Phuket Police Practice Mob Control

webfact

Phuket police practice mob control
Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Around 250 police officers took part in riot control practice yesterday and today (April 1 and 2) on the parade ground behind the Phuket City Police Station, as part of a national drive to sharpen up crowd control abilities.

Grinning officers playing the part of the mob taunted the helmeted police advancing behind a wall of shields, hurling plastic water bottles at them and letting off firecrackers.

The riot control officers blocked them and then retaliated with a water cannon – which was rather appreciated by the “rioters” on the hot parade ground.

Police in patrol trucks also practiced dealing with a “mob” on motorcycles, driving in a wall to block their way.

Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat, Commander of Provincial Police, told The Phuket News that the practice was not with any particular Phuket problem in mind, but was on the orders of the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Gen Adul Saengsingkaew.

“We are practicing techniques for controlling mobs in order to be prepared for any situation that may arise,” he explained.

“It is essential that we practice so that our officers work effectively together. Anything may happen in the future, so we have to be always ready to deal with it.

“We follow international standards of riot control. Police must know how to deal with a mob, such as setting up lines of officers with armor to control the mob.

“At our first practice, officers spent about one and a half hours getting ready. That’s too long. I believe that if we practice often, we will get faster. Our aim is just 25 minutes.

“We will have more practice sessions two weeks from now.”

Asked whether this week’s practice was in preparation for possible riots by taxi and tuk-tuk drivers against the proposed bus service from Phuket International Airport to Kata via Patong, Gen Choti said, “It is everyone’s right to protest, but if you hurt people, destroy property or break the law, then the Riot Control Company will be brought into action.

"It all depends on the situation.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-practice-mob-control-38335.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-02

They should get some of the islands tuktuk and taxi Mafia guys in to play the crowd. After all they will be the real crowd if the airport bus service EVER starts operations :P

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

haha remind me of a big exercise in my home town in Holland they held one in a soccer stadium after 10 minutes got myself 2 handcuffs a helmet and a walkie-talkie from the " officers " was a big laugh when i brought em back to the big chief afterwards when they were all discussing how it went , i joined them as volunteer for the exercise

now let's put that in practise with the tuk tuk and taxi maffia that does not allow fair competition or choice aka the public bus service from airport to several parts in the pirate island

The cops are at a distinct disadvantage here.

The tuk tuk mafia regularly gather in a group and INFLICT violence.

The police rarely gather in a group unless there is free alcohol or hookers.

It follows that the cops need a good deal more practice working as a team if they are going to take on the taxi lads.