Phuket: Family Looks For Help To Get Injured American Back Home

webfact

@ Jimi007

No, not an insurance salesman. Personally, I hate insurance companies.

Just saying, that for a guy earning big money on a rig, he, and anyone else who comes here or lives here, should have insurance. That's all.

Maybe the OP is a wake-up call to some here.

No, no insurance will pay for the repatriation. There is no medical need for repatriation, he was living here and now wants to move back home.

Own choice, own payment.

Note the words "vacation" and "on leave." They were probably 1 month on the rig and 2 weeks or 1 month off the rig. A lot of "Rig Pigs" come to Thailand for booze and the sex. Nothing new about that. These guys would have just been on a 30 visa exemption stamp. Doesn't sound a lot like "he was living here" to me.

Do you know George?

NO, you don’t. Please stop spewing bullshit you know nothing about.

No, no insurance will pay for the repatriation. There is no medical need for repatriation, he was living here and now wants to move back home.

Own choice, own payment.

Note the words "vacation" and "on leave." They were probably 1 month on the rig and 2 weeks or 1 month off the rig. A lot of "Rig Pigs" come to Thailand for booze and the sex. Nothing new about that. These guys would have just been on a 30 visa exemption stamp. Doesn't sound a lot like "he was living here" to me.

Do you know George?

Do you know George? If yes, please tell us why he wasn't insured. Working on a rig, affordability was hardly the reason.

@ Jimi007

No, not an insurance salesman. Personally, I hate insurance companies.

Just saying, that for a guy earning big money on a rig, he, and anyone else who comes here or lives here, should have insurance. That's all.

Maybe the OP is a wake-up call to some here.

+1 thumbsup.gif

Do you know George?

Do you know George? If yes, please tell us why he wasn't insured. Working on a rig, affordability was hardly the reason.

@NamKangMan

Your comment above has nothing to do with insurance, but everything to do with judging the character of someone you have never met. I highly suggest using a crystal ball next time, it would be more accurate.

Do you know George?

@NamKangMan

Your comment above has nothing to do with insurance, but everything to do with judging the character of someone you have never met. I highly suggest using a crystal ball next time, it would be more accurate.

Seriously, one books their flight, their hotel room, organises to catch up with friends etc - GET INSURANCE AS WELL.

It really is as simple as that.

Insurance should be viewed in the same light as getting the flight heer - you have to pay it.

As for your post, well, it's sounds like you are judging my character. Glass houses and stones my friend. :)

Do you know George?

@NamKangMan

Seriously, one books their flight, their hotel room, organises to catch up with friends etc - GET INSURANCE AS WELL.

It really is as simple as that.

Insurance should be viewed in the same light as getting the flight heer - you have to pay it.

As for your post, well, it's sounds like you are judging my character. Glass houses and stones my friend. smile.png

The problem here (and usually) is you are characterizing without even knowing the people 'They were probably 1 month on the rig and 2 weeks or 1 month off the rig. A lot of "Rig Pigs" come to Thailand for booze and the sex.'

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, this guy, should have got on the internet or phone on the rig, or organised a yearly multi-travel policy, and bought a cheap travel insurance policy just to cover liability, medical and repatriation. The guy in the OP obviously didn't, and now asks for donations.

Of course, this depends if he was riding legally.

"Cheap travel insurance policy just to cover liability, medical and repatriation"? so how much does this cost, how long does it last, I need something like this but I stay here for a long time, 2 or 3 years sometimes, and I am over 50, where does one buy "Cheap" insurance? ...The guy needs help getting home, thats the bottom line, so he messed up and had an accident not his fault...yes in a perfect world everybody has good insurance, a good job, plenty of money and plenty to eat, so many Monday Morning Quarterbacks here, bla bla bla...

Edited by Rainmon

A bit weird. Usually people ask for help when they cannot pay hospital bill but he is "lucky" enough that insurance paid all but still want more ?

And all family members cannot manage to get $15000 ?

Wish him the best and as good recovery as possible.

Article also mentioned that "Social Security" would cover his cost in the USA, it will not cover his medical issues in the USA. Medicare / Medicade might help but his Social Security, no chance. He might get 1000 USD a month, more if he is lucky. That won't even cover the cost of prescription drugs.

Edited by commande

Own choice, own payment.

"Mr Harris, 53, who worked offshore with a Singapore-based company installing oil and gas pipelines, on oil rigs and was on one of his regular vacations in Phuket, when he was hit by a car driven by a Belgian, a regular visitor to the island."

"Like George, Hal Harris worked offshore and stayed in Phuket when on leave. He says he had to abandon his job after the accident in order to look after George."

So, this guy, should have got on the internet or phone on the rig, or organised a yearly multi-travel policy, and bought a cheap travel insurance policy just to cover liability, medical and repatriation. The guy in the OP obviously didn't, and now asks for donations.

Of course, this depends if he was riding legally.

"Cheap travel insurance policy just to cover liability, medical and repatriation"? so how much does this cost, how long does it last, I need something like this but I stay here for a long time, 2 or 3 years sometimes, and I am over 50, where does one buy "Cheap" insurance? Some many Monday Morning Quarterbacks here, bla bla bla...

I'm here on travel insurance. You can buy travel insurance policies over the internet, with reputable companies. Only takes a few minutes if you do not want coverage for specified items. Eg. $3000 camera.

They are quite cheap, considering what it could cost you if you are seriously injured, or have a serious illness. Eg. heart attack. Without it, you could be left broke and asking for donations, like the guy in the OP.

For some of the travel insurance companies, you can buy a policy whilst outside of your country of citizenship. So, if they only offer a 12 month policy, just buy another one.

I'm no Monday Morning Quarterback - and I'm certainly not your babysitter. Do some reseach yourself.