Phuket: Kata/karon Tuk-Tuk Drivers: ' We Will Block The Road'

webfact

As it is at the moment, it's a total farce.

You choose to take the bus from the airport which dumps you off at Ban Zaan markets [on the side of the muddy road,/dustbowl when not wet!! i presume] where you will be surrounded by the tuk-tuk vultures.and face near the same scenario as arriving at the airport where the taxi vultures are waiting..

If you are travelling with minimal baggage, and your accomodation is nearby, you can walk..OK this can work, but in reality for what % of travellers?

If you are out of walking distance and or have a lot of/heavy baggage you are at their mercy basically and the quoted prices will reflect this..so add min 2-300 baht to your 120baht bus fare just to travelling Patong area..min 320-420+baht..

May as well take the 150baht vans from the airport direct to your hotel etc [but suffer the inevitable ''stop-offs'' on the way] but still probably quicker and easier.

If you want to travel to kata, chalong,rawai etc, you may as well bite the bullet and get ripped off by the airport taxis and get a direct ride from the airport

This sure is no ''Magic Bus'' [thanks Pete Townsend]smile.png

Its doomed to failure IMO...

In stead of slagging it off you could also see it as a positive development and a start. I know the Kata tuktuk drivers see it as a start, which is why they are against it.

OK ..yes it is a start.....positive.??..Sorry but if you are honest as my opinion is there is no positive ....as i outlined in my post ..no use pretending is there...

So the start is not a positive? You're looking really short term here at the service offered now, even the tuktuk drivers are looking further here than the length of their noses (which is already very short with most Thais).

The karon/kata tuk tuk mob are only concerned with the bus's goal of running beach to beach and ''stealing'' a portion of their overpriced routes..nothing more, nothing less.They will protect these routes to the south at all costs, as they have done previously.

As it stands now with the bus only going to Patong, the Patong tuk-tuk mob are very happy..they have a captive customer base right there at Baan Zaan market [as i pointed out in earlier post]

Yes i am looking at the short term, because IMO thats all it will be.....Personally,I believe it will never get to go beyond Patong,

What do you really believe the 'long term'' vision is?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And while they, "Block the road" - particular tourist who DON'T use coach buses on a package holiday, will continue to go elsewhere. Thus, causing more price rises and the continuation of the BS that will see even more, of what is left, of the traditional market, leave.

What a great business plan.

Edited by NamKangMan

In stead of slagging it off you could also see it as a positive development and a start. I know the Kata tuktuk drivers see it as a start, which is why they are against it.

OK ..yes it is a start.....positive.??..Sorry but if you are honest as my opinion is there is no positive ....as i outlined in my post ..no use pretending is there...

So the start is not a positive? You're looking really short term here at the service offered now, even the tuktuk drivers are looking further here than the length of their noses (which is already very short with most Thais).

The karon/kata tuk tuk mob are only concerned with the bus's goal of running beach to beach and ''stealing'' a portion of their overpriced routes..nothing more, nothing less.<snip>

No, this busline would even bring them money. They are concerned because they realise this is a start to undermine their monopoly, and in the long run the end of their business. You know, sometimes it really pays to talk to people and hear things from the horse's mouth.

@stevenl...

No, this busline would even bring them money. They are concerned because they realise this is a start to undermine their monopoly, and in the long run the end of their business. You know, sometimes it really pays to talk to people and hear things from the horse's mouth.

What on earth are you on about this time?

First you say;;No, this busline would even bring them money.

Then you say; They are concerned because they realise this is a start to undermine their monopoly, and in the long run the end of their business.

Which of these two totally opposite views did you hear from the horse?? rolleyes.gif

@stevenl...

What on earth are you on about this time?

First you say;;No, this busline would even bring them money.

Then you say; They are concerned because they realise this is a start to undermine their monopoly, and in the long run the end of their business.

Which of these two totally opposite views did you hear from the horse?? rolleyes.gif

Hmm, what is an opposite view about: they see they can make money out of it now, but also see that in the future this will contribute to the end of their monopoly and income stream.

That's why they are opposing it now, because unlike you and some others here they are looking ahead.

• Like 1

@stevenl

Hmm, what is an opposite view about: they see they can make money out of it now, but also see that in the future this will contribute to the end of their monopoly and income stream.

That's why they are opposing it now, because unlike you and some others here they are looking ahead.

But isn't this exactly as i said earlier? coffee1.gif

The karon/kata tuk tuk mob are only concerned with the bus's goal of running beach to beach and ''stealing'' a portion of their overpriced routes..nothing more, nothing less.They will protect these routes to the south at all costs, as they have done previously.

@stevenl

But isn't this exactly as i said earlier? coffee1.gif

No, not the same, since you're only looking at the short term as you said yourself in post #151.

But I'm out of here, want any more from me send me a PM, I'm not going to bother other readers with this back and forth because of your inability to read.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Because it's still incredibly scenic, north of Heroine monument at least, and has all the modern conveniences and life is still relatively cheap compared to the west. .

Just keep your dealings with Thais to a minimum, do not trust anyone, and it's good for retirement.

I would not invest or make any kind of SME long term investment, that goes for all of Thailand, really. LAws are applied spuriously and subject to sudden change. Anyone ever get a letter from Immigration advising them of an upcoming change in rules?

Strictly a banana republic.

Why do people still go to Phuket?

It has become more of a nightmare

From the time you get off the plane the scams start

If the tuk tuks charged fair fees then perhaps there

would be no push for other services