Good Indonesian Food ?

Sandman77

i find their roti canai alot more tastier than the roti here.

and their nasi lemak rice. its godly. find the one that local eats. its wrapped with banana leaf, just anchovies, peanuts and their sambal sauce, bloody delicious

and begedil, fried mash potatoes with spices. ayam penyet crashed chicken rice

im nt sure if its indonesian food though, malay food i guess

Edited by barefoot1988

Soto madura soto syam. Sate ayam. Ayam = chicken. They have very nice duck but in general indonesian food is nothing special.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If on a visa run, just a few days, you probably won't have time to try all the very nice Padang food available. It is not typical of Bali, but plenty of restaurants serve it and you can see and choose what you will eat.

As for special food, you MUST try Ayam Kota. It may not be on the menu on some restaurants, but all of them will know it. thumbsup.gif

I recommend the soto ayam the preparation for which has a wide variation...also the rendang which I believe is a padang dish usually prepared with beef which I useta have often for lunch at work, sold downstairs in the underground car park and usually attended to by a large indonesian mama in a t-shirt and a sarong with a lovely smile...

and definitely try the mie ayam only served in the morning for breakfast...but I warn that it is highly addictive and if you don't get yer fix yer whole day is ruined...mostly sold in the street out of a hand cart...

lots of good fish restaurants around so a must have is ikan bakar but only with sea fish as the freshwater fish (usually raised in ponds) is mushy and tasteless...for a treat I useta get bbq prawns and a big bowl of soto and nasi putih...the Bintang Beer ain't half bad either...

bon apetit...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

(and then tutsi pulls up to the house in Pluit, north Jakarta after work with the driver and bursting out of the door is his 45 y.o. girlfriend in a wild mass of long black hair and long brown limbs in t-shirt and shorts and piles in and barks at the driver to get to the nearest warung as she hasn't had any soto that day...and tutsi: 'why don't ye bile yerself some noodles?' and she looks at me and sez: 'you want me to bile noodles?' and then nothing more needed to be said...a christian woman in a muslim country (from Solo in central Java) and I still think of her with fascination and affection...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

Try more Balinese style food such as lawar (meat salad), sambal matah kecombrang (torch ginger sambal) that is served with grilled fish, sate lilit (minced fish/seafood saté), bulung kuah pindang (seaweed salad), Babi guling (suckling pig).
http://www.jenzcorner.net/weblog/category/cuisine/indonesian-cuisine/balinese-cuisine
http://www.bali-directory.com/all-about-bali/BalineseFood.asp
http://www.balifoods.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Now in Bali since 3 days!

Most resorts are emty like a ghost town!

Food not spicy!

Menu size small, price more then double like in Thailand , sometime same then in the eu!

Same in the supermarket!

Price half million rupiah for a big resort room with to floors!

Many cheaper rooms are more dirty!

Peale friendly. But not so much helpful then in thai!

Not have somtam!

Now in Bali since 3 days! Most resorts are emty like a ghost town! Food not spicy! Menu size small, price more then double like in Thailand , sometime same then in the eu! Same in the supermarket! Price half million rupiah for a big resort room with to floors! Many cheaper rooms are more dirty! Peale friendly. But not so much helpful then in thai! Not have somtam!

In which area are you staying ?

For the hotel, if you don't intend to spend all the day in the room, you should make a move to Tune-Legian 66 (jl. Arjuna) ... and bargain hard.

I got a room at 95,000/night (with AC & WiFi) during Easter holidays.

Two good warung nearby: warung murah & warung melasti.

For breakfast: Blue Ocean ... old timers are still going there, which is a good sign.

For cheap sunset beers and no-frills nasi/mee goreng, soto ayam,... just cross the road and ask some of the beach attendants.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The food in bali was more expensive and little bit espasaly the breakfast was a joke one slide toast butter egg and a chemical jam always I have to order 2 menu because of small size!

Was thinking Mexico has bad food but Indonesia food was the worst I ever eat in my life the price in Ubud 4 for fruit shake for the family and a Greek salad 27€ on my visa card bill post-114169-13753711083668_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

yeah...the 'gado2' as you see the signs posted on the street carts around town...

not to knock UG's taste but I never got into the peanut sauce on everything, sate, gado2 and etc..but it is OK to try and please do...but I like my peanut butter on toast...

the goat sate is nice...sate kambing I believe it's called...not to be confused with kambing hitam which is a scapegoat...

one morning an associate at the office in Pluit observed as I heartily tucked into my breakfast mie ayam and I said: 'get yerself some! it's great!!!' and he then wrinkled his nose and said: 'do you have a problem with corn flakes?'

he was from Sheffield so ye can't blame him much...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

wow..this one has a story...

the associate with the corn flakes was a pal actually and he ended up staying in Indonesia for 5 years and became fluent in bahasa...quite remarkable...

and I knew his girlfriend who was a doll, almost my height with legs up to here..and we were hangin' out once and we knew what the next move would be but I was loyal to my mate...I gave her some dough anyway as she was skint at the time...

and I saw me old mate a couple of years ago back with his family in Worthing and he informed that his girl married a scottish laird and now lives on his estate in the highlands...

all's well that ends well, I suppose...

and the girl never ate indonesian food as when we were out for a meal in Jakarta she always ordered the biggest steak on the menu, cooked rare and immediately when she finished lit up a fag and exhaled luxuriously...she was quite a woman, maybe she could be described as disgraceful but she was beautiful and didn't care...

(and the music of Jimmy Reed is in the background with 'Bright Lights, Big City'...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

she was just a part of the bargirl scene in Jakarta in the early 90s and Jakarta in that way has a lot more to offer than Thailand...

and I met there a woman who was to become one of the loves of my life and it's too complicated to explain...suffice to say that it was like the passage in Saul Bellow's Herzog where the hero is with an asian woman who he rejected as he couldn't handle it: (goes like) 'she gave me everything that she had but I did not have the strength of character to realise it...'...

jezuz...

and she knew my pal and his girl and we useta hang out and one afternoon as we were heading back to the accommodation with me and my girl in the back we stopped at the supermarket for him to get bread and milk for his family at home...and then me and the woman were alone in a remote area of the vast car park and she had her hand on my thigh and etc, etc...

and then later I said as he was a bit anal retentive and I wanted to wind him up (corn flakes? <deleted>?): 'say, man...you know the other day when we went to the super and me an' her were alone together in the car?' and he was dismayed and amused at the same time and said: 'oh, no!...not in me car??!!'

crazy days in Jakarta in the early 90s...and I was over 40 y.o....

Edited by tutsiwarrior

nah...not really...the time of the year just happened to coincide with my extension renewal so I had to come home from saudi and I wanted to see if I could get drunk and write stuff that didn't offend and get me suspended again...the minder has already warned me once...

I'll settle fer 'Poster of the Year - Emeritus'...

• 5 weeks later...