Hi! I'm From Nakhon Sawan

jampola

Hi Fred thanks for the info will try to get there tonight I am working all day until about 5.30pm try to get there after that.

Cheers Gavin

You'll be more than welcome.

Working till 5.30 ???

We will be there till at least 9 more than likely later just come into the restaurant turn right and make your way to the Bar we will be sitting at a table down there. We are the one's that don't look Thai!!!

Don't take any notice of the above message nice bloke but he's a colonist that doesn't speak English to well also wares a David Crockett hat.

Fred.

H/M to the lower classes in N/S.

gav2013,

"H/M to the lower classes in N/S" See he's already started his KP campaign! Beware, especially if everybody at the table is wearing a black robe and white wig!.

N/S province is not K.P.P. Province.

How can you tell the difference, all the tree's are green in K.P.P and not grey due to the diesel fumes, that's of cause if you can see them at all in the first place through the SMOG that abounds.

I have to go there N/S soon for visa stand by for the H/M update.

As I have a bit of time till I go out in our clean air, insight into what I had for dinner last night had a Plank steak rare (Skirt steak) French fries (Chips) Sallard (Salad) with a liberal mixture of EEEERB'S (HERBS) Tomaydo (Tomato) Thai Barzzil (Basil) you more than likely wont believe this but didn't put any "Tree Sap" (Maple Syrup) on any of it.

Have put the English translation in bracket's. Sorry for putting it in U.S of A in the first place but as it's nearly Christmas good will to all men and all that, felt I couldn't leave out the lesser colonist people (Peep's)

H/M.

SHANGRI LA.

K.P.PHET.

WORLD HERITAGE CITY.

Hi new to kp want to know if there is anyone who likes a cold beer or who likes to go for a ride on there motorcycle cheers.

Hi,

I'm also new to KPP. I just arrived up here early November......and i always like a beer!

I'm here until late March and have plenty time during the week usually to chill and relax as my g/f works in Lan Krabue.

In fact right now as i type this i am sitting on the riverside with a nice cold beer! �

To both of you lads above. Loads of place's to drink Eat day and night you just have to know where they are.

If you go to the 1 Tak road head towards Tak till you get to the new Global (everyone knows that place just ask) as you get there turn down the road that's just before it and some 1 km on the left is Oasis restaurant Bar Open from 11am till 10pm and later ??? "closed Monday" sells good coffee and assorted beer only western food though. Mike a German owns it great bloke speaks fluent English alas no Thai.

Perchance a few of us English mob will be having a drink there tomorrow Saturday night from about 6/30pm onwards your very welcome to pop along and get yourselves mixed in with some of the locals.

If you cant make it send me a P.M and I'll try and help out with suggestions re where to go etc.

Fred.

Just a thought Evergreen. WALK. EEEEEEEEEEEK. You need some transport.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was busy all weekend as always and not online to see the replies.

I did see something before about this Oasis bar place but i had no idea where it was, now i realise it's bike or car ride away. I'm hopefully getting a bike from a friend of my g/f soon..........hopefully very soon as walking in this heat can be a little bit hot to say the least, and the soi dogs, well......

Hi Fred sorry couldn't make it on Saturday night got caught up at work so will try to catch up another time I went past the oasis on Sunday afternoon hard place to see is the one with the gravel driveway.

Cheers Gavin

Yes that would be it you can only see a bit of it from the road. Look for the sign only about 3foot by 4foot so easy to miss. Say's Oasis Bar and restaurant. Tip go a little slower next time.

Fred.

Hi new to kp want to know if there is anyone who likes a cold beer or who likes to go for a ride on there motorcycle cheers.

Hi,

I'm also new to KPP. I just arrived up here early November......and i always like a beer!

I'm here until late March and have plenty time during the week usually to chill and relax as my g/f works in Lan Krabue.

In fact right now as i type this i am sitting on the riverside with a nice cold beer! �

To both of you lads above. Loads of place's to drink Eat day and night you just have to know where they are.

If you go to the 1 Tak road head towards Tak till you get to the new Global (everyone knows that place just ask) as you get there turn down the road that's just before it and some 1 km on the left is Oasis restaurant Bar Open from 11am till 10pm and later ??? "closed Monday" sells good coffee and assorted beer only western food though. Mike a German owns it great bloke speaks fluent English alas no Thai.

Perchance a few of us English mob will be having a drink there tomorrow Saturday night from about 6/30pm onwards your very welcome to pop along and get yourselves mixed in with some of the locals.

If you cant make it send me a P.M and I'll try and help out with suggestions re where to go etc.

Fred.

Just a thought Evergreen. WALK. EEEEEEEEEEEK. You need some transport.

A bit bizzy this week but will more than likely be there at Oasis on Saturday. Update later.

You could always get a push bike from Big C or one of several place's around town about 1.500bt should get you a nice one.

To all the lad's Mike 'Oasis bar' is doing a Christmas thingy on the night of the 25th, if you fancy to go you will have to get down there lively as he only has a couple of place's left, as of Saturday 4. At a push we could more than likely squeeze you on our table. Just ask Mike.

By the way when I said ALL the lads that's us local upper class not any of the N/S Mob, or Colonists come to that.

Fred.

H/M.

Fred.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was busy all weekend as always and not online to see the replies.

I did see something before about this Oasis bar place but i had no idea where it was, now i realise it's bike or car ride away. I'm hopefully getting a bike from a friend of my g/f soon..........hopefully very soon as walking in this heat can be a little bit hot to say the least, and the soi dogs, well......��

Heat!  This is winter, enjoy it while you can.  Just wait until March, April and May if you think that it;s hot now!

Oh i know all about the heat....i did live on Samui preciously so...

It's just that at the moment i am walking everywhere when my g/f is working and i'm sure you'd be feeling a bit hot after walking from Big C over the river and along to Baan Rim Nam, 6.6km in total....should have a bike by this weekend though so it will be better.

The locals all think i am mad walking all that distance...as i walk over the bridge some of the kids just shout "falang baa" and laugh at me, ha ha.

Heat! This is winter, enjoy it while you can. Just wait until March, April and May if you think that it;s hot now!

Oh i know all about the heat....i did live on Samui preciously so...�

It's just that at the moment i am walking everywhere when my g/f is working and i'm sure you'd be feeling a bit hot after walking from Big C over the river and along to Baan Rim Nam, 6.6km in total....should have a bike by this weekend though so it will be better.

The locals all think i am mad walking all that distance...as i walk over the bridge some of the kids just shout "falang baa" and laugh at me, ha ha. �

Samui is a ice box compared to here during March, April and May. I had a place in Samui from 1997 to 2004 and commuted back and forth at least 2 times /month.. I miss my 6 to10 kilometer walks on the beach early every morning. As far as walking. Thais don't. My wife's sister live less than 100 meters from our house and I have never seen my wife walk. She spends more time and energy getting out the motor bike and starting it than it would take just to walk.

Heat!  This is winter, enjoy it while you can.  Just wait until March, April and May if you think that it;s hot now!

Oh i know all about the heat....i did live on Samui preciously so...�

The locals all think i am mad walking all that distance...as i walk over the bridge some of the kids just shout "falang baa" and laugh at me, ha ha. �

Samui is a ice box compared to here during March, April and May. I had a place in Samui from 1997 to 2004 and commuted back and forth at least 2 times /month..  I miss my 6 to10 kilometer walks on the beach early every morning.  As far as walking. Thais don't.  My wife's sister live less than 100 meters from our house and I have never seen my wife walk.  She spends more time and energy getting out the motor bike and starting it than it would take just to walk.

Well, when i lived on Samui and also visited dozens of times on occasion it certainly has been up into about +40 so i think no matter where you would be in the world that most people would say that is pretty hot yes? ha ha.

I've also been here in KPP in the jot season as i was here in May as well :-)

Oh my g/f is the same. I literally live across the road from Big C, 30 seconds to walk but oh no, she has to take the pick up and drive over...then she cannot park to save herself or when she does she then cannot reverse out again so i have to do it...she just refuses to walk anywhere, like most Thais as you say, ha ha.

• 4 weeks later...

If you live in Nakhon Sawan, Mai Sot is the closest border crossing. It's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive, the last 70 kilometers single lane over the mountains. There is no place closer. It costs 500 baht to enter Myanmar and the crossing and return is painless as there are very few "farangs" there and you just go to the front of the line. If you have to take a bus I think that you can leave NS early inb the morning and get back around midnight the same day. I did it many years ago but not since 2004.

I think there is now a border crossing near Kanchanabury. I'm not sure if it is closer than Maesot, but I would think it would be a lot easier and safer to get to, I have traveled to Kanchanabury and to Maesot from NS, and I certainly think it is a lot easier.

The new border crossing in Kanchanaburi is much further, about 6 hours from NS. The crossing in Mai Sot is easy, about 3- 3.5 hours. Go up AH1 and turn left on 105. The last 70 kilometers over the mountains is the worst since it's single lane. When you get to the traffic circle go 3/4 the way around then go about 5 kilometers and park under the bridge. Haven't used it since 2004 but it was Okay then, but I was driving.

I done the Mae Sot run on Dec 30th. As said already by someone else it was very very easy and no hassle whatsoever.

You get told not to wait but go to another window and when i was there was empty so i had no long waiting times. The only thing was the journey!!

I thought i had seen it all in my times here in various parts but this journey, the to Mae Sot leg was the most terrifying i have been on yet unfortunately!! Our driver i think overtook every single other vehicle on that road over the mountains no matter what. Blind bends undertaking bumping at 100k along bumpy gravel......but i survived it and the driver heading back to KPP was fine, no problem at all.

What i would say though is that my g/f got given the bus companies number to call for when we were returning. After i came back over into Mae Sot lucky enough she decided to call in advance only to be told cannot, it is full, the last bus scheduled had also been cancelled!!

We just went to the station anyway and lucky enough managed to get on the 2pm departure. If not i guess we were stuck or would have had to try something else!!

• 7 months later...

I have been living in Khao Nor, Nakhon Sawn now for the past year. It is the mountain just off highway 1 where the bats come out every evening. It is about 40 km north of Nakhon Sawan city close to the KPP border. Have not seen any farang out this way; do any of you live near me?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,I'm Tim and live about 30klms from Nkswn towards Banpotphisai, which has just opened its third 7/11. I love the country lifestyle, but don't do the bar scene much. However, I wouldn't mind catching up with other farlang sometimes. Please call me if you are around,0878087028 or send a PM.

Cheers, Tim

Welcome James.

Next time you spot a farang, just ask him "where do you live"? If that doesen't work, just ask your wife. If she doesen't know, she can find out within 10 minutes where the farangs live in a radius of 50 km. I bet. Just ask.

Cheers.

I never knew that so many Thais (in Nakorn Sawan, as you imply) know their neighbours beyond those their immediate neighbours who live on the same street as they do. Therefore, while anyone who lives in a particular area of Thailand probably has a rough idea of how many westerners live in the nearby area, they can't say for sure and a 50km radius is certainly pushing things. Probably nowhere in the world would anyone know most of the other 10,000 households in a 50km radius of their homes to definitely say for sure where all the resident foreigners/westerners (in this case) are living. I think any such claim is very far fetched. If it's a small village of 100 people, then sure, but Nakorn Sawan has I dunno, at least 50,000 residents? And the average person living there generally doesn't know the next person passing them on the street. So come on...

If you live in Nakhon Sawan, Mai Sot is the closest border crossing. It's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive, the last 70 kilometers single lane over the mountains. There is no place closer. It costs 500 baht to enter Myanmar and the crossing and return is painless as there are very few "farangs" there and you just go to the front of the line. If you have to take a bus I think that you can leave NS early inb the morning and get back around midnight the same day. I did it many years ago but not since 2004.

I think there is now a border crossing near Kanchanabury. I'm not sure if it is closer than Maesot, but I would think it would be a lot easier and safer to get to, I have traveled to Kanchanabury and to Maesot from NS, and I certainly think it is a lot easier.

Yeah well don't go there now, there's fighting going on the Myanmar side, sounds like for the first time in about 4 years and this has prompted the closure of the border crossing there. Check the Bangkok Post for updates, which is where the article appeared mentioning the border closure and the clashes 5km from Myawady (and therefore only 5km from Thailand) that prompted the temporary border closures.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi just want ask if anyone knows anything about Martin aka evergreen I saw him here in kpp a few months back and his cancer had come he went back home I spoke to him a couple of times on Thai visa here he wasn't doing so well I have sent him a couple of messages but no reply just wondering if anyone knows anything.

Cheers Gavin

Archived