Phuket Immigration Task Force Targetting Foreigners Nabs Russian

webfact

Phuket Immigration task force targetting foreigners nabs Russian
Phuket Gazette

ru.jpg
Natalia Nikiforova, 30, from Russia was charged with working illegally and with illegally entering the country. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Phuket Immigration officers yesterday arrested a Russian woman caught without a passport and working illegally selling tours at a kiosk in Kata.

Officers led by Capt Angkarn Yasanop arrested Natalia Nikiforova, 30, after an officer pretended to be interested in some of the tours on offer at the Rus Info tour counter on Kata Road.

“She explained the tours to us in detail. We asked to see her passport and work permit, but she did not have her passport with her and she could not to tell us where it was. She also could not present her work permit,” Capt Angkarn explained.

“We also asked how long she had been selling tours, but she did not give us any further information about herself,” he added.

Ms Nikiforova was charged with working illegally and with illegally entering the country.

“We handed her over to Karon Police to prosecute,” Capt Angkarn said.

The raid yesterday was conducted by a task force of about 20 immigration officers who have been ordered to crack down on transnational crime, including human and drug trafficking.

They have also been ordered to target foreigners working illegally or who have illegally entered the country.

The crackdown, ordered by Phuket Immigration chief Sunchai Chokkajaykij, began on April 1 and is to end on April 8.

“We have received many complaints from Thais accusing foreigners of stealing their jobs,” Col Sunchai said.

“We will work together with officers from police stations around the island to set up checkpoints and patrol specific areas, especially areas popular with tourists,” he explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Immigration-task-force-targetting-foreigners-nabs-Russian-20696.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-05

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, those naughty Russians, speaking Russian to Russian tourists. What is this place coming to?

She is working for a tourcompany, and has been doing so for quite a few years already. So she should have been able to get a workpermit long time ago. Nothing to do with language, only with working legally.

• Like 1

Ooh, those naughty Russians, speaking Russian to Russian tourists. What is this place coming to?

She is working for a tourcompany, and has been doing so for quite a few years already. So she should have been able to get a workpermit long time ago. Nothing to do with language, only with working legally.

Please don't pick holes in the logic of my flippant comments.

biggrin.png

Sorry :)

• Like 2

if I was a Russian tour operator I would remove phuket or Thailand as dream destination , what would be the lost if all Russian stopped to come to Thailand ? As it doesn't exist with other nationalities.

What a great idea - don't supose they could also remove Pattaya as a dream destination and stop them all coming

This is the 3rd recent incident (off the top of my head) where a Russian person was unable (unwilling?) to produce a passport. How is it they get into the country in the first place?

fairy dust..... in the land of all things supersticious, it could be a plausible answer

• Like 1

I believe that as a foreigner you can get a work permit to be the general manager of a travel agency/tour counter, you are allowed to speak in your own language to the customers, but also there always needs to be a Thai person present to do things like writing out tickets, making phone calls and so on. I remember that a friend of mine who had a travel agency, never could be alone in the office, otherwise the competition would notify the authorities.

no sympathy for the miscreant without proper visa etc, but... "big crackdown" nets one person? is there more to it? moving on - it is apparently linked to Taxi/Tuk Tuk and Tour Guide "organised groups" complaining about Russians in particular.... some form of appeasement? in repayment for?

This is the 3rd recent incident (off the top of my head) where a Russian person was unable (unwilling?) to produce a passport. How is it they get into the country in the first place?

or her passport is doing a visarun by itself at the moment

I believe that as a foreigner you can get a work permit to be the general manager of a travel agency/tour counter, you are allowed to speak in your own language to the customers, but also there always needs to be a Thai person present to do things like writing out tickets, making phone calls and so on. I remember that a friend of mine who had a travel agency, never could be alone in the office, otherwise the competition would notify the authorities.

It's a little bit more tricky to get a work permit. Need a registered Thai company capitalised for 2 million baht, 4 Thai employees all social security and taxes paid, and a number of other obstacles.

• Like 1

It's a little bit more tricky to get a work permit. Need a registered Thai company capitalised for 2 million baht, 4 Thai employees all social security and taxes paid, and a number of other obstacles.

And the 4 Thai "employees" looking how the farang is working?

No thank you!

She didn't work for a travel agent but for a tour operator. Whenever the local travel agents had a customer speaking Russian she came flying in on her motorbike, selling tours from her company.

Aha... I think the biggest joke here is that FOREIGNERS ARE STEALING THAI JOBS... Weely? Since when do thais,do a good job without foreign intervention? 4 Thais 1foreigner in a company. Look at your restaurant. 4 thais to take your order. SAYS IT,ALL.

I thought thailand being a TOURIST destination means foreigners create far more THAI JOBS. Screw these fools. Where are those bananas for the monkeys????

She didn't work for a travel agent but for a tour operator. Whenever the local travel agents had a customer speaking Russian she came flying in on her motorbike, selling tours from her company.

Is the "tour operator" Thai, or Russian?

The open targeting AND reporting of ONLY Russians in relation to work permits in Phuket is racist - even if Russians are the main offenders, the authorities are making it very clear they do not like Russians and do not want them there. What about all the Kiwis, Aussies and Brits all over the country working without permits? I say this because I only ever read about Russians getting their cracks down here, which appears a little one eyed.

I really wish someone in this country (who had the authority to have a voice) stood up to the open racism and xenophobia communicated and demonstrated by the establishment.

When you come to my country, my dearest Thai friends, you can work beside me, you can work above me, or you can work below me - based on your own merits, not your skin color, nor your connections or financial position. How about the same fair deal in your homeland? Do you not love your country enough to share it with those that want to help make it a big success?

Nothing to do with race but nationality.

Thais simply don't like the Russians.

Is the "tour operator" Thai, or Russian?

Russian.

or her passport is doing a visarun by itself at the moment

Maybe on overstay, save the cost of visas and all the time reporting etc.

OK as long as you can get away with it!

The open targeting AND reporting of ONLY Russians in relation to work permits in Phuket is racist - even if Russians are the main offenders, the authorities are making it very clear they do not like Russians and do not want them there. What about all the Kiwis, Aussies and Brits all over the country working without permits? I say this because I only ever read about Russians getting their cracks down here, which appears a little one eyed.

I really wish someone in this country (who had the authority to have a voice) stood up to the open racism and xenophobia communicated and demonstrated by the establishment.

When you come to my country, my dearest Thai friends, you can work beside me, you can work above me, or you can work below me - based on your own merits, not your skin color, nor your connections or financial position. How about the same fair deal in your homeland? Do you not love your country enough to share it with those that want to help make it a big success?

Steven,

On face value, I would tend to agree with you. Unfortunately, my prior experience urges me to disagree in this case. But 5 years or so ago, before the Russian influx, before the Chinese wave, when it was just the Europeans, Americans, and a few Ozzies and Kiwis (and those Malaysian fellows down south happily having a quiet brew in Songai Kolok out of the view of Mr Mathir Mohammed) the same people were shaking down any man with a white face in the English Schools, for exactly the same reason.

Now that many of the English speaking white faces have disappeared, they have started picking on the Ruskies to try to send them back to Mokba (Moscow).

It really does seem, that certain sectors of the Thai society seem to be horrified that anyone that is not Thai, should be allowed to enjoy a high standard of living in Thailand, with funds earnt within the Kingdom.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

Steven,

I would also think so as well. But 5 years or so ago, before the Russian influx, before the Chinese wave, when it was just the Europeans, Americans, and a few Ozzies and Kiwis (and those Malaysian fellows down south happily having a brew in Songai Kolok) the same people were shaking down any man with a white face in the English Schools, for exactly the same reason.

Now that many of the white faces have disappeared, they have started picking on the Ruskies to try to send them back to Mokba (Moscow).

It really does seem, that certain sectors of the Thai society seem to be horrified that anyone that is not Thai, should be allowed to enjoy a high standard of living in Thailand, with funds earnt within the Kingdom.

Don't know if you realise this, but Russians are Caucasians.

• Like 1

There was a report on Thai TV channel 5 regarding the Russians in Phuket and Pattaya.

It appears the authorities are having big problems at those places.

According to this 2-hour report, the Russians are taking over everything, manufacturing of goods, factories, import and export, shops, hotels and guesthouses, travel agents, public transport including taxis, brothels, beer bars, massage parlours and the list went on and on.

They interviewed many high-ranking officers; the woman who is head of the work permits department, who said this is a difficult problem because the Russians are using Thais to front their businesses, council officials and the chief of police. One Thai tour guide who claims to speak fluent Russian having lived and studied in Russia for many years, alleges to have been warned off by the Russian mafia to cease and desist his activities with his Phuket tourist business and is paid off the sum of 800 baht per day to stay out of it.

They interviewed the chief of police of Phuket who promised; he intends to take action and deal with the problem, but the head of the council stated otherwise. He says that once the protests stopped, so went any so-called police action with it. Another aspect of this that I found quite disturbing is that the council official kept referring to these people as farangs and not as Russians, which means whatever these people do, could have repercussions for all of us.

This could be like the song; there maybe trouble ahead.