Russian Tour Company Worker Freed After Proved Legal

webfact

Russian tour company worker freed after proved legal
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The Russian woman arrested for working illegally at a tour counter in Kata last week has been released after her company proved to Phuket police that she was legal.

Natalia Nikiforova, 33, was arrested at the Rus Info Tour Center in Kata last Wednesday for working without a work permit and for illegally entering the country (story here).

Karon Police yesterday confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that they dropped the charges against Ms Nikiforova after they were shown the Russian’s passport, complete with valid visa and permit-to-stay, and her work permit, also current and valid.

The Gazette has received copies of the original documents.

Ms Nikiforova was arrested after she was found without her passport or her work permit on her person when the officers raided the tour counter and requested to see the original documents.

“We are not going to press charges as her employer presented to us her passport and legal work permit,” Lt Ratthapol Deethongon explained.

For the inconvenience, Ms Nikiforova spent a night in a police cell.

However, she may still face legal action.

“We will pass the case file to the public prosecutor, who may still press charges against her for not carrying her passport and her work permit on her person,” Lt Ratthapol added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Russian-tour-company-worker-freed-after-proved-legal-20734.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-09

RELATED STORY:
Phuket Immigration Task Force Targetting Foreigners Nabs Russian

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630921-phuket-immigration-task-force-targetting-foreigners-nabs-russian/

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is ridiculous , so we have to carry passport and work permit all the time ? everywhere ? this witches hunt is going nowhere.

As far as I know, officially, yes...

Copy will suffice, many employers keep the work permit at Head office.

good, she was, as i recall, quite fit.

the last sentence smacks of witch hunt, or at the very least a last ditch attempt to save face:

“We will pass the case file to the public prosecutor, who may still press charges against her for not carrying her passport and her work permit on her person,”

Sure she got her apology in the morning?whistling.gif

i guess u guys are newbies & dont know how thailand works. its very easy to backpedal with the proper paymentsbiggrin.png

So also the copies of passport and workpermit in possession of the PG are antidated?

i guess u guys are newbies & dont know how thailand works. its very easy to backpedal with the proper paymentsbiggrin.png

So you think the copies of the documents sent to the Gazette were faked by the police? Wow, I learn something new here every day....

that is ridiculous , so we have to carry passport and work permit all the time ? everywhere ? this witches hunt is going nowhere.

Those of us with work permits or other long stay visas should be entitled to a more practical form of credit-card sized identification, not too dissimilar to the Thai national ID. Yes, it might cost a few hundred baht, but it's certainly more practical than carrying ones passport everywhere.

Getting a Thai drivers licence is the best alternative at the moment. It is suffice in most circumstances.

Getting a copy of your WP and Passport @ 1 Baht p/copy is as cheap as it gets and as convenient as it gets. Will suffice in pretty much all circumstances.

(Don't forget to get scissors to cut of the excess paper...you don't want to carry that around now do you?)

Edited by Schuimpge

It's a very normal and standard practice (world wide I dare say...) that you have to carry your ID. In this case, you are in a foreign country and your only valid ID is your passport.

As for the workpermit, read the last page. It says: "Warning" and then the first item reads:

1. A permit holder must keep the permit with him or at the place of work during working hours in order that it may be readily shown to competent official or the Registrar. Any violation thereof shall be liable to a fine not exceeding one thousand Baht.

Very easy and straight forward rules...what's there to complain about...?

You want to work...you follow the rules...

Yes, just pulled my WP out of my bag and it says exactly that. I carry my WP with me at all times when at work. Saves any confusion in the event of an official challenge.

• Like 1

Thailand and all it's BS are really getting to me lately, i'm just about having enough... No i'm NOT a Russian, but this could have been any of us ( who holds a legal WP)ending up in a mess, because of some Smart A*** Politician or "police" who tries to prove them selves ... It just makes me sick !!!

So leave, does any one care?

• Like 2

It's a very normal and standard practice (world wide I dare say...) that you have to carry your ID. In this case, you are in a foreign country and your only valid ID is your passport.

As for the workpermit, read the last page. It says: "Warning" and then the first item reads:

1. A permit holder must keep the permit with him or at the place of work during working hours in order that it may be readily shown to competent official or the Registrar. Any violation thereof shall be liable to a fine not exceeding one thousand Baht.

Yes, just pulled my WP out of my bag and it says exactly that. I carry my WP with me at all times when at work. Saves any confusion in the event of an official challenge.

Glad my typing skills are still ok...tongue.png

"Saves any confusion in the event of an official challenge. challenged official."

Fixed for better understanding...

Edited by Schuimpge
  • Like 1

“We will pass the case file to the public prosecutor, who may still press charges against her for not carrying her passport and her work permit on her person,” Lt Ratthapol added.

Now that is just plain spiteful.

I bet the public prosecutor doesn't bring charges, but at least Lt Ratthapol can puff out his chest and feel important, today.

I bet the public prosecutor doesn't bring charges, but at least Lt Ratthapol can puff out his chest and feel important, today.

Guess they'll let the prosecutor decide on the 1000 Baht fine because she did not bring her workpermit with her to work.

Then the prosecutor will likely exchange that for the night in the slammer.

Judge will agree and give a warning.

Case closed.

Real charming, a week to check out the paperwork. You would think that there are more government workers than insects in the land of Smiles. It seems again that quantity is no match for quality. What an incompetence.

Why do you think it took a week? She was released the day following her arrest. Ah, you think everything that happens gets reported to the press straight away, and the press reports everything directly and accurately.

So she spent a night in jail over a mistake by the BIBs, are they going to compensate her for that? Surely no...

Would be nice for the ones who cocked up to get into trouble for making a wrong arrest...

Edited by RED21
  • Like 2

In what insane legal system is one arrested and detained until one can prove one's innocence? And then, after the arrest is proven unjustified, threatened with criminal prosecution for not carrying the correct papers?

Looks like the hang-em-high brigade* are getting their way. Any foreigner in Thailand who isn't at least making sure their escape fund and contingency plans are in place is a fool.

*Who ironically, mainly came to Thailand because they were sick of the 'nanny state'

“We are not going to press charges as her employer presented to us her passport and legal work permit,” Lt Ratthapol Deethongon explained.

I wonder if the ink is still wet on her WP and how thick the brown paper envelope was.

Cynical? Moi?

Easy? In my opinion, having to carry the original everywhere you go exposes you to an unacceptably high risk of pickpocketing (not to mention putting a lot of wear and tear on it, what if you get caught outside in a rainstorm with it in your pocket). If a photocopy is not sufficient, then there should be a system whereby foreigners can apply for an ID card that they can carry around instead.

And BTW, in Australia there is no law that anyone has to carry ID around with them.

• Like 1

It's a very normal and standard practice (world wide I dare say...)NOT!IN FREE CIVILIZED COUNTRY.

Well maybe (repeat maybe) the Russian gal gave some smart ass comments / replies when she was confronted, and now the chickens come home to roost.

Not a wise move in any country to smart ass police officers and similar officials.

I agree with the various comments about why didn't she show the documents in the first place or, if they were not on site, mention she has the visa in her passport and she has a WP, and send someone quick smart to bring them to the officers.

I recall some years back I was arriving in Australia, a yank in front of me was being obnoxious to the passport officer then, when asked to open his suitace, gave the customs folks a mouthful of foul mouth cheek and threw the suitcase keys across the room along with a comment 'you wanna take a look in my suitacse, you open it'.

Result: Suitcase ripped quickly open with some tools from under the bench, 3 or 4 extra customs officers appeared very quickly and every article of clothing destroyed by cutting off the shirt collars then cutting the collars into pieces to 'check for drugs maybe hidden in the collars', shoes destroyed, and more. Didn't take long for the smart ass to plead with them to stop.

I've also seen Japanese customs officers get pretty agreesive with people who don't 'toe the line'.

Edited by scorecard

Some silly posters on the board today. Nothing in the report implied she stated she didn't have one, and nothing in the report implied you must carry your wp with you at all times.

Copy will suffice, many employers keep the work permit at Head office.

Incorrect. You are not required to carry your work permit "at all times, everywhere." You only need to keep it at your place of work when working. It's not like your passport. But you also can't leave it at the head office, although I have heard this is SOP for some companies. The police may be trying to make a point about that by detaining her for so long and passing the case on to the courts.

"A work permit holder shall carry the permit with himself/herself, or keep it at the place of work while working, ready at all times, for presenting to the competent official or the registrar. Any permit holder who violates or fails to comply with the foregoing shall be liable to a fine of not exceeding ten thousand Baht."

Source: Page 30 of my work permit.

Edited by NomadJoe