Thailand Sees Influx Of Eastern European Visitors

webfact

I wonder what attracts the Russians to Thailand and in particular Pattaya.

Don't they have 7Elevens in Russia?

It is one of the easist places in Asia to laundry money that is a big part of it especially in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

so what your saying is every Russian charter flight into U-Tapao is full of Russians who will laundering money n Pattaya ?...wow must a real easy job for the police to catch them then..rolleyes.gif

I have just read another thread where the police seem unwilling to pursue a known thief.

So these people come to Pattata, spend plenty money and boost the economy.

They aren't particularly fussy, in that they will pay 60 baht for old re-cooked chicken.

I don't think the police are bothered by this.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what attracts the Russians to Thailand and in particular Pattaya.

Don't they have 7Elevens in Russia?

Probably not, but just as many Russians, if not more go to Nha Trang and Mui Ne in Vietnam. Pattaya and Phuket still have plenty of tourists from other countries, but in Nha Trang, at least half are Russian and in Mui Ne, I'd take a guess and say 3/4 are Russians these days.

BTW there are no 7-11s in Vietnam, but they do have Circle K's, M-marts and Family Marts though.

I remember seeing Russians in Vietnam in 1991 at Vung Tao as well as Saigon and Hanoi.

I think there are plenty of jealous farangs on TV who just can't bear to think that people from Russia are better off then them. Times have changed - the old West is no longer the center of everything. Get used to it.

I doubt many normal Russians are better off than their counterparts in the West. What is the average Russian salary?

They are more inclined to spend and travel and enjoy the freedoms denied to them for so long, whereas many in the West have become more conservative and take travel for granted.

Times are changing - but Russia is still a country blighted with corruption and the dogmas lingering from generations of communist idoctrination.

We are not off topic. We are discussing East Europeans going to other countries. Thailand can learn a lot from this constructive criticism.<br /><br />One of the main problems is the different nature of east and west people. If a westerner gets help from another country they are truly grateful and become good citizens. If an east european gets help from another country they take it as a sign of weakness and and try to con anything they can out of you. It is indemic and automatic and I have experienced it.<br /><br />If Thailand allows vast numbers of east europeans to enter they can expect the crime figures to rise sharply.

We are not off topic. We are discussing East Europeans going to other countries. Thailand can learn a lot from this constructive criticism.<br /><br />One of the main problems is the different nature of east and west people. If a westerner gets help from another country they are truly grateful and become good citizens. If an east european gets help from another country they take it as a sign of weakness and and try to con anything they can out of you. It is indemic and automatic and I have experienced it.<br /><br />If Thailand allows vast numbers of east europeans to enter they can expect the crime figures to rise sharply.

what a nonsense.

Social security benefits vary from EEA country to EEA country. So if someone comes to the UK from,say,Poland they will get a much higher payment than if a UK citizen went to Poland.This is unfair.

Also ,I believe that if a British citizen goes to live in another EEA country they have to wait 2 years before they can claim bebefits. You know as well as I do immigrants and asylum seekers only need to utter the magical words,"I CLAIM ASYLUM" to get all the benefits they want,and more.

I do not see many East Europeans doing menial jobs.They are here for another reason. The leader of UKIP says 98% of ATM frauds in the UK are committed by East Europeans. Just because I care for my country does not mean I am prejudice. I would say that you and your like are prejudiced against the British people.

Yes, public benefits do vary from EEA country to country; I have not said otherwise. What I did say was that those using their EEA economic treaty rights to move to another EEA state are not automaticaly entitled to the full range of benefits available to citizens of that state.

IF you haven't noticed that most menial jobs in the UK are these days done by East Europeans you either don't get out much or consider talking to such people to be beneath you. I suspect the latter.

That you are relying on Farage to back up your argument proves how prejudiced and ill informed it is.

Check the facts for yourself and don't rely on UKIP's racist propaganda.

BTW, like you, UKIP don't seem to know the difference between the EU and the EEA!

(Edited to remove double quote; what is wrong with the quote facility?)

Edited by 7by7

UKIPs Farage is a well respected British politician. Even other Westminster politicians respect his views.He is also accepted by the UK media. Your views are old fashioned. If someone sticks up for Britain people like yourself(a diminishing number) immediately shout,"racist propaganda". Did you see the race riots? Do you know about the muslim extremists? Do you know about british girls being molested and raped by these fanatics? Do you know about the Pedeophile gangs? Do you know about the "british soldiers go to hell" chanting. Come into the real world man and forget your poor little east european roadsweepers.Many of the expats from the UK came to Thailand to escape from all this and get away from communists like you and your cronies.

super22k,

I would suggest that as you live in Chiang Mai whereas I actually live just outside the M25 in a town which has, in my lifetime, always had a large immigrant population from all over the world, and as I spend most of my working life in London then I am more aware of the realities of life in the UK than you are in your cosy retreat in Chiang Mai garnering your knowledge of current affairs in the UK, based on your posts, from the Daily Mail online!

You are happy to improve your life by living in a foreign country but seem to hate the idea of others doing the same by moving to the UK!

Some facts for you:

......as of February 2011 there were 371,000 people claiming DWP working age benefits who were non-UK nationals when they first registered for a National Insurance Number, of these 258,000 were non-EEA nationals.........

..........As at February 2011, over 5 and a half million people were claiming DWP working age benefits. Of these 371 thousand (6%) are estimated to have been non-UK nationals when they first registered for a NINo............

.........Across all DWP working age benefits, 25% of those claimants who were non-UK nationals at the time they first registered for a NINo were from within the European Union..(from the DWP)

25% of 6%; 1.5% of the total, hardly a massive figure!

You should also read Migrant crime wave a myth - police study

The recent riots in London and elsewhere were motivated mainly by greed, nothing to do with race.

There are some Muslim extremists in the UK, true. But they are unrepresentative and the vast majority of Muslims in the UK condemn them.

British girls being raped by 'these fanatics?' Where did you get that from?

'Pedophile gangs?' I didn't know Savile and his ilk were from Eastern Europe, nor was he Muslim, I understand.

'British soldiers go to hell chanting?' See 'Muslim fanatics' above.

As for Forage being 'a well respected British politician;' you are either joking or really do know nothing about life in the UK!

• Like 1

I am getting bored with this,but yes I do live in Chiang Mai but I lived and worked in central London for 35 years and I have traveled in Europe and lived in Egypt for 1 year so I have been around a bit.

Look,we can throw statistics at each other for ever. People can see what is happening with their own eyes.They just need to walk down their main street to see what is going on. David Cameron in a speech admitted that mass immigration into Britain is a failure. What more do you want?

I was going to suggest you start writing comedy scripts but I think that is too cruel and I withdraw it.I do not think we will ever agree. But I wish you good luck and happiness.

David Cameron in a speech admitted that mass immigration into Britain is a failure. What more do you want?

Labour went so far as to say it was misshandled too. The problem is not immigration but MASS immigration. The school system was overwhelmed as was local healthcare. One only has to look at Malmo, Sweeden and Marseille, France for example.
  • Like 1

I've been reading here for some months now, was going to start a newcomers thread saying hello then I've read this about Russians. There are many and people have different ideas about their behaviour and the fact that they bring their own girlfriends and wives with them. Personally I found them no worse than most visitors to Pattaya or Samui.

I've been reading here for some months now, was going to start a newcomers thread saying hello then I've read this about Russians. There are many and people have different ideas about their behaviour and the fact that they bring their own girlfriends and wives with them. Personally I found them no worse than most visitors to Pattaya or Samui.

I was wondering about this, i.e., whether Russian blokes were getting fleeced by enterprising bargirls. Haven't heard too many stories. But if it's true that they're mostly bringing their own, what exactly is the attraction of Pattaya or Phuket? Perhaps they're really coming for the weather and the beaches.

I was wondering about this, i.e., whether Russian blokes were getting fleeced by enterprising bargirls. Haven't heard too many stories. But if it's true that they're mostly bringing their own, what exactly is the attraction of Pattaya or Phuket? Perhaps they're really coming for the weather and the beaches.

Before this thread gets locked for inappropriate comments, I fully agree. Let's be honest here, what is the attraction in these places if you aren't a s*x tourist? It's not as if those places are well known for anything else.