BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket: Kata/karon Tuk-Tuk Drivers: ' We Will Block The Road'

Looking at all this and having had my very own personal problems and fights with these thugs, I wonder if Thailand's government will ever have the guts (and uncorrupted manpower) to root out the Tuk Tuk, Mini Bus and Taxi Mafia in Thailand for good, implementing mandatory meters in all taxis, tuk tuks, etc. along with the requirement to have a "Your driver won't use the taxi meter? Call free of charge to report offenders - 24h hotline: 081XXXXXXX" and revoke any license >for life< if three offense calls came in for any particular driver - full stop.

Buuuuut... we are in Thailand, so this will be just a nice dream and nothing is gonna change. My prognosis: The local "authorties" will give in and let the Tuk Tuk Mafia have it their way as always. Guess there will be some cheap 2nd hand buses for sale in Phuket soon. "Thailaeeen..."

Maybe the government should reposess some of the unused rice paddies in the northeast and give them to the "poor" Tuk Tuk thugs and let's see if they are willing to work for a change instead of ripping off and putting off tourists with their arrogant, aggressive and violent behaviour. Would be kinda cool as there would be some free parking spots along the beaches of Phuket... Sorry forgot - of course they are already "booked" by those nice, friendly and reliable water scooter and speed boat guys. They need to make a living too, of course, since there is no fish left in the water... They all were respected and honest fishermen in the past, you know, but what should they do? Work? Naaaa... better to point a gun into a tourists face, and force him to hand over all of his cash to repair the 3 year old damage on their water scooter. Call the police? Naaaa.... they're best friends of all those lovely tuk tuk, scooter and speed boat guys... Need some Metamphetamine? Call the hotline! It's a jungle out there - chop down a tree and ten others will grow...

Edited by catweazle

Close the airport. No need for a bus then, no Russians or any other pesky foreigners. Problem solved.

let them put a turret gunner on top of each bus or the front of a bulldozer, in case someone wants to block the roads

2013 and maffia is taking control of the streets ...

street = public

all tour operators should just stop bringing in those tourists, game over would be nice

"One tuk-tuk driver responded, “Tell Chalerm that in Phuket we no longer have rice fields. We just have tuk-tuks. This is the only way we can make a living.”"

If this is true then I can empathize.

Bullshit, most of the tuk tuk drivers are not locals but from essan and i doubt they ever had two baht to rub together. If their locals all they have is their beloved tuk tuk cause they sold their land and had fun for a year or two (i know a few thai's that this is true for).

Bring in the military

• Like 1

"One tuk-tuk driver responded, “Tell Chalerm that in Phuket we no longer have rice fields. We just have tuk-tuks. This is the only way we can make a living.”"

Or maybe the tuk tuk drivers could get a real job! lol, Scamming the public is all they know............

Bullshit, most of the tuk tuk drivers are not locals but from essan and i doubt they ever had two baht to rub together. If their locals all they have is their beloved tuk tuk cause they sold their land and had fun for a year or two (i know a few thai's that this is true for).

Bring in the military

As i said, drink whisky today & lets not worry for tomorrow

Bring in the military

As i said, drink whisky today & lets not worry for tomorrow

if thats whisky ?? smells like spiritus to me

the smell of money ... no vision .... shortsighted.

No wonder no one takes a tuk tuk, expensive rip off!

Are you seriously falling for this by suggesting that driving a tuk tuk or taxi at 5 to 10x the price of any other place in Thailand is the only way for a person in Phuket to earn a living?

I suspect it is one of the reasons that there will be buses, tourists complain about all these Tuk Tuks and Motorbikes who take over prices.

My bet most of the Tuk Tuk drivers are not from Phuket, but from the Eesarn. Rice fields on Phuket ? . . . . the locals were fishermen and makers of coconut based copra ! And mining was big on Phuket. The Tuk Tuk drivers should ask their bosses why they get extorted by them. A driver has to pay a fortune in provisions to the owner of the Tuk Tuk. The driver will never own one, nor had he ever owned a rice field on Phuket before.

So when does the service actually start?

Never!

I think a bus service was once tried in phucket, The driver was dragged out the bus and beaten up...this is the second try but i dont think its even intended to succeed.

Never!

I think a bus service was once tried in phucket, The driver was dragged out the bus and beaten up...this is the second try but i dont think its even intended to succeed.

But they got the buses already so if they were never serious about this why fork out for the buses?

Never!

But they got the buses already so if they were never serious about this why fork out for the buses?

Then why did they fork out for the busses the first time ?