Thailand Overwhelmed By Influx Of Foreign Tourists

webfact

If i understood well, it means that also more prostitutes (males & females) are needed too.

Not all the tourists traveling to Thailand do it for sex tourism, but a huge part of them yes !

Then, maybe the team of PM should consider to "allow" prostitution in the Kingdom and also in allowing more pimps to work openly.... Oh ! Damn i forgot they have already an expert in pimping girls that's Mr. Deputy Chuwit ......

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't panic all my friend's some 20+ have got the answer. They have been coming to Thailand every year for the last 8 year's, last year they said if the BT go's any lower this year it would be a no no.

Well it's happened are they still coming well no they have all booked up to go to Mexico.

-20 big spending Brit's panic over in one foul swoop.

Honestly, if a 3% change in value makes one flee to Mexico, i would hardly class them as "big spenders." More like "Cheap Charlies." Really? That changes their travel plans? LOL... Enjoy Mexico my friends...and remember to bring a gun to a gun fight, not a smile and a cold beer.
In your earlier post you said you were 'sometimes' a 'dick'. I don't believe that. fredob's story states quiet clearly that his friend's baseline for what it costs in Thailand was eight years ago. He and his friends have had steadily decreasing value for money since then. When I was in Thailand last October the Baht was 32.36 and when I left in January it was 30.35 and now it is 28.66. I spend $10,000 per year as a tourist. Since October, that's Baht 37K I don't get to spend. I happy you have a rich and successful wife and can afford to spend Baht 5K on a dinner for two at the Mandarin Oriental but your financial position has led you to look down on those who have to be careful with money during these tough financial times. Calling someone a Cheap Charlie because they don't have your wealth is 'dickish'.

Well the let's stay poor so tourists will keep coming strategy isn't a very good plan.

Thai people, unless very wealthy, do not experience higher standard of living because of a stronger Baht. They live on a Baht economy. It does hurt regular Thais if tourists from countries with now less spending power stop coming. In any case, I was not saying to keep Thailand poor; I was explaining why some would travel elsewhere.

Don't panic all my friend's some 20+ have got the answer. They have been coming to Thailand every year for the last 8 year's, last year they said if the BT go's any lower this year it would be a no no.

Well it's happened are they still coming well no they have all booked up to go to Mexico.

-20 big spending Brit's panic over in one foul swoop.

Honestly, if a 3% change in value makes one flee to Mexico, i would hardly class them as "big spenders." More like "Cheap Charlies." Really? That changes their travel plans? LOL... Enjoy Mexico my friends...and remember to bring a gun to a gun fight, not a smile and a cold beer.
In your earlier post you said you were 'sometimes' a 'dick'. I don't believe that. fredob's story states quiet clearly that his friend's baseline for what it costs in Thailand was eight years ago. He and his friends have had steadily decreasing value for money since then. When I was in Thailand last October the Baht was 32.36 and when I left in January it was 30.35 and now it is 28.66. I spend $10,000 per year as a tourist. Since October, that's Baht 37K I don't get to spend. I happy you have a rich and successful wife and can afford to spend Baht 5K on a dinner for two at the Mandarin Oriental but your financial position has led you to look down on those who have to be careful with money during these tough financial times. Calling someone a Cheap Charlie because they don't have your wealth is 'dickish'.

Well the let's stay poor so tourists will keep coming strategy isn't a very good plan.

Thai people, unless very wealthy, do not experience higher standard of living because of a stronger Baht. They live on a Baht economy. It does hurt regular Thais if tourists from countries with now less spending power stop coming. In any case, I was not saying to keep Thailand poor; I was explaining why some would travel elsewhere.

If they drive any vehicle what so ever they feel the benefit every time they fill up. Since the power stations run on gas and bunker oil they feel it in their electricity bill every time.

He is
concerned about insufficient facilities and personnel including coaches, he
could always ask the coach drivers to drive twice as fast as they normally do,
and they will soon catch up with the backlog of coach tourists.

"The highest number of foreign visitors is from China, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, India, Vietnam and Indonesia."

Except for Japan, these are all tourists from countries that have little disposable income to spend while on holiday. Not something to brag about.

You do realise that there are more wealthy people in China than there are people in . . . the UK, don't you?

As for South Korea . . . you are absolutely correct, in 1950 there were very few Koreans with any money to speak of . . .but that was in the 50s.

India? See the first note regarding wealth in China . . . and they are spending big in many instances. Then there are those who don't - is this different from other countries? Aussie families vs Aussie backpackers?

Vietnam . . . I don't know too much about and Indonesia has very, very many wealthy people -

If you only look at average income or are Caucasian-centric in your thinking then you will always have a skewed outlook and false reasoning.

....i didnt move to thainland to be in mumbai,or moskow....

Oh, I love the irony . . . you didn't move to a foreign country to be . .. nah, too good to not leave it as it is

>What happened to Malaysians and Singaporeans who treats hat yai like their local playg

round.

I give up, what happened to them? And how did they treat HY as 'their local playground' . . . and is this a bad thing?

Do you not realise that the main supply of tourists for Hat Yai is ( ? was ) men from the south coming to "play"?

I do . . . And this is different from whiteys frequenting the scene in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket etc....? Why single out Malaysians and Singaporeans . . .

Again - how is this bad thing? Is it a bad thing because they are Asians?

Yes the
Indians sure know how to spend I see them all the time at nights in Walking
street into 711 for a Leo and share it amongst four and walk up and down with
the same bottle for half the night, and try and to negotiate the same sharing principals
with the hookers and they will all chip in a hundred baht for a night.

• Like 1

So why are they not sleeping, on the Beach. All the Holiday Hotels are full whenever i want one. Christmas/ New Year and Bike Week. Where do these vast and overwhelming numbers stay ?..Don't forget Business Travelers are counted as Tourists at Swampy, and Malay Border crossings. I recon and always have TAT is full of Poop.a job reserved for the Brainless Elite. Pop into their Offices here,and try finding an English Speaker.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Yes the

the same bottle for half the night, and try and to negotiate the same sharing principals

If that is all you want to see then that is all you will see . . . and when you say 'Indians' I'm sure you are referring to all 1.1 billion of them. Clearly.

I have a JV with a few people in Kerala and I can assure you they have more money than you have ever seen and spend more in a week than you would in a month.

The problem with gross generalisations is that they invariably make you look the fool - generally. thumbsup.gif

Yes the

If that is all you want to see then that is all you will see . . . and when you say 'Indians' I'm sure you are referring to all 1.1 billion of them. Clearly.

I have a JV with a few people in Kerala and I can assure you they have more money than you have ever seen and spend more in a week than you would in a month.

The problem with gross generalisations is that they invariably make you look the fool - generally. thumbsup.gif

The guy stated what he has seen, what has this to do with a gross generalisation? If anyone looks the fool its you for making this comment.

• Like 1

Around 2 million foreigners visiting Thailand for medical treatment

I would think that the number you quote includes all of the visits by expats who live here. They never ask me if I just came for medical treatment, they just treat me. Treat numbers as just that.

Oh, I love the irony . . . you didn't move to a foreign country to be . .. nah, too good to not leave it as it is

>What happened to Malaysians and Singaporeans who treats hat yai like their local playg

round.

I give up, what happened to them? And how did they treat HY as 'their local playground' . . . and is this a bad thing?

Do you not realise that the main supply of tourists for Hat Yai is ( ? was ) men from the south coming to "play"?

I do . . . And this is different from whiteys frequenting the scene in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket etc....? Why single out Malaysians and Singaporeans . . .

I don't read it as saying it's a bad thing. Sputjam appears to be saying that they aren't going to Hat Yai any more, which would affect the Hat Yai economy.

I don't read it as saying it's a bad thing. Sputjam appears to be saying that they aren't going to Hat Yai any more, which would affect the Hat Yai economy.

It's the 'men from the south coming to "play"' which sounded odd

<snip>I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times<snip>

No problem, we all have off days.

So, can I ask... how long have you been here?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It is not a case of "having a bad day" as much as sick and tired of the attitude held by many who choose to live here. I am going on to year three, and have carved out a wonderful life here. I work hard, make good money, have a beautiful and highly educated Thai wife who runs an international business with offices in Bangkok and Hong Kong, enjoy a spectacular view form a great condo, and enjoy living in a Thai portion of town with few foreigners. My street is filled with local business, nice restaurants, happy Thai middle class people who work very hard for what they have, and far from the Red Light mayhem others endure.

In short, i made a good decision, and am as happy as i have ever been.

It is my sincere hope you too have found a piece of happiness here. To me, it is much the same real life i had before work & more work, but finally, with a reward of getting a happy and sane return for it. I think the idea that life here is an "Endless Holiday" may be the root of the disconnect. I am not a tourist, or on holiday, i live here, work here and have a family to respect and care for. That may be the difference in my view.. it is not a Perfect Life, it is simply a Good Life.

And thank you for your detailed reply. You certainly have 'carved out a wonderful life here' and I hope it gets better and better. Some of us, unfortunately, are not so lucky - mostly in the choices we made - but we persevere in the hope of carving out a good life.

Good luck to you - may you 'live long and prosper'! smile.png

<snip>I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times<snip>

No problem, we all have off days.

So, can I ask... how long have you been here?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. It is not a case of "having a bad day" as much as sick and tired of the attitude held by many who choose to live here. I am going on to year three, and have carved out a wonderful life here. I work hard, make good money, have a beautiful and highly educated Thai wife who runs an international business with offices in Bangkok and Hong Kong, enjoy a spectacular view form a great condo, and enjoy living in a Thai portion of town with few foreigners. My street is filled with local business, nice restaurants, happy Thai middle class people who work very hard for what they have, and far from the Red Light mayhem others endure.

In short, i made a good decision, and am as happy as i have ever been.

It is my sincere hope you too have found a piece of happiness here. To me, it is much the same real life i had before work & more work, but finally, with a reward of getting a happy and sane return for it. I think the idea that life here is an "Endless Holiday" may be the root of the disconnect. I am not a tourist, or on holiday, i live here, work here and have a family to respect and care for. That may be the difference in my view.. it is not a Perfect Life, it is simply a Good Life.

And thank you for your detailed reply. You certainly have 'carved out a wonderful life here' and I hope it gets better and better. Some of us, unfortunately, are not so lucky - mostly in the choices we made - but we persevere in the hope of carving out a good life.

Good luck to you - may you 'live long and prosper'! smile.png

I doubt very much that you live in a middle class area. A middle class Thai would be on around baht 20,000 to 40,000 hardly enough for a condo with view even in a Thai only area. Sounds a lot more hiso, sounds like you both have international companies not paying tax. I say this because I know and have lived with many middle class Thais in Thai only areas. The only middle class Thais I know who live in riverside condos have family money.

Edited by waza

Certainly on Koh Chang over the past few weeks - it's noticeable that the greatest numbers are either Thais, Chinese and Russian. However, to say that the place is overwhelmed is not exactly accurate, and may of the local restaurants and bars are still struggling, as a lot of these tourists are not spending much when they get here - witness the amount of Eskies etc being carried onto the beach. Tesco and 7/11 though seem to be doing a roaring trade. I went out for dinner last night, in Lonely Beach and most of it was like a ghost town.

Yes I live in Chiang Mai and the touts and store owners say even Thais have more money than tourists now and that IS BAD as thais generally dont have enoiugh to spend. AND SHE WAS Talking about the locals.

Chines DO NOT spend a lot and nor do Russians. I read somewher ethat 1 European say German Belgium Dutch etc spends the same as 30 russiand and 1 Russian spends the same as 20 Chinese.

Go Figure Thailand on what you want - More TOURISTS and boast large numbers or more VALUE tourists who spend more all around

• Like 1

Certainly on Koh Chang over the past few weeks - it's noticeable that the greatest numbers are either Thais, Chinese and Russian. However, to say that the place is overwhelmed is not exactly accurate, and may of the local restaurants and bars are still struggling, as a lot of these tourists are not spending much when they get here - witness the amount of Eskies etc being carried onto the beach. Tesco and 7/11 though seem to be doing a roaring trade. I went out for dinner last night, in Lonely Beach and most of it was like a ghost town.

Yes I live in Chiang Mai and the touts and store owners say even Thais have more money than tourists now and that IS BAD as thais generally dont have enoiugh to spend. AND SHE WAS Talking about the locals.

Chines DO NOT spend a lot and nor do Russians. I read somewher ethat 1 European say German Belgium Dutch etc spends the same as 30 russiand and 1 Russian spends the same as 20 Chinese.

Go Figure Thailand on what you want - More TOURISTS and boast large numbers or more VALUE tourists who spend more all around

You read somewhere . . . how quaint, let's all take that as gospel then . . . thankfully you're seemingly not the least bit bigoted about Russians and Chinese

• Like 1

You read somewhere . . . how quaint, let's all take that as gospel then . . . thankfully you're seemingly not the least bit bigoted about Russians and Chinese

At least he is making a constructive effort to engage in a lively discussion, while your barbed gem is an attempt to projects an air of superiority and feeds your own ego by belittling other posters.

Meanwhile back on topic, the Thais may be right, you take a second rate tourist experience, with taxi, water ski, gem and tourist scams, market it as a top rate tourist destination, amazing Thailand the land of smiles, then over sell that experience to the point where they cant adequately service those numbers and the tourist keep on coming.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

At least he is making a constructive effort to engage in a lively discussion, while your barbed gem is an attempt to projects an air of superiority and feeds your own ego by belittling other posters.

Meanwhile back on topic, the Thais may be right, you take a second rate tourist experience, with taxi, water ski, gem and tourist scams, market it as a top rate tourist destination, amazing Thailand the land of smiles, then over sell that experience to the point where they cant adequately service those numbers and the tourist keep on coming.

A constructive effort? By throwing out numbers with absolutely no foundation . . . I guess if that is your idea of a discussion then you and your mates must have the world figured out.

. . . yet I agree with your second point. The problem with the TIT (as it is with any government tourist body) is that there is a disconnect between them and the 'product'. They have to market it but have no bearing nor control over the quality