Thailand Sees Influx Of Eastern European Visitors

webfact

I wonder what attracts the Russians to Thailand and in particular Pattaya.

Don't they have 7Elevens in Russia?

It is one of the easist places in Asia to laundry money that is a big part of it especially in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

so what your saying is every Russian charter flight into U-Tapao is full of Russians who will laundering money n Pattaya ?...wow must a real easy job for the police to catch them then..rolleyes.gif

Of course not but probably most of the Russian owned businesses they go to are connected with money laundering. And yes it probably is pretty easy for the Thai police to catch them so I am sure they just pay them off which is seems to be the main job for most of the police.

Probably ?....so your guessing/stereotyping...?...so no different from me saying...probably all British expats living in Thailand are shaved heads, tattooed, football shirt wearing druken loud mouths or all catholic priests are proberly pedophiles ?

The funny thing about these anti-russian posts is that people getting on here mouthing off about getting the Russians out of their little bit of Thai paradise/farang ghetto in some cases are same ones bleating on about how the Thai's dont want farangs in Thailand, calling it racist/xenophobic, but none the less here they are doing the same thing directed at the Russians...wink.png

The Russians do have a funny way about them culturally (I do work with a few) but they are nice guys, but culturally they are no stranger that some of the local customs...but it seems on TV...Russian = mafia, so lets extend this to all farangs in Thailand...anyone who is Italian is a facist with sicilian mafia connections, all Germans are Nazi, All Americans are lard a*ses...etc etc

See its easy to sterotype...

• Like 2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes many of them seems to have loads of money and buys properties all over the popular destinations in Thailand.

Can't really blame them for that now that the iron curtain is gone and they can go as they please.

Surely,Zhou Zhou, you mean Red square or was it a Freudian slip.

It is obviuos why the East Europeans want to come to Thailand. It is to spend all the social security money they have conned out of Britain since the fall of communism.

no, i mean The Black Square.

This reminds me of the influx that took place in Dubai in the 90's. Russians swamped the souks buying up white goods, appliances, the lot. Hotels had to pile them outside on the streets because that had run out of storage space. The Indian shopkeepers soon became proficient in the lingo. The second phase of this evolutionary process involved the high class hookers raking it in from the Arabs. The Westerners usually went for the less expensive Chinese ladies. All good fun to witness the interaction (read competition) between them and a little later, the Africans too in the mixed bars.

Now the new breed of Russians and E. Europeans have become more sophisticated and respectable in Dubai. Patts and Phuk will probably take a while longer to reach this (improved) stage-the sooner the better I suspect for most Western Expats.

thailand big laundry monnaie for every country but now specialy for russian.

stop prostitution and clean monnaie and thailand go down very quick.

My dear chap...prostitution and dirty money was very well established in Thailand long before the Russians came on the scene...wink.png

• Like 1

Good to hear that there is " sustained economic explosion in the other Europe - the East. "

Great Nation. Great culture. One day i want to go to Russia, visit Moscow and see the Black Square.

sustained economic explosion...it must be a putin joke for those who don't have any idea about whats appening abroad,don't look at the news or dont know any ex sovietic person! russia and the old ussr (less 40 degres in winter time) is handle by mafias and corruption only.....it is a cancer overthere.you have only poor and very rich people...no midium class.

they immigrate for a better climat like they did in marbella in spain ,or south of france or italy.

Last night there was a report on Thai TV channel 5 regarding the Russians in Phuket and Pattaya.

It appears the authorities are having big problems at those places.

According to this 2-hour report, the Russians are taking over everything, manufacturing of goods, factories, import and export, shops, hotels and guesthouses, travel agents, public transport including taxis, brothels, beer bars, massage parlours and the list went on and on.

They interviewed many high-ranking officers; the woman who is head of the work permits department, who said this is a difficult problem because the Russians are using Thais to front their businesses, council officials and the chief of police. One Thai tour guide who claims to speak fluent Russian having lived and studied in Russia for many years, alleges to have been warned off by the Russian mafia to cease and desist his activities with his Phuket tourist business and is paid off the sum of 800 baht per day to stay out of it.

They interviewed the chief of police of Phuket who promised; he intends to take action and deal with the problem, but the head of the council stated otherwise. He says that once the protests stopped, so went any so-called police action with it. Another aspect of this that I found quite disturbing is that the council official kept referring to these people as farangs and not as Russians, which means whatever these people do, could have repercussions for all of us.

This could be like the song; there maybe big trouble ahead.

so what your saying is every Russian charter flight into U-Tapao is full of Russians who will laundering money n Pattaya ?...wow must a real easy job for the police to catch them then..rolleyes.gif

Not really, its a big problem for the police, as there is a huge language issue - the Ruskies cant understand the "pay now" system of fines here...and the police may end up having to actually arrest some of them, which would be a dreadful state of affairs...

One of the big reasons I believe , why they are changing to L/H drive next year..coffee1.gif

.......you cant keep this up you know...its after 12 noon on the 1st...

Thailand Sees Influx of News Stories Belaboring the Obvious

..........well said - I nearly choked on my beer...haha!

It is one of the easist places in Asia to laundry money that is a big part of it especially in places like Pattaya and Phuket.
Yep.

Anywhere where there is a cheap beach, the Russians have commandeered it. Phuket and Pattaya in Thailand, Mui Ne and Nha Trang in Vietnam,

Goa in India, now the south of Spain....where will it end? Have they taken over Bali, yet?

Yes, they have so much, that they go stealing at Central on daily basis

So, PM Yingluck's suggestion to concentrate more on high-level tourists rather than only number of tourists, is starting to pay off already?

having monolingual restaurant menus in a foreign language other then English qualifies as higher end.

Need to have money to start with.

Large majority come on pre-paid tours, they do not have any money and the deals are dirt cheap, because the tour company makes money from restaurants where they take them, hotels where they place them and shops where they take them.

Just for your information, so you are well informed. When Russian want to be a condo here, they need a bill from the developer, a letter from the lawyer, a letter from the accountant and few other papers for Russian bank to release/send the money

Just for your information, so you are well informed. When Russian want to be a condo here, they need a bill from the developer, a letter from the lawyer, a letter from the accountant and few other papers for Russian bank to release/send the money

?

You think they are not carrying cash in rather large amounts? Bizarre.

?

You think they are not carrying cash in rather large amounts? Bizarre.

Well to be honest, considering that i speak the language, have them as customers, know the owners of Russian House and 5 Russian channels, i can pretty much guarantee that may be 1%(if that) have kind of money you talking about, and out of those few, even fewer bring it with them.

When you go through Russian Customs, perhaps you did not know, but they check for cash and if found, cash is confiscated.

Edited by lemoncake

but they check for cash and if found, cash is confiscated.

lol

Fair play (perhaps) on the buying of condos but most of them are dripping in cash. So much so that I worry about the home I rent as a couple of long term (4-5 years) tennents have been kicked out in the last couple of weeks in favour of Russian couples (with a child) who are paying 20k a month.. 1 year up front in cash. I pay 6k (6 months up front) and the 2 people who were evicted paid 8k per month, monthly.

Maybe it's only on Samui?

One of the things I have done here over the 14 years is make lots of Thai friends many of whom I trust 100%. Not your general nongs but lawyers, bankers, doctors, business owners etc. ALL of them are saying that there seems to be an awful lot of cash floating around. Even the local Mafia (been here a long time) are getting jittery because it could cause an increase in crime. I've even started to lock my door when I go out now which I don't like.

I have nothing against Russians any more than I do against people with different colour skin or sexual orientation. However, I don't see this influx of CASH good for myself nor your man on the street Thai person.

Edited by notmyself

but they check for cash and if found, cash is confiscated.

lol

Fair play (perhaps) on the buying of condos but most of them are dripping in cash. So much so that I worry about the home I rent as a couple of long term (4-5 years) tennents have been kicked out in the last couple of weeks in favour of Russian couples (with a child) who are paying 20k a month.. 1 year up front in cash. I pay 6k (6 months up front) and the 2 people who were evicted paid 8k per month, monthly.

Maybe it's only on Samui?

One of the things I have done here over the 14 years is make lots of Thai friends many of whom I trust 100%. Not your general nongs but lawyers, bankers, doctors, business owners etc. ALL of them are saying that there seems to be an awful lot of cash floating around. Even the local Mafia (been here a long time) are getting jittery because it could cause an increase in crime. I've even started to lock my door when I go out now which I don't like.

I have nothing against Russians any more than I do against people with different colour skin or sexual orientation. However, I don't see this influx of CASH good for myself nor your man on the street Thai person.

Just because there is loads of cash around, it does not mean it came from Russia.

Russians in general are very very poor.

A salary for a manager is around 15 000 rubles per month.

The rich ones are dime in dozen. Naturally for example if you sell diamonds and have russian customers, you might assume that All Russians are rich, however only a tiny % buy diamonds.

I am not sure on the limits of cash allowed out of Russian at the moment, but last time i was there, it was $200, i had $1000. $800 was confiscated.

It is obviuos why the East Europeans want to come to Thailand. It is to spend all the social security money they have conned out of Britain since the fall of communism.

Russia isn't part of the European Economic Area, so Russians cannot come to the UK without the necessary visa; which means they are barred from claiming public funds until they have Indefinite Leave to Remain; which under the rules introduced last July will take at least 5 years.

Nationals of those Eastern European states which are members of the EEA have the same rights in the UK, and all other EEA states, as British nationals have in all other EEA states. Automatic entitlement to the full range of social security benefits is not one of those rights.

Most East Europeans who do come to the UK come to work, and many do the jobs which many native Brits consider beneath them; sweeping the streets for example (ask the relevant manager at any large local authority).

Still, why let the facts get in the way of your prejudices!

Now, back to the topic.......

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

Russia isn't part of the European Economic Area, so Russians cannot come to the UK without the necessary visa; which means they are barred from claiming public funds until they have Indefinite Leave to Remain; which under the rules introduced last July will take at least 5 years.

Nationals of those Eastern European states which are members of the EEA have the same rights in the UK, and all other EEA states, as British nationals have in all other EEA states. Automatic entitlement to the full range of social security benefits is not one of those rights.

Most East Europeans who do come to the UK come to work, and many do the jobs which many native Brits consider beneath them; sweeping the streets for example (ask the relevant manager at any large local authority).

Still, why let the facts get in the way of your prejudices!

Now, back to the topic.......

I don't know about that. I would be happy enough to be a road sweeper or bin man if openings were available...

Just because there is loads of cash around, it does not mean it came from Russia.

Russians in general are very very poor.

A salary for a manager is around 15 000 rubles per month.

The rich ones are dime in dozen. Naturally for example if you sell diamonds and have russian customers, you might assume that All Russians are rich, however only a tiny % buy diamonds.

I am not sure on the limits of cash allowed out of Russian at the moment, but last time i was there, it was $200, i had $1000. $800 was confiscated.

Sorry. The increase in 'cash' has come from the increase in Russians. My old mate of 10 years who runs an exchange in Lamai offering better than bank rates is making a killing on the money (US$s) which the local Russians are passing through him. Local expats and tourist friends of theirs are pretty much the same as has been for a good few years. As to whether it came FROM Russia direct, don't know. Perhaps we should or should have asked Cyprus!

Be all and end all is that there is a considerable amount of money coming onto Samui in the form of cash. Another thing which you may be able to illuminate on is the number of Russians at Tecso Lotus which want to pay for your shopping using their card in exchange for cash. Looks dodgy to me but not sure.

I was in the UK last year and as usual got bored so I do a bit of cash business here and there. I ended up returning to LoS with 12-1400 GBP in cash and needed to change a bit before I flew to Samui. I don't use the airport exchanges because they give a rotten rate but it was late and I wanted some Baht in my wallet. The oly people at the booths were Russian and they were not exchanging 50 bucks mate. They were exchanging 1000's.

Social security benefits vary from EEA country to EEA country. So if someone comes to the UK from,say,Poland they will get a much higher payment than if a UK citizen went to Poland.This is unfair.

Also ,I believe that if a British citizen goes to live in another EEA country they have to wait 2 years before they can claim bebefits. You know as well as I do immigrants and asylum seekers only need to utter the magical words,"I CLAIM ASYLUM" to get all the benefits they want,and more.

I do not see many East Europeans doing menial jobs.They are here for another reason. The leader of UKIP says 98% of ATM frauds in the UK are committed by East Europeans. Just because I care for my country does not mean I am prejudice. I would say that you and your like are prejudiced against the British people.

• Like 1

Social security benefits vary from EEA country to EEA country. So if someone comes to the UK from,say,Poland they will get a much higher payment than if a UK citizen went to Poland.This is unfair.

Also ,I believe that if a British citizen goes to live in another EEA country they have to wait 2 years before they can claim bebefits. You know as well as I do immigrants and asylum seekers only need to utter the magical words,"I CLAIM ASYLUM" to get all the benefits they want,and more.

I do not see many East Europeans doing menial jobs.They are here for another reason. The leader of UKIP says 98% of ATM frauds in the UK are committed by East Europeans. Just because I care for my country does not mean I am prejudice. I would say that you and your like are prejudiced against the British people.

and what does that have to do with Thailand?

• Like 1

Not on topic and contains some errors though for the most part correct. I have a feeling that this and the quoted post will be deleted so try again. Edited by notmyself