Bringing In Copy Dvd's Into Thailand - Illegal?

sonic_11uk

I remember some months ago whilst doing a visa run up north in Mae Sai, there were signs warning against buying copy DVD's in the Tachilek market across the border.

On the way back into Thailand, I also noticed a lot of random bag checks.

Has anyone else noticed this, or faced questionning on their DVD purchases? I'm planning a visa run for next month and was curious if it's worth doing any shopping at the Tachilek market.

I know they're never really allowed, but I imagine that most of the time it's a case of copy DVD's leaving the country, but what about bringing some in?

Cheers!!!

I'm frequently in Mae Sai, and have noticed an increase in manpower on the border post, along with a lot more random bag checking. ( read that as farang bag checking)

I have seen the Thai customs impounding cigarettes purchased in Myanmar, but havn't seen any DVDs being confiscated yet. The Thais and Burmese seem imune from searches :o

I'm frequently in Mae Sai, and have noticed an increase in manpower on the border post, along with a lot more random bag checking. ( read that as farang bag checking)

I have seen the Thai customs impounding cigarettes purchased in Myanmar, but havn't seen any DVDs being confiscated yet. The Thais and Burmese seem imune from searches :o

Last time, I noticed the locals getting searched - I got away!

Last time I was there, the Mrs Chuchok and two of her Kiwi friends purchased half of Burma. there was no trying to hide anything either. two of our crew were searched.Included in this were 10 DVD's and 10CD's and lots of 'copy' wallets etc.They were only looking for weapons.

If they stop the trade, then Tachilek will die a small death.

I bought some 'DVD's in Tachilek. All blanks. The joke was on me, but I can just imagine the Thai officials seizing them and finding out they were blanks.

I must have made 5 runs to Mae Sai, and they didn't check me, or even that one Maori family I travelled with. But the Swahili delegation from Borneo, who bought Ethiopian DVD's from the Mongolian at the Finlandia stall, they got searched. It happens every time.

bag searches coming into Thailand from Burma................hmmmmm let me see? ahh I got it........ they are checking that your bag hasn't got any holes in it, so your passport or personal things don't get lost.

:o

Thaising

It's not worth saving a few baht just to bringing in a illegal DVD, if get caught your name & foto will be in the world media.
Couldn't agree more Edited by juggler

Can not say about Burma but, Malaysia and Singapore are deadly serious.

heavy fines if caught.

that's really funny cause Malaysia is like the #1 offender of copy dvds in the world. they dont give a rat's arse what Hollywood thinks about it.

Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black really!

Why buy them in Burma, when you can buy them on this side, and don't have to pay $5to go. There is one shop just right of the bridge, overlooking the river if there was a window. Good DVD movies, vids, watever- kind of a garentee, if you live close and can return bad sh%t. :o

Why buy them in Burma, when you can buy them on this side, and don't have to pay $5to go. There is one shop just right of the bridge, overlooking the river if there was a window. Good DVD movies, vids, watever- kind of a garentee, if you live close and can return bad sh%t. :o

exactly........DVD smuggling into Thailand, across the border.......... the comedy of it!

I found some very cool stuff in one of the CD/DVD shops, I saw rare stuff I couldn't find here, some old classic Hong Kong gangster movies for example.

The prices were better and they allow you to every disc on their DVD player before you purchase, something I haven't been able to do in BKK.

It's curious, I remember the customs people at the bridge asking if I was going shopping before wishing me a good time. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing weird about smuggling DVDs into Thailand at all. I don't go up to Tachilek all that often, but when I do, I buy around 20 or 30 discs. 80b for a new release movie WITH special features, 60b for a new CD. Great selection at a few shops, friendly staff who let you return dodgy copies on your next visit, cheap booze and fags...it can really add up to big savings.

I too have only seen locals having their bags searched...the cops' main concern appears to be drugs, not minor counterfeit smuggling. It would be easy enough for the BIB to crack down if they could be bothered.