Three Foreigners Arrested Over A T M Fraud In Phuket

Skimming is becoming more and more prevalent - what are the banks doing to ensure their ATM's are skim-free?

Also, the news report shows 3 people and lists 3 names - but then it switches to 4 and then back to 3...who edits these articles?

Nothing!if your card is skimmed and its a thaibank you lose any money stolen

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting that banks from western countries cover the losses from fraud while Thailand banks do not.

As this is a 6 year old topic and is out of date, topic is closed. 

Have fun NKM, I'm not going further in another pointless discussion with you, as usual your twisting and turning everything that has been said. You've thrown your mud at the wall again, it doesn't stick.

I've not heard of that software. :) :) :) :)

@ stevenl

It would be very easy to implement. Similar software is already in use for internet banking.

There are no "roaming charges" to receive an SMS. Second time I have mentioned that.

Australia has one of the highest mobile phone ownership statistics in the world, per capita, for a country of only 22 million people. See below link. (dated 2007 - I am sure the stats are higher now)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_tel_mob_cel_percap-telephones-mobile-cellular-per-capita

Also, the phone only needs to receive an SMS. It can be any cheap basic phone, or an old phone. It doesn't have to be an expensive smart phone.

"A losing proposition" is what the banks are doing now - and that is, NOTHING.

My US phone will not receive an SMS from the US or anywhere else here in Thailand. My US carrier uses CDMA phones. It use to work, but no more. So much for that "solution."

Of course, you could also just give your US bank your Thai number. smile.pngsmile.png

Pft! They won't call or SMS an international number! Nice thought, but it ain't gonna fly!

Yes I had around 42,348 nicked from my UK account from someone in Vietnam. Never been there and have no idea where the skim took place, but definitely in Phuket or Samui/Phangan. This is not the first time though, it happened to me at Heathrow!

i always cover the keypad with my other hand so cameras and onlookers can't see the pin i'm entering. this should be safe right? the skimmers only get the card number, not the pin i think?

Safe unless they are using fake keypads on top of the original one.

@ stevenl

It would be very easy to implement. Similar software is already in use for internet banking.

There are no "roaming charges" to receive an SMS. Second time I have mentioned that.

Australia has one of the highest mobile phone ownership statistics in the world, per capita, for a country of only 22 million people. See below link. (dated 2007 - I am sure the stats are higher now)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_tel_mob_cel_percap-telephones-mobile-cellular-per-capita

Also, the phone only needs to receive an SMS. It can be any cheap basic phone, or an old phone. It doesn't have to be an expensive smart phone.

"A losing proposition" is what the banks are doing now - and that is, NOTHING.

My US phone will not receive an SMS from the US or anywhere else here in Thailand. My US carrier uses CDMA phones. It use to work, but no more. So much for that "solution."

Of course, you could also just give your US bank your Thai number. smile.pngsmile.png

Pft! They won't call or SMS an international number! Nice thought, but it ain't gonna fly!

It has absolutely nothing to do with the system your phone is using, and not even if you are abroad or not. As someone said it before me, delivery takes time sometimes, it is not very reliable. For internet banking, it's ok, but for ATMs not very much. I just don't see why you would have to make a fool of yourself saying that they would not text or call you abroad... Google does that all the time, and so does my bank.

if you don't understand something, just stay out of it. being old does not in itself make you smarter these days.

Edited by lowushatin

Why blame the banks....???

Why would some idiot want to let their ATM cards out of their sight???

Is it so hard to check an ATM and realize it has a strange box where the card is inserted...

Next thing, banks will be responsible for getting you drunk and handing too much cash to your BG, which you had forgotten about....

Sheeesh... take some responsibility !!!!

Why blame the banks....???

Why would some idiot want to let their ATM cards out of their sight???

Is it so hard to check an ATM and realize it has a strange box where the card is inserted...

Yes it is. ATM's doesn't all have standard look, there are very many variations.

The skimmers and keypads are pretty sophisticated devices. Do a google search. I would not be so sure that I could see the difference between real ATM front and one which have skimmer installed on top of it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the system your phone is using, and not even if you are abroad or not. As someone said it before me, delivery takes time sometimes, it is not very reliable. For internet banking, it's ok, but for ATMs not very much. I just don't see why you would have to make a fool of yourself saying that they would not text or call you abroad... Google does that all the time, and so does my bank.

if you don't understand something, just stay out of it. being old does not in itself make you smarter these days.

I have lived here for over 8 years. My US nor my banks have ever called me once! I use to, as I said receive an SMS to my Verizon phone from B of A to transfer money online. When it stopped working I called them. They said they their phones do not work in Thailand, period! There is no longer any CDMA in Thailand by the way. CAT used CDMA for internet, but it has been phased out! Of course you must be much smarter and more informed than me about my own business... annoyed.gif I see now why you have all of twelve posts. You have absolutely nothing of importance to add to any discussion!

Edited by Jimi007

Skimming is becoming more and more prevalent - what are the banks doing to ensure their ATM's are skim-free?

Also, the news report shows 3 people and lists 3 names - but then it switches to 4 and then back to 3...who edits these articles?

I have always wondered WHY the banks can't have an OTP (one time password) sent via SMS for every ATM transaction, just like they do for internet banking transactions.

The "skimmer" would also have to steal your phone - highly unlikely.

Surely this would be easy to implement and would make skimming a thing of the past, virtually overnight.

I use SCB and if there is any withdrawl from my account over 2,000thb i receive an automatic message from the Bank on my phone via sms. Usually before i have even put the money in my wallet.

Advice for any one interested. I have one main account with NO ATM. When i am going out shopping etc i transfer 5,000thb into my secondary account via IB, go to the ATM and draw 2-3000thb. It means that at any time i have a maximum of 5,000thb in my account, usually for only about 1 hour.

I also pay CASH for everything.

Phuket Police bust ATM card fraud gang
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Tourist Police have arrested two French nationals and a Tunisian man for operating an ATM card fraud scam in Phuket.

The foreigners – named by police as French nationals Mahamond Mhoussin, 22, and Zaidi Ganzouai, 29, and Tunisian national Ramzi Adjemi, 31 – were presented to the press at the Phuket Tourist Police headquarters in Phuket Town this morning.

“Tourist Police yesterday received a tip-off of an ATM scam gang operating in Phuket. We were able to apprehend the suspects and found them in possession of 27 items related to ATM card fraud,” Col Yotsavee said.

Among the items seized in making the arrests were a laptop computer with an ATM data card reader, 70 fake electronic cards coded with account information for withdrawing money, 7.5 grams of cannabis and about 6,000 euros in cash and about 134,000 in baht.

“All three suspects were arrested at a house in Kathu at about 3pm,” Col Yotsavee said.

Mr Mhoussin and Mr Ganzouai were charged with illegally staying in the country, falsifying electronic cards, possession of equipment for falsifying data on electronic cards, and using the fake electronic cards.

Mr Adjemi was charged with all of the above, and with possession of an illegal drug.

“The gang withdrew cash from ATMs in many areas across Phuket so they could go shopping and they changed the money they stole into euros,” Col Yotsavee explained.

The three men were to be detained at Thung Thong Police Station for further questioning, he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Police-bust-ATM-card-fraud-gang-20786.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-15

I have always wondered WHY the banks can't have an OTP (one time password) sent via SMS for every ATM transaction, just like they do for internet banking transactions.

The "skimmer" would also have to steal your phone - highly unlikely.

Surely this would be easy to implement and would make skimming a thing of the past, virtually overnight.

Very inconvenient, and who is going to pay for the roaming charges?

Quite a few banks have IMO much better solutions for internetbanking than the SMS passwords by the way.

Well it would work for those who have mobile phones on roaming. But personally I have lost a few SMS messages before and don't want to be stuck in-front of an ATM machine with my card stuck inside wondering what to do.

It would be good if we were told what to look out for with regard to skimming, how do they achieve it? Was it a gadget stuck on the front of the ATM or what.

It's really entertaining to see old mongers pretend they understand basic concepts like SIM cards when actually they don't.

Some of us do grasp some aspects of a SIM card, and an ATM card. The SIM cards just vanish into the ATM machines though.