Will Joining The Asean Stop Foreign Teaching?

Scully

Yes, I do know the difference between lose and loose. But the topic isn't about grammar. It's about the future of foreign teachers in Thailand.

Apologies for trying to add a bit of humour to the thread sad.png

I don't think much will change in SE Asia in 2015. Things will start to change gradually over the next 5-10 years possibly, but I don't think foreign teachers in Thailand or the rest of SEAsia will have much to worry about. Parents will always want native speaking teachers and schools will keep employing them.

Yes, I do know the difference between lose and loose. But the topic isn't about grammar. It's about the future of foreign teachers in Thailand.

Apologies for trying to add a bit of humour to the thread sad.png

<snipped>

No problem, it was taken as humor, but we do need to be careful in this forum because we get people who start being super critical of grammar, spelling and sentence structure. It is an internet discussion forum and some people are posting using telephones and others have poor or limited internet connections.

We also have quite a few posters who are not native English speakers.

Oh, my, now I am going completely off-topic. I apologize and will crawl back into the penalty boxbiggrin.png

• Like 1

I tend to support the idea of people having a degree to teach, however, that is based on my experience in a bilingual program where a subjects are taught in English. By and large, the people with a degree have done better with subjects such as Science and Math. At the top of the Totem Pole are those with a Bachelor's in Education.

As far as teaching English, my experience with non-degreed, TEFL trained teachers has been very positive. Most TEFL teachers can be turned lose in a classroom with little supervision. Most know what they are doing and how to do it. This is especially true of those who have taken their TEFL locally and have a better feel for the Thai education system.

The problem for Thailand is that they don't realize that one size does not fit all.

Does having a degree give one the ability to know the difference between lose and loose? tongue.png

SIGNS YOU ARE A LOSER

1. Your dog rather rub up against the wall than have you pet it.

2. All the numbers in your little black book start with "1-900."

3. Due to excessive hazing and ridicule, you decided to drop out of the Origami Club.

4. You were almost involved in a threesome, but your left hand fell asleep.

5. Fantasizing out loud before falling asleep is your idea of "pillow talk."

6. Your personal ad reads: "Seeking Anybody."

7. Next to your name in the phone directory, the phone number is replaced with the phrase "Who cares?"

8. You look forward to the dinner time calls from telemarketers.

9. The last time you were invited to a party, you were grooving to the lyric, "Put your right foot in, take your right foot out."

10. You spent last summer following around the 2000 Bible Belt Trekkie Convention Tour.

Edited by Scott
font
  • Like 1

So after the AEC, will those from ASEAN Nations still need Work Permit to work in Thailand or will just showing their passport be enough?

If no need for schools or businesses to have to go through any WP process, it may be easier to hire someone from ASEAN Nation rather than Westerner.