Proper visa for a 1yr stay

Hello I have been reading up on the kingdom of thailand for a number of months now (many many hours) and I found this wonderful forum yesterday, I have already learned alot.I have read the postings on 1- 8 pages under the first section Thai visas, residency and work permits. Tring to find the answers to all my visa questions. I found most of them.I would be pleased if someone would confirm that my conclusions are accurate. I am hopeing at the end of the year I will be able to travel to thailand and if I do I would like to stay for 1 yr. Today I called the S. Florida honerary royal thai consulate in Miami USA.(local call) The person I spoke with was a bit hard to understand. She said I could get a multiable re-entry visa if I were formally invited to visit by letter from a thai citizen who would agree to back me up financially. I presume this would be a non-img.0 visa? What does the 0 stand for? After each 60 days I can apply for the 30 day extention totaling four 90 day stays? My trades are marine mechanics , commercial diving and the seafood trade, however, I would probably not be looking for work I would have ample funds for the stay. What internet sites or software would best help me in learning basic thai? My understanding is for a retirement visa one would need both 800,000 Baht in the bank and 65,000 b income per month. Lastly are there any lobsters native to the local coastal waters?

Marshy :o

Class "O" 'other' is a catch all for those not fitting normal visa categories.  It would allow 90 days each time you enter country.  Thai is a very hard language to speak correctly due to the tones.  Add the new alphabet and there are not many able to master it.  Your best bet would be to join a group at the local Wat (believe there is still one located in South Miami or Homestead) as don't believe most people would have much luck with home or internet study.  Perhaps someone who has been able to do it will correct me on this?  Retirement is 800k or 65k per month.  There are lobsters but not too many these days and not the flavor of down-east Maine.