Us Masters

phutoie2

What appears to be difficult to grasp (for some) is that there is a difference in what we COULD NOT have been aware of, and what is blatantly obvious. Rule 33-7 can only applied if it's the former. The fact that Tiger made a mistake and nobody realised it until a TV-viewer highlighted it, doesn't help him at all.

That someone is not aware of breaking the rules is not an option to apply rule 33-7, you are responsible for knowing and plying by the rules.

He has been incorrectly allowed to continue play in this years Masters. Tragically.

Perhaps. And if so, the tournament officials should be ashamed.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Woods decided to continue playing, it's quite obvious that he doesn't care whether he has public support or not and whether his fellow competitors agree or not. That pretty well sums up his all around attitude anyway.

He plays to win at all costs... A bit like Lance Armstrong minus the Livestrong charity

Edited by valrhona

What appears to be difficult to grasp (for some) is that there is a difference in what we COULD NOT have been aware of, and what is blatantly obvious. Rule 33-7 can only applied if it's the former. The fact that Tiger made a mistake and nobody realised it until a TV-viewer highlighted it, doesn't help him at all.

That someone is not aware of breaking the rules is not an option to apply rule 33-7, you are responsible for knowing and plying by the rules.

He has been incorrectly allowed to continue play in this years Masters. Tragically.

Perhaps. And if so, the tournament officials should be ashamed.

They should. I am confident this would never have happened during US Open or British Open.

I have always believed Masters should be stripped of it's status as a major. This spectacle further strengthens that opinion.

• Like 1

If Woods decided to continue playing, it's quite obvious that he doesn't care whether he has public support or not... That pretty well sums up his all around attitude anyway.

He plays to win at all costs... A bit like Lance Armstrong minus the Livestrong charity

Rephrase for correctness: If Woods decided to continue playing after tournament officials deemed he in fact should play, it's quite obvious that the public, who can't seem to grasp very simple concepts about officiating and who enforces the rules, will be against him. He does care whether he has public support or not, but when the support is based in a lack of logic and reasoning abilities, he perhaps does in fact not care... That pretty well sums up his all around attitude anyway.

He plays to win at all costs, even when winning means listing to an official!! ... A bit like Lance Armstrong, who is an easy target to make an association with at this point. Oh, and forget about all the good Armstrong and Woods have done, that matters not. I mean, this is a guy who listens to officials. Can you believe the nerve of him!! lol

If Woods decided to continue playing, it's quite obvious that he doesn't care whether he has public support or not... That pretty well sums up his all around attitude anyway.

Rephrase for correctness: If Woods decided to continue playing after tournament officials deemed he in fact should play, it's quite obvious that the public, who can't seem to grasp very simple concepts about officiating and who enforces the rules, will be against him. He does care whether he has public support or not, but when the support is based in a lack of logic and reasoning abilities, he perhaps does in fact not care... That pretty well sums up his all around attitude anyway.

He plays to win at all costs, even when winning means listing to an official!! ... A bit like Lance Armstrong, who is an easy target to make an association with at this point. Oh, and forget about all the good Armstrong and Woods have done, that matters not. I mean, this is a guy who listens to officials. Can you believe the nerve of him!! lol

The scary truth is that it would have been more correct not to give Tiger any penalty at all. In my opinion.

The scary truth is that it would have been more correct not to give Tiger any penalty at all. In my opinion.

That is interesting.

I am rooting for him now btw, not that it matters. I have never rooted for him either.

Considering that people that are very well versed in the rules have given their opinion thus influencing public opinion. It is hardly correct to say others don't have a clue.

Armstrong has done a lot of good but it doesn't negate the fact that he has questionable morals. The same goes with Woods... No one is all good or all bad. Some are better than others...

There's a reason both of those characters were dropped by numerous sponsors. Some of these companies have images to protect and these two have a tarnished one.

Edited by valrhona

It is a competition, there are rules. If the players abide by them, there is no fault one way or another.

That's the problem in a nutshell. He didn't abide by the rules. And the penalty for breaking one of these rules (read my previous posts for an explanation WHY) is disqualification.

Well, full circle now, but as I inferred initially, disqualify him then - it is all on video clear as can be.

If not, then play on.

Exactly. How they came up with the 2 penalties and no DQ I dont understand. There are only two options:

1. No penalty (which should have been a correct ruling considering they ruled it OK first before Tiger signed the card)
  2. Penalty and DQ (which should have been a correct ruling considering they did NOT rule it OK first before Tiger signed the card)

If I am correct they never did a ruling, which means rule 34-3/1 cannot be applied (they cannot correct a ruling if it was never made in the first place).

The third option they opted for (2 penalty and no DQ) doesn't exist.

Edited by Forethat

If Woods decided to continue playing, it's quite obvious that he doesn't care whether he has public support or not and whether his fellow competitors agree or not. That pretty well sums up his all around attitude anyway.

Are you inferring Woods has taken performance enhancing drugs to further his golf career?

Edited by chuckd

No I'm saying he doesn't care about what others think as long as he wins. Armstrong's attitude was exactly the same in that regard. In my opinion, he was worse because of the way he bullied others and continuously lied. Woods has not been as aggressive in his lies(infidelity).

Edited by valrhona

Ok, but here......"Winning at all costs, and not caring what others think" = playing out the rest of this tournament? You could say that stuff if he didn't leave the tournament when his mom was dying in the hospital or something. But simply playing in a tournament, that millions of fans want to watch him play in incidentally, is cause for your statements?

It is a farce that originated from players who have something against him, and it gained steam from there. I personally think people like Nick Faldo should be ashamed, I like him too is the ironic part. I really don't think it is his place to make statements like that in the middle of a big tournament. Dialogue like that obviously affects the players, it just isn't right. The blame going around now is all ass-backwards if you ask me.

Edited by isawasnake

Wow! Forethat and Isawasnake have been at it today! took a bit of reading to get through all that.

I can see both sides of the case!

Forethat is saying that Tiger broke the rules and he should have known better, he signed for an incorrect card = out the door.

Isawasnake is saying that, ok - there has been a process that the officials have gone through and they ave given him the all clear.. let him play.

My opinion - not that it counts for much. Is.... what a mess. If he wins it won't be the last we hear about it.

To lighten the mood, Snedeker is looking great, a few of the golf channel guys have been calling him Sneeeedeker. The advert that has planted that seed is below.

• Like 1

"= out the door."

he was saying he should should be branded a "cheater" if he doesn't voluntarily kick himself out the door anyway, which was the part I had contention with.... as you know if you waded through all that smile.png

Edited by isawasnake

I guess it is only the 'social' golfers that think TW should be playing. Those that take the game more seriously understand that a golfer should, and does, give himself penalties even when he is the only one that knows he should get one.

That is part of being a golfer, you self rule. Done it many times myself when a ball has moved slightly or a branch has broken during a practice swing. That's what makes golf different, and in my view, better because the golfer is seen to be above reproach.

Well not any more, now that TW has done this we may find young brats trying to find all different ways out of giving themselves a penalty.

There is one thing about this that lays the blame firmly with TW and why he should withdraw.

He explained why he moved the ball back further for the drop.

If he had just dropped his ball where he THOUGHT was the nearest point and it was later pointed out to be wrong then fair enough, a penalty etc.

But he said he did it on purpose. Therefore he knowingly, or should have known, he broke the rules. No excuse, he should be DQ.

Can someone please tell me the best way to watch Masters on internet for free?

You:

Done it many times myself when a ball has moved slightly or a branch has broken during a practice swing. That's what makes golf different, and in my view, better because the golfer is seen to be above reproach.clap2.gif

Golfers: so much better than athletes in any other sport. Beyond reproach, as nobody plays honest anymore. (who are you guys, seriously? Elucidate to me how golfers are somehow above other athletes, because they are the only athletes to police themselves?)

Tiger: has now ruined the entire sport for everybody bah.gif

Lucky will still have people like you. wai.gif

Edited by isawasnake

PM sent.

Forethat - can I please have a PM too?

I was watching this morning on THai channel 7 and as mentioned in earlier posts the telecast stops at 6am. Hate for it to be a playoff and not watch. I have got one stream as a back up but it sounds like it is in Italian. If you have a good link I would appreciate the add.

PM sent.

Forethat - can I please have a PM too?

I was watching this morning on THai channel 7 and as mentioned in earlier posts the telecast stops at 6am. Hate for it to be a playoff and not watch. I have got one stream as a back up but it sounds like it is in Italian. If you have a good link I would appreciate the add.

You certainly can!

Sent.

• Like 1

I guess it is only the 'social' golfers that think TW should be playing. Those that take the game more seriously understand that a golfer should, and does, give himself penalties even when he is the only one that knows he should get one.

That is part of being a golfer, you self rule. Done it many times myself when a ball has moved slightly or a branch has broken during a practice swing. That's what makes golf different, and in my view, better because the golfer is seen to be above reproach.

Well not any more, now that TW has done this we may find young brats trying to find all different ways out of giving themselves a penalty.

There is one thing about this that lays the blame firmly with TW and why he should withdraw.

If he had just dropped his ball where he THOUGHT was the nearest point and it was later pointed out to be wrong then fair enough, a penalty etc.

But he said he did it on purpose. Therefore he knowingly, or should have known, he broke the rules. No excuse, he should be DQ.

So come on Einstein, why did not the Augusta committee not see it that way?, and that's after consulting the PGA, European tour, Obama,s dog and Uncle Tom Cobbly.

Edited by phutoie2

So come on Einstein, why did not the Augusta committee not see it that way?, and that's after consulting the PGA, European tour, Obama,s dog and Uncle Tom Cobbly.

They were plain wrong is probably the second easiest explanation...? The easiest one is that Augusta would have lost a fat pile of million dollars if Tiger was not in the field.

They were plain wrong is probably the second easiest explanation...? The easiest one is that Augusta would have lost a fat pile of million dollars if Tiger was not in the field.

That's right.. bottom line.. Tiger playing on Sunday more money.

Augusta National own the event, they produce the television footage for the event. They command megabucks for the TV rights. If Tiger is playing Sunday afternoon the ratings go up. The next time they pitch for how much the broadcast is worth they can use those 'Tiger inflated' ratings.

Notice no advertising signage around the golf course - they don't need the cash. They can throw that into the TV pitch as well.

Say Budweiser have a TV Advert spot, the network can charge them extra care of Augusta because straight after the advert you won't be seeing a Heineken Sponsored Tee Box. Network charges extra, Augusta charges extra.

You:

Done it many times myself when a ball has moved slightly or a branch has broken during a practice swing. That's what makes golf different, and in my view, better because the golfer is seen to be above reproach.clap2.gif

Golfers: so much better than athletes in any other sport. Beyond reproach, as nobody plays honest anymore. (who are you guys, seriously? Elucidate to me how golfers are somehow above other athletes, because they are the only athletes to police themselves?)

Tiger: has now ruined the entire sport for everybody bah.gif

Lucky will still have people like you. wai.gif

You obviously haven't played golf seriously.

Serious golfers pulling penalties on themselves are a dime a dozen. It is a rare few that don't.

Having read the link given in post #139 I can see no reason (aside from financial) why he should not have been disqualified. The officials, in my opinion, have just made themselves look daft arriving at this decision as they simply have not followed their own rules and seem to have made up circumstances to be able to bend them.

As for the previous comments claiming tennis players would never overrule the officials to their own detriment, well it happens all the time - especially on key points.

To lighten the mood, Snedeker is looking great, a few of the golf channel guys have been calling him Sneeeedeker. The advert that has planted that seed is below.

Nothing would please me more of Sneeeedeker wins!

Putting is his game and he was fantastic yesterday.

Jason Day is a good putter too, but had a couple of 3 stabs in a row at the end of the 3rd.

Adam Scott seems to be putting well, but last round of British Open last year he was leaving them short dead in the heart. Hopefully he will find it a bit more difficult to leave them short at Augusta.

One thing with Sneeeedeker is that last year in the British Open in the last round when the heat was on he was hitting them everywhere off the tee. I noticed he leaked his tee shot on the 18th yday, fingers crossed he has ironed that out. Augusta is supposed to have more generous landing areas off the tee. Doesn't really pack a punch off the tee compared to Day,Scott, Leishman and Cabrera.

Big ups to who ever gets the job done. I hope Day wins, but like I said, fair dues to whoever wins.

in a nutshell Forethat, couldn't agree more !

Edited by tigerfish