Warnings Of Harsh Weather, Rain, Storms For Thailand's South

webfact

Warnings of harsh weather, rain, storms for Thailand's South
By Digital Media

13661841413180-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Apr 17 – Thailand’s coastal provinces in the South have been on special alert for tropical storms, torrential rains, flooding and high tides, the weather bureau announced today.

Residents on both sides of Thailand’s southern coasts, the Gulf of Thailand on the East and the Andaman Sea on the West, have been warned to closely monitor weather and rainfall given the swift movements of low pressure areas from the upper Andaman Sea and strong southwestern winds onto the mainland.

The Meteorological Department said heavy rains will continue in several southern provinces including Petchaburi, Prachuab Kirikhan, Chumphon and Surat Thani in the next few days while waves in the Gulf of Thailand can be 2-3 metres high.

Fishermen were discouraged from going to the sea during the next few days.

So Hemkul, Songkhla disaster prevention and relief centre chief, said flash flood warnings have been issued for 16 districts after a special warning by the Southeastern Meteorological Centre.

In the southwestern province of Ranong, the weather centre said low pressure over the Andaman Sea has brought heavy rains, with the highest volumes at 183mm and 180mm in Suksamran and Kaper districts.

Weather centre chief Paiboon Iamsuwan described the rainfall as extremely high, adding that the low pressure will continue to impact Ranong for several days, and that residents of risk-prone areas, especially hillsides, were warned to remain cautious.

Further south in Trang province, the Emerald Cave in the Andaman Sea, an “Unseen Thailand” attraction in Chao Mai national park, has been closed since last night due to strong winds and waves over two metres high.

Island hopping trips to various attractions in the Andaman Sea were operated as usual today while some 300 tourists continued staying overnight on some scenic islands including Libong, Muk and Kradarn.

However, the weather bureau asked that Andaman Sea boat trips be suspended for a few days. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-17

I really don't think Thailand's weather forecasters have a clue as to what they are doing.

In Prachonchai, Buriram, we badly need some rain and I daily check out two websites for the weather, one of which is Thai Visa for my in-laws who are farmers. The ground here isrock hard and they need to start ploughing the fields.

For the past week up until yesterday it was forcasting our first real rain with predicted 23mm over the24 hours for today.

Woke up this morning, was cloudy. Then checked the web site. Rain for today has almost disappeared with only 2mm forecast of which we had none. On the upside only a little (2mm) rain forecasted for yesterday and we had about 6mm.

I have always said being a weather forecaster must be a great job. If you get it wrong - so what!

BUGGER, i am supposed to go to Ranong this saturday to do my 90 day leave the country bit for my multi visa, hopefully they are wrong as usual, dont look forward to a bumpy boat ride to the island from the yacht club even though it is a big boat.