Phuket: Kata/karon Tuk-Tuk Drivers: ' We Will Block The Road'

webfact

"One tuk-tuk driver responded, “Tell Chalerm that in Phuket we no longer have rice fields. We just have tuk-tuks. This is the only way we can make a living.”"

If this is true then I can empathize.

I could too, if the person making that statement was born and raised in Phuket and used to have a rice field.

How could you empathize with the native rice farmers from Phuket.

If you see the property prices in Phuket, I think the native rice farmers from Phuket are more riche than you and me ever going to be.

So the Tuk-tuk drivers would be rice farmers if it was rice fileds in Phuket LOL. Maybe they can take the construction jobs in Phuket that is done by Burmese people today.

Thai authoritys please nuke all the red and yellow cockroaches in Patong, Kata, Karon, they destroy the island.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agreed with bus moving in to help the mafia problems in Patong.

Last year went I tried to took a tuk-tuk from Jung Ceylon back to my hotel less then 1 km.

They charging me for 300 THB , with this price I can took a cab to airport in Bangkok.

It gives very bad Impression on those mafia tuk-tuk in Phuket for long time already and I think now is the time to have competitions.

Edited by Bkungbank

So when does the service actually start?

Never!

I think a bus service was once tried in phucket, The driver was dragged out the bus and beaten up...this is the second try but i dont think its even intended to succeed.

But they got the buses already so if they were never serious about this why fork out for the buses?

Then why did they fork out for the busses the first time ?

I dunno mate first time was the first time. But the police have at least weighed in a bit this time too so that's a start.

So when does the service actually start?

Never!

I think a bus service was once tried in phucket, The driver was dragged out the bus and beaten up...this is the second try but i dont think its even intended to succeed.

But they got the buses already so if they were never serious about this why fork out for the buses?

Then why did they fork out for the busses the first time ?

I dunno mate first time was the first time. But the police have at least weighed in a bit this time too so that's a start.

Maybe there will be a third or even fourth time but i cant imagine the police getting too involved.

I believe residents and tourists alike have to accept phucket will not be allowed to have a functioning public transport system.

"One tuk-tuk driver responded, “Tell Chalerm that in Phuket we no longer have rice fields. We just have tuk-tuks. This is the only way we can make a living.”"

Are you seriously falling for this by suggesting that driving a tuk tuk or taxi at 5 to 10x the price of any other place in Thailand is the only way for a person in Phuket to earn a living?

I could, having never been there as i live in BKK. I could see the other side too hence my conditional empathy.

Are you seriously falling for this by suggesting that driving a tuk tuk or taxi at 5 to 10x the price of any other place in Thailand is the only way for a person in Phuket to earn a living?

No other way to earn a living ! sooooooooo go back to where they came from and stop disrupting other peoples lives by blackmail.

I could, having never been there as i live in BKK. I could see the other side too hence my conditional empathy.

Come to see for yourself, 1 year ago I was in the same position & could not understand the level of the problem, now I fully understand. Everytime I see one broken down or crashed a have a little smile.

Let me resume: They announced an illegal act, they still did it years ago (public bus shuttle Kata/Patong), the police is unable (unwilling) to enforce the law (ex.: last blocking of deep sea harbour). To name only a few of the "events".

This announcement of anarchy gives a good reason to the Gov to call in the army. Declaring a state of emergency to enforce public order and peace. Gov, its up2u now. Have the guts! Have the balls!

Edited by KhunMichael

I personally understand the reasons for the Thai people here worrying about the Russian scum taking their jobs,, this is a proven part over the past few months,, I agree and will help in anyway I can to help the Thai people get rid of these Russians breaking the laws,,it is simple you want to work here or start a business then you need to pay like the rest of us,, I own a business here and I pay my taxes and everything else so why do these Russians feel they dont have too>>>>>>> In regards to blocking the roads,,,this is in itself breaking the law but I find it funny,,, a tuk tuk weighs what??? 1/4 ton if lucky verses a 4 ton bus,, if they want to block the roads then let them,,,I don't think more then 2-5 tuk tuks will be crushed under the weight of 1 bus will take to long to sink into their heads before they get the idea,,,,as long as no one is hurt.

If it's the Kata and Karon TukTuks that are protesting, action should be taken against them.

Although long term Phuket residents and visitors never take TukTuks, many visitors do. Why don't people start a boycott of Kata/Karon TukTuks?

They are easy to tell apart. As I understand it, ALL Patong Tuk Tuks have the entrance at the back of the vehicle, and ALL Kata and Karon Tuk Tuks have the door on the side of the truck.

It would be easy enough (in Patong) to just refuse to use all but the Patong TukTuks.

Then from the government...

Banning the 'Law Breakers' from picking up outside of their area, including Patong, will send a message.

It could go even further with all hotels outside of Kata and Karon refusing to allow the goons on their property.

Why is it that Kata and Karon TukTuks can come swarm into Patong everynight. In essence, aren't they stealing Patong TukTuk's customers.

I realize this is impossible. I've been in Thailand long enough. My point is that the Public, Thais, Expats, Tourists, and Government can apply a little bit of the same force in return. Even if a small percent refused these thugs and then got into a Patong TukTuk, you bet they'd start talking. Thais cannot bear to be the victims of the consequences of their own actions. Losing fares would cause a big ripple in thier loyal following.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

You weren't informed first because you're thugs!!! You charge outrageous amounts of money to get from A to B and then you wonder when people take cheaper alternatives??? Just how immature are you guys actually??? And what exactly makes you guys in Phuket so special that it gives you the right to charge more than anywhere else in Thailand? You want to block the roads? Well, bring it then!!! I hope the military will scorch you like the little thugs you are!!!

• Like 1

I could too, if the person making that statement was born and raised in Phuket and used to have a rice field.

How could you empathize with the native rice farmers from Phuket.

I don't, read it again.... nice avatar btw, it suits you.

(here's a little hint, check out the difference between singular and plural)

Edited by Thaddeus

Bit of a no-brainer really..Tuk-tuk Mafia charge 5-10x normal rate..& have got pretty damn smug about doing so..they're not gonna back-pedal down to 'normal rate' for a Farang fare now are they..?

But wait a mo..in comes our Red-Star boys..the soviets will offer the same transportation at the real (fair) price..everyone jumps on THEIR buses from the airport etc..leaving the Tuk-Tuk drivers (who, if truth be known,very few hail from the island & have come down to get their slice of the Farang-funded cake)..left on street corners stewing & promising retaliation.. yes, revoke the licences of the militant drivers, slim the 3-wheel menace fleet down to half, then let's see how they fair then..???

But on Pukkers this is unlikely to happen as the MIB, T.T.owners, & Jet-Ski operators seem to run the resort, & the T.A.T. has no chance of making the tourist's 2 weeks any better. (Rant over).

Bit of a no-brainer really..Tuk-tuk Mafia charge 5-10x normal rate..& have got pretty damn smug about doing so..they're not gonna back-pedal down to 'normal rate' for a Farang fare now are they..?

But wait a mo..in comes our Red-Star boys..the soviets will offer the same transportation at the real (fair) price..everyone jumps on THEIR buses from the airport etc..leaving the Tuk-Tuk drivers (who, if truth be known,very few hail from the island & have come down to get their slice of the Farang-funded cake)..left on street corners stewing & promising retaliation.. yes, revoke the licences of the militant drivers, slim the 3-wheel menace fleet down to half, then let's see how they fair then..???

But on Pukkers this is unlikely to happen as the MIB, T.T.owners, & Jet-Ski operators seem to run the resort, & the T.A.T. has no chance of making the tourist's 2 weeks any better. (Rant over).

Have you ever been to Phuket? As it seems your rant is rather clueless. The tuk tuks here are not three wheeled to start... Then there are the local fiefdoms, which are really the main problem. And lastly Russians, or any other foreigner, cannot be in the transportation business, it is against Thai law.

Hmm, if it has three wheels it's probably a tuk tuk, if it's got four then it's certainly not, I'm afraid we've all got used over time to refering to the small red taxi's as tuk tuks, which they really are not.

Hmm, if it has three wheels it's probably a tuk tuk, if it's got four then it's certainly not, I'm afraid we've all got used over time to refering to the small red taxi's as tuk tuks, which they really are not.

You obviously don't live in Phuket!

• Like 1

Bullshit, most of the tuk tuk drivers are not locals but from essan and i doubt they ever had two baht to rub together. If their locals all they have is their beloved tuk tuk cause they sold their land and had fun for a year or two (i know a few thai's that this is true for).

Bring in the military

Tuk-tuk drivers from Issan ?? Are you sure about that? In all my years here I`ve never once met a tuk-tuk driver from Issan.They are all from Phuket,South Thailand and mostly muslims.Same with the MB-taxi drivers on the island......southern-Thais all of them.

Should do like Thatcher and break up the unions or at least this one...

Dont these people relize they are the puss that poisons phuket.

. there will alway be work driving people if they cant over charge maybe they could get a job working for a hotel as a driver . ridiculous to state' how can we make a living as other people charge 1/2 the price'. when in BKK you can drive around the city all day for the same price that a Phuket Taxi or tut tut will charge for a 5 minute trip down the road.

I think if i was govenor i'd tell 'em to drop their prices act more proffesssionally or I'd ban Tut Tuts altogether in exchange for a tram service all over the island..

ps. what happens to all the meters on the Taxi's has anyone ever experienced a taxi charging by the meter? Its law in BKK dont know about nationally!!

Edited by epicstuff

You obviously don't live in Phuket!

Doesn't matter where you live, "Chiang mai" states the obvious. Only in Phuket is a small Daihatsu van refered to as a "Tuk tuk." Most of the drivers actually refer to themselves as Taxi drivers and have "Taxi" stickers on their vans.

Not trying to be a wiki warrior Jimi but here you are: "The auto rickshaw, called tuk-tuk (Thai: ตุ๊กตุ๊ก, pronounced "took-took") or sam-lor (Thai: สามล้อ) meaning three-wheeler in Thailand"

Bullshit, most of the tuk tuk drivers are not locals but from essan and i doubt they ever had two baht to rub together. If their locals all they have is their beloved tuk tuk cause they sold their land and had fun for a year or two (i know a few thai's that this is true for).

Bring in the military

Tuk-tuk drivers from Issan ?? Are you sure about that? In all my years here I`ve never once met a tuk-tuk driver from Issan.They are all from Phuket,South Thailand and mostly muslims.Same with the MB-taxi drivers on the island......southern-Thais all of them.

I am sure - would you like to meet some?

i know a few here in Kamala and Patong

Tuk tuk to me refers to any small vehicles (Ie. not a car) that carries passengers,

there are some cool ones pulled by motorcycles, ( forget where in Thailand but they are like the ones in Cambodia which to me to me are Tuk Tuk as well)

or the Black ones in India and Nepal

Tuk in Thai is supossed to mean cheap.

Now theres a joke for you.

They should be renamed Pooket phaaeng phaaeng mafia

• Like 1

Bring in the military

I`ve met plenty and my thai language skills are basic,but I can hear the the difference between a southerner and one from Issan.

"An auto rickshaw or three-wheeler (tuk-tuk, trishaw, auto, rickshaw,

autorick, bajaj, rick, tricycle, mototaxi, or baby taxi in popular"...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuk-Tuk

"An auto rickshaw or three-wheeler (tuk-tuk, trishaw, auto, rickshaw,

autorick, bajaj, rick, tricycle, mototaxi, or baby taxi in popular"...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuk-Tuk

It was supposed to be a joke but then again I forgot this is TV where humour is banned.

• Like 1

Bring in the military

I`ve met plenty and my thai language skills are basic,but I can hear the the difference between a southerner and one from Issan.

Perhaps your Thai language skills are at a level to distinguish between regions, brushnig up on your English reading skills maybe useful? YOU mentioned no Tuk tuk dirver are from the Issan I asked if you would like to meet some?