Suvarnabhumi Ranks No 6 On World's Best Airport List

webfact

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good for Suvarnabhumi.

and good to see how the Chinese dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list.

The Chinese DO NOT 'dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list', they dominate A list compiled by such & such 'organisation'. The only thing I see the chinese dominating is the ability to flood the world with a trillions tons of garbage without being embarrassed.

Of course Chinese dominate the A list. They are very good.

Don't feel embarrassed if your hometown isn't even mentioned on the B or C list.

Ah...could this be .the witty ,sophisticated humour you mentioned in an earlier post ?

• Like 2

good for Suvarnabhumi.

and good to see how the Chinese dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list.

The Chinese DO NOT 'dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list', they dominate A list compiled by such & such 'organisation'. The only thing I see the chinese dominating is the ability to flood the world with a trillions tons of garbage without being embarrassed.

Of course Chinese dominate the A list. They are very good.

Don't feel embarrassed if your hometown isn't even mentioned on the B or C list.

Ah...could this be .the witty ,sophisticated humour you mentioned in an earlier post ?
no. i am not joking. check the op. there is the A list of the top 5 of the world's best airports.

then the usual complainer and the tourists would have the problem that everyone in Thailand pronounces RAMA as Phra Ram

Yes, they probably would complain - although the Thai pronunciation is simply because that is how it is spelled in Thai - I suspect that we use a special Anglicised version as it ignores the actual spelling.

I do think a simplified name is a better idea, as Suvarnabhumi does tend to throw the tourists a little (of course maybe it adds to the experience too) but my original question years ago was "Why not call it by the name the area already had: Cobra Swamp Airport?"

OK maybe that may not sound very nice (swamp), but what about Cobra Lake Airport? Sounds perfectly fine, and gives it a slightly exotic feel at the same time... I guess some of the faint at heart might be scared to come here though...oh well...back to Rama 9 Airport then... any takers?

Oh I also noted that bloody Amsterdam airport is on one of the lists again - Jesus-H-Christ, why the hell is it on a list of the best airports - its OK, but I have travelled through it many times and its nothing out of the box. On a more regional note - how the hell does KL airport get on these lists? OK, its not dirty, but honestly, in comparison with many other international airports, its very average.

I think one of the most user-friendly airports, and regularly winning top spot in many lists, is Changi - easy on almost all fronts, so any time it gets a high ranking, it is well deserved, but some parts are really getting to need a facelift, as they have not changed some of the older parts since I first landed there in about the mid-eighties.

• Like 1

then the usual complainer and the tourists would have the problem that everyone in Thailand pronounces RAMA as Phra Ram

Yes, they probably would complain - although the Thai pronunciation is simply because that is how it is spelled in Thai - I suspect that we use a special Anglicised version as it ignores the actual spelling.

I do think a simplified name is a better idea, as Suvarnabhumi does tend to throw the tourists a little (of course maybe it adds to the experience too) but my original question years ago was "Why not call it by the name the area already had: Cobra Swamp Airport?"

OK maybe that may not sound very nice (swamp), but what about Cobra Lake Airport? Sounds perfectly fine, and gives it a slightly exotic feel at the same time... I guess some of the faint at heart might be scared to come here though...oh well...back to Rama 9 Airport then... any takers?

Oh I also noted that bloody Amsterdam airport is on one of the lists again - Jesus-H-Christ, why the hell is it on a list of the best airports - its OK, but I have travelled through it many times and its nothing out of the box. On a more regional note - how the hell does KL airport get on these lists? OK, its not dirty, but honestly, in comparison with many other international airports, its very average.

I think one of the most user-friendly airports, and regularly winning top spot in many lists, is Changi - easy on almost all fronts, so any time it gets a high ranking, it is well deserved, but some parts are really getting to need a facelift, as they have not changed some of the older parts since I first landed there in about the mid-eighties.

As my post said Rama 9 out of respect for our ailing reveered king. They have Roads named Rama 5 etc but the airport name will never be changed with a farangs suggestion, you have to put it to Thais and give them the Idea they thought of it.

Please mods I just wanted to speak about new news today--Samoa is to charge the air ticket by how much the passenger weighs Good idea ?? sorry for this slightly off topic part.

Suvarhnabhumi is terrible.

Arrival from a long haul flight - deplane and onto hot busses packed for a long ride to the terminal

Long walk to immigration in poorly lit, poorly signed, often hot/humid terminal

Duty free prices are never compelling

Get through immigration

Bagage carousel gets stuck and stalls many times needing repeated human intervention

Now, with bagage retrieved, time to avoid the limousine and taxi scams and other scams awaiting you

Get to Taxi maybe he'll put on the meter (if you look like a veteran of TH) or maybe he won't (if you look like a newbie)

It's a rather crap airport. This is one where the Thais most certainly do deserve the criticism. I've been to only a few worse airports.

The ONLY thing that is nice really is all the Thai women walking around.

Edited by PaullyW

Are we sure the list is not for 'Asia's best airports'? Either way, congrats to China's airports.

This whole report sucks...! Go and read the comments on Beijing Airport ...!! Pffffff!! Xxxx hole it is and I know because I have to fly through that airport next month with a 9 hour layover and I have googled it and read up on it... it is one of the worst airports in the world and Swampi in my opinion is still better than that from what I have read!.... What rubbish all these reports are ////

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

As my post said Rama 9 out of respect for our ailing reveered king. They have Roads named Rama 5 etc but the airport name will never be changed with a farangs suggestion, you have to put it to Thais and give them the Idea they thought of it.

Please mods I just wanted to speak about new news today--Samoa is to charge the air ticket by how much the passenger weighs Good idea ?? sorry for this slightly off topic part.

The issue is that the gap between how its transcribed in latin letters and how it is pronounced is in case of RAMA even bigger than as it it the case for Suvarnabhumi or Centran.

and yes, they should charge by passenger weight. good idea.

good for Suvarnabhumi.

I agree mostly, but the Beijing Airport is rather beautiful in my opinion. Massive too.

I'm impressed by how Changi manage to to be in a top spot in every ranking made. It's one of the oldest airports around, but they did everything correct from the start and have extended and maintained continuously. And in spite of all the extensions it still gives a homogenous impression.

Well done Singapore.

• Like 1

Is there any airport with a room with yoga mats? Airport authorities don't know this (or don't care), but many travelers would love to have a space to stretch. Granted, mats would probably also be used by snoozers, but there are ways around that - or simply accommodate snoozers. Indeed, there are several low-cost ways to improve airports, but creative thinking isn't developers' forte.

There is a pseudo natural space at Suwanboom. I had some time to kill and spent some time there. Not too bad, but not so good either. At least they made the effort to have a smidgen of something natural amid a cavern of metal and glass.

Edited by maidu

So, good 'old' swampy is 6 out of 19 in the category over 40m passengers / year in the list by a certain organisation. From comments here I gather the list has as much value as any of the poll results some of our local organisations produce.

My original hometown is missing in any of the airport lists, but then I must admit there no airport within a 25 km range :-)

Yes, these airports are all better than the US airports in many ways. But, com'mon, guys.

The US gave us the planes / airports and have some of the oldest airports in the world.

Also, the US was not recently of the ambition to use wonderfully pretty airports to enhance the country's image or attract tourists. US needs neither. Reasons for everything, guys.

I guarantee you people will not stop visiting New York because JFK Int Airport is one of the worst in the world... Neither will those crappy US airports change much in the way of opinions educated, well-traveled people have of the US.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Yes, these airports are all better than the US airports in many ways. But, com'mon, guys.

The US gave us the planes / airports and have some of the oldest airports in the world.

Also, the US was not recently of the ambition to use wonderfully pretty airports to enhance the country's image or attract tourists. US needs neither. Reasons for everything, guys.

I guarantee you people will not stop visiting New York because JFK Int Airport is one of the worst in the world... Neither will those crappy US airports change much in the way of opinions educated, well-traveled people have of the US.

Cheers,

Well seeing as I am in a pedantic mood this evening

Believe the worlds first commerical airport was in Paris, and the worlds first passenger airline was german, if memory serves in 1909 ish...granted the first passenger airlines were Zeppelin's, which obvious became famous a bit later for busting in flames....biggrin.png .. and think is was an airport in the UK that had the first ATC...

• Like 1

Cheers,

Well seeing as I am in a pedantic mood this evening

Believe the worlds first commerical airport was in Paris, and the worlds first passenger airline was german, if memory serves in 1909 ish...granted the first passenger airlines were Zeppelin's, which obvious became famous a bit later for busting in flames....biggrin.png .. and think is was an airport in the UK that had the first ATC...

Ah, yes, but it was the Wright Brothers (I know it is disputed as are many other important global inventions) who did much of the work. smile.png

Edited by PaullyW

Having been part of the Air Trafiiic Control Master Planning of the the then new Hong Kong International Airport, and the implementation of ATC facilities and operation for Kuala Lumpur International Airport here are my comments:

If you are concerned about ATC safety and efficiency then dont be. Aerothai provide these serices in Thailand and are safe and efficient, and are one of the best Air Traffic Services providers in the region.

As far as the passenger terminal design and efficiency are concerned (speaking only as a passenger) , Changi and Incheon are better, but BKK is not too bad. The only significant design problem is the space after leaving the customs area and exiting the terminalo - far too congested.

I agree about the name - almost unprouncable by farangs. Why not just call it Bangkok International Airport? Thats what Don Muang was called.

The only other gripe I have is that aircraft still park at remote stands (those where you need a bus to get to the terminal), even after Air Asia and others had moved to DMK. On a recent TG flight from Kuala Lumpur arriving at 2 PM on a Saturday afternoon, we parked at a remote stand, and all poassengers including the elderly, small children, pregnant ladies etc had to use stairs - and a B777 300 is a long way above the ground. This procedure was not only inconvenient but was dangerous for some passengers. To make things worse, I counted 13 vacant stands at the terminal building where aerobridges could have been used - and these were only the ones I could see from the bus. This could be a TG problem - but it needs fixing no matter who is responsible.

The other consideration is designing the terminal building to look good from the outside. This started with Denver, where the roof was made to look like snowy mountains. BKK tries too look like - what? Who gives a hoot what it looks like from the outside - its what happens inside that counts. Changi looks like a big box but wo cares. Remember its the passenger or taxpayer who ultimately pays for expensive and unneceassary over design.

Otherwise BKK is not too bad but not too good either compared with the others. It works OK is the best that can be said.

Edited by metisdead
Font
  • Like 1

Having been part of the Air Trafiiic Control Master Planning of the the then new Hong Kong International Airport, and the implementation of ATC facilities and operation for Kuala Lumpur International Airport here are my comments:

If you are concerned about ATC safety and efficiency then dont be. Aerothai provide these serices in Thailand and are safe and efficient, and are one of the best Air Traffic Services providers in the region.

As far as the passenger terminal design and efficiency are concerned (speaking only as a passenger) , Changi and Incheon are better, but BKK is not too bad. The only significant design problem is the space after leaving the customs area and exiting the terminalo - far too congested.

I agree about the name - almost unprouncable by farangs. Why not just call it Bangkok International Airport? Thats what Don Muang was called.

The only other gripe I have is that aircraft still park at remote stands (those where you need a bus to get to the terminal), even after Air Asia and others had moved to DMK. On a recent TG flight from Kuala Lumpur arriving at 2 PM on a Saturday afternoon, we parked at a remote stand, and all poassengers including the elderly, small children, pregnant ladies etc had to use stairs - and a B777 300 is a long way above the ground. This procedure was not only inconvenient but was dangerous for some passengers. To make things worse, I counted 13 vacant stands at the terminal building where aerobridges could have been used - and these were only the ones I could see from the bus. This could be a TG problem - but it needs fixing no matter who is responsible.

The other consideration is designing the terminal building to look good from the outside. This started with Denver, where the roof was made to look like snowy mountains. BKK tries too look like - what? Who gives a hoot what it looks like from the outside - its what happens inside that counts. Changi looks like a big box but wo cares. Remember its the passenger or taxpayer who ultimately pays for expensive and unneceassary over design.

Otherwise BKK is not too bad but not too good either compared with the others. It works OK is the best that can be said.

You haven't noticed how it is often hot and humid and the extremely poor lighting. I'm not being purposefully argumentative here in saying that it certainly lets people know they have entered or are leaving an underdeveloped country.

My wife's father, a Thai university professor, told me that Suvarnabhumi was actually never finished. Is that true?

As far as looking 'good' from the outside, to each his/her own personal aesthetic preference, but I think it looks rather cheap and awful. Looks like a cheap tent, like the ones they setup when the the country flooded recently.

Edited by PaullyW

Cheers,

God bless America for educating us all!thumbsup.gif

• Like 1