Thailand Overwhelmed By Influx Of Foreign Tourists

webfact

The Chinese tourists would do better to explore their own country, which has some really great sites. Here, people may confuse them with Thais and think that Thai people are loud, spit all the time, cut in line, honk their horns like maniacs, don't slow down for pedestrians, talk loudly to staff, and are otherwise rude. Thai culture is a lot more mellow than contemporary mainland Chinese culture. But, really, China has many interesting places to visit including fantastic national parks, and "minority group" villages. For me, China is actually a better place to travel. For Chinese, they'd probably find a better experience and spend a lot less money in their own country (which includes a very Thai city in Southern China).

Meanwhile, I always know when the Chinese package tourists arrive at the guesthouse because the doors start slamming, and there's very loud talking in the hallways.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't panic all my friend's some 20+ have got the answer. They have been coming to Thailand every year for the last 8 year's, last year they said if the BT go's any lower this year it would be a no no.

Well it's happened are they still coming well no they have all booked up to go to Mexico.

-20 big spending Brit's panic over in one foul swoop.

Honestly, if a 3% change in value makes one flee to Mexico, i would hardly class them as "big spenders." More like "Cheap Charlies." Really? That changes their travel plans? LOL... Enjoy Mexico my friends...and remember to bring a gun to a gun fight, not a smile and a cold beer.

Maybe you should get your calculator out some 8 year's ago there was 70+ bt to the £ now 43 so that's 3% is it. Cheap charlies they stay in 5* hotel's and spend big time well did. Now Thailand is left with the package tourist's that dont spend 1 sue.

Yes, of course, it is perfectly logical to presume that you are talking about the exchange rate 8 years ago. Why would I presume they live in the present, and base their calculations on current conditions. Perhaps you should all just jump in your time machine, go back 8 years, and buy some Baht? in other words, you are kidding with this inane comparison. ? And yes, i stick to it, if they had plans to come to Thailand as much as 90 days ago, and this change in rates has made it a "no no" ...they can not afford it. Period.

Here, let me make it simple for you. Let's say a tourist planned to spend the equivalent of 5,000 USD on a trip to Thailand. Recently, (30 THB to the USD) that would be 150,000 THB. Now, today, at 29 THB to the USD, that would be 145,000 THB. Less than a dinner for two at the Mandarin Oriental. If 5,000 Baht is a deal breaker, you are one Cheap Charlie indeed.

5 Star guests, my a$$.

Don't panic all my friend's some 20+ have got the answer. They have been coming to Thailand every year for the last 8 year's, last year they said if the BT go's any lower this year it would be a no no.

Well it's happened are they still coming well no they have all booked up to go to Mexico.

Honestly, if a 3% change in value makes one flee to Mexico, i would hardly class them as "big spenders." More like "Cheap Charlies." Really? That changes their travel plans? LOL... Enjoy Mexico my friends...and remember to bring a gun to a gun fight, not a smile and a cold beer.

Maybe you should get your calculator out some 8 year's ago there was 70+ bt to the £ now 43 so that's 3% is it. Cheap charlies they stay in 5* hotel's and spend big time well did. Now Thailand is left with the package tourist's that dont spend 1 sue.

Yes, of course, it is perfectly logical to presume that you are talking about the exchange rate 8 years ago. Why would I presume they live in the present, and base their calculations on current conditions. Perhaps you should all just jump in your time machine, go back 8 years, and buy some Baht? in other words, you are kidding with this inane comparison. ? And yes, i stick to it, if they had plans to come to Thailand as much as 90 days ago, and this change in rates has made it a "no no" ...they can not afford it. Period.

Nice to see that you have conveniently left out the 15% rise in the last 4 month's is that present enough ??? just to make your case seem logical.

What I was trying to point out is that there are now many place's in the world where you can get much better value for their £ $. Peep's are showing it with their feet and not coming, nothing to do with they cant afford it.

Re other post let me make it simple for you. If you intended to spend £5,000 you would now have to spend £5,750 just to stand still. Then there's the price of the holiday now up by just over 10%, as I have said there's now better value place's to go in this world.

Edited by fredob43

I would like to say something to the TV community. I often write nasty and sarcastic replies to

those who spend the day throwing Thailand under the bus. I have taken a moment to ask myself why.

It is not because I think all Thias can walk on water, or it is a country of pure perfection. It is because I have self respect, and am an adult who made a decision to leave my native land to find a better and more happy life here. I could have gone anywhere,or stayed home. I chose Thailand, it did not choose me.

When a person spends their energy saying. “I hate it here, this sucks and I do not like the people” to me…they are saying “I am a helpless unhappy child not capable of making decisions that best serve my own self interest. I am a fool who chooses to remain in a situation I do not enjoy, and my only form of resolving this problem is to bitch and moan about it.”

That is the root of my sarcasm. It is like saying, “I could have married a beautiful woman, but elected to marry a fat cow who smells like dirty socks…oh boo hoo, poor me!”

That is why I keep posting variations of the American saying, “If you do not like what you are doing, do something else.” That is what we tell employees who whine about their job all day. You came to me and asked for a job, and got it. This is how we run our company, if it does not suit you, no blood, no foul…just pack up your stuff, and move on.

Same in this case.

Honestly, if you can do better than Thailand, why do you waste your precious and few days here? Really, grow a pair, pack your bag, and move to a better place. It is just that simple. The constant “my homeland is sooooo much better” rants make no sense! If that is true, it should be easy to return. You speak the language, do not need endless Visa hassles, relate to the population,

and were weaned on that type of food…etc.

Have some self respect and stop advertising the fact you made a mistake, are not happy, and for some odd reason, are helpless to fix it.

Thailand is not perfect, and I certainly am very far from perfect too, but I CHOOSE to live here, and make the best of it. I have learned much from the Thai about working hard, respecting others and generally sucking it up and moving forward, regardless of the obstacles (Look at the photos of the flood, do you see how they simply grasped the reality of the situation, and did the best they could

in a tough time?)

I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times, and I suppose it is not my business, but this is a public forum, read by people around the world, and to an outsider reading these posts, Thailand must seem like a pretty awful place. If it is so awful, why is it a major tourist destination, and why do so many foreigners make such efforts to live and remain here?

Simple. Thailand is a good place to live, with wonderful hard working people who do not let life get

them down. They are, in fact, a lot more resilient and optimistic than we Westerners are.

If you choose to make poor life decisions, live in places with a population you dislike…etc…why do you lose face by advertising the fact that you are like a child and cannot resolve this problem?

Well done mate...good for you. I only hope that you never experience anything to open your eyes.

I'd perhaps suggest that many of those who post in this way, have had these self same experiences at some point in their past and now know a little better...??

Incidentally, have you ever checked out the definition of trolling...? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

• Like 2

"Huge influx of foreign tourists."

Thailand has been working hard for that. Obviously they must be doing something right, things dont happen by accident.

Probably contributing to this is the general trend that Thai people care more about their environment.

You hardly see any garbage on the beaches anymore. The air, the rivers are noticeably cleaner (have you visited klong saen saeb in Bangkok recently?)

Not to mention the government's recent measures: total ban on ivory trade, ban on asbestos and strict regulation and enforcement on the use of pesticides, the replanting of thousands of acres of forest and so on...)

and the dismantling last week by the police forces of the phuket taxi mafia, the airport taxi scams and the pattaya jet ski scam (among others).

May be i am cynical, but i am writing what comes to my mind at this minute

You maybe right in some aspect's but i tend to think there are 2 Thailand and for sure Phuket/Patong is the other one as for the dismantling of the taxi mafia there we can live in hope but i doubt it very much .

i myself have written to TAT on several occasion's over the last few years of things that concern me about the future not to help me but to help the good local people and i did'nt even get a reply.

Lip service comes to mind.

Edited by jocko

A fair point but he didn't say they couldn't afford it just that they decided to go elsewhere. If you're spending a lot of money then a small change in the exchange rate can make a big difference. If you've been going to the same place for a while then this could be the push that makes you change.

I must admit I'm never sure about these tourist figures as I wonder how they distinguish between tourist and non tourist? I've never seen an answer to that one. I don't go to all these tourist places much anyway and I've never been to Phuket, Pattaya, Krabi, Hua Hin or Samui and I haven't been to Bangkok for over a month so I can't really comment but I often see post from people in these areas saying they can't see all these tourists so I'm sceptical about the figures.

Of course many of these tourists will have booked some time ago particularly if they were here last year and decided to book early for this year. Things may be different next year depending on the exchange rates. This year they may just spend less money. Of course this only applies to countries where there is a worsening exchange rate which may not apply in some Asian countries.

Edited by kimamey

I would like to say something to the TV community. I often write nasty and sarcastic replies to

those who spend the day throwing Thailand under the bus. I have taken a moment to ask myself why.

It is not because I think all Thias can walk on water, or it is a country of pure perfection. It is because I have self respect, and am an adult who made a decision to leave my native land to find a better and more happy life here. I could have gone anywhere,or stayed home. I chose Thailand, it did not choose me.

When a person spends their energy saying. “I hate it here, this sucks and I do not like the people” to me…they are saying “I am a helpless unhappy child not capable of making decisions that best serve my own self interest. I am a fool who chooses to remain in a situation I do not enjoy, and my only form of resolving this problem is to bitch and moan about it.”

That is the root of my sarcasm. It is like saying, “I could have married a beautiful woman, but elected to marry a fat cow who smells like dirty socks…oh boo hoo, poor me!”

That is why I keep posting variations of the American saying, “If you do not like what you are doing, do something else.” That is what we tell employees who whine about their job all day. You came to me and asked for a job, and got it. This is how we run our company, if it does not suit you, no blood, no foul…just pack up your stuff, and move on.

Same in this case.

Honestly, if you can do better than Thailand, why do you waste your precious and few days here? Really, grow a pair, pack your bag, and move to a better place. It is just that simple. The constant “my homeland is sooooo much better” rants make no sense! If that is true, it should be easy to return. You speak the language, do not need endless Visa hassles, relate to the population,

Have some self respect and stop advertising the fact you made a mistake, are not happy, and for some odd reason, are helpless to fix it.

Thailand is not perfect, and I certainly am very far from perfect too, but I CHOOSE to live here, and make the best of it. I have learned much from the Thai about working hard, respecting others and generally sucking it up and moving forward, regardless of the obstacles (Look at the photos of the flood, do you see how they simply grasped the reality of the situation, and did the best they could

in a tough time?)

I do apologize for being something of a Dick at times, and I suppose it is not my business, but this is a public forum, read by people around the world, and to an outsider reading these posts, Thailand must seem like a pretty awful place. If it is so awful, why is it a major tourist destination, and why do so many foreigners make such efforts to live and remain here?

Simple. Thailand is a good place to live, with wonderful hard working people who do not let life get

them down. They are, in fact, a lot more resilient and optimistic than we Westerners are.

If you choose to make poor life decisions, live in places with a population you dislike…etc…why do you lose face by advertising the fact that you are like a child and cannot resolve this problem?

Well done mate...good for you. I only hope that you never experience anything to open your eyes.

I'd perhaps suggest that many of those who post in this way, have had these self same experiences at some point in their past and now know a little better...??

Incidentally, have you ever checked out the definition of trolling...? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Clearly, you have missed the point, or my writing skills are not sufficient to make this idea understandable The thesis here is, if you are not happy in your situation, change it, and if it means in this scenario, leave Thailand ..so be it. If I were to experience something that changed my opinion, and made me unhappy to live here, i would not bitch about it, I would leave. It is a big world, filled with excellent choices. By the way, this posting has received about a dozen "Likes" in a very short period of time.

So, Yes, I know what trolling is, and the question is, which of us is employing the tactic? You could have just read this and went on your merry way, but did not. Your point is???

....i didnt move to thainland to be in mumbai,or moskow....

Oh, I love the irony . . . you didn't move to a foreign country to be . .. nah, too good to not leave it as it is

What happened to Malaysians and Singaporeans who treats hat yai like their local playground.

I give up, what happened to them? And how did they treat HY as 'their local playground' . . . and is this a bad thing?

• Like 1

Well, if they're overrunning the place, none of them are coming to Sam Roi Yot (thankfully). This place is dead as a doornail. Thai guy I know has a songtaew which he can't even run because he has no customers! And SRY has the biggest cluster of farangs and tourists between Hua Hin and Surat Thani.

Glad they moved the main Songkran party up the beach a bit. We're doing one run tomorrow for supplies, then we're on lockdown until Wednesday.

• Like 1

"He said Suvarnabhumi Airport served more than 51 million people last year and the number will likely increase to 55 million this year, while it is technically capable of servicing 45 million passengers annually. (MCOT online news)" Let me see now, take 45 from 55 ... oh that's 10 Million people we can't cope with...oops.

Well, if they're overrunning the place, none of them are coming to Sam Roi Yot (thankfully). This place is dead as a doornail. Thai guy I know has a songtaew which he can't even run because he has no customers! And SRY has the biggest cluster of farangs and tourists between Hua Hin and Surat Thani.

Glad they moved the main Songkran party up the beach a bit. We're doing one run tomorrow for supplies, then we're on lockdown until Wednesday.

Lock-down here too !

Same in this case.

in a tough time?)

Clearly, you have missed the point, or my writing skills are not sufficient to make this idea understandable The thesis here is, if you are not happy in your situation, change it, and if it means in this scenario, leave Thailand ..so be it. If I were to experience something that changed my opinion, and made me unhappy to live here, i would not bitch about it, I would leave. It is a big world, filled with excellent choices. By the way, this posting has received about a dozen "Likes" in a very short period of time.

So, Yes, I know what trolling is, and the question is, which of us is employing the tactic? You could have just read this and went on your merry way, but did not. Your point is???

I have lived here for over 25 year's and also love the place. I put a post in about why a group of my friend's are not coming this year, all down to the exchange rate nothing derogatory about Thailand what so ever and there you go jumping down my throat.

Buddha a few hour's in your company must make the long winter nights just fly by.

• Like 1

You notice that none of those Tourists are "Westerners" (Except for Russians which wikipedia notes as a sometimes grey area [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world]). I wonder how that is historically and if my pet theory that there has been a decline, if not just in percent, of "Western" tourists over the last few years. The photo seems to speak that story as well. It would be good to see numbers... but then "lies, damned lies and statistics".

You would think that there would be a drive to teach languages other than English in Thai schools, it seems Russian would be apt. They could have made it a requirement or even free lessons or something like that... but probably 10 years ago. When I first came to Thailand I noticed many Russians already.

Edited by horsewell

Same in this case.

in a tough time?)

My point was exactly as it's written mate - you're quite obviously living the dream and I hope you continue to do so, however; at the same time, it may be worth keeping in mind that not everyone is as lucky as you are to have gotten it right first time, and as such,may have a gripe or two about their plight and have every right to air this on open forum - isn't this what it's all supposed to be about...sharing views and experiences for the benefit of the many..?? I agree that if anyone's situation was unbearable, the only thing to do is to take remedial action, however; there are degrees of disdain - the situation may be enough to pi$$ them off, but not so much as to make them leave - after all, its a nice place, wouldn't you agree? That's why we're overwhelmed by the influx of tourists. smile.png

You notice that none of those Tourists are "Westerners" (Except for Russians which wikipedia notes as a sometimes grey area [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world]). I wonder how that is historically and if my pet theory that there has been a decline, if not just in percent, of "Western" tourists over the last few years. The photo seems to speak that story as well. It would be good to see numbers... but then "lies, damned lies and statistics".

You would think that there would be a drive to teach languages other than English in Thai schools, it seems Russian would be apt. They could have made it a requirement or even free lessons or something like that... but probably 10 years ago. When I first came to Thailand I noticed many Russians already.

Reading the thread would help:

But there are not fewer European tourists, definitely not 'fewer and fewer' as in Chicken Little . . . have a look at the stats posted earlier, they are quite self-evident.

Ok, if you classify Russians as Europeans then their numbers have swelled from app 1 to 1.3 million in 2011/12

Australians 829k to 930k

Brits 844k to 870k

Americans 681k to 767

Germans 619k to 681

and on it goes . . .

There are actually 'more and more' . . . and heaps 'more and more' Asian tourists

The percentage decline of 'westerners' is only true when compared to other countries' contributions - again, excepting Russians and they certainly are Europeans - what else would they be? (We are talking about the bulk of the Russians population coming from the far west of the country)

Everything is a drama in Thailand..

Too may tourists, not enough tourists, etc etc

Its just a case of everybody else is fault, not Thailand. Responsibility for ones actions is just not part of the program here, its demonstrated by nearly everyone and everything here. Just this morning there's an article siting the "bus driving too slow" as the cause of an accident, the fact she was undertaking it seemed irrelevant. Busses fault.

Interesting. This morning while watching the news on TV they showed a clip of a cop holding up a sign - urging motorists to drive faster - TIT!

So much for the dire predictions by the experts on TV as to how the strong Baht would result in no tourists. 29 Baht to the USD, and record setting tourism!

Next TV theory? "Rugby fans stop drinking beer due to tiny little price increase."

Well if you look at the list of countries you will notice they are all Asians. And for sure Thailand celebrates Songkran like no other country. Also it is probably only known by .0001% of the western countries.

• Like 1

As an aside Don Muang was geared to 45 M pax annually, so 'they' built Swampy to handle the same amount? I wonder if there was another 'agenda' for the billions spent on Swampy without forethought of handling the increase. Better put a Skype call in for some more answers or at least spark the motivation for the expansion.

Edited by Locationthailand

Where the fk is Sam Roi Yot?

Where the fk is Sam Roi Yot?

On my Top 3 National Parks List

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Perhaps Thailand should consider three international airports: one to cater to flights from the east, the second to take care of flights from the west and the third to take care of flights from the north and south. Two of the three already exist while the third (in waiting outside Pattaya) has a viable runway that can handle commercial jet traffic. One may argue that three airports are not enough since local and regional traffic as well as cargo traffic also has to be handled. Didn't we talk about this situation 10 years ago?

The local bank teller mentioned that her customers/friends who own tourism related businesses are seeing much less actual spending compared to previous years. With the inflated baht against other currencies one can see why.

A Thai lady friend paid 2,400 TB at a Hua Hin salon yesterday and was totally shocked/amazed/perplexed with what they charged for a 900baht cut & perm. Maybe the bubble is about to burst again . . . inflation translates to greed.

The highest number of foreign visitors is from China, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, India, Vietnam and Indonesia.

Interesting to see that the tourists mostly come from China and other parts of Asia. and someone told me they are all from the west.

lets hope they get some staff that speaks Chinese.

Just a few years ago, I rarely saw Chinese people in CM... Now they are EVERYWHERE

every bar on koh chang I went to was empty last week except for 4 or 5 staff and me, sheet not many drinkers but a few tourists about, 2nd time here and can smell the smoke everyday, puts me off,I am looking at Borneo next trip, cheers