Battle Lines Drawn Over New Phuket Bus Service

Lite Beer

let's hope this politician will not want to lose face and that the bus service will finaly come

last resort : outlaw all tuk tuk's and destroy them one by one without compensation

the issan maffia can go back where they came from and go work the field

I have a feeling that the people who run the Patong faction might know something that we don't. Maybe....just maybe, they have been told that this bus is going to happen come hell or high water and it would be best to be on the winning side and avoid losing face, power and prestige.

Of course, this could be <deleted>, but, it's the only reason that I can think of why the Patong faction are not opposing the bus service.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the people who run the Patong faction might know something that we don't. Maybe....just maybe, they have been told that this bus is going to happen come hell or high water and it would be best to be on the winning side and avoid losing face, power and prestige.

Of course, this could be <deleted>, but, it's the only reason that I can think of why the Patong faction are not opposing the bus service.

More like the Kata/Karon guys worry about this bus servicing the Patong - Kata route. Ironically that's likely to be the big money maker for the airport bus owners.

• Like 1

More like the Kata/Karon guys worry about this bus servicing the Patong - Kata route. Ironically that's likely to be the big money maker for the airport bus owners.

So, if that is true, why isn't the Patong faction not opposing the bus service? They have even more to lose from the Patong - Karon route that the Kata-Karon bunch.

^ Are the army going to guard the buses with tanks?

Is it a coincidence that the media have reported that the police have been doing mob control exercises?

Laughable, I know, but hey......maybe the bus owners have real power. They are supposed to be one of the owners of the airport taxi concession.

Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting.

As I've said before, there's only one thing to do with people like Sommart Homwan and his friends:

Edit: Not to be taken too seriously, of course. whistling.gif

Just might do the trick. a little extreme, but effective.. clap2.gif

Though somewhat speculative, this does make some sense. Possibly a rift between the two factions? I can see that as a plus in the sense that it leaves the 'consumers' out of it while they hash it out amongst themselves.

Only time will tell...

Though somewhat speculative, this does make some sense. Possibly a rift between the two factions? I can see that as a plus in the sense that it leaves the 'consumers' out of it while they hash it out amongst themselves.

Only time will tell...

More likely that the Patong boys have got message from their mayor to avoid more bad reputations so keep out of any conflict and media because the bus service will never start anyway.

Only time will tell...

More likely that the Patong boys have got message from their mayor to avoid more bad reputations so keep out of any conflict and media because the bus service will never start anyway.

And that's the other side of the coin Felt 35. Which is why I say it's purely speculation on our part. Whatever happens will not be affected by what we opine here. And although it makes for good ranting and whinging posts, what we speculate about here really don't mean <---->. It only serves to satisfy our own penchant for ranting and whinging.

I was in Phuket in March 2013 and had to get from the bus station to Kata beach. It cost me 600 baht. I was the only person in a fancy, 9 seat van. Of course, no working seat belts. On Kho Samui it costs 500 baht to get from the ferry terminal to Bo Phut beach. Both way too much in my opinion. I pay 140 baht to get from Thung Song, Nakhon si Thammarat to Suratthani. I pay 360 baht to get from Thung Song to Phuket bus station. Go figure.

Of course, this could be &lt;deleted&gt;, but, it's the only reason that I can think of why the Patong faction are not opposing the bus service.

Only time will tell...

And that's the other side of the coin Felt 35. Which is why I say it's purely speculation on our part. Whatever happens will not be affected by what we opine here. And although it makes for good ranting and whinging posts, what we speculate about here really don't mean <---->. It only serves to satisfy our own penchant for ranting and whinging.

Speculation with good odds because no doubt what side of the coin most prevalent in Phuket!

Of course, this could be &lt;deleted&gt;, but, it's the only reason that I can think of why the Patong faction are not opposing the bus service.

So, if that is true, why isn't the Patong faction not opposing the bus service? They have even more to lose from the Patong - Karon route that the Kata-Karon bunch.

Because people travel from Kata/Karon to Patong mainly for a night out. By the time they return the buses will have stopped running anyway so the Patong taxis/tuktuks will get the fare back as they always have.

• Like 1

@ madmitch

I had given thought to the operating times of the buses as well.

I think many people will use the bus to go out, and possibly have to get a tuk-tuk home. So, the tuk-tuks will face some loss of income. To make that income up, they will put the price up for taking people home after their night out. It's aready 400 baht up, and 800 baht back - it could go to 1000 baht or more to get back home.

So, many people will be interested in when the first bus runs, the next day. It may be of financial benefit to "party on" an exta couple of hours and get the first morning bus home. Nightclubs may see a rise in early morning sales. :) :)

@ madmitch

I think many people will use the bus to go out, and possibly have to get a tuk-tuk home. So, the tuk-tuks will face some loss of income. To make that income up, they will put the price up for taking people home after their night out. It's aready 400 baht up, and 800 baht back - it could go to 1000 baht or more to get back home.

So, many people will be interested in when the first bus runs, the next day. It may be of financial benefit to "party on" an exta couple of hours and get the first morning bus home. Nightclubs may see a rise in early morning sales. smile.pngsmile.png

The more I think about it, the more I can understand why the Patong tuktuks should be happy with this service:late night fares to Kata/Karon, Kamala etc; fares from the airport bus stop to hotels and guesthouses; no loss of income on the airport runs as they aren't provided by the tuktuks anyway, though I realise a number of black and newly registered taxis are associated.

The Kata/Karon guys will be affected more and they are the most militant operation. I hope they are brought down a peg or two but it's unlikely. How they have got away without allowing motorbike taxis in the area is outrageous and shows the power they have.

NB I have never paid more than 400 baht at any hour for a ride from Patong to Karon.

@ madmitch

So, many people will be interested in when the first bus runs, the next day. It may be of financial benefit to "party on" an exta couple of hours and get the first morning bus home. Nightclubs may see a rise in early morning sales.

The more I think about it, the more I can understand why the Patong tuktuks should be happy with this service:late night fares to Kata/Karon, Kamala etc; fares from the airport bus stop to hotels and guesthouses; no loss of income on the airport runs as they aren't provided by the tuktuks anyway, though I realise a number of black and newly registered taxis are associated.

The Kata/Karon guys will be affected more and they are the most militant operation. I hope they are brought down a peg or two but it's unlikely. How they have got away without allowing motorbike taxis in the area is outrageous and shows the power they have.

NB I have never paid more than 400 baht at any hour for a ride from Patong to Karon.

Yes, but 400 baht for 4 km is what I pay in London or New York. It is criminal. It is stupid. It is immoral. Get rid of the taxi mafia whores once and for all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@ madmitch

So, many people will be interested in when the first bus runs, the next day. It may be of financial benefit to "party on" an exta couple of hours and get the first morning bus home. Nightclubs may see a rise in early morning sales. smile.pngsmile.png

When's the last time you caught a tuk-tuk from Patong to Karon, at 2am?

Some say it's all to do with your negotiation skills, how well you speak Thai, if you are with a bar girl or not, how drunk you are etc etc - I haven't caught a tuk-tuk in years, but I ask them "How much" in Thai, occasionally.

The reply on several occasions has been "800 baht." When I say "Too expensive" many drivers reply "Go walk." I couldn't be bothered discussing it any further at that point and walk to my friend's bar who gives me a lift home at closing. (yes - he stays sober most nights)

I actually ride down to Kata/Karon/Rawai and pay 500 baht for a cheap room, go out with friends, stay the night, and come home the next day, as I will not ride intoxicated. Quite ridiculous for such a short journey, as a guest house room for 24 hours is cheaper than a few minutes drive in a tuk-tuk, with the guest house having a lot more overheads.

Maybe some members can post some recent prices they have paid.

You do make an interesting point as to why the Patong tuk-tuk drivers may not be so concerned. Despite the buses, they may still be able to charge rip-off prices. This is why I mentioned it will be important what time the first bus in the morning starts. If it's 3am, the Patong tu-tuk drivers may blockade as well. If it's 7am, they might not care.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ madmitch

Some say it's all to do with your negotiation skills, how well you speak Thai, if you are with a bar girl or not, how drunk you are etc etc - I haven't caught a tuk-tuk in years, but I ask them "How much" in Thai, occasionally.

The reply on several occasions has been "800 baht." When I say "Too expensive" many drivers reply "Go walk." I couldn't be bothered discussing it any further at that point and walk to my friend's bar who gives me a lift home at closing. (yes - he stays sober most nights)

I actually ride down to Kata/Karon/Rawai and pay 500 baht for a cheap room, go out with friends, stay the night, and come home the next day, as I will not ride intoxicated. Quite ridiculous for such a short journey, as a guest house room for 24 hours is cheaper than a few minutes drive in a tuk-tuk, with the guest house having a lot more overheads.

You do make an interesting point as to why the Patong tuk-tuk drivers may not be so concerned. Despite the buses, they may still be able to charge rip-off prices. This is why I mentioned it will be important what time the first bus in the morning starts. If it's 3am, the Patong tu-tuk drivers may blockade as well. If it's 7am, they might not care.

2 weeks ago, 400 baht for three of us.

@ madmitch

Where, and at what time? The tuk-tuks at the end of Bangla Road, around 2am, have always told me 800 baht. What price did they start at?

Edited by NamKangMan

@ madmitch

Where, and at what time? The tuk-tuks at the end of Bangla Road, around 2am, have always told me 800 baht. What price did they start at?

Not even any negotiation. 2am approx, 400 baht.

I think I said in my poor Thai something like "Had Karon, see roy baht mai?" and the driver was fine. Right outside Taipan.

@ madmitch

Not even any negotiation. 2am approx, 400 baht.

I think I said in my poor Thai something like "Had Karon, see roy baht mai?" and the driver was fine. Right outside Taipan.

Maybe you are lucky, or I'm unlucky. Always speak in my poor Thai as well and are told 800 baht and would not even discuss a lower price. I'm not actually going to Kata/Karon - just fishing for what's it going to cost.

Even the mototaxis around Patong, 40 baht late afternoon/early evening, after 2am, it's 80 baht or 100 baht.

Edited by NamKangMan

Maybe you are lucky, or I'm unlucky. Always speak in my poor Thai as well and are told 800 baht and would not even discuss a lower price. I'm not actually going to Kata/Karon - just fishing for what's it going to cost.

Even the mototaxis around Patong, 40 baht late afternoon/early evening, after 2am, it's 80 baht or 100 baht.

Maybe I was a little before 2am, just before the price change point, but certainly not by more than a few minutes. I'll ask some of my guests when they have a late one in Patong how much they have paid to get back. I'll keep you advised.

Maybe I was a little before 2am, just before the price change point, but certainly not by more than a few minutes. I'll ask some of my guests when they have a late one in Patong how much they have paid to get back. I'll keep you advised.

I'd be interested to know, especially from a tourist who speaks no Thai at all.

One member here has stated some of his guests are paying, from memory, anywhere from 1800 to 4000 baht from the airport.