Phuket Officials In Tough Checks On Ferry Safety

webfact

Phuket officials in tough checks on ferry safety
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1365752321_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Marine Police and officials from the Provincial Marine Office today (April 12) began stringent checks on ferry safety which will continue throughout the Songkran period.

Marine Office Director Phuriphat Theerakulpisut poses for a picture with a tourist.
Each ferry heading out of Phuket will be checked to ensure it is not overloaded with passengers, that there are enough life jackets for all on board, and that the skipper of the boat is not drunk.

This morning at Rassada Port – the main departure point for ferries to Phi Phi – tourists appeared surprised and a little nervous when uniformed officials came of board, but grateful when they understood what was going on. Some had officials pose with them for pictures.

The Director of the Marine Office, Phuriphat Theerakulpisut, told The Phuket News, “Today there are only three or four ferry departures [from Rassada], which is a smaller number than at this time last year.

“We work closely with the Marine Police to check life jackets and alcohol levels of the crew. There are 1,500 ferry boats, small and large, at Rassada Port, which all have to be checked.”

Usually, the ferries are spot-checked but during Songkran every ferry will be boarded before departure and checked as part of Phuket Governor Maitree Intusut’s Songkran policy. He said.

Mr Phuriphat smiled, adding, “I am happy when tourists are safe travelling around Phuket. And I would add, ‘With the right number on board, your safety’s ensured.’”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-in-tough-checks-on-ferry-safety-38604.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-12

Why don't they check the speed boats and drivers? I haven't read about a ferry sinking here fortunately, but I've read about plenty of speed boats carrying passengers sinking.

have you seen 1500 ferry boats in phuket? guess they count the speed boats too as ferry.

Why don't they check the speed boats and drivers? I haven't read about a ferry sinking here fortunately, but I've read about plenty of speed boats carrying passengers sinking.

have you seen 1500 ferry boats in phuket? guess they count the speed boats too as ferry.

Never. Another fine piece of journalism from the Phuket News. "There are 1,500 ferry boats, small and large, at Rassada Port, which all have to be checked.” Just at Rassa! I wonder if anyone every checks Chalong, Rawai or anywhere else on the island.

Edited by Jimi007