BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Lite Beer

Battle Lines Drawn Over New Phuket Bus Service

Mr Sommart said the bus services would directly affect local drivers’ livelihoods. “If they are going to run the airport bus service, we will surely stage a protest. The airport bus service will definitely affect us. They are going to steal our jobs,” he said.

“The bus will serve a long route from Thalang to Kata, Karon and Patong. Think about how many customers they are going to steal from us,” he added.

Priceless! The leader of the old gang of thieves is worried that the new gang of thieves will steal from their own, proprietary pool of victims.

Been a while since been in Phuket. What actually are the Tuk Tuk and MC fares today?

I found these rates in another topic on the Phuket Forum. I'm not sure if they are still accurate as I never use them. Last time I took a "meter taxi" from the airport to Rawai the price had gone from 500 ( in Sept, 2012) to 600 Baht i(n December, 2012), now I hear it can be 800, but I haven't used them lately. Of course they refuse to turn on the meter and won't negotiate lower.

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Karon

KARON - PHUKET AIRPORT 1000

KARON - KATA 200

KARON - PATONG 400

KARON - PHUKET TOWN 550

KARON - KAMALA 600

KARON - KOH SI RAE 700

KARON - PHUKET DEEP SEA PORT 700

KARON - CHALONG BAY 400

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Kamala

KAMALA - PHUKET AIRPORT 700

KAMALA - PATONG 400

KAMALA - KARON 600

KAMALA - KATA 800

KAMALA - PHUKET TOWN 700

KAMALA- NAI HARN BEACH 900

KAMALA- SURIN BEACH 300

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Patong

PATONG - PHUKET AIRPORT 800

PATONG - KAMALA 400

PATONG - SURIN BEACH 500

PATONG - PHUKET TOWN 500

PATONG - PHROMTHEP CAPE 700

PATONG - CHALONG BAY 500

PATONG - CHALONG TEMPLE 500

PATONG - PHUKET ZOO 500

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Phuket Town

PHUKET TOWN - PHUKET AIRPORT 550

PHUKET TOWN - MAKHAM BAY 350

PHUKET TOWN - PANWA CAPE 400

PHUKET TOWN - NAI HARN BEACH 500

PHUKET TOWN - PATONG 500

PHUKET TOWN - SURIN BEACH 600

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Phuket Airport

PHUKET AIRPORT - KOH SI RAE 800

PHUKET AIRPORT - MAKHAM BAY 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - PHUKET DEEP SEA PORT 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - PANWA CAPE 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - CHALONG BAY 650

PHUKET AIRPORT - RAWAI 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - KATA 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - KARON 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - PATONG 800

PHUKET AIRPORT - CHERNG TALAY 700

Rates above are maximum fares. They can be negotiated down - but not up. Any passengers having problems should call 1584

I do not go to Phuket anymore (have been there twice) for this very reason. Transportation is expensive. Even the motorbikes charge an arm and a leg to go short distances. Its a shame, the island is very nice, but there are many other nice islands where you dont need to deal with this hassle.

• Like 2

By and large, I think most people that spend the money flying to Phuket an staying at a nice hotel get too caught up worrying about the cab fare.

Maybe the goverment should tell the tuktuk drivers that, what ever happen to the bus or bus driver will feed back to the leaders of the union and their members. If they block the bus, the police will put up road blocks and block all tuktuks for driving in 1 month. If they beat up the bus driver, all the leaders for the tuktuk union will be arrested and beaten up in jail. If the bus driver got killed, all the leaders for the tuktuk union will be arrested and put in jail for life time.

Sadly you have no idea how 'business' is conducted here on Phuket Island. Money talks and is spread around to cover all the various branches of officialdom. Government and Police have no interest to rein-in the Tuk Tuk, Taxi, and Jet Ski mafias. Sure some 'lip service' will be made .... means nothing.

By and large, I think most people that spend the money flying to Phuket an staying at a nice hotel get too caught up worrying about the cab fare.

That may have been the case in the not too distant past. Now more and more Russian and Chinese tourists are here on an all inclusive package on a large tour bus and aren't using tuk tuk and taxis as much. These guys continue to shoot themselves in the foot. The old Thai business model of raising prices in a declining market seems to hold true still...

Been a while since been in Phuket. What actually are the Tuk Tuk and MC fares today?

Too much! I recall when I lived in patong 2 years ago it was 200thb for less than 1km

That may have been the case in the not too distant past. Now more and more Russian and Chinese tourists are here on an all inclusive package on a large tour bus and aren't using tuk tuk and taxis as much. These guys continue to shoot themselves in the foot. The old Thai business model of raising prices in a declining market seems to hold true still...

Agreed, Koh Samet in Rayong does the same thing. Less tourists so they put room, food & beer prices up.

It will be a Thai with a large pair of durians that drive these buses.

Sadly you have no idea how 'business' is conducted here on Phuket Island. Money talks and is spread around to cover all the various branches of officialdom. Government and Police have no interest to rein-in the Tuk Tuk, Taxi, and Jet Ski mafias.

The result is the reason that I never go to, and always advise tourists not to go to, Phuket.

Preechavude “Prab” Keesin, son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin and head of the Patong Taxi Federation

'nuff said.

• Like 2

Preechavude “Prab” Keesin, son of Patong Mayor Pian Keesin and head of the Patong Taxi Federation

'nuff said.

cheesy.gif

But their property is in their servant's name. biggrin.png

Actually, if you read the article, the Patong tuk-tuk association is not against the bus service, it's the Kata-Karon faction.

What are they afraid off ? people that want cheap bus , not take expensive tuk tuk anyway now ..

look to the airport bus who is on ? thai people and very few tourist that cant affort a taxi

everywhere ther is competition, Thai airways not block the airport also because airasia come ..

but people have the right to choose, low quality cheap serverce for those who want or cant afford it, or quality taxi transport

its up to the tuk tuk to make people not take the bus by giving better service and acceptable price

if a drive from karon to patong is 50 B but the tuk tuk bring you NOW and DIRECT to the place you want for 100 B , people will take tuk tuk , cause for 2 people same as bus price

if bus is 50 B and tuk tuk 500 B then they are the only ones that drive the people to the bus with there overcharged prices.

EVERY city has public transport why Phuket can not ? less tuk tuk would be a bless with this shortness of parking space and traffic jam, dont worry jobs enough on phuket.

go for it gouvernor and break this 1 company possesive clame ones and for all, make phuket free .