Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

is this for real? now you need to come twice? once to get the test date and then another day for the actual test?!

Yes its for real as reported by myself last year.

here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/?p=6465865

and here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/?p=6519851

Edited by johng

For a Thai person who wants to get their first Thai motorcycle license and does not have a IDP, the wait for a test date is now 12 days. Only the first 80 people per day get a test date. If, you are not part of the first 80, you have to come back the next day, line-up again to get a test date. The line-up for the test date is at building 3, to the left of the main building. My friend got #46 by arriving at 7:40 a.m. Be aware that to get a test date, you have to bring a medical certificate, photo copies of front and back of your Thai ID card and a passport size photo.

is this for real? now you need to come twice? once to get the test date and then another day for the actual test?!

photo copies of front and back of your Thai ID card and a passport size photo.

I don't have a Thai ID card... I guess I'll stay with my outdated international driving permit.

Yes it is for real! My post was based on actual experience on 14May.

Maybe you will you will have to come 3 times if the first time you come and you do not come early enough to be part of the first 80.

Edited by cigar7

For a Thai person who wants to get their first Thai motorcycle license and does not have a IDP, the wait for a test date is now 12 days. Only the first 80 people per day get a test date. If, you are not part of the first 80, you have to come back the next day, line-up again to get a test date. The line-up for the test date is at building 3, to the left of the main building. My friend got #46 by arriving at 7:40 a.m. Be aware that to get a test date, you have to bring a medical certificate, photo copies of front and back of your Thai ID card and a passport size photo.

I don't have a Thai ID card... I guess I'll stay with my outdated international driving permit.

Yes it is for real! My post was based on actual experience on 14May.

Maybe you will you will have to come 3 times if the first time you come and you do not come early enough to be part of the first 80.

Ok but how do you get a Thai ID card as a foreigner??

Short answer you dont

long answer apply for Thai citizenship after many years you'll ( maybe ) get the Thai ID card

As a foreigner you don't need a Thai ID card to get a Thai driving Licence.

Short answer you dont

long answer apply for Thai citizenship after many years you'll ( maybe ) get the Thai ID card

As a foreigner you don't need a Thai ID card to get a Thai driving Licence.

That's what I thought "cigar7" is talking bullshit.

That's what I thought "cigar7" is talking bullshit.

Maybe you should read what cigar7 said a bit more carefully.

Or maybe You should:

Be aware that to get a test date, you have to bring a medical certificate, photo copies of front and back of your Thai ID card and a passport size photo.

here I'll make it easy for you

For a Thai person who wants to get their first Thai motorcycle license

Oops OK sorry! So for us foreigners we don't need to get a test date are not limited to the 80 first arrived? We can just show up and make the test? Thanks.

As far as I know ,

Yes foreigners also have to get a test date and limited numbers apply if doing the whole kaboodle ...ie from scratch no previous licence

If you have an old Thai licence or foreign licence with photo and English language then no need for appointment.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just been to the Chiang Mai Immigration with my application for certificate of residency, so I can renew my Thai driving Licence. Gave in the application and my house rental agreement. They told me I have to go to another immigration office for this certificate now. I get to the other Immigration office behind what sound like ' Kwa Pa tong ' which looks like its being built? Some distance from the airport, we notice many people from Myannmar. Well I present the documents and I'm asked for 500 baht . I hand over the money but inquire why the fee as I didn't pay this for the Thai licence the first time? Is this a new fee now, ? Then the application forms are handed back to me but no certificate of residency. I'm told I have to apply to my Embassy. After going back to the first immigration office at the airport, they don't seem to understand why I don't have the certificate or why I was asked for 500 baht. They told me to go back there and see another official there. Ive beemn in Thailand for 12 years and recently come here from Phuket. Anyone else have to go to the 'other' Immigration office? Or have extra fees ?

It took me about 4 hours at Nongprue municipal office to get my first 1st drivers license about 3 months ago. A very busy office. Took my passport and yellow book. Did an eye test and hand eye reactions test and that was it. A lot of waiting time..as usual for most things here.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Visited Transport Dept by BTS Banchak train station...

UK Car Driving Licence used to obtain a Thai driving licence, critical document was the UK photo card...... then took 3-4 basic practical simple tests...

I could not obtain my Thai motorcycle licence as I only had a 125cc Test certificate valid for only 2 years, with NO photo card, but was current and valid.

Fortunately I did not have to queue at 4 am as appears having the Thai Car licence photo prevented this.

Motorcycle licence = 30 multiple choice questions, computer test upstairs on level 3, open at 9am, pretty empty

Contrary to the answer I received from the booking clerk there, there are English info books & a video to watch on the ground floor behind counter 7 i think, you walk through behind the counter look for 2 Televisions.

You then come back at 1pm and do the scooter test while a load of car licence test people are anxiously waiting.

Tiny driving circuit, 4 stops at giveway signs, and slow riding around cones... simples...

If you dont have your own scooter maybe you have to hire one for the day or borrow one of a friend?

Waited for approx 90 mins and got phot card motorcycle licence.

The beauty is the licence is for unlimited motorcycle engine size!!

& check the name on the card as the name is written twice, and my lower name was in Thai....!

Went back the next day and as I didnt notice mistake on same day they charged me another 100bht to process card, no bother, i didnt queue as went straight to the same lady who made the error, as usual a helpful local was there to translate...

So I got motorcycle licence the following day after obtaining Thai car licence, as the Thai car licence prevented me from queuing at 4am to be in the days quota... result!

A4C

My 1 year drivers license will expire in August but later this week I will be leaving to Australia for work for 3 months so only returning in September so should i renew beofre leaving or can i renew after I get back or will this be expired too long and will have to start all new?

My 1 year drivers license will expire in August but later this week I will be leaving to Australia for work for 3 months so only returning in September so should i renew beofre leaving or can i renew after I get back or will this be expired too long and will have to start all new?

Renew when you come back.

You can renew a temporary license 2 months before and up to 1 year after expiry, before having to take any additional tests. So you do have plenty of time to apply for your first 5 year license when getting back in September.

If you went to the Bang Lamung Chonburi Land Transportation office today, as a Thai, to obtain your first motorcycle license you would have received an appointment for your test on 15 June 2014.

The testing is a 2 day affair. First day starts at 8 a.m.. If you are not in the room, prior to 8:15 a.m., your test is canceled and you have to line-up again for a new appointment date. The morning sessions consists of lectures, and physical tests, like colour, depth perception, visual width, reaction time. The road test is in the afternoon, consisting of, turns, signaling, driving straight between markers set apart 30cm., stopping behind white lines, etc.

Second day is the written test. The day starts at about 9:30 a.m.

Edited by cigar7

I didnt have either license and wanted to do it before the rules change wasnt sure if i could get it done in time

I dont have motorcyle in my home country just car and i wanted both soooo

1. Got med certificate 150 baht from doctor and quick check up

2. Got resident certificate

3. headed to office by the school off of highway 7 and on highway 36 at 2pm

4. Got lost a few times but found it

5. was told i was to late to apply come back by 8am

6. I came at 745 on wednesday morning

7. Falangs and thais there lots of russians

8 Doors opened up at 815 or so after they put Thai people on the left and falangs on the right

9. Got a queue number

10. waited 30 min to go upstairs

11. They checked my paper work

12. Got ticket for eye test and reaction test

13. Did color eye test 30 min later passed

14. Did reaction test your foot on gas until a light appears then u slam the break - passed

15. Paid for car license 205 baht

16. Took photo

17, Got Car License

18. Told to wait by test center for motorbike (like i said i didnt have a motorbike license)

19. Waited by insanely loud and pushy russians that really slowed the process down

20. Finally got into test center,

21. 30 multiple choice questions u have an hour too do the test and 2 chances

22. I did it in 5 minutes and passed it

23 Told to wait downstairs for an hour then on to motorbike outside test

24. Went out side, did a walk around the course

25. The Thais went first on the actual test, they sent a new person along the test about ever 50 meters

26. Test consisted of

a Go up a small hill

b. Move into another lane (signal light optional)

c. Go around some cones

d. Go over a little raised section that is quite narrow and long without falling off

e. Turn to the left

f. Two controlled stops

Rules - you cant put your feet down, except at stops, you cant hit the cones, you cant fall off the little bridge

Some people failed, some people failed but the instructors didnt watch them so they passed anyway

if you fail you can come back the next day

I didnt fail and either did the girl in front of me though she hit two cones and fell off the bridge but no one noticed

went back upstairs

photo again

got license

paid 170 baht for motorbike license and test

done

Did it all in one day

I was there until about 3pm so 745 to 3pm

what i didnt enjoy

1. Air conditioning was very bad so it was hot and i was sticky all day

2. Russians very loud but that seems to be the way it is, it was hard to hear names being called etc

3. somewhat confusing thoughout the day and never quite sure if u are in the right place:)

4. You need a bike to take the test, u can bring your own... yes u can fail the test and drive home on it, u can also rent one t here for 200 baht or so

I was impressed below though

5. I respect the Thai people that work there, to go through that day after day they have thick skins a few times i thought one of them would blow up but they kept their cool there was even a drunk falang there trying to take the test, that they eventually had to send off in a police truck

I know June 1st the rules change, new test of 50 questions, have to get 90% instead of 75%, plus training i believe of 12 hours and 4 hour video training, sure most of the process willl stay somewhat the same just a little more difficult

Edited by kevindorian

• 4 weeks later...

The rules have changed again it seems—as of June 25, 2014.

Normally when you transfer ownership of a vehicle i.e. you purchase a vehicle and wish to put it in your name and/or when you apply for a drivers license for a car or motorcycle, one must first obtain/complete a certificate of residence (C of R) at your local immigration office and then proceed to the transportation office to apply for a license or change ownership of a vehicle (register the vehicle in your name).

This was not new to me as I have been through this hoop several times before in the last 10 years.

Today I went to the Chiang Mai Immigration office to obtain a Certificate of Residence (C of R) so I can transfer a motorcycle to my name ---- SURPRIZE SURPRIZE, the nice Immigration officer tells me as of June 25, 2014 they are no longer issuing a Certificate of Residence (Cof R) to Farangs!!!!!!

He told my Thai friend that the order has come down (from the top) that until further notice the C of R will not be issued to Farangs. He said that he does not know how long this will be in effect but without the (C of R) Farangs will no longer be able to change the title of a vehicle to your name and furthermore he said Farangs will no longer be able to obtain a first time drivers license because a (C of R) is required for first time applicants of a drivers license.

When I suggested to my friend that a small donation may help grease the procedure, my friend said that donations are no longer accepted since the new Sheriff rode into town.

The good news is that a (C of R) is NOT required to renew a Thai Drivers License. The officer further said that the new rule concerning the (C of R) does not apply to Thai Nationals---only Farangs.

I am curious if anyone else can share their experience since June 25, 2014 concerning obtaining a Certification of Residence from other Immigration offices in the Country. Can anyone can provide a work-a-round to this (in my opinion) silly rule? It’s a catch 22 situation for sure.

Oh, and according to my Thai friend, the officer has no idea why this order has been implicated.

edited for senior typo moments

Edited by just_another_guy

Thank you Bpuumike----that might be the perfect work-around for others like me who wish to register a vehicle or in some cases wanting to get a driver’s license for the first time.

I think the U.S. Embassy will be in Pattaya next month so I am going to pop down to Pattaya and first try to get a Certificate of Residence (C of R) from the Jomtiem Immigration office (since no one knows if this refusal is Chiang Mai specific) and if that doesn’t work I'll ask my Embassy to issue me a (C of R) which will require the normal notary charge I’m sure----but if the Land-Transport office accepts it in lieu of Immigration’s (C of R) form----then, well, Bob’s your uncle.

edit: typos

Just a quick update.

I just received an email from the U.S. Embassy who will in fact issue a Certificate of Residency----they refer to it as an Affidavit of Residence. With the Affidavit of Residence in hand, I hope there will not be additional HOOPS we need to jump through to change ownership of vehicles in Thailand.

I don't know if other Embassies will provide this service, but the U.S. Embassy does----at this time.

edit: Typical Typos

I don't know about elsewhere but you can get a Cert. of Residence from the British (and other) Embassy in BKK.

I got cert. Of residence form jomtien immigration. Hf wrote letter that i stay in her place thays it easy...

• 4 weeks later...

Just came back from the Pattaya drivers license office today. I had all the required documents, including the ones from the immigration office.

they said I had to either:

1) go to the US embassy to get my US license "guaranteed"

Or

2) come back the next day for training and then come back again the following day for testing for a total of two days!

Has anyone else had to get their license guaranteed?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by kolohe

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me if the certificate of residence from the UK Embassy with my address in Bangkok will be valid if i take the test in Pattaya

or do i need the letter from Thai immigration

2-Do you take the test the same day you show up at the test center in Pattaya o do you have to book.

3-Is it done in 1 or 2 days

I went to the office in Bangchak last week -

24th October is the 1st test date they could give

after they told me the week before to get the residency letter from the embassy or immigration.

Thing is test is 7 weeks away letter is only valid a month.

Found then very unhelpul and very rude to my Thai girlfriend who was also'

there to take her test.We booked and walked away.

We wernt rude in anyway just asking questions they did not want to answer.

I want to do this before the letter expires cost me 3000 bht from the British Embassy total rip off.

May have been easier had i had a valid licence but even then i wiould still have to do the motorbike test right.

So is Pattaya easier to deal with?

Help appreciated.

Can anyone tell me if the certificate of residence from the UK Embassy with my address in Bangkok will be valid if i take the test in Pattaya

You should be ok.

2-Do you take the test the same day you show up at the test center in Pattaya o do you have to book.

If you are doing the whole kaboodle ie: don't have a foriegn licence of the catagory of vehicle ( car or bike ) with your photo and English language then it will take you at least 2 days at Pattaya DLT they may not be back to back days if they are busy.

No need to book a date just turn up but best to get there early before 8am to make sure you get a que number as last I heard they where only doing 80 applicants per day. They will give you an appointment for the second day.

if you allready have a licence Thai or foriegn to renew or "convert" then it can be done in 1 day ( but only for the catagories you allready have)

When you do the computerised thoery test be prepared for some very strange question/answer combos

and from my observation if the computer asks you the same question again it means you got it wrong first time so go back and double check the answer ( even if you think you're 100 percent correct ) they give you a chance to change answers right at the end before final submission.

You should be ok.

If you are doing the whole kaboodle ie: don't have a foriegn licence of the catagory of vehicle ( car or bike ) with your photo and English language then it will take you at least 2 days at Pattaya DLT they may not be back to back days if they are busy.

No need to book a date just turn up but best to get there early before 8am to make sure you get a que number as last I heard they where only doing 80 applicants per day. They will give you an appointment for the second day.

if you allready have a licence Thai or foriegn to renew or "convert" then it can be done in 1 day ( but only for the catagories you allready have)

When you do the computerised thoery test be prepared for some very strange question/answer combos

and from my observation if the computer asks you the same question again it means you got it wrong first time so go back and double check the answer ( even if you think you're 100 percent correct ) they give you a chance to change answers right at the end before final submission.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Licence expired and UK licence does not show the bike part had that issue before.

So i will have to do the full monty.

So looks like 3 days in Pattaya.

Thanks again

Potters