Buying Gear Mail Order From Hk

I have bought cameras, lenses and accessories from HK for many years with no problems. I always buy through eBay, pay with Paypal; both of which provide a measure of protection should something happen, and I always buy from reputable eBay merchants with high ratings, and ensure that items are shipped with a tracking number (usually EMS). Shipping takes 3 days and up.

Sometimes they get stopped for duty in Thailand, sometimes they don't. If duty is levied, it will based on the valuation provided by the seller. This adds a few days to the process as you wait for the little slip to come which tells you to come to the post office to pay the duty and collect; although if the tracking indicates it is in town, I will often just present myself with the tracking number and they will find it.

I recently went on Russian camera/lens binge and bought several cameras and lenses from assorted locations all over the former Soviet Republic. Everything eventually arrived, although it took a while for some to turn up.