Suvarnabhumi Ranks No 6 On World's Best Airport List

webfact

good for Suvarnabhumi.

and good to see how the Chinese dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list.

haters gonna hate.

You must be Chinese

You have a problem with him if he were?

While I personally dislike Suvarnabhumi Airport myself, I will admit that I have travelled through much worse airports.

What I don't understand is why so many long time residents here seem to hate everything about this country that they are living in. So what if Swampy is ranked 6th in the world? What does it matter? If you disagree, why must you express such disbelief? Why not just keep quiet and let it slide? Do you really have so much free time on your hand?

its called freedom of speech. arguing, debating and thrashing each other online is one thing, but asking one to be quiet and let it slide despite disagreeing? are you trying to deny the efforts by the millions of folks who died fighting for the freedom of speech? are you a pro communist? your post is ridiculous and have you not realized you are the first in this thread to begin the typical forum personal attacks

Whew, at least you're not into hyperbole! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The results shown below have been extracted from the Global Airport Rankings in the World Airport Awards, to demonstrate the relative performance for each airport, according to the numbers of passengers handled on an annual basis.

over 50 million passengers

Best Airports by "size of Airport" - airports handling more than 50 million passengers annually

Global Rating

1 Hong Kong International Airport

2 Beijing Capital International Airport

3 London Heathrow Airport

4 Tokyo International Airport Haneda

5 Frankfurt Main Airport

6 Dubai International Airport

7 Denver International Airport

8 Dallas/Ft Worth Airport

9 Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Int'l Airport

10 Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport

Design is great...!!,...i have worked on industrial sites that were better designed/finished, whats wil the stainless steel scaffold boards for walk ways to the car park...its a very "sterile place, it got no soul as a building

In reality...SUV would actually rank a bit higher if the international community knew how to pronounce the name in English properly....it should be short catching name....for someone who travels mention the name Changi, in previous years Kai tak...and you didnt even have to mention the country...but what do we have in Thailand...."Suvarnabhumi" whose spelling bares no resemblance to how you actually say it...swannna...p.......ah xxxx it...Bangkok international airport.....they could get creative and call it....."Heeello...hansom man..wellcom"

biggrin.png

I agree.. I think they should just change the name officially to Swampy Airport.. that's what most foreigners call it anyway!

The only good name it could have -----RAMA 9 International Airport. BKK

then the usual complainer and the tourists would have the problem that everyone in Thailand pronounces RAMA as Phra Ram

The results shown below have been extracted from the Global Airport Rankings in the World Airport Awards, to demonstrate the relative performance for each airport, according to the numbers of passengers handled on an annual basis.

over 50 million passengers

Best Airports by "size of Airport" - airports handling more than 50 million passengers annually

Global Rating

1 Hong Kong International Airport

2 Beijing Capital International Airport

3 London Heathrow Airport

4 Tokyo International Airport Haneda

5 Frankfurt Main Airport

the ranking in the op comes from the Airports Council International.

there are probably dozens of other rankings from various other organizations.

I agree.. I think they should just change the name officially to Swampy Airport.. that's what most foreigners call it anyway!

never heard anyone call it "Swampy Airport".

Suppose you are joking--come on --do you live here ??? I'm sorry but if you live here you must be a prisoner in some Thai rural house.

Have you ever spoken to any farangs here ?? Most Thais only would say they have never heard of it.

foreigner i know are young urban professionals and are polite and don't speak gangsta slang or low-class language but use the proper words for it.

Look my friend I am stating that MOST call it Swampy, because it was built on re-claimed cobra-swamp land, hence the name.

It's NOWT to do with lower class talk--it is something that is done in all walks of life----farangs--poms Aussies- Yanks-froggies some still call Thailand SIAM, Burma- relax and enjoy If booking I say Suvarnaphumi--talking to other foreigners I will call it Swampy.

• Like 1

Suppose you are joking--come on --do you live here ??? I'm sorry but if you live here you must be a prisoner in some Thai rural house.

Have you ever spoken to any farangs here ?? Most Thais only would say they have never heard of it.

foreigner i know are young urban professionals and are polite and don't speak gangsta slang or low-class language but use the proper words for it.

No idea why you find Old Swampy so offensive ...........If you actually understood Foreigners ,then you might even see it as an affectionate term , not unlike New York being referred to as the Big Apple .

• Like 2

Strangely enough, I do live and work here and the farangs I work with who also don't speak gangsta slang or low-class language...all call the place swampy as well when talking amongst themselves, and even some of the Thai lads I work with have picked up habit as well, obviously not when they are speaking Thai...wink.png

• Like 1

I'm going to see if I can get a job on these surveys because it's apparent those doing it don't do much - wonder if the money is kin to getting uncle Charlem in handing our feasibility studies. At 10m a pop it's worth scribbling a few meaningless sentences together.

from skytrax the most prestigious brand associated with the recognition and reviews of air travel standards worldwide, has recently released the annual report of the World Airline Awards and World Airport Awards

Incheon International Airport

Singapore Changi Airport

Hong Kong International Airport

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Beijing Capital International Airport

Munich Airport

Zurich Airport

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Vancouver International Airport

Central Japan International Airport

Yes now this list looks more reasonable!

• Like 1

In this so called survey it sounds like they did not even take into the account the actual safety and condition of the run ways it self which Suvarnabhumi has had some problems with even though it is not a very old airport.

is that a joke ? beside the fact that the design is great , this airport is not the most practical. Prices at the duty free are outrageous , when you arrive from long haul you have to walk such a long way to go to immigration , toilets are filthy , immigration is packed ..... I would never put this airport in the top ten airport for sure.

Design is great...!!,...i have worked on industrial sites that were better designed/finished, whats wil the stainless steel scaffold boards for walk ways to the car park...its a very "sterile place, it got no soul as a building

In reality...SUV would actually rank a bit higher if the international community knew how to pronounce the name in English properly....it should be short catching name....for someone who travels mention the name Changi, in previous years Kai tak...and you didnt even have to mention the country...but what do we have in Thailand...."Suvarnabhumi" whose spelling bares no resemblance to how you actually say it...swannna...p.......ah f*kc it...Bangkok international airport.....they could get creative and call it....."Heeello...hansom man..wellcom"

biggrin.png

Never heard it called "Swampy"? Come out from under that bush.

• Like 2

good for Suvarnabhumi.

and good to see how the Chinese dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list.

haters gonna hate.

You must be Chinese

Certainly isn't Singaporean...

Dallas airport: the best for skateboarding to your next destination on long, floors and wide open spaces

De Gualle Airport in Paris: exquisite design, despite the terminal that collapsed a few years ago killing 4 people

JFK: your entrance to NYC, who cares about the design you've just entered the Big Apple

San Francisco airport: lots of artwork supporting gay marriage if you are so inclined

Heathrow Airport: you can hear lots of conversations from other people as you stand and wait in endless lines, it could be entertaining

Narita Airport in Tokyo: There's a Playstation area with free video games for kids or adults, which is like way cool. You will hear almost no advertisements or annoying announcements as people rather silently and peacefully go from place to place, it's the most peaceful airport I've ever been in.

----

I don't know who compiles the lists, but I really like an airport I can rollerblade or skateboard to the next destination, I pick Dallas

is that a joke ? beside the fact that the design is great , this airport is not the most practical. Prices at the duty free are outrageous , when you arrive from long haul you have to walk such a long way to go to immigration , toilets are filthy , immigration is packed ..... I would never put this airport in the top ten airport for sure.

As a frequent user I would rank it as the worst on the planet

I can never pronounce suvarnabhumi properly. And Swampy frankly doesn't sound nice....the very word Swampy seems to imply old, wet and dirty.

Why don't they just rename it Yingluck International Airport....easy to remember and the name sounds winning and lucky. smile.png

• Like 1

from skytrax the most prestigious brand associated with the recognition and reviews of air travel standards worldwide, has recently released the annual report of the World Airline Awards and World Airport Awards

Incheon International Airport

Singapore Changi Airport

Hong Kong International Airport

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Beijing Capital International Airport

Munich Airport

Zurich Airport

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Vancouver International Airport

Central Japan International Airport

Yes now this list looks more reasonable!

This contains airports > 50m which would excluded BKK. Looking at the same source as you use BKK was 10th in 30-50m category and 25th overall.

Couldn't spot one US airport however...

No idea why you find Old Swampy so offensive ...........If you actually understood Foreigners ,then you might even see it as an affectionate term , not unlike New York being referred to as the Big Apple .
i never heard of that foreigners call New York "Big Apple " because they have difficulties to properly pronounce New York.

some might think its funny to call it "swampy". but that kind of humour i would not call witty or very sophisticated.

I can never pronounce suvarnabhumi properly. And Swampy frankly doesn't sound nice....the very word Swampy seems to imply old, wet and dirty.

Why don't they just rename it Yingluck International Airport....easy to remember and the name sounds winning and lucky. smile.png

Yingluck International Airport. Your gateway to Dubai.

• Like 2

good for Suvarnabhumi.

The Chinese DO NOT 'dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list', they dominate A list compiled by such & such 'organisation'. The only thing I see the chinese dominating is the ability to flood the world with a trillions tons of garbage without being embarrassed.

• Like 2

It came 6th for airports with more than 40 mil passengers per year. Chiang Mai came in 4th in the 2 to 5 mil bracket. ACI is a very reputable organisation. Seoul and Singapore is very good from a traveling point , but Seoul is boring for a shopping viewpoint.

I think what iritates most long term expats is the constant aggrandizement and embellishment that is the backbone of the Government.

Many things here a far less efficient than in the West and I for one accept that, however, little is done outside rhetoric and posturing to actually make things better. Thailand has to learn to accept things as they really are and stop pretending that they are better. Perhaps if they channeled some of the energy and cash asorbed by this meaningless nonesense and actually tried to genuinely improve , then there would be less discent . Because I likeThailand does not mean that I am blind to the conditions that prevail and I would dearly love for them to get their act together and bring this nation up to a standard that is commensurate with a developed nation rather than just making claims that it is so.

Completely agree.....and as for TV...grandiose ,out of context, headlines like the one attributed to this thread don't help !

good for Suvarnabhumi.

The Chinese DO NOT 'dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list', they dominate A list compiled by such & such 'organisation'. The only thing I see the chinese dominating is the ability to flood the world with a trillions tons of garbage without being embarrassed.

Of course Chinese dominate the A list. They are very good.

Don't feel embarrassed if your hometown isn't even mentioned on the B or C list.