Three Foreigners Arrested Over A T M Fraud In Phuket

A simple authenticator (either as a keyring device or as a free app on your smartphone) will do the trick. Add biometrics if you're paranoid.

- Something you have

- Something you know

- Something you are

One problem with biometrics, would you like to lose your thumb if a thief cuts it off to steal your bank card, a Ferrari owner a few years back got car jacked and the jackers stalled the car, when they could not restart it they walked back over to the guy and cut his hand of with a machete.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting that banks from western countries cover the losses from fraud while Thailand banks do not.

As this is a 6 year old topic and is out of date, topic is closed. 

Years ago, there were stories in Mexico: a gringo (farang) would get kidnapped at 11:50 pm and taken to an ATM machine and compelled, at knife point, to take out the max amount. They'd wait a few minutes, until 12:01, and then take the max amount out again - then let the guy go. I don't know if it still happens there, and I hope I'm not giving anyone any bad ideas.

Years ago, there were stories in Mexico: a gringo (farang) would get kidnapped at 11:50 pm and taken to an ATM machine and compelled, at knife point, to take out the max amount. They'd wait a few minutes, until 12:01, and then take the max amount out again - then let the guy go. I don't know if it still happens there, and I hope I'm not giving anyone any bad ideas.

Nice story, but most likely untrue. With my US bank, Bank of America, that would never work. My ATM card has a 24 hour limit. After the first maximum withdrawal, I have to wait over 24 hours to make another withdrawal...

Many posters seems surprised that the names of the culprits are not french sounding.

About 3 millions of french were not born french and acquired nationality later by naturalisation or marriage.

There is also 7 millions of french who are descendant of immigrants and became french just by being born there.

About 30% of immigrants come from morocco, algeria and tunisia. That's more than 3 millions of french from those origins. Because muslims women are forbidden to marry non muslim men, it's no surpise that there are a lot of french with arabic names.

Edited by pistachios

I'd like to point out for the earlier posts going by half the expats in Phuket - they have some shity looking 1990s phone- only a few have smart phones and they are based around nai harn surin and kata where as the avg expat in Rawai, Phuket town or Karon patong have old style Non smart phones.

Now for the Thais - same applies depends on their suture action but the elder generations typically have old style phones

So how on earth can you set up a smart phone app- how ridiculous

It's simple cover the keypad!!

I was leaning more towards a SMS OTP, than an APP.

Anyway, after your transaction, be sure to press every button on the ATM keypad, even though you cover the keypad.

The skimmers clean the keypad, and then after you leave, apply fingerprint dust to reveal your 4 digit PIN. They can then have several attempts, but on different days, so the incorrect PIN attempts are reset, at the order of the digits for your PIN number.

@RogueLeader

Strange, seems to work fine when doing an online transaction.

Also, other members, like myself, who have two accounts, and frequently move money onto the account which has an ATM card, have not complained of the OTP "system" being unreliable.

Since you design system like this, can you tell me the difference between ebetering a OTP on the leyboard of your computer, or entering the OTP on the keypad of the ATM?

Yes. If your online purchase fails because the SMS subsystem is congested, you won't go without money until it's cleared and the knock-on effect of absolutely everyone else being in the same position won't have a massive impact on the local economy.

Edited by RogueLeader

I'd like to point out for the earlier posts going by half the expats in Phuket - they have some shity looking 1990s phone- only a few have smart phones and they are based around nai harn surin and kata where as the avg expat in Rawai, Phuket town or Karon patong have old style Non smart phones.

Now for the Thais - same applies depends on their suture action but the elder generations typically have old style phones

Anyway, after your transaction, be sure to press every button on the ATM keypad, even though you cover the keypad.

The skimmers clean the keypad, and then after you leave, apply fingerprint dust to reveal your 4 digit PIN. They can then have several attempts, but on different days, so the incorrect PIN attempts are reset, at the order of the digits for your PIN number.

Once you're the CEO of Visa or Mastercard, you can try to implement what ever you think would be a good idea. Until then, you and the rest of us are stuck with the existing system, adapt and as you have posted you have, and get over it...

Edited by Jimi007

Once you're the CEO of Visa or Mastercard, you can try to implement what ever you think would be a good idea. Until then, you and the rest of us are stuck with the existing system, adapt and as you have posted you have, and get over it...

So, we can put a man into space, do heart transplants etc etc etc etc but we can get around this criminal act. Really????

So, we can put a man into space, do heart transplants etc etc etc etc but we can get around this criminal act. Really????

Really! Your posting of your wonderful ideas here on TV are REALLY not going to change anything!

@RogueLeader

Also, other members, like myself, who have two accounts, and frequently move money onto the account which has an ATM card, have not complained of the OTP "system" being unreliable.

Since you design system like this, can you tell me the difference between ebetering a OTP on the leyboard of your computer, or entering the OTP on the keypad of the ATM?

Yes. If your online purchase fails because the SMS subsystem is congested, you won't go without money until it's cleared and the knock-on effect of absolutely everyone else being in the same position won't have a massive impact on the local economy.

I was talking about internet banking. My Kasikorn online banking has the OTP system. It has never failed, not once, here, and in two other countries. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe that's the norm. Do you have this system. Has it ever been unreliable for you?

After an careful and extensive study, the World found out that those were simple engineering tasks to do, compared to pleasing NamKangMan's mind.

@RogueLeader

I was talking about internet banking. My Kasikorn online banking has the OTP system. It has never failed, not once, here, and in two other countries. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe that's the norm. Do you have this system. Has it ever been unreliable for you?

You have OTP for your ATM or online Banking? Apples and oranges as the saying goes... Read you bank contracts.

• 6 years later...
On 4/15/2013 at 4:36 AM, NamKangMan said:

I have always wondered WHY the banks can't have an OTP (one time password) sent via SMS for every ATM transaction, just like they do for internet banking transactions.

The "skimmer" would also have to steal your phone - highly unlikely.

Surely this would be easy to implement and would make skimming a thing of the past, virtually overnight.

Great idea except not everyone has their phone on them 24/7. The world is not made up of just millennials. Also, it might slow the ATM line down quite a bit if there is a technical disruption or outage that keeps the OTP from getting to you immediately. Also, being outside of your home country could cause connectivity issues.