Suvarnabhumi Ranks No 6 On World's Best Airport List

webfact

[The only other gripe I have is that aircraft still park at remote stands (those where you need a bus to get to the terminal), even after Air Asia and others had moved to DMK. On a recent TG flight from Kuala Lumpur arriving at 2 PM on a Saturday afternoon, we parked at a remote stand, and all poassengers including the elderly, small children, pregnant ladies etc had to use stairs - and a B777 300 is a long way above the ground. This procedure was not only inconvenient but was dangerous for some passengers. To make things worse, I counted 13 vacant stands at the terminal building where aerobridges could have been used - and these were only the ones I could see from the bus. This could be a TG problem - but it needs fixing no matter who is responsible.

I stand to be corrected, but isnt more to do with the individual airlines themselves being too cheap ar*e to park at the sky bridges cos they get charged more for the privilage ?

• Like 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good for Suvarnabhumi.

and good to see how the Chinese dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list.

haters gonna hate.

The second OP did qualify the survey. Size does matter.

If China is in the top 5 I am puzzled. They must be the most rude of all I have been to. I have been to the northern United States airports and they are really bad about being rude.

I agree.. I think they should just change the name officially to Swampy Airport.. that's what most foreigners call it anyway!

never heard anyone call it "Swampy Airport".

Suppose you are joking--come on --do you live here ??? I'm sorry but if you live here you must be a prisoner in some Thai rural house.

Have you ever spoken to any farangs here ?? Most Thais only would say they have never heard of it.

foreigner i know are young urban professionals and are polite and don't speak gangsta slang or low-class language but use the proper words for it.

I don't call it Swampy either but if you've been on here any length of time you'll have heard it used a lot.

Yes, these airports are all better than the US airports in many ways. But, com'mon, guys.

The US gave us the planes / airports and have some of the oldest airports in the world.

Also, the US was not recently of the ambition to use wonderfully pretty airports to enhance the country's image or attract tourists. US needs neither. Reasons for everything, guys.

I guarantee you people will not stop visiting New York because JFK Int Airport is one of the worst in the world... Neither will those crappy US airports change much in the way of opinions educated, well-traveled people have of the US.

Cheers,

God bless America for educating us all!thumbsup.gif
yes, lot of good information i didn't know before.

Having been part of the Air Trafiiic Control Master Planning of the the then new Hong Kong International Airport, and the implementation of ATC facilities and operation for Kuala Lumpur International Airport here are my comments:

If you are concerned about ATC safety and efficiency then dont be. Aerothai provide these serices in Thailand and are safe and efficient, and are one of the best Air Traffic Services providers in the region.

As far as the passenger terminal design and efficiency are concerned (speaking only as a passenger) , Changi and Incheon are better, but BKK is not too bad. The only significant design problem is the space after leaving the customs area and exiting the terminalo - far too congested.

I agree about the name - almost unprouncable by farangs. Why not just call it Bangkok International Airport? Thats what Don Muang was called.

The only other gripe I have is that aircraft still park at remote stands (those where you need a bus to get to the terminal), even after Air Asia and others had moved to DMK. On a recent TG flight from Kuala Lumpur arriving at 2 PM on a Saturday afternoon, we parked at a remote stand, and all poassengers including the elderly, small children, pregnant ladies etc had to use stairs - and a B777 300 is a long way above the ground. This procedure was not only inconvenient but was dangerous for some passengers. To make things worse, I counted 13 vacant stands at the terminal building where aerobridges could have been used - and these were only the ones I could see from the bus. This could be a TG problem - but it needs fixing no matter who is responsible.

The other consideration is designing the terminal building to look good from the outside. This started with Denver, where the roof was made to look like snowy mountains. BKK tries too look like - what? Who gives a hoot what it looks like from the outside - its what happens inside that counts. Changi looks like a big box but wo cares. Remember its the passenger or taxpayer who ultimately pays for expensive and unneceassary over design.

Otherwise BKK is not too bad but not too good either compared with the others. It works OK is the best that can be said.

You haven't noticed how it is often hot and humid and the extremely poor lighting. I'm not being purposefully argumentative here in saying that it certainly lets people know they have entered or are leaving an underdeveloped country.

My wife's father, a Thai university professor, told me that Suvarnabhumi was actually never finished. Is that true?

As far as looking 'good' from the outside, to each his/her own personal aesthetic preference, but I think it looks rather cheap and awful. Looks like a cheap tent, like the ones they setup when the the country flooded recently.

"Aerothai provide these serices in Thailand and are safe and efficient, and are one of the best Air Traffic Services providers in the region."

This sounds impressive until you look closer at "providers in the region." That says it all.

My wife's father, a Thai university professor, told me that Suvarnabhumi was actually never finished. Is that true?

Have look round there yourself..I would agree with him...stainless steel scaffold boards to walk on to get to car park etc..yes certainly looks like a half finished industrial project...

There was a rumour recently that the architect who designed the building was savaged to death by his guide dog...

• Like 1

Yes, these airports are all better than the US airports in many ways. But, com'mon, guys.

The US gave us the planes / airports and have some of the oldest airports in the world.

Also, the US was not recently of the ambition to use wonderfully pretty airports to enhance the country's image or attract tourists. US needs neither. Reasons for everything, guys.

I guarantee you people will not stop visiting New York because JFK Int Airport is one of the worst in the world... Neither will those crappy US airports change much in the way of opinions educated, well-traveled people have of the US.

Cheers,

yes, lot of good information i didn't know before.

Yes and it came from a man with a maple leaf painted on his face!clap2.gif

While I personally dislike Suvarnabhumi Airport myself, I will admit that I have travelled through much worse airports.

What I don't understand is why so many long time residents here seem to hate everything about this country that they are living in. So what if Swampy is ranked 6th in the world? What does it matter? If you disagree, why must you express such disbelief? Why not just keep quiet and let it slide? Do you really have so much free time on your hand?

its called freedom of speech. arguing, debating and thrashing each other online is one thing, but asking one to be quiet and let it slide despite disagreeing? are you trying to deny the efforts by the millions of folks who died fighting for the freedom of speech? are you a pro communist? your post is ridiculous and have you not realized you are the first in this thread to begin the typical forum personal attacks

I considered responding but to a noob, why bother.

Cheers,

Haters gonna hate.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Haters gonna hate.

More up to date information from the Maple Leaf man

I rather like Swampy. Been through there numerous times since it opened. Never had a problem. Staff appear to be well trained and friendly, apart from the occassionaly immigration officer, but that is common problem everywhere. I am guessing that most of the negative posters here have had little international travel experience and have not been to a great number of other foriegn airports apart from the one they left to arrive at Swampy on their way to Pattaya. Lighten up and look at the sunshine. Cheers.

• Like 2

Having been part of the Air Trafiiic Control Master Planning of the the then new Hong Kong International Airport, and the implementation of ATC facilities and operation for Kuala Lumpur International Airport here are my comments:

If you are concerned about ATC safety and efficiency then dont be. Aerothai provide these serices in Thailand and are safe and efficient, and are one of the best Air Traffic Services providers in the region.

As far as the passenger terminal design and efficiency are concerned (speaking only as a passenger) , Changi and Incheon are better, but BKK is not too bad. The only significant design problem is the space after leaving the customs area and exiting the terminalo - far too congested.

I agree about the name - almost unprouncable by farangs. Why not just call it Bangkok International Airport? Thats what Don Muang was called.

The only other gripe I have is that aircraft still park at remote stands (those where you need a bus to get to the terminal), even after Air Asia and others had moved to DMK. On a recent TG flight from Kuala Lumpur arriving at 2 PM on a Saturday afternoon, we parked at a remote stand, and all poassengers including the elderly, small children, pregnant ladies etc had to use stairs - and a B777 300 is a long way above the ground. This procedure was not only inconvenient but was dangerous for some passengers. To make things worse, I counted 13 vacant stands at the terminal building where aerobridges could have been used - and these were only the ones I could see from the bus. This could be a TG problem - but it needs fixing no matter who is responsible.

The other consideration is designing the terminal building to look good from the outside. This started with Denver, where the roof was made to look like snowy mountains. BKK tries too look like - what? Who gives a hoot what it looks like from the outside - its what happens inside that counts. Changi looks like a big box but wo cares. Remember its the passenger or taxpayer who ultimately pays for expensive and unneceassary over design.

Otherwise BKK is not too bad but not too good either compared with the others. It works OK is the best that can be said.

You haven't noticed how it is often hot and humid and the extremely poor lighting. I'm not being purposefully argumentative here in saying that it certainly lets people know they have entered or are leaving an underdeveloped country.

As far as looking 'good' from the outside, to each his/her own personal aesthetic preference, but I think it looks rather cheap and awful. Looks like a cheap tent, like the ones they setup when the the country flooded recently.

The only thing that was not finished was in the original plan was all the concrete inside surfaces were to be painted white. Unfortunately, it was noticed that a food hall area had been left out of the domestic departure area, so the cost of the paint went to constructing that extra area.

Almost without doubt, I would say I have traveled through more airports than most members of this forum. (roughly 120 odd). I have also constructed projects in all of those airports. Suvarnabhumi is perhaps not the best at some points, but actually on overall scores I would rate it in the top ten easily.

Another fake meaningless ranking..Swampy number 6 in the world.laugh.pngbiggrin.png

that's called self congratulation or auto satisfaction , nothing else

Never have I known a people more prone to slapping themselves on the back and taking credit for the most insignificant things. The sign of small minds is the need to constant self-gratification.

This survey must have been done from 40,000 ft while flying over these airports!

The survey used must also be based ex China as no real traveller would rate the Shanghai and Guangdong airports highly at all!

Complete rubbish!

wow if Suvarnabhumi ranks 6 in the world - then the world needs better airports

Right on!! there has gotta be a lot of shyt airports out there.

For my money Changi is the best, and Dubai, Istanbul, Heathrow, Incheon, Soekarno Hatta are all better (even Invercargill is better cheesy.gif )

Swampy is a great airport, recently my flight s always arrived just the to immigration.. Fast, clean, good restaurants. No comparison to old Amsterdam-Schiphol. Munich is OK, provided connecting flight is nearby, or else you can expect a half-mile walk, same at Frankfurt or Paris CDG. Heathrow is worst, as most of us would agree.SIN, HKG, PEK and CAN fully merit the rank, but Seoul seems to have been forgotten.

Whilst I am not sure how this place gets ranked 6th, I do believe that there have been vast improvements in the service over the years. I travel through the airport at least twice a month for the past 3 years and the waiting time in immigration has been reduced significantly. Functional, not only free, wifi would make life easier as 3G internet access on phones is useless.

Food outlets are on par with many other airports, generally over priced. The design does mean that it is a long walk from many of the gates to immigration, unless of course you fly Thai Airways where you always seem to be transferred by bus from the plane....and that is a full fare airline.

I for one have no real complaints against Swampy, but ranked number 6, I don't think so.

Never really cared about ratings from anyone, make my own mind up, and as a traveller from Australia and Brisbane International Airport in particular, think Suvarnabhumi is a top notch airport, so disagee with most posters here.

The only thing I dislike is the bus courier from the planes, otherwise have never ever had a problem with anything there, in fact I really like it.

Maybe its because I am a farang who can pronounce the name correctly, it took me almost a minute to learn how to do that, so I am patient.

• Like 2

Never really cared about ratings from anyone, make my own mind up, and as a traveller from Australia and Brisbane International Airport in particular, think Suvarnabhumi is a top notch airport, so disagee with most posters here.

The only thing I dislike is the bus courier from the planes, otherwise have never ever had a problem with anything there, in fact I really like it.

Maybe its because I am a farang who can pronounce the name correctly, it took me almost a minute to learn how to do that, so I am patient.

I am confused, so your saying you like it because you can pronounce the name correctly, so therefore your better than other farangs and more at one with your Thainess ?

Swampy is an ok airport...its certainly not top notch..top 15 maybe

I am guessing that most of the negative posters here have had little international travel experience and have not been to a great number of other foriegn airports apart from the one they left to arrive at Swampy on their way to Pattaya.

Or alternatively they have travelled a lot internationally and hence the negative comments...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I am confused, so your saying you like it because you can pronounce the name correctly, so therefore your better than other farangs and more at one with your Thainess ?

Swampy is an ok airport...its certainly not top notch..top 15 maybe

Yes, you are confused.

I am saying I like it because I have never had a problem there, and maybe comparing it with Brisbane, and also lightheartedly suggesting that people who have been saying they have a problem with pronouncing the name have probably never bothered to try.

And do not suggest that I am trying to say that I am better than anyone else. Understand?

Let's list the strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths :

• Drop off is easy. International, Domestic, all in the same place makes navigation easier
  • It has 7-11
  • The foodcourt in the bottom right when facing the airport is your typical thai foodcourt.. Funny how it's so hidden from your typical traveller, but every Thai knows about it.
  • There's a ton of hot chicks walking around

Weaknesses

• It can't support all the BKK traffic, so they still need Don Muang
  • The Bus transports people have mentioned
  • Dining selections
  • no free wifi
  • Domestic terminal waiting areas are secluded, no shopping nearby, etc
  • getting around with luggage is HORRENDOUS
  • The aesthetics are a bit gaudy and sterile (my opinion)
  • The train to the airport requires a taxi connection
  • It's not in BKK
  • That temporary wall in front of the passport check/immigration has got to be another lack of foresight

It's not so much that the airport is completely awful, it's that it was built in this century, and they still didn't get everything right... If it was 50 years old, and they were still trying to get by with it, it'd be one thing.. The fact that it was recently built and designed, and it's a major flop by most peoples account's is kind of a travesty.

Are we sure the list is not for 'Asia's best airports'? Either way, congrats to China's airports.

This whole report sucks...! Go and read the comments on Beijing Airport ...!! Pffffff!! Xxxx hole it is and I know because I have to fly through that airport next month with a 9 hour layover and I have googled it and read up on it... it is one of the worst airports in the world and Swampi in my opinion is still better than that from what I have read!.... What rubbish all these reports are ////

Just asking . . . so, you KNOW it is a xxxx airport because you have to use it next month . . . or are you just itching to tell us that you booked a flight which makes you stop-over for 9 hours?

Neither makes you look or sound credible, sorry. whistling.gif No offense intended

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 1

Actually, things have become better. As far as airports go, Suvarnabhumi is okay. Immigration can still be a long wait but I have seen worse. From the others I've seen listed and discussed, here, I would much rather go through Suvarnabhumi than DFW, Atlanta, Frankfurt, or Heathrow. I do think I prefer KL because it's not so crowded and Incheon is very nice, as long as you aren't worried about the lunatics to the north shooting you down on take-off or landing. Narita is also easy to navigate through. And that fishbowl they use for passport control on connecting flights only looks intimidating, because the lines move very quickly.