BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Russian Tour Company Worker Freed After Proved Legal

Russian tour company worker freed after proved legal
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The Russian woman arrested for working illegally at a tour counter in Kata last week has been released after her company proved to Phuket police that she was legal.

Natalia Nikiforova, 33, was arrested at the Rus Info Tour Center in Kata last Wednesday for working without a work permit and for illegally entering the country (story here).

Karon Police yesterday confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that they dropped the charges against Ms Nikiforova after they were shown the Russian’s passport, complete with valid visa and permit-to-stay, and her work permit, also current and valid.

The Gazette has received copies of the original documents.

Ms Nikiforova was arrested after she was found without her passport or her work permit on her person when the officers raided the tour counter and requested to see the original documents.

“We are not going to press charges as her employer presented to us her passport and legal work permit,” Lt Ratthapol Deethongon explained.

For the inconvenience, Ms Nikiforova spent a night in a police cell.

However, she may still face legal action.

“We will pass the case file to the public prosecutor, who may still press charges against her for not carrying her passport and her work permit on her person,” Lt Ratthapol added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Russian-tour-company-worker-freed-after-proved-legal-20734.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-09

RELATED STORY:
Phuket Immigration Task Force Targetting Foreigners Nabs Russian

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630921-phuket-immigration-task-force-targetting-foreigners-nabs-russian/

that is ridiculous , so we have to carry passport and work permit all the time ? everywhere ? this witches hunt is going nowhere.

As far as I know, officially, yes...

Copy will suffice, many employers keep the work permit at Head office.

good, she was, as i recall, quite fit.

the last sentence smacks of witch hunt, or at the very least a last ditch attempt to save face:

“We will pass the case file to the public prosecutor, who may still press charges against her for not carrying her passport and her work permit on her person,”

Sure she got her apology in the morning?whistling.gif

i guess u guys are newbies & dont know how thailand works. its very easy to backpedal with the proper paymentsbiggrin.png

So also the copies of passport and workpermit in possession of the PG are antidated?

i guess u guys are newbies & dont know how thailand works. its very easy to backpedal with the proper paymentsbiggrin.png

So you think the copies of the documents sent to the Gazette were faked by the police? Wow, I learn something new here every day....

Why she didn't say something in the first place then? It smells fishy. Maybe a sum of money helped to free her and save russians face in this story?

If you have work permit, why don't you say so? Bull cr*p

• Like 1

that is ridiculous , so we have to carry passport and work permit all the time ? everywhere ? this witches hunt is going nowhere.

As far as I know, officially, yes...

Those of us with work permits or other long stay visas should be entitled to a more practical form of credit-card sized identification, not too dissimilar to the Thai national ID. Yes, it might cost a few hundred baht, but it's certainly more practical than carrying ones passport everywhere.

Getting a Thai drivers licence is the best alternative at the moment. It is suffice in most circumstances.

Getting a copy of your WP and Passport @ 1 Baht p/copy is as cheap as it gets and as convenient as it gets. Will suffice in pretty much all circumstances.

(Don't forget to get scissors to cut of the excess paper...you don't want to carry that around now do you?)

Edited by Schuimpge