Chanthaburi - Tha Chalaep

cycloneJ

Situated at the end of Highway 3146 and accessible through Bang Kacha either via Chanthaburi or Tha Mai, Tha Chalaep is a small town on the banks of the Chanthaburi River, 6km inland from the coastal port town of Laem Sing

Easy from Chanthaburi City Highway 3146/Tha Chalaep Road runs past the lake, past Eastern Hotel and Big C. Just stay on this road - about 10km till the end. At about 4km you'll see the Welcome to Bankaja sign, continue straight ahead 6km to Tha Chalaep.

Note - Tha Chalaep on some maps as Tha Chalaeb, Tha Chalab, one word or two; as with Bang Kacha - also Ban Kaja, one word orr two.

thachalaepmap_zpsa5f88320.jpgbangkacha_zps331340d7.jpg

Edited by cycloneJ

The Road To Tha Chalaep

The last few km towards Tha Chalaep, the road is built up with swamp areas either side.

A very popular cycling route with regular group rides weekday evenings and Sunday mornings, minimal traffic and good visibility.

Our daughter believes there are crocodiles in the swamp areas (that was a cruel rumour to start).

The hills in the distance are part of Namtok Phlio National Park.

thachalaeproad_zps797e565d.jpgthachalaepcycle1_zps55dbfee1.jpg

Riverfront Park at Tha Chalaep

Access about 100m before reaching the pier; small childrens' playground, outdoor fitness/exercise equipment, shaded areas.

thachalaeppark2_zps99d6b592.jpgthachalaeppark1_zps7cddf9ae.jpg

Playground area

The gaps between bars were too wide and she was able to escape!

thachalaeppark3_zps7217e020.jpg

Looks fantastic. I'd like to visit this area someday!!

Thanks

I read a travel blog on the weekend, people who came to Chanthaburi last year and they described it as (quote) YAWN

Then I read their blogs for the time they were here. Stayed in the central city area and didn't venture out of the city; sitting on there bums eating, drinking coffee, playing with laptops, taking photos of each other eating and drinking coffee, posting on their blog.

That to me is utter YAWN!

The saying 'boring people get bored' would apply.

It's not geared for the tourist who wants nightclubs, bars etc (good!)

Thought I'd do a few threads on the smaller places out of the city; all within easy 1hr cycling distance or 30min ride on a rental scooter from centre city for the mildly-active traveler.

• Like 1

thachalaepdiveboat_zpsab3a134f.jpgdiving_zps59bad2a3.jpgthachalaeppier1_zpsd75eb80a.jpg

1. The National Marine Archaeology Dept has an office here, and this boat is used for recovery of artefacts from the many shipwrecks along the Chanthaburi coast; many of the items recovered are on display at the National Maritime Museum located at Noen Wong 8km away (thread soon).

There's also a Royal Thai Police/Immigration coastal/patrol vessel based here.

Tha Chalaep was once a trading port with China.

At Samet Ngan across the river there was once a shipyard used by King Taksin in 1760s, museum, and a hull of a Chinese barque preserved in a salt water pool. Also the Royal Thai Navy Ship HTMS Phosamton moored while restoration takes place (see this thread From Toronto To Chanthaburi: H M S Minstrel - H T M S Phosamton)

3. Shellfish gathering

Edited by cycloneJ

A Temple and a Church at Tha Chalaep

Wat Wisek Karam is unlike any Thai Buddhist temple I have seen - visible for miles it is on top of the only hill in the immediate area.

St Peter's Roman Catholic Church is nearby; there are several RC churches in the area, less than 2 km down the river towards Laem Sing - Arakkha Thewada at Laem Pradu, inland St Joseph's at Tha Mai and St Francis Xavier at Khlong Khud, and the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in the central city.

WatWiwekKaram_zps617e77f1.jpgChurchofSaintPeter_zps11024a46.jpg

The Pier at Tha Chalaep

End of the road; fishing rods and hand-lines, cyclists waiting for the slow ones to catch up (me), views inland and across the river.

Several restaurants in this area, the one to the right of the pier, built out over the water, is most popular and often crowded, though we've found the service to be about 5/10 - but have continued despite this for the location, views and good food.

thachalaepcycle2_zps800b881d.jpgthachalaeppier2_zps5f2fb281.jpg

Noen Wong fort, National Maritime Museum, Wat Phlap

50m before the 'Welcome to Bankaja' sign shown in post 1, option to turn right on Highway 3147 and do a loop back to Highway 3146 the road to Tha Chalaep.

400m and on your right is Noen Wong Fort.

The fort (270 rai, 43 hectares) was built in the reign of King Rama III, approx 1834, for defending the invasion from Vietnamese forces. Old cannons line the walls.

noenwong1_zps469d1677.jpgnoenwong2_zps783f6380.jpg

noenwong3_zps0ee7067b.jpgnoenwong4_zps09c01dae.jpg

Entrance to the Noen Wong grounds is free.

Inside the grounds is a temple, Wat Yothanimitara , and the National Maritime Museum and the Underwater Archaeological Department

noenwong5_zps89c2005a.jpg

National Maritime Museum (Chanthaburi)

nmm1_zpsda17159a.jpg

Situated inside the grounds of Noen Wong fort, the museum has a focus on historic aspects of maritime life, especially on the Chanthaburi coast.

nmm3_zps518a684d.jpgnmm2_zps7de3860e.jpg

The museum has a collection of scale models of Asian seafaring vessels, including an in-house reconstruction of Bangkachai II shipwreck found near Chanthaburi coast. It also hosts a vast amount of maritime artefacts recovered from wrecks in the Gulf of Thailand,
nmm5_zpsb0f72225.jpgnmm4_zps9bf64106.jpg
nmm6_zps91c13cbf.jpgnmm7_zpseb4fdff5.jpg
The Ban Pa-Na Win (‘an ancestor of navigation’) is a model of a Sampao (Chinese trading vessel). The 1:4 scale model is large to explore, and features models of members of the ship’s crew going about their duties on board. One cargo hold has antique pottery, including examples of Sangkalok (glazed Chinaware) and fine Celadon porcelain that sailors aboard the wrecked ships Rangkwien and Si Chang 2 were aiming to export from Singburi and Suphan Buri.
  • Like 1

Wat Phlap (Ban Kacha)

wp5_zpsa3ae4a6e.jpg

From Noen Wong, continue on 3147 for 1100m, turn left at the signposted corner and down the hill to Ban Kacha (Bankaja)

wp1_zps9c7af51f.jpgwp2_zpsb34e3de9.jpg

Wat Phlap and the Ban Bang Kacha community were settled around 1757. This was once the place where King Taksin the Great’s troops rested. The hall was also used as the place to hold the Ceremony of Murathaphisek or making sacred water - water for pouring over the king’s head in the coronation ceremony or other royal rituals - at the beginning of the Chakri Dynasty.
wp3_zps5768cedb.jpgwp4_zps5839638c.jpg
From here. continue 1.2km back to the junction with Highway 3146, turn right to Tha Chalaep.
This loop for fort, museum, temple is just 3km in total.

The Pier at Tha Chalaep

End of the road; fishing rods and hand-lines, cyclists waiting for the slow ones to catch up (me), views inland and across the river.

Several restaurants in this area, the one to the right of the pier, built out over the water, is most popular and often crowded, though we've found the service to be about 5/10 - but have continued despite this for the location, views and good food.

thachalaepcycle2_zps800b881d.jpgthachalaeppier2_zps5f2fb281.jpg

Our favourite restaurant!

We go there every week - never crowded, but we never go in the weekend.

The service is "authentic" yes, you need a thai speaker and patience.

But the food makes up for all that - not to mention the prices...

Try the coconut filled with seafood humuk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just been in the area for 8 days, looking to move out of Chiang Mai , looks like just the spot for me . cycle lanes , wide roads , empty beaches ,friendly people seemingly (I was there in July , no idea how crowded it gets high season , not really too bothered , ChiangMai smog killing me ! No Thai partner.........................swimmer and would be cyclist ( again) terrifies me cycling CM .

My Thai language Ok ( ish ) tried to get some info on house or condo (?) in area from Wimin down through Chao Lao and Laem Sing , difficult , no agents or rent signs to be seen , guess its a second home place .

Any info or help from experienced expats in the area much appreciated . Thanks Barry [email protected]