of xenophobic rubbish, tbh.

It's hard to imagine that if every hotel, resort, guesthouse, apartment, private home and homestay (of even one room) in Thailand must report all foreigners staying each day within 24 hours, that every Immigration Office in the country won't be overwhelmed immediately.

We have a 4-room guesthouse on a little island where there is not an Immigration Office within a one-hour speedboat ride. Must every facility on this island with foreigners put a paper report on the 8am speedboat to the mainland each morning? That alone would overwhelm the Laem Ngop Office, and we are just one tiny island among many in Trat. And the Internet on this little island is hit-and-miss, at best, so I don't think online reporting is really plausible.

This seems unworkable; so perhaps others are right; that it is just another "tea money" law passed so police can harass lodging establishments for payoffs. And for hotels that allow "extra guests" in a patron's room, does this mean the "extra" guest can only be Thai? Must their Thai ID be recorded to prove they were not foreign "extra" guests?

This is why it's all done on the internet and it takes only a minute or two for each guest.

What is all about those immigration rules in 2015? Tourist would go to Cambo, get a 1 year visa and can they living all over any places?

Am I only one who remember the fine is 2,000b and not per day? Just one payment, no matter how long foreigner has stayed. Thought I read that in this forum long ago.

Phuket Gazete has the same story now:

"If they do not start filing the daily reports to us, they will be fined up to 2,000 baht."

So who do you believe? ThePhuketGazette or ThePhuketNews?

I know who I believe.

This is a Incredible announcement . Completely unenforcable , and what an absolute unnecessary Drama for a private individual putting up a family member or Friend , and Visa dependent an Individual " Touring " Visiting , Moving Around etc etc .....

Just imagine the " Interest " at the local Police Establishment , when you are attending to Report that you friend from Another Area was " Visiting " ..No way it can be policed ..Yet a potential nice little Cash pick up for those involved if you didn't make it down ..While , your " Informed " Neighbour was right onto it .

Fair enough for Resorts and Guest Houses etc .

This is an absolute Shocker ...and will do very little good , but produce an incredible amount of Administration .

So, when i stay at a party until 5 a clock in the morning and decide to not drive home and sleep at the girls place overnight, she has to report me to the immigration first? And where at 5 a clock in the morning?

BTW, not everyone is familiar with all this online procedures. I guess they have to plant a whole forest of trees to cover the upcoming paperwork

Edited by stingray

so if my mum visit me and stay at my house I have to contact the immigration for that ? For hotel its normal I guess that is why we fill up this form on arrival .... Reminds me when you travel to Moscow , they keep your passport one hour for registration ...

Reminds me of that too. I believe this comes under the heading of 'Police State'. My ten trips to Russia were marked with police intrusion on an almost daily basis. It seemed they had unlimited resources for this.

• Like 1

I am on a multi entry o visa ,I apply for this at Hull ,in England ,I put my Thai Girlfriends addresss on the form ,I also put my Thai Girlfriends address on the arrival form ,you fill in on the plane ,We live in Sattahip, Should my girlfriend register me at police/immigration ....????confused.

so if my name is in the yellow book, does my wife still have to make a report to immigration??

Can i still pick up a pretty girl in RCA and stay in her High floor Condo, lets say for 3 days/nights?smile.png

Must she report me then? cheesy.gif

Report you for what? Extreme Fantasization?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

I have deleted off-topic posts about overstay fines, the USA, Russia, "90 day reporting", etc and the replies to them.

Be realistic. Immigration are not going to raid private homes. Where's the money in that? And the tenant is doing nothing wrong anyway so it's not a problem for the majority on here.

For owners of small hotels it's a different matter. Even a 10 room guesthouse, fully occupied, 20 persons, that's a 40,000 baht fine (four times that if you prefer to believe the Phuket News). And maybe back payment for previously unreported guests and that is an amount worth a visit from the Immigration Office.

It'll probably be the usual 2 week crackdown and everything back to normal thereafter anyway.

• Like 1

Be realistic. Immigration are not going to raid private homes. Where's the money in that? And the tenant is doing nothing wrong anyway so it's not a problem for the majority on here...

It is my understanding that if you are renting a house or an apartment it is you, the "house master" and "possessor of the residence", not the owner, who must report the arrival of the foreigner.

Source: Section 38 of Immigration Act