Isaan Maps

udon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried "PointAsia" it is kind of like Google earth, but better resolution. It is SW you download and can view see an arial view of any town in Thailand & other SE asian countries. I use it to look at some property I am thinking about buying. Great stuff really. Try it. look for the english tab. There is a sequence of installs you need to do. It is worth the effort.

• 4 weeks later...
This is by far the best on-line map I've found so far. It goes down to 100m guage, shows all sorts of info, hotels/bars/seven elevens/bars/nosh shops/bars/nightclubs/bars/and if your fav bars not mentioned tell them and they will put it on.

http://map.longdo.com/longdomap?lat=17.1935546875

forgot to mention, you can print it too

Thanks for that stattointhailand

GR8 map plus only one i'v seen with my village on AND an option for a Vista sidebar gadget!

Dave

Best fold up map I've seen so far is the one from Thinknet

MapMagic CD + Large Paper Map

[bilingual Version]

Road Map of Thailand 2005-2006

299 Baht

2nd best would be Michelin map # 965

New number is # 751

The road atlas is # 165 with a slightly better scale.

Surin to Khorat: Not long :o

I can recommend the MapMagic package...the bilingual feature really helps, my wife is learning to read maps.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I can recommend the MapMagic package...the bilingual feature really helps, my wife is learning to read maps.

Now thats wot I call a brave man. :D

Maps & Females are a very dangerous mix :D:D

Dave

I can't work out why chicks spin the maps around and around as you turn corners or bends in the road? :o:D The constant moving map drives me up the wall :wai: Thank goodness for the Navigator....now if only I could find one that didnt have such an annoying voice, its kinda like listening to that Steven Hawkings bloke....grrrr

• 1 month later...

*** If you have any good street maps of towns and cities, in this area, please post them here without comments.

There is a new bilingual street map of Ubon Ratchathani just out.

4 one-sided sheets, colour, covers the whole urban area: Ubon and Wairn Chamrup. It claims to have every street, temple, school, goverment office and bus route, and I've found nothing missing so far... it's got everything down to roadside milestones and traffic lights and even the Ubon mosque (who knew there was one?).

It's published by Faculty of Management Science, Ubon Ratchathani Uni, and lists their phone number as 045353804 (maybe they'll post you a copy in return for a money order...)

The Ubon TAT office doesn't sell it for some reason, but they have a list of places in Ubon that do: Wrong Way, N-Joy, Risotto, Sakhon and Fern Hut restaurants, Ratchathani Hotel, Ubon San bookshop...

Best map I've seen in Thailand... sells for 150 baht. Check it out.

• 6 months later...

I was in despair of finding a street map of KKC until I wandered into a book shop in the Com mart, next to the Khosa Hotel. I took a chance on the ThinkNet/MapMagic package and have been delighted with it.

*Scalable from 1:7.6m to 1:5,000

*Thai/English language switch

*Search (I use it all the time to look up places mentioned in TV, The Post, The Nation etc.)

*Zoom and pan

*Distance measuring

*Layers for hotels, gas, hospitals, places of worship, government offices et soforth

*Add/mark favorites

*Long/Lat link to cursor

*Instant online to the website

It does not have the smaller villages, but usually has the wat in the village. That's how we found ours.

Oddly enough, it has been an aid to learning Thai pronounciation: I pronounce a place name, switch the map to Thai, and my wife corrects me. The switch on occasion also helps her figure out what the devil I am trying to say.

For overall utility, you can't beat it, especially for B300.

Check out your Google Earth. Sangkha, Surin area has been upgraded, much better resolution. Not sure of the image date (where can you find it?) but this time it is a dry season image, the previous image was taken in a high wet season.

• 3 months later...

Now thats wot I call a brave man. :)

Maps & Females are a very dangerous mix :D:D

Dave

Yes, it can be...

Typically, I will get an idea of where we are headed, sometimes writing down some rough directions if needed. Then I let the wife do the map navigation and see if it matches mine, offering corrections as needed.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all your efforts. I am new to Isaan and am located a/b 90 K from Kaeng Khlor and 60 K from Chaiphum (pls excuse my spelling). I would like a detailed map of each city. We would like to find various stores or outlets which sell everything from "real coffee" to electric supples and construction material. Thanks if you can help. Thanks if you can't :-)

Cheers,

Keoki

• 9 months later...

Aussapper, I have a house on Rt 212 near the Ban Daan School. The airport is supposedly closed at Loeng Nok Tha, but I have seen Thai soldiers flown into there as recent at January 2007. I took a scooter trip through there and the ramps are in ill repair. The runway is not bad for small aircraft, but I'm not sure about having heavies land on it. Since 2006, Rt 212 has increased from a 2 lane to a 4 lane road all the way to Mukdahan. Were you in the group that built the road in Ban Daan?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get big scale maps of local areas here?

Presumably the highways departments and the 'amphoe' officers must have them, but will they sell copies and who does one ask?

I would like to know if you have had any success in getting these maps. I am also after large scale maps of the area between Mukdahan and Ubon along Route 212. I am particularly interested in the area around Loeng Nok Tha, about half way between Amnat Charoen and Mukdahan. I worked there in 1967-68 on the construction of the airfield and a rural development road. I would also be interested in making email contact with people who are currently living in the area or are familiar with it. This includes any Brit or Australian Sappers or others who worked on the airfield/road.

Aussapper

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that mate, i got the ones the other day as well and i bougt a big fold out and a a4 size road map, but i am still guessing on how long it will take from Surin to Korat :o

Between 4-5 hours depending on speed and traffic.

Thanks for that mate, i got the ones the other day as well and i bougt a big fold out and a a4 size road map, but i am still guessing on how long it will take from Surin to Korat :o

Should be much less than that. .Surin to Korat is approx. 200 kilometres. Between Prasat, Plackonchai and Nang Rong , it is only 2 lanes. From Nang Rong. it is 4 lanes all the way. Caution !!The highway police are out pretty near every day , on the 4 lane section.On the return ,the highway may not be in such good condition.

Edited by afarang

Should be much less than that. .Surin to Korat is approx. 200 kilometres. Between Prasat, Plackonchai and Nang Rong , it is only 2 lanes. From Nang Rong. it is 4 lanes all the way. Caution !!The highway police are out pretty near every day , on the 4 lane section.On the return ,the highway may not be in such good condition.

Imo, the quickest and less congested route is on the 226 to about 5 km short of Buriram, then a left turn (signposted Khorat) on the Buriram outer ring road and thereafter it's virtually plain sailing (185 km, just over 2 hours).

• Like 1

Imo, the quickest and less congested route is on the 226 to about 5 km short of Buriram, then a left turn (signposted Khorat) on the Buriram outer ring road and thereafter it's virtually plain sailing (185 km, just over 2 hours).

Quite correct , if you are coming from or North of Amphur Muang,coming from South of Amphur Muang, then highway 24 is best.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite correct , if you are coming from or North of Amphur Muang,coming from South of Amphur Muang, then highway 24 is best.

I have done Chaen Waen Sangkha to Korat Centre on more than one occasion, but always via route 24.

Best time for the 245 Km trip is departed Home at 1750 and parked in Korat at 2020, with a 15 minute Fuel/Food stop at Nang Rong. Total driving time 2 hrs 15 m !!

I made best use of the little Honda Jazz and its 7 Speed semi Auto box and the headlights of course !!

GPS and Radar Detector....also valuable additional extras :-)

Cheers, MH

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...