BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Lite Beer

Russian Boy, 9, Saved From Drowning At Phuket Beach Lagoon

“Our lifeguards will be patrolling the beach and the lagoon during the coming holidays,” Mr Jula said.

How many kids need to die there before they have a lifeguard watching the lagoon everyday? I amazed that an expat or tourist didn't have to rescue yet another...

More nanny-state mentality.

If they're your children it's your responsibility to keep an eye on them.

"I amazed that an expat or tourist didn't have to rescue yet another"

Good idea. Let's take the kids to the beach and hope some inebriated tourists will take care of them.

“Our lifeguards will be patrolling the beach and the lagoon during the coming holidays,” Mr Jula said.

How many kids need to die there before they have a lifeguard watching the lagoon everyday? I amazed that an expat or tourist didn't have to rescue yet another...

More nanny-state mentality.

If they're your children it's your responsibility to keep an eye on them.

"I amazed that an expat or tourist didn't have to rescue yet another"

Good idea. Let's take the kids to the beach and hope some inebriated tourists will take care of them.

While I agree that kids are their parents responsibility, there are a lot of parents who don't seem to understand the danger of that peaceful looking lagoon. There have been at least 4 deaths of kids in that lagoon over just the past couple of years. And many others saved by a passing expat or tourist. The lifeguards have said in the past, the lagoon is not the ocean, so it wasn't their responsibility. But now they say they say they will patrol it for the holidays... Brilliant.

I find the lagoon more dangerous than the sea: more unprectiable, it gets quite deep suddenly, and strong currents when the tide is going in and out.