Yingluck ' Woman Of The Year 2013'

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a surprise. Mouthing platitudes earns you a meaningless award, worth slightly more than an honorary degree from an obscure kiwi university that appears to know SFA about Thai politics.

OzMick,

I seem to be a bit behind the ball here.. she actually went to University in my home country, New Zealand?

Every Thai person I know in New Zealand (I live in Wellington but lived in Auckland all my life until a few years ago) here has an extreme dislike for her, and for the movement which they see is destroying their country. Many are partially westernized and see her not as woman of the year, but a picture of disappointment and feel anger towards her because the way she behaves devalues the traditional Thai woman, and is attempting to instill western attitudes on a culture which is beautiful without it.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

What a surprise. Mouthing platitudes earns you a meaningless award, worth slightly more than an honorary degree from an obscure kiwi university that appears to know SFA about Thai politics.

OzMick,

I seem to be a bit behind the ball here.. she actually went to University in my home country, New Zealand?

Every Thai person I know in New Zealand (I live in Wellington but lived in Auckland all my life until a few years ago) here has an extreme dislike for her, and for the movement which they see is destroying their country. Many are partially westernized and see her not as woman of the year, but a picture of disappointment and feel anger towards her because the way she behaves devalues the traditional Thai woman, and is attempting to instill western attitudes on a culture which is beautiful without it.

It's hard to say really. A lot of Thais that are able to study abroad are the filthy rich that want to get filthy richer.

The locals here love her, but that can be due to the education system which makes them a bunch of mindless lemmings -- in other words they're suckers for anything.

Then there are the plain and simply honest people -- the ones with brains -- that hate her for the right reasons.

So is she a good person because she helps all the poor, stupid, gullible farmers (just how, I'm not sure)? Or is she a bad person because her policies are making the rich not-much-richer?

It's hard to say.

I don't care what the lovers of haters say.I think she's a fine specimen of a woman w00t.gif .Looking good for her age.She can be my woman of the year anytime whistling.gif .As for being voted woman of the year so early ?,have you ever seen car advertisements ? .Car of the year 2013 in January coffee1.gif

It's not a contest for 'who looks good in a pantsuit with lots of whitening cream' ...is it?

• Like 1

OzMick,

No. She was awarded an honorary degree on her visit from what appears to be a flash tech college - the award because she was Thailand's first PM. I'd take Helen Clark in preference EVERY day.

Maybe if she gave Thai women the same RIGHTS that Thai men enjoy then I could understand her

winning the " woman of the year" award.

As of now, nothing has changed since she been elected to office. Thai women will continue to be 2nd class

citizens in their own country.

Edited by mike123ca
  • Like 1

Maybe if she gave Thai women the same RIGHTS that Thai men enjoy then I could understand her

winning the " woman of the year" award.

As of now, nothing has changed since she been elected to office. Thai women will continue to be 2nd class

citizens in their own country.

IMHO she has done absolutely nothing for Thai women at all as really won't be holding my breath waiting for a change.

To me she is little more than a talking head and they can be seen on TV in most countries.

Those that oppose the P.M recieving this award have not nominated another woman who has achieved more in Thailand in the last 12 months.

That's because there isn't any !! ( Well none in a position to siphon funds to relatives/Cronies)

BTW who were the other contenders?? Or was it a one horse race.

This just in… Suthep has called for a state of emergency in the capital. He wants to schedule a recount for the Woman of the Year award. He thinks an emergency sex change could help his favorite wussy (Abhisit) move from second to first place.

OzMick,

No. She was awarded an honorary degree on her visit from what appears to be a flash tech college - the award because she was Thailand's first PM. I'd take Helen Clark in preference EVERY day.

Your airport gorillas had Helen Clark trapped in Sydney a few years back when she was PM. Most of us would have happily accepted you Aussies keeping her then but you let her escape back into NZ.

AUT is basically that a flash tech college that draws a lot of thai students. There is an increasing number of thai students coming into NZ and they are making a pitch for the numbers game, so what better than to grease to Yingluck. Plus from personnel debate with some of their political lecturers (the Indian one or name any other ethnic group that can hardly speak in a lecture theatre in understandable English - AUT has them) there is more understanding of world politics from the posters on this site than most at AUT could muster between them.

This just in… Suthep has called for a state of emergency in the capital. He wants to schedule a recount for the Woman of the Year award. He thinks an emergency sex change could help his favorite wussy (Abhisit) move from second to first place.

You have depleted your vital Songkran alcohol storage to come up with THAT? What a waste.

You have depleted your vital Songkran alcohol storage to come up with THAT? What a waste.

I don't drink. What's your excuse?

Those that oppose the P.M recieving this award have not nominated another woman who has achieved more in Thailand in the last 12 months.

As any other woman in Thailand has achieved more it was difficult to pick just one.

Just name one with an example will do.

As any other woman in Thailand has achieved more it was difficult to pick just one.

Read my post #39

Ever since her brother put her on the PM seat Yingluck's trademark is the chickening out on any controversial issues. Whenever violence against women rears its ugly head in Thailand the PM is nowhere to be found and the perpetrators get away with a pat on the wrist. There were numerous occasions in the last months where Yingluck could have shown herself "worthy" of an award and she chose to keep well out of range instead.

In my opinion this award is just some brownnosing to get taxpayer money for its inventors.

• Like 1

Ever since her brother put her on the PM seat Yingluck's trademark is the chickening out on any controversial issues. Whenever violence against women rears its ugly head in Thailand the PM is nowhere to be found and the perpetrators get away with a pat on the wrist. There were numerous occasions in the last months where Yingluck could have shown herself "worthy" of an award and she chose to keep well out of range instead.

In my opinion this award is just some brownnosing to get taxpayer money for its inventors.

According to their website, The Association for the Promotion of the Status of Women (APSW) is a non-profit, charitable organization, established to provide assistance to women and children who are victims of forced prostitution, rape, HIV/AIDS, unemployment, abandonment, physical and mental abuse.

Assuming their "brownnosing" works... What a waste of taxpayer money. blink.png

According to their website, The Association for the Promotion of the Status of Women (APSW) is a non-profit, charitable organization, established to provide assistance to women and children who are victims of forced prostitution, rape, HIV/AIDS, unemployment, abandonment, physical and mental abuse.

Assuming their "brownnosing" works... What a waste of taxpayer money. blink.png

Well & good but what have they done & who runs the organisation?

There is a well respected & long-standing organisation called the Pavena Foundation who have a very good track record. Why do we need another?

I don't hate Yingluck but giving her an award for promoting women's issues is a travesty. She has been silent on some of the worst cases in recent times, such as the Karen girl treated as a slave & tortured. Sha was also silent when one of her male party members made sexual innuendos at a female opposition member.

She may be Woman of the Year for other reasons but not in this case.

• Like 2

In terms of TL,

I have to agree.

She could have easily buckled from the pressure and scrutiny

But hasn't. In fact she seems to be fighting back a bit.

The degree of her independence can be questioned

but she's stood up to the pressure of the job so far.

She has---when she is in the country

"Dear people of Thailand, my greatest achievement up until now are:

I went abroad several times, to improve Thailand's diplomatic relations, oops, I mean,... shopping and making myself look goodie, goodie for the International scene,... During my absence I let my Pheu Thai Mafia ministries deal with your problems.... Thank you very much and bye bye...."

giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif