BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Immigration Task Force Targetting Foreigners Nabs Russian

Phuket Immigration task force targetting foreigners nabs Russian
Phuket Gazette

ru.jpg
Natalia Nikiforova, 30, from Russia was charged with working illegally and with illegally entering the country. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Phuket Immigration officers yesterday arrested a Russian woman caught without a passport and working illegally selling tours at a kiosk in Kata.

Officers led by Capt Angkarn Yasanop arrested Natalia Nikiforova, 30, after an officer pretended to be interested in some of the tours on offer at the Rus Info tour counter on Kata Road.

“She explained the tours to us in detail. We asked to see her passport and work permit, but she did not have her passport with her and she could not to tell us where it was. She also could not present her work permit,” Capt Angkarn explained.

“We also asked how long she had been selling tours, but she did not give us any further information about herself,” he added.

Ms Nikiforova was charged with working illegally and with illegally entering the country.

“We handed her over to Karon Police to prosecute,” Capt Angkarn said.

The raid yesterday was conducted by a task force of about 20 immigration officers who have been ordered to crack down on transnational crime, including human and drug trafficking.

They have also been ordered to target foreigners working illegally or who have illegally entered the country.

The crackdown, ordered by Phuket Immigration chief Sunchai Chokkajaykij, began on April 1 and is to end on April 8.

“We have received many complaints from Thais accusing foreigners of stealing their jobs,” Col Sunchai said.

“We will work together with officers from police stations around the island to set up checkpoints and patrol specific areas, especially areas popular with tourists,” he explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Immigration-task-force-targetting-foreigners-nabs-Russian-20696.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-05

• Like 1

"The crackdown, ordered by Phuket Immigration chief Sunchai Chokkajaykij, began on April 1 and is to end on April 8"

Business as usual after that I guess?

Ooh, those naughty Russians, speaking Russian to Russian tourists. What is this place coming to?

• Like 1

So the ''crackdown'' is for 7 days. The illegals hide for 7 days and the ''crackers'' go back to doing what ? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Ooh, those naughty Russians, speaking Russian to Russian tourists. What is this place coming to?

She is working for a tourcompany, and has been doing so for quite a few years already. So she should have been able to get a workpermit long time ago. Nothing to do with language, only with working legally.

• Like 1

if I was a Russian tour operator I would remove phuket or Thailand as dream destination , what would be the lost if all Russian stopped to come to Thailand ? As it doesn't exist with other nationalities.

She is working for a tourcompany, and has been doing so for quite a few years already. So she should have been able to get a workpermit long time ago. Nothing to do with language, only with working legally.

Please don't pick holes in the logic of my flippant comments.

biggrin.png

Sorry :)

• Like 2

if I was a Russian tour operator I would remove phuket or Thailand as dream destination , what would be the lost if all Russian stopped to come to Thailand ? As it doesn't exist with other nationalities.

What a great idea - don't supose they could also remove Pattaya as a dream destination and stop them all coming

This is the 3rd recent incident (off the top of my head) where a Russian person was unable (unwilling?) to produce a passport. How is it they get into the country in the first place?

fairy dust..... in the land of all things supersticious, it could be a plausible answer

• Like 1

big bust, how many thousands to go,i am sure it will be very difficult to replace her.back to work on mondaycheesy.gif

I believe that as a foreigner you can get a work permit to be the general manager of a travel agency/tour counter, you are allowed to speak in your own language to the customers, but also there always needs to be a Thai person present to do things like writing out tickets, making phone calls and so on. I remember that a friend of mine who had a travel agency, never could be alone in the office, otherwise the competition would notify the authorities.

no sympathy for the miscreant without proper visa etc, but... "big crackdown" nets one person? is there more to it? moving on - it is apparently linked to Taxi/Tuk Tuk and Tour Guide "organised groups" complaining about Russians in particular.... some form of appeasement? in repayment for?